HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Aug 26, 2011, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxSUNSfan View Post
I don't think anyone on this site confused UA's new med school downtown for an ASU venture. However, there has been talk of a future ASU School of Medicine in partnership with Mayo; perhaps someone mentioned the downtown Bio Med Campus as an ideal location for it?
What is this ASU/Mayo partnership you are talking about? This is the first I have heard about it.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2011, 7:09 PM

Old Posted Aug 26, 2011, 7:17 PM

Maybe I missed it, but what in that article leads you to believe that ASU is building a med school? Why would Mayo team up to build a med school at ASU? Unless something big happened that I completely missed, Mayo already has its own med school in Rochester. Further, that article talks about ASU moving departments to Mayo's facilities in Scottsdale. I'd imagine that if they did put a med school here that was a partnership between ASU and Mayo, it would be located at Mayo. They already have the hospital, space to build more facilities, and apparently Mayo is taking ASU's existing programs into its facilities up north.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2011, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westbev93 View Post
Maybe I missed it, but what in that article leads you to believe that ASU is building a med school? Why would Mayo team up to build a med school at ASU? Unless something big happened that I completely missed, Mayo already has its own med school in Rochester. Further, that article talks about ASU moving departments to Mayo's facilities in Scottsdale. I'd imagine that if they did put a med school here that was a partnership between ASU and Mayo, it would be located at Mayo. They already have the hospital, space to build more facilities, and apparently Mayo is taking ASU's existing programs into its facilities up north.
Never said they were building, but there has been talk of a future med school with Mayo as the teaching hospital; must I do the research for ya'll all the time?

“It was a choice that Dr. Crow and his administration regrettably had to make in order to provide its primary mission on the colleges and cut a number of investments,” he said. “With respect to the Mayo involvement, I think that’s why a medical school would be a decade away.”
http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/s...07/story1.html

Last edited by phxSUNSfan; Aug 26, 2011 at 7:31 PM.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2011, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Never said they were building, but there has been talk of a future med school with Mayo as the teaching hospital; must I do the research for ya'll all the time?

“It was a choice that Dr. Crow and his administration regrettably had to make in order to provide its primary mission on the colleges and cut a number of investments,” he said. “With respect to the Mayo involvement, I think that’s why a medical school would be a decade away.”
http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/s...07/story1.html
Great news if it does happen. I need to improve my googleing skills, i looked for some stuff but missed those two article.s

Old Posted Aug 27, 2011, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempe_Duck View Post
Great news if it does happen. I need to improve my googleing skills, i looked for some stuff but missed those two article.s
Here is more news about the talks that are ongoing concerning a new ASU Med School, this is from today:

"ASU and Mayo have worked on several projects together over the past eight years, and are in early talks about the possibility of developing a joint medical school, according to John Noseworthy, president and CEO of Mayo Clinic."
http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...s-to-mayo.html

Despite this thread being for CityScape, this is important news and it will no doubt be aggressively pursued for the downtown campus which would be good for business at CityScape. As of now there isn't enough reason nor momentum to create a thread for "ASU Med School."

Old Posted Aug 27, 2011, 11:33 PM

Interesting...do we need two medical schools downtown? I thought there were ABOR issues with ASU getting a medical school.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2011, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy View Post
Interesting...do we need two medical schools downtown? I thought there were ABOR issues with ASU getting a medical school.
Why not have two medical schools downtown?

Old Posted Aug 28, 2011, 12:24 AM

We need 2 medical schools to create doctors and nurses for our state. We are in or are facing a coming shortage.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2011, 3:12 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy View Post
Yes, we need as many Medical schools as possible. We're at a huge higher education deficit, that includes Medical Higher Education.

Historically there have been ABOR/UofA issues about ASU getting a Medical school. Luckily Dr. Crow seems to have enough power that he's been able to get a lot of stuff done that we all thought we'd never see.

Though unless I totally missed it I haven't seen the word "Downtown" in any of this ASU/Mayo stuff. One article even mentioned Peggy Neely's name. The thought could be to build a Medical campus/clinic on any of that open desert in Neely's district by the Mayo clinic.

Of course I'd/we'd prefer a small Mayo Clinic and ASU campus Downtown, helping to fill out the BioMed campus.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2011, 4:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
Though unless I totally missed it I haven't seen the word "Downtown" in any of this ASU/Mayo stuff. One article even mentioned Peggy Neely's name. The thought could be to build a Medical campus/clinic on any of that open desert in Neely's district by the Mayo clinic.
Peggy Neely's name was mentioned because of the Bioinformatics and other ASU research departments moving to Mayo's N. Phoenix campus; however, the Mayor, City, and ASU are keen on new hospitals and med schools in the city's core. This quote is from the first article I posted:

"Gordon hopes that will result in a new medical school in Phoenix, and he is pushing that agenda. He wants to see a cluster of hospitals and medical schools in the city’s central core."

There are other articles that mention a future ASU med school in downtown but I'll have to look them up and post later...off to Copper Blues (???) then Amsterdam...

