HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum.

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. SkyscraperPage.com also features unique skyscraper diagrams, a database of construction activity, and publishes popular skyscraper posters.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StethJeff View Post
I give Centeno all the credit in the world for helping along Main Street, shifting metro food discussions to DTLA, creating mind-blowing menu items, generating crazy buzz for the neighborhood, etc. I don't think his presence in another restaurant is in any way a bad thing. That's just my opinion. But he definitely will always get my vote.
I love Baco (or did anyway). I'd just prefer to see more diverse ownership across downtown. Centeno will run four, the same guys run Bealmans, King Eddy's, 6th St Tavern and another I can't think of. You have Barry Shy owning all these buildings and building more, Palmer with his etc, TCA designing 5 or 6 buildings within the last few years. It seems like what's essentially creating downtown is being driven by a few people. I agree that Centeno deserves credit for bringing attention downtown, but I think more diversity of ownership (and price/menu) would be healthier for downtown.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 2:05 PM

Looks like there might be some renewed action on the Central City Community Plan Update, per a DLANC agenda item (here), and specifically some movement on Arts District zoning (here). Looks like LADCP really likes live/work lofts.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 6:27 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ Some very interesting things from that report:

Item 3: it appears that AEG is applying for a liquor license for the LA Live Regal Cinemas, and to extend some hotel licenses to start serving at 8 a.m. Alcoholics, rejoice!!!

Item 4: This appears to be the Conditional Use Permit for the gay bar/lounge planned above the now defunct Yoshinoya at 4th and Broadway. Looks like they're vying for an outdoor patio, which should be pretty cool, but could cause some issues with the residential building catty corner.

Item 5: This appears to be the AMP Lofts on 7th and Santa Fe. I really hope this meets with high praise from DLANC as it's a great design.

Item 7: Continuation of the presentation for 1400 S. Figueroa, the 7-story mixed user planned for in between the two phases of AVANT across from the convention center.

Item 8: Review of proposed Tentative Tract Map changes for 1200 Figueroa, which appears to be on an expedited track with the planning department.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 9:20 PM
I like Cranes

Steel skeleton being installed at 8th and Olive. Already at the 7th floor.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 11:04 PM

What's going on at 8th and olive? all I know is the 8th/grand project and I thought it was barely reaching the first floor?

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:09 AM

Ava has actually grown on me.. i like it now and wouldn't mind moving in if i had the chance.

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesDreamin View Post
Ava has actually grown on me.. i like it now and wouldn't mind moving in if i had the chance.
It's functional. It activates a corner that sorely needed it. Like an average looking woman that can make a mean chicken souffle.

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:08 AM

Taken today:

Wilshire Grand

Bloc

Joe's Parking Structure

Blossom Plaza

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelbeen View Post
Taken today:
Bloc
The WG footprint looks immense. Its going to have a huge impact on DTLA when it opens.

I bet Macy's curses every day that barricade is up.

Thanks for the pics.

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alki View Post
The WG footprint looks immense. Its going to have a huge impact on DTLA when it opens.

I bet Macy's curses every day that barricade is up.

Thanks for the pics.
Good. Screw them. That Macys has always sucked and they did nothing about it.

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:09 AM
I like Cranes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaycruz View Post
What's going on at 8th and olive? all I know is the 8th/grand project and I thought it was barely reaching the first floor?
Um…that project spans the block to Olive

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:12 AM
I like Cranes

Quote:
Originally Posted by StethJeff View Post
Good. Screw them. That Macys has always sucked and they did nothing about it.
That really isn't true. Over the last several years, that Macy's has continually improved. Not Great, but improved. They also made plans to spend millions on the store to upgrade it to flagship status, before the current developer bought the mall. It only makes sense to postpone the upgrade, and carry that out while the mall is in complete reconstruction.

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomJames View Post
Um…that project spans the block to Olive
To be fair, the project has always been known as "8th & Grand." You are correct, but I understand the confusion. Especially since there's a completely separate development proposed at the corner of 8th & Olive Streets.

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:49 AM

^^^ And that's what I was getting at. I know the project spans olive as well but I thought on the opposite corner something was going on because the last I heard and saw for myself.... this project was no where near getting to the 7th floor. They must have picked up some speed..

Old Posted Yesterday, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaFC View Post
It's functional. It activates a corner that sorely needed it. Like an average looking woman that can make a mean chicken souffle.
This is about the best you can say about that thing. It's functional, but a total eyesore. It will look dated and shabby in a few short years. Also, it does need to be seen in person - the materials look a lot cheaper when you see them up close.

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:06 PM
Hazy

Hating on anything TCA does has gotten really old really fast. We know it's ugly yes. Now can we let it go?

Has there been any update on Grand Avenue? There's been zero news ever since it's redesign.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations