HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 2:41 AM
Hindrance to Development

Wow, denial isn't just a river in Egypt! That's twice now that innov8 has failed to acknowledge the new buildings I mentioned (the totally 1980s office building and parking lot from 4th-6th, and the SoCap lofts from 6th-7th.)

As to Q and S Street, the boundaries of the R Street Special Planning district run from the south side of Q Street to the north side of S Street between I-5 and Business 80. From http://rstreet.info: "The R Street Corridor is a 27-block long, two block wide special planning district within Sacramento’s Central City Community." Everything I mentioned is within the R Street SPD, I didn't bother mentioning anything north of Q or south of S.

Take a stroll via actually leaving the house, note what's there and what isn't. I see what's going on down there because I actually walk around downtown a lot. What do I dream about? Reuse and infill. More housing. Homely old buildings as incubators for artistic talent and creativity, new buildings for the things we don't have enough of (like housing) or places where old buildings won't fill the bill (like hospitals.) Fewer parking lots. Lately I'm seeing those dreams coming to life in Midtown and on R Street, so I'm enjoying what I see for the most part. Sorry if the past few decades have been so disappointing for you, lamenting for stodgy office towers that never got built.

Also, it wasn't the State that bulldozed the blocks west of 7th Street, that was the city of Sacramento's redevelopment agency, working at the behest of the city of Sacramento and the Chamber of Commerce (and of course the federal highway administration.) The state was responsible for the cleared blocks between 7th-17th from Capitol Park south to the R Street special planning district, which is where CADA operates now. Brown Senior wanted to build a massive state office building campus, Reagan decided that he'd rather lease office space from his friends with suburban office parks, but kept demolishing blocks to provide plenty of parking for state offices that were still downtown.

And yes, plenty of blocks cleared by both parties are still parking lots. Which just demonstrates the short-sightedness of destroying existing neighborhoods in the hope that skyscrapers will automatically launch out of the ground...

Last edited by wburg; Sep 29, 2015 at 4:55 AM.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 5:44 PM

Has anyone been down 10th and J street today? Was walking by and noticed there are some construction workers on top of the Biltmore Hotel knocking down parts of the roof.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradbeds View Post
Has anyone been down 10th and J street today? Was walking by and noticed there are some construction workers on top of the Biltmore Hotel knocking down parts of the roof.
Good. That entire block needs to be razed.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatDarnSacramentan View Post
Good. That entire block needs to be razed.
Agreed. Has there been any news on the proposed Metropolitan there? Or anything on the proposed Cathedral Square project? Those two have been silent for quite a while.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 5:13 PM

Went and took some photos of the building, will post in a bit.

Last edited by bradbeds; Oct 1, 2015 at 5:14 PM. Reason: images too big.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 5:17 PM

Had to resize the photos but here they are.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 5:27 PM

I really wish the city would ED the entire 10th street block and sell it to a developer with a track record for $1

Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
I really wish the city would ED the entire 10th street block and sell it to a developer with a track record for $1
Having to walk by this block every single day, I can't agree with you more. It's a horrible eyesore compared to the rest of the downtown area.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
Maybe there are more examples, but I can only think of one time the city offered a property of that size for $1...it didn't go well.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfenoc View Post
Maybe there are more examples, but I can only think of one time the city offered a property of that size for $1...it didn't go well.
Times are different.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 10:23 PM
Hindrance to Development

The city already owns part of the block, unless they have already sold it to the Saca family, who seem to be suffering from building ED

Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
The city already owns part of the block, unless they have already sold it to the Saca family, who seem to be suffering from building ED
Let's hope they have some kind of plan with that lot. If they aren't going to develop anything there they ought to just sell it to someone who will.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 11:05 PM

The city stated that they might pursue Saca to develop a midrise up to 7 stories. If that's the case, Saca should sell to the guys building the Yamanee. That site should be no shorter than 150 feet!

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 1:27 AM
Hindrance to Development

Good idea: put the 7 story building in Midtown and the 13 story building Downtown!

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 1:29 AM
Hindrance to Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradbeds View Post
Let's hope they have some kind of plan with that lot. If they aren't going to develop anything there they ought to just sell it to someone who will.
They planned to sell (or have sold) the buildings to John Saca so he can build a 40 story building there. His ability to sustain the erecting of a building is another matter.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 2:28 AM
Megalonorcal 11M~

He was supposed to break ground this year, so maybe things are finally happening. I hope so.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 3:21 PM

Old Posted Oct 3, 2015, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma99a View Post
He was supposed to break ground this year, so maybe things are finally happening. I hope so.
Another hole in the ground brought to you by John Saca.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2015, 7:14 PM
Megalonorcal 11M~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistola916 View Post
Another hole in the ground brought to you by John Saca.
I don't blame Saca for this hole since it was due to the fire. But I hope he can pull it off, I am sure it would be a successful project

Old Posted Oct 10, 2015, 6:09 AM
Here we stAy

Still would be cool if the old Plaza Building could be incorporated into the Metropolitan, but that would seem very unlikely. Either way, here's hoping this project gets going and that stretch of J Street can have some life breathed back into it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area