HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Hollywood Center East Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Los Angeles Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Los Angeles Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 20, 2013, 5:27 PM

This is awesome and needs to get bult! I love southern California.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2013, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktrojan3921 View Post
Yeah, Los Angeles has this huge of a problem because of the California Environmental Quality Act; specifically "In other states and under NEPA [a federal law similar to CEQA], if your interests are primarily economic, you cannot sue under an environmental statute ... California has gone in a remarkably different direction." Ironically according to that Curbed article blackcat posted, most of these lawsuits have nothing to do with the environment and are often abused .
Oh believe me, it's not ironic. It's no longer a secret that weve seen NIMBYS, through their deceptive media campaigns, transform good-intentioned legislation such as CEQA into yet another outdated piece of overregulation crap.

Even as we speak, the state legislature is starting to look at reform, or possible abolishment, of the measure.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 1:05 AM

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...01300436_n.jpg

From the Millenium Hollywood Facebook page.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 4:23 AM

Fantastic. I really hope this gets built as proposed

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 6:28 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

I really would like to see this built as proposed, but I honestly don't know how they'll deal with the issue of being right on top of Avalon like that. The first 4 floors with balconies right next to Avalon will have pretty high levels of electronic music pulsating through their windows until 10:00 a.m. every Sunday morning. Sure, some of that can be mitigated with triple-paned glass (similar to what was installed in homes in El Segundo as a part of the LAX runway adjustment a few years back), but even that only blocks out 50% of the sound.

Now before people say "this is a big city, people should expect that", go to Avalon on a Saturday night. It's pretty loud until early in the morning, and it's practically every Saturday night. Even if you're a 20-something party animal, that's not healthy in the long run.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 6:33 AM
Paramoderator

Up close, the architecture actually looks rather nice.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2013, 4:42 AM

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...hollywood.html

Bloomberg with an article about the Millenium Hollywood proposal today.

Most of the criticisms are your run of the mill NIMBY complaints. The one interesting criticism comes from an official at Cal Trans, who says that the EIR's conclusion of a "less than significant," traffic impact is not substantiated by any evidence in the report.

Could be problematic going forward, considering the lawsuit(s) this project is going to face.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 1:14 AM
:o

Hollywood's Huge Capitol Records Towers Get First Big Approval

Quote:
The City Planning Commission's meeting on the huge Millennium Hollywood project has finally ended after approximately a million hours and: the twin tower plan passed unanimously (and appeals were denied), according to a rep. The very controversial plan would put two very tall towers on parking lots surrounding the Capitol Records Building (on both sides of Vine, just north of Hollywood Boulevard)--the catch is that developers Millennium Partners and Argent Ventures have only released "conceptual" plans that hypothesize towers of 585 and 485 feet respectively; they'd hold up to 492 residential units, 200 hotel rooms, office space, restaurants, a sports club, and retail, plus 2,000 parking spaces split above- and below-ground. But the "conceptual" part means they're asking for approval to build up to those heights and sizes--it's totally unclear what they actually will build (and they haven't released anyything but conceptual architectural renderings either; Gary Handel Architects and Roschen Van Cleve Architects are handling design). The project is also set to be surrounded by plazas and pedestrian space designed by James Corner Field Operations. Neighbors--especially ones up in the Hills--are freaking out about view-blocking and traffic and noise and so on; a nearby music school appealed the project saying construction would interfere with their business of teaching and playing music. Millennium Hollywood now heads to the City Council.
http://la.curbed.com/archives/2013/0...g_approval.php

In related news, Eric Garcetti has come out against the project.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 6:16 AM
testify

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife View Post
This is the type of project that can really jumpstart activity in a neighborhood brimming with potential. A 6-story stucco mid-rise won't have the same effect. I say yes to this project in its current iteration.
so true, just what this hood needs. honestly, i see more residential highrise potential in downtown hollywood than i do anywhere else, including downtown. i could really see a sustained residential boom that just takes off full throttle and transforms the place utterly.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 3:20 PM
Not far from Disneyland

More on the approval

Quote:

Despite a last-minute intervention by Los Angeles City Councilman Eric Garcetti, the city's Planning Commission moved forward Thursday with a bold development project that could add two towering skyscrapers to the Hollywood skyline.

If the project is approved by the City Council, New-York-based developer Millennium Partners will be able to build more than 1 million square feet of apartment, office and retail space on fewer than five acres of land surrounding the iconic Capitol Records building. Architectural renderings show two slender towers, including one that would be more than twice the height of the tallest building in Hollywood, which is 22 stories.

Garcetti said the proposed towers were "out of scale with the Hollywood landscape" in a statement released during the Planning Commission hearing. He also complained that the plan does not have enough support from community members.

Garcetti, who is running for mayor, has often been on the other side of debates over development projects in his Hollywood district. A key backer of recent zoning changes that allow taller and bigger buildings near subway stops in the neighborhood, he has championed dozens of new developments, including the W Hotel project just south of the proposed Millennium project site.

Opposition from Garcetti and Councilman Tom LaBonge, who also represents part of Hollywood, was not enough to sway the Planning Commission, which voted 6 to 0 to approve the project.

Commission Vice President Regina Freer said she believes it fits with the city's emerging vision of concentrating new development near transportation hubs.

"Hollywood, as a regional center, is the place where development of this kind of density does belong," she said.

Freer led Thursday's hearing after the commission's president, William Roschen, recused himself because he has worked as a consultant on the Millenium project.

Millennium officials had been seeking a development agreement with the city that would allow it to retain its building permits for 22 years — as opposed to the normal eight — in exchange for a community benefits package that includes an agreement with building trades unions and parking discounts for local residents.

But on Thursday the developer withdrew its contract proposal after city lawyers raised concerns that the entire commission might have to cede the matter to the Board of Referred Powers, a council committee that hears commission issues when there is a risk of decisions being thrown out by a judge on conflict-of-interest grounds.

At the all-day hearing, a large group of residents who oppose the project reiterated concerns about increased traffic and air pollution while construction workers and Hollywood redevelopment boosters spoke in favor of the jobs it would bring.

The project has the strong backing of Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, whose economic and business policy director praised the project as "transformative." It is also supported by the Los Angeles Area Chamber of Commerce and the head of the Los Angeles County Federation of Labor, Maria-Elena Durazo.

The chamber and the labor federation have endorsed Wendy Greuel, Garcetti's opponent in the May 21 mayoral runoff. A spokesman for Greuel said she had not made up her mind on the project.

"In the past Wendy has stated she supports the smart growth principle of developing around transit hubs, but there is still a lot of community engagement that needs to happen and certainly that dialogue needs to continue as the project works its way to council before Wendy takes a position," Jim Dantona said
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...0,363474.story

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 4:00 PM

I get the feeling Garcetti wouldn't be against it if it wasn't so ridiculously tall.

I think this ends up getting built, albeit much shorter and more in scale with the rest of high-rises in the neighborhood. I think it looks great and will be a great addition to the neighborhood. I just think it would look weird and out of scale (ala Oklahoma City and Devon Energy tower) with the rest of the surroundings at its current proposed height. There are some renderings with shorter options for the towers and they look excellent.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2013, 5:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchitup View Post
I get the feeling Garcetti wouldn't be against it if it wasn't so ridiculously tall.
Words is that he privately pledged support for the project last year, knowing this could potentially mean towers that were 500+ feet tall. I'd say he publicly reneged because it's what makes political sense, not because he's idealistically opposed.

Either way, still prefer him to Wendy Greuel.

http://handelarch.com/projects/type/...mixed-use.html

Old Posted Jun 2, 2013, 6:51 AM

Very nice design. I just found new renderings of this project:

http://www.handelarchitects.com/proj...mixed-use.html

Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 4:35 AM

If those wood surfaces turn out as depicted in the rendering... i will be a very happy guy.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 6:40 AM

Look at how beautifully it unifies everything around it! This is the classiness Hollywood so desperately needs. This thing would truly establish Hollywood as it's own skyline. I mean it is obviously a skyline in it's own right, but it needs that push, and this building will definitely deliver it. Hopefully this is future of Hollywood, and in a few years these towers won't look so "out of place".

Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 8:02 PM

the new renderings further enhance my love of this project. wow. the street integration is great and it would be a fantastic addition to the LA and Hollywood skylines.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2013, 3:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ()_T View Post
Very nice design. I just found new renderings of this project:

-
Wow, it's going to look great emerging out of that Valley as you come down the freeway.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2013, 2:34 AM

Newer renderings reflecting the reduced height, now 39 floors and 35 floors.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2013, 2:44 AM

I'd rarely say this but these shorter buildings look much better. How will the Hollywood skyline look with both these and the other Hollywood buildings mentioned to today on the LA Metro forum?

Old Posted Jul 2, 2013, 3:01 AM

wow, i just really love this project. they look fantastic. Hollywood is booming almost as much as DT.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals