HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricron View Post
Wow! Not as bad as I thought. But, I wasn't the first to suggest Austin was eight times larger than Denton. Never-the-less, late night ridership will be proportionally just as bad, which is the point I've been making over three replies now. So far, not one has counter argued that point successfully.

1/8 was me. I was actually referring to city population, not county population (very roughly, Austin 800,000 vs. Denton ~100,000). Despite the name, DCTA appears to only operate in 3 cities (Denton and two smaller ones), not throughout the entirety of Denton (the county). Like Capmetro operates in member cities (Austin, Leander, etc.) not everywhere in Travis County.

I will readily admit that true late-night service may not be economically viable (though I'm not sure this is a datapoint that proves it).

I'm also not sure what noise regulations Capmetro operates under. When they implemented the commuter rail, those freight runs shifted later into the night, and those seem much louder to me (and go on for much longer) than the commuter trains (disclaimer, I live a few blocks over from the tracks).

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin