Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 4:12 PM
Plenary pleasures.

^^Here's more information about the new facility:

https://lbnf.fnal.gov/index.html

Here's a good take, related to economic impact, within the link above:

"Major Findings:

Economic Impact
From 2016 to 2026, the economic impact of LBNF/DUNE in the Chicago region will total $1.1 billion in output and $570 million in earnings for local residents. The impact on jobs for local residents will peak at nearly 2,000 in the year 2024.
From 2016 to 2026, the economic impact of LBNF/DUNE in the western South Dakota region will total $860 million in output and $330 million in earnings for local residents. The impact on jobs for local residents will peak at nearly 1,800 jobs in 2020.
Fiscal Impact
The total fiscal impact of LBNF/DUNE for the State of Illinois would be $21.0 million in tax revenue from 2016 to 2026, peaking at $2.7 million in annual revenue in 2024.
The total fiscal impact of LBNF/DUNE for the State of South Dakota would be $10.6 million in tax revenue from 2016 to 2026, peaking at $2.5 million in annual revenue in 2020."

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 5:14 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

It's too bad Braidwood didn't pan out, then Chicago would be at the forefront of both accelerator and reactor neutrino programs. (I'm also a neutrino physicist, but most of the experiments I work on are in Antarctica).

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 3:13 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
It's too bad Braidwood didn't pan out, then Chicago would be at the forefront of both accelerator and reactor neutrino programs. (I'm also a neutrino physicist, but most of the experiments I work on are in Antarctica).
That is so awesome! I could only dream of being that smart...my biggest dream was to be an astrophysicist, but I settled on architecture instead

I'm embarrassed to ask, but what is the Braidwood thing? Was a DOE lab or something plannned there? I am ignorant about this.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 3:16 PM

Mondelez backs food biz incubator the Hatchery

The Hatchery Chicago is getting a boost from Mondelez International.

Mondelez's investment in the incubator for food businesses is one of several the Deerfield-based company is making in an effort to promote growth opportunities in snacking as part of its innovation and venture hub, SnackFutures.

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/cons...bator-hatchery

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 3:21 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
an effort to promote growth opportunities in snacking
i don't know why, but that phrase made me laugh.

corporate speak is so fucking weird.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 3:42 PM
TL;DR

"Growth opportunities in snacking" sounds like something Martin Shkreli would use to describe picking up chicks at a bar...

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 4:10 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
That is so awesome! I could only dream of being that smart...my biggest dream was to be an astrophysicist, but I settled on architecture instead

I'm embarrassed to ask, but what is the Braidwood thing? Was a DOE lab or something plannned there? I am ignorant about this.
Braidwood is a nuclear reactor a bit South of Chicago. There was a proposal to build a reactor neutrino experiment there where there would be a near and far detector each measuring the type of neutrino at that distance from the reactor so that neutrino oscillation properties may be inferred. Here is a description (I think this is from 2005 or 2006). http://braidwood.uchicago.edu/project_web.ps

But it didn't get funded, and instead we got the Daya Bay (China), RENO (S. Korea), and Double Chooz (France) experiments.

DUNE is very exciting though. Right now the two big long-baseline neutrino accelerators are at Fermilab (the NuMi beam, used for MINOS, Minerva and NOvA) and J-PARC in Japan (used for T2K). DUNE will be bigger and better and make Fermilab the undisputed neutrino accelerator king, bringing thousands of physicists from all over the world to Fermilab for collaboration meetings, detector construction, and detector operations.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Mar 26, 2019 at 5:14 PM.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 1:16 AM

Milwaukee gets 2020 DNC

Milwaukee to host 2020 DNC

First of all congrats to Milwaukee...the city has a lot to offer and it is a great stage for them.

I posted here because their could be some benefit for Chicago.. overflow hospitality, restaurant visits and tourism. And alot of flights into O'Hare with rental cars.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 1:33 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpIllInoIs View Post
Milwaukee to host 2020 DNC

First of all congrats to Milwaukee...the city has a lot to offer and it is a great stage for them.

I posted here because their could be some benefit for Chicago.. overflow hospitality, restaurant visits and tourism. And alot of flights into O'Hare with rental cars.
Absolutely the people from the coasts are going to learn a lot about our largest northern Suburb during the convention.

Chicagoland will certainly get a lot of overflow.

Chicago could reap residual benefits of Milwaukee hosting the Democratic National Convention in 2020.

https://www.bizjournals.com/milwauke...-from-dnc.html

By Patrick Leary
Reporter, Milwaukee Business Journal

Mar 22, 2019, 6:00am EDT

Chicago could reap the most residual benefits of any municipality, given its profile, proximity and the resources it can offer visitors.

Last edited by bnk; Mar 30, 2019 at 7:01 PM.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2019, 10:29 PM

Tech startup to hire more than 500 in Chicago

Quote:
Tech startup Xsell Technologies plans to add more than 500 employees to its Chicago headquarters over the next three years.

Most of the jobs will involve data science and data annotation work, says Xsell Healthcare President Brendan Downing.

“Chicago has the best talent in the world for our business,” Downing said in a statement.

Xsell was founded in Chicago in 2014 and is headquartered in Fulton Market. The company currently has 133 employees, including six in Madison, Wis.
Also here’s the mayor’s press release on the same information.

I wonder where they’re going to lease space for these employees. The only location they’re leasing that I could find by googling was 170 Sangamon, which looks pretty tiny.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2019, 12:13 AM
The City

^ Awesome news

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Mar 30, 2019, 7:31 PM
The City

Rahm talking about Chicago as a Crypto hub as well as its tech workforce, etc in general:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/benjami.../#735230fa61e4

Reading this kind of makes me sad. Will a Mayor Lightfoot even be out there talking like this? Will there be somebody out there pitching for Chicago once Emanuel’s out of office?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2019, 7:43 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Rahm talking about Chicago as a Crypto hub as well as its tech workforce, etc in general:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/benjami.../#735230fa61e4

Reading this kind of makes me sad. Will a Mayor Lightfoot even be out there talking like this? Will there be somebody out there pitching for Chicago once Emanuel’s out of office?
Well, Lightfoot certainly better than Preckwinkle. But if she is gonna govern with a pro-business, cheerleader attitude, she is certainly playing those cards close to the vest. Neither candidate wants to be seen as too cozy with big business in the run-up to the election.

I think Lightfoot will certainly be business-friendly, but I don't see her personally going to other cities or countries and cheerleading for business expansion in Chicago. Probably the best we can hope for is that she provides plenty of resources to World Business Chicago and similar agencies.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2019, 3:30 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Well, Lightfoot certainly better than Preckwinkle. But if she is gonna govern with a pro-business, cheerleader attitude, she is certainly playing those cards close to the vest. Neither candidate wants to be seen as too cozy with big business in the run-up to the election.

I think Lightfoot will certainly be business-friendly, but I don't see her personally going to other cities or countries and cheerleading for business expansion in Chicago. Probably the best we can hope for is that she provides plenty of resources to World Business Chicago and similar agencies.
I just hope Lightfoot doesn’t waste too much of her energy being beholden to this nonsense:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...330-story.html

We need to move Chicago forward in our increasingly global and polyethnic society, not backwards towards indoctrinating another generation into the race-baiting trap

Old Posted Apr 1, 2019, 12:07 AM

Quote:
I just hope Lightfoot doesn’t waste too much of her energy being beholden to this nonsense:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...330-story.html

We need to move Chicago forward in our increasingly global and polyethnic society, not backwards towards indoctrinating another generation into the race-baiting trap
Lol a complete waste of time for either candidate

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 3:19 PM
Plenary pleasures.

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/greg...ilm-and-tv-biz

This could be interesting - Given that there is a now well-established film/tv filming industry in Chicago with a governor that is not only willing to provide additional tax credits but also has familial ties to the industry (billionaire producer Gigi Pritzker is his cousin), I wonder if the studios will actually take note and possibly reconsider or even leave Georgia, or if the bloviating by Hollywood types is nothing but hot air.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
https://www.chicagobusiness.com/greg...ilm-and-tv-biz

This could be interesting - Given that there is a now well-established film/tv filming industry in Chicago with a governor that is not only willing to provide additional tax credits but also has familial ties to the industry (billionaire producer Gigi Pritzker is his cousin), I wonder if the studios will actually take note and possibly reconsider or even leave Georgia, or if the bloviating by Hollywood types is nothing but hot air.
I've heard credible rumors that Pritzker is aggressively pro film and intends to expand the tax credit program. To hear him going after Georgia like this is not surprising.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 7:25 PM
yes

Quote:

Right. A corporate lawyer who made partner at one of the largest law firms in the world won't be able to pitch to business - when pitching businesses - and solving their very complex problems - is all she did in the private sector.

Let's stop acting like some sidewalk Greenpeace petitioner just won or something. I think Lightfoot will be able to balance both - downtown business environment and the "neighborhood" issues.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2019, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiphile View Post
Right. A corporate lawyer who made partner at one of the largest law firms in the world won't be able to pitch to business - when pitching businesses - and solving their very complex problems - is all she did in the private sector.

Let's stop acting like some sidewalk Greenpeace petitioner just won or something. I think Lightfoot will be able to balance both - downtown business environment and the "neighborhood" issues.
Yep. What is shows is that she was able to control her image to a particular base to get elected. I'm friends with a guy on Facebook who is a hardcore progressive, who was all about Lori Lightfoot until just a few days ago when he dug deeper and found out these things. He basically did a complete 180 and started going hard for Preckwinkle. It was pretty funny actually - you could see the personal crisis unfold.

Anyway, I mean I'm sure she's more progressive than some other people but from what I've read - don't expect that she's going to just neglect downtown. Actually last night in her acceptance speech she even reinforced that all of Chicago, including downtown, needs growth (or in downtown's case - just continue it). So we'll see, but it's positive to get someone who understands investment in some ways in some of the under-served communities is necessary to get the entire city to benefit.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2019, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post

Anyway, I mean I'm sure she's more progressive than some other people but from what I've read - don't expect that she's going to just neglect downtown. Actually last night in her acceptance speech she even reinforced that all of Chicago, including downtown, needs growth (or in downtown's case - just continue it). So we'll see, but it's positive to get someone who understands investment in some ways in some of the under-served communities is necessary to get the entire city to benefit.
https://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...403-story.html

Quote:
Bailey said that while downtown development “may change course a little bit” under the new administration, he is confident growth will continue. If development moves out to the neighborhoods, Related Midwest would be ready to take part.

“We are not only focused on large projects like The 78 and market-rate developments, but we are extremely focused on affordable housing,” Bailey said. “I think that this administration can lead us to a renaissance of affordable housing development that we would like to be an enormous part of.”
Read: "Mayor Lightfoot, we'll play ball"

I think the fact that Lightfoot isn’t from here is a huge plus, she knows what drew/kept her in Chicago and can take a very pragmatic approach to re-creating the city’s image from inside-out. Downtown development was huge under Rahm and he did a great job changing the city’s image among the business community. But Lightfoot seems to realize that the next step is changing the city’s image in the minds of residents and potential residents. That can’t happen while huge swaths of the city are neglected. People who don’t live here won’t pay attention to the nuance of the neighborhoods, they see “20 shot in Chicago” and decide they don’t want to move here.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest