HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 6:41 PM

I also miss the Canada Trust logo. Soon, there will be no more mention of Canada Trust at all. All new TDs are being built without CT signage and my new debit card has no mention of it. Very sad, for purely sentimental reasons.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 11:53 PM

Having previously worked for TD Canada Trust it's no surprise. TD has expanded aggressively on the eastern seaboard in the US and they want to market the "TD" part of their brand (of course not focusing on the Toronto-Dominion aspect) and play down the "Canada" in Canada Trust part. Canadian banks in general want a generic international neutral brand, rather than a nationalistic one that plays any homage to their Canadian roots, unfortunately.

With TD though it's more relevant to London. While the merger of TD & CT was nearly 15 years ago, the other shoe has yet to drop in the full ramifications. The name change is the more visible one, but there's more to follow. Due to the merger TDCT branches are over-saturated in London. While out going CEO Ed Clark promised that the merger would not have an impact on London, his successor is not going to honour this.

Already this year 4 branches were closed/consolidated, which to be fair is needed as some branches are literally down the street from one another (Wellington/Dundas, Wellington/Clarence), but there could be more to come. There is also talk of TD consolidating more operations to GTA, which could affect those employed @ City Centre, and call centre on York. Hopefully nothing comes of it, but it seems London is slowly bleeding away the big companies that made it what it was.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 4:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolognium View Post
They must've updated the photo, Jarad. I saw the article earlier today, and it was definitely a very dated photo. The City Centre towers still had their Canada Trust signage, before the TD merger.

I miss the Canada Trust logo.
The Free Press keeps using that early 1990s skyline shot, I've called them out on it a number of times but they keep using it.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Not every article has to have a picture. If there's no meaningful picture available, then don't use one. It seems to be one of those modernist Internet things to have a compulsive need for a photo, any photo, to include with a story at any cost. The print editions of papers got by fine for decades with photos on only some stories.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpmasterdac View Post
With TD though it's more relevant to London. While the merger of TD & CT was nearly 15 years ago, the other shoe has yet to drop in the full ramifications. The name change is the more visible one, but there's more to follow. Due to the merger TDCT branches are over-saturated in London. While out going CEO Ed Clark promised that the merger would not have an impact on London, his successor is not going to honour this.

Already this year 4 branches were closed/consolidated, which to be fair is needed as some branches are literally down the street from one another (Wellington/Dundas, Wellington/Clarence), but there could be more to come. There is also talk of TD consolidating more operations to GTA, which could affect those employed @ City Centre, and call centre on York. Hopefully nothing comes of it, but it seems London is slowly bleeding away the big companies that made it what it was.
Closing branches is one thing (I’m sure everywhere there is less demand for them, and pressure to reduce physical locations), but I haven’t heard this talk about moving operations from London to the GTA- I have actually known people in recent years who have relocated to London with TD.

I’m surprised it hasn’t happened yet- I mean, really significant cuts to the TD workforce in London. Everyone seemed pretty sure of that when the merger was taking place, but the opposite has been true and jobs have been added. Is there a real risk of this? It would be very bad for downtown London.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 6:03 PM
The Vomit Bag.

The almost brand new TD branch at the walfart dumbcentre in Hyde Park has shuttered, only after being open about 2 years. Looks fugly now that it is vacant.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2014, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
The almost brand new TD branch at the walfart dumbcentre in Hyde Park has shuttered, only after being open about 2 years. Looks fugly now that it is vacant.
Maybe they realized putting a bank in the middle of nowhere was a bad idea. I always wondered why TD put a branch there.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 2:17 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^yeah, in a three-year stretch, all the big-five major banks opened on that corner: First BMO, then TD, then Scotiabank, RBC, and finally CIBC.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 6:26 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Things are slowing down in the local ssp forum.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 6:38 PM

I would say!

Not much exciting going on in the city from a development standpoint.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 3:14 AM

Maybe Chen was the answer after all

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 3:30 AM
User Registered

Fontana's back http://www.lfpress.com/2014/11/16/fo...from-a-mistake

What else... new psychiatric hospital opened at Parkwood, Wonderland/Sunningdale roundabout opened and paving on Oxford finally finished.

Things should pick up next month when the new council / mayor get sworn in.

So... How'bout that snow?

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Nov 21, 2014, 6:19 PM
Sanity merchant

Don't mind the snow, but fuck the wind when it's that cold.

Anyone happen to go to the new Psyc hospital for a tour? I missed the damn tour as I remembered about it right at the end of the night it was on

Old Posted Nov 30, 2014, 7:01 PM
User Registered

Interesting Reddit thread asking people from Ontario what they think of London

http://www.reddit.com/r/ontario/comm..._what_is_your/

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Dec 2, 2014, 5:35 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Bob's Ultimate MEEEEEAAATTSSS!

Old Posted Dec 5, 2014, 2:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Bob's Ultimate MEEEEEAAATTSSS!
Free....pepperoni!

Old Posted Dec 9, 2014, 5:36 PM
The Vomit Bag.

baby back baby back baby back RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIBS!

Old Posted Dec 9, 2014, 9:44 PM

They building a big McDonalds out in Hyde Park (across the street from walmart) between the school and Tim Hortons

And a Sunripe Market

Old Posted Dec 10, 2014, 1:41 PM
The Vomit Bag.

yeah, saw that. my neck of the woods. they hid the park (I never found it). Hyde Parkinglot.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2015, 4:43 AM
The Vomit Bag.

McDick's Hyde Park opening is imminent.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2015, 5:21 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Comedian Bill Cosby draws heckles at London show

Quote:
An hour into Cosby’s 90-minute show at the Budweiser Gardens, a woman in the front row stood up and asked him if he wanted a drink.

Many of the 30 women who have come forward with allegations against Cosby have claimed he offered them drinks mixed with sedatives.

You have to be careful about drinking around me,” Cosby said.

The remark drew groans and some laughs from the crowd of around 1,500.

Not long afterward, a male heckler called out: “You’re a rapist.”

He was ejected from the arena and his friend arrested by on-site police.
Man, that joke is in extraordinary poor taste.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation