HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 8:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottharding View Post
This is good, and at the same time, short sighted. Instead of just moving, they should be expanding. Two new liquor stores downtown.

The article says that even at one store per every 48,000 residents (!), the state is twenty stores short. Utah is a stupid place.
At one for every 48,000 residents, SLC is already over quota, though. We have 7 liquor stores (including the two wine stores) in SLC.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 1:47 PM

Driving by the Tower 8 site this morning, they have road barricades up blocking the northern most westbound lanes on 100 South. Seems like things are happening. Someone earlier said an Oakland worker said groundbreaking would be late March.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
At one for every 48,000 residents, SLC is already over quota, though. We have 7 liquor stores (including the two wine stores) in SLC.
Yeah but people in SLC drink a lot more than most places in Utah too.

I just wish there was one anywhere between downtown, foothill, and Sugarhouse.

And while they're rebuilding old crappy stores, they should consider doing the same to the South Salt Lake store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nushiof View Post
Driving by the Tower 8 site this morning, they have road barricades up blocking the northern most westbound lanes on 100 South. Seems like things are happening. Someone earlier said an Oakland worker said groundbreaking would be late March.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nushiof View Post

Yeees, Can't happen soon enough!

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 6:17 PM

The interesting thing now that the economy appears to be slowing nationally as long as it doesn't fall off a cliff we might see more downtown projects move forward that have been idling for lack of manpower. My guess is recession will happen in the second half of this year or first half of 2020 and Utah will see a milder one which again could help move some projects forward.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 4:23 PM

There is a group of about five men who have parked and gathered on the Liberty Sky lot this morning. They have been taking measurements and appear to be having a meeting of some sort. Minimal news I know, but Boyer's website says groundbreaking is Spring 2019, so I'm interested in any activity.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 5:59 PM
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
I think that location would be perfect for a 20+ story apartment or mixed use building.

I did some digging and found the following:

https://aca.slcgov.com/Citizen/Cap/C...howInspection=

I would guess this is 3 test borings along 2nd East and 5 test borings along 2nd South.

I found an old plan for the site prior to it being sold: http://www.cushmanwakefield.us/en/pr...06-1?p=1&pl=no

Both this building (205 E 200 S) was bought by Unico at the same time they bought 250 E 200 S. The same owner is listed for both but it may be a typo for the 250 E building: UNICO 205 EAST 200 SOUTH CENTER LLC

Looking at the Unico page for properties in Utah it only lists 3 but, 250 E 200 South is the only property that is listed under the development option: https://unicoprop.com/properties/?p_...86&p_region=72

I doubt they would bring down the 16 story 250 E building for a new development when the 6 story 205 E building sits empty and they have test borings around the 205 E property.

So while it is early to speculate, as long as the building is over 100' tall and 375' or less, the permitting process should be quick as the planning commission review would be relatively short as no CBDR would be needed.

So what are the thoughts that will take the place of the current building?
Just an update on this, Unico actually did submit a CBSDR for a development on this site 2 days ago:

https://citizenportal.slcgov.com/Cit...howInspection=

Keep an eye out for any attachments! I wonder why they need to do a CBSDR. I doubt it's because it's over 375 feet...but you never know.

It is this corner, in case any of you are wondering:

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 10:07 PM

That building couldn't be demolished soon enough. One of the ugliest buildings in the city.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
That building couldn't be demolished soon enough. One of the ugliest buildings in the city.
It’s not a terrible design if it were say a museum. It does have a boxy Guggenheim type feel. It’s a substantial building, I’d be surprised if someone were looking to demolish it when choosing another location would likely be more cost effective. This building just needs windows, especially at ground level. I could see a developer coming in and doing something similar as what was done to the library up at the University of Utah.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 11:50 PM
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old&New View Post
It’s not a terrible design if it were say a museum. It does have a boxy Guggenheim type feel. It’s a substantial building, I’d be surprised if someone were looking to demolish it when choosing another location would likely be more cost effective. This building just needs windows, especially at ground level. I could see a developer coming in and doing something similar as what was done to the library up at the University of Utah.
Would they take core samples if all they were planning was a retool of the existing building?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2019, 1:35 AM

[/QUOTE]

This would make a great club. just add some LED light panels on the exterior and a bar or two on ground level and it would be bumpin'

Old Posted Mar 23, 2019, 1:55 AM

SEARS BLOCK STUDY

image from Sparano + Mooney Architects

This design and planning study re-imagines the potential for a large urban site on the edge of downtown Salt Lake City, the former Sears Department Store block. The design considers a mixture of uses including various affordable and market rate housing types, commercial office buildings, a retail center, and a multistory boutique hotel. The master plan contains two primary pedestrian circulation loops into the mid-block activity center with its retail and restaurant amenities. The building development is lowest at the perimeter and builds in height towards the center, creating the potential for ideal solar access, views, and a porous pedestrian interface into the block. A series of rooftop amenities offer user engagement and assets within the larger city context, and provide viewing opportunities to the surrounding Wasatch and Oquirrh mountain ranges.
http://www.sparanomooney.com/sears-block-study

Old Posted Mar 23, 2019, 2:26 AM

Regent Street Hotel:

Update as of 01/02/2019

The property located at 45 East 200 South which was owned by Regent 200, LLC has been deeded to a new owner. The new owner is Dakota Pacific Regent, LLC.

The new owner's address is
299 South Main Street #2450
Salt Lake City, Utah 84101

https://dakotapacific.com/

Old Posted Mar 23, 2019, 3:57 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quarters was having there 1 year anniversary thing tonight and they had their privet room open to the public... I went in there and saw the most awsome thing ever... they actually kept the old neon sign from Club Manhattan and hung it up on the wall in their private room. I thought some of the peeps on here might appreciate that.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2019, 7:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old&New View Post
I think it would need to be pretty significantly overhauled for me to like it. It needs a lot more than just windows - some color would be nice too, and the section that bulges out just above ground level is imposing and ugly. But you're right, the SHAPE of the building is fine and it COULD look nice. But it would take a lot.

That said, a much taller and nicer building on that corner would be preferred. I don't have much love for most mid/late-century architecture.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2019, 2:51 PM

I really like the look of the upper floors of this building. Adding transparency to the street level, and some really cool art space to the blank wall area above street could be accomplished without difficulty. I wonder if a very slick glass mid-rise residential could be added to the back portion? I don't know why not. It's often done, and this base has tremendous appeal for adding a very chic tower. It would be easy to blend an attractive tower at the back, with the existing structure(think mixed-use W boutique hotel/residential). The potential of this building would have any savvy architectural firm drooling with its potential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanskeUtahn View Post

This would make a great club. just add some LED light panels on the exterior and a bar or two on ground level and it would be bumpin'[/QUOTE]

Old Posted Mar 23, 2019, 6:21 PM
One Thing At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
Quarters was having there 1 year anniversary thing tonight and they had their privet room open to the public... I went in there and saw the most awsome thing ever... they actually kept the old neon sign from Club Manhattan and hung it up on the wall in their private room. I thought some of the peeps on here might appreciate that.

They had it restored by Brimley Neon. Brimley is a multi generation family neon business and has a super cool store front on 300 west near Target.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2019, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
It looks like they wanted to convert the Data Center to Office and build a 7-story parking garage adjacent to it. Not a fan of the parking garage on the street, but like the re-activation of that corner. My office is an a re-used data center, and the building is now filled creative office space.
Does anyone know if this old rendering is still the plan then?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2019, 11:30 PM

Not sure if this rendering is old or not, or still the plan, first time I'm seeing it. Looks great to me. Would be better with a tower above the parking structure.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2019, 9:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperlord View Post
Regent Street Hotel:

Update as of 01/02/2019

The property located at 45 East 200 South which was owned by Regent 200, LLC has been deeded to a new owner. The new owner is Dakota Pacific Regent, LLC.

The new owner's address is
299 South Main Street #2450
Salt Lake City, Utah 84101

https://dakotapacific.com/
Dakota Pacific specializes in strip malls, all things suburban, and structures under 4 stories. How promising.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West