Old Posted Aug 28, 2011, 5:22 AM
BANNED

There's a mix. All the sexies at copper blues then wiener fest at Amsterdam.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2011, 5:38 PM

Quote:
We're at a huge higher education deficit, that includes Medical Higher Education.
If there's anything this country doesn't have, it's a higher education deficit. Proof = all of the college grads working at Burger King or as admins.

EDIT: we can substitute "Arizona" or "Phoenix" for "country", and it reads the same.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2011, 6:07 PM
Skyriser

BS. Better educated areas tend to have a vastly higher quality of life. The fact that there are college grads working at Burger King is the result of a double whammy of older workers staying on longer than they otherwise would have and the fact that so many people started taking classes at once. Experience counts the most, leaving uneducated young males as the worst off in the recession--they can't even get the job at Burger King.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2011, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicelord John View Post
There's a mix. All the sexies at copper blues then wiener fest at Amsterdam.
LMAO, I prefer a wiener fest.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2011, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
BS. Better educated areas tend to have a vastly higher quality of life.
Correlation, not causation. Education is a more complicated topic than people give it credit for. Thinking that education -- at any cost, without direction, and misaligned to economic demand -- is a magic bullet, is whimsical.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2011, 6:42 PM

FYI: the subtext under what I'm saying, is that degree mills do not improve the quality of life or the national perception of the educational strength of an area. And it seems that people (especially in Phoenix) don't give much weight to the quality of education, just to as many people as possible getting pieces of paper saying they went to school.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2011, 6:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
LMAO, I prefer a wiener fest.
well then it sounds like you ended your night at the right venue.

I've been to Amsterdam a few times. It's not bad, and they have Sam Adams Cherry Wheat which is kind of hard to find (I'm publicly admitting I like it???) and the people there are usually nice.

My ex gf used to love going to gay bars and I've had some very bad experiences at them, so my positive review of Amsterdam carries lots of weight, hahahaa.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2011, 8:32 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxDowntowner View Post
If there's anything this country doesn't have, it's a higher education deficit. Proof = all of the college grads working at Burger King or as admins.

EDIT: we can substitute "Arizona" or "Phoenix" for "country", and it reads the same.
I couldn't disagree more when it comes to AZ and Phx. Sure on the whole America's higher education system is the best and most widely spread of any country in the world. However when it comes to higher education in AZ you basically have 3 choices, ASU, UA, NAU. GCU is marginal at best and places like Prescott College are hardly on anyone's radar.

I'd recommend reading "Triumph of the City" by Edward Glaesar, he argues convincingly about how important it is for Cities/Metropolitan areas to be leaders in higher education.

I'm not wishing for Arizona or Phoenix to have more diploma mills, just the opposite! I wish ASU West and Poly could spin off into their own schools so ASU could reduce enrollment, increase costs and increase selectivity and quality. We need a multifaceted higher education with different types and sizes of schools for different type of people.

PHX & Arizona suffer terribly from "brain drain." People leave AZ for college and never come back. Graduates often stay near where their college was due to a large alumni network that can help them with employment. For every Sandra Day O'Connor that leaves for Stanford and returns, there are hundreds more that don't come back.

As far as Medical Higher Education goes there's been numerous studies that have shown that Arizona is already running short on Doctors. With the large Snowbird population continuing to age and huge amounts of rural poor (on Indian Reservations and the like) we're going to need more Doctors to keep up the pace.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2011, 8:45 PM

Quote:
I couldn't disagree more when it comes to AZ and Phx. Sure on the whole America's higher education system is the best and most widely spread of any country in the world. However when it comes to higher education in AZ you basically have 3 choices, ASU, UA, NAU. GCU is marginal at best and places like Prescott College are hardly on anyone's radar.

I'd recommend reading "Triumph of the City" by Edward Glaesar, he argues convincingly about how important it is for Cities/Metropolitan areas to be leaders in higher education.

I'm not wishing for Arizona or Phoenix to have more diploma mills, just the opposite! I wish ASU West and Poly could spin off into their own schools so ASU could reduce enrollment, increase costs and increase selectivity and quality. We need a multifaceted higher education with different types and sizes of schools for different type of people.

PHX & Arizona suffer terribly from "brain drain." People leave AZ for college and never come back. Graduates often stay near where their college was due to a large alumni network that can help them with employment. For every Sandra Day O'Connor that leaves for Stanford and returns, there are hundreds more that don't come back.

As far as Medical Higher Education goes there's been numerous studies that have shown that Arizona is already running short on Doctors. With the large Snowbird population continuing to age and huge amounts of rural poor (on Indian Reservations and the like) we're going to need more Doctors to keep up the pace.
True, not only that but most ASU, AU, and NAU grads are recruited out of state because of the lack of employment opportunities in Arizona. The only huge deficit in Arizona now is for doctors and why another medical school in Phoenix is a necessity. An ASU/Mayo school would produce high caliber graduates due to Mayo's resources, facilities, research capability, and staff.

ASU West should spin off as Phoenix State University , and Phoenix College should become a highly selective 4-year liberal arts college; it has that nice historic campus atmosphere.

Last edited by phxSUNSfan; Aug 28, 2011 at 9:43 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest