HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 4:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKChaz View Post
I could be mistaken but don't believe NYC allows corp signs atop buildings any longer - since maybe the 60s. MetLife would be a grandfathered example.
Not sure how that would be possible with Times Square existing today, and there are definitely signs on semi-recently built building like the Citigroup tower in LIC/Queens, and MetLife putting up signage in the 90s I believe, so it would have to be a newish rule.

I guess my biggest beef is with the idea of banning signs based on feelings or corporate hatred. I think the best approach is instead to regulate it by having the signs be done tastefully. You even mentioned your love for neon lights, and I 100% agree that they are beautiful. LED is obviously the future, and alone with being able to do wonderful jobs at lighting up buildings in ways we never could have before, they can also enable us to encourage these corporations to put some effort into their designs.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ilt-today.html

Other rules changed too, doesn't mean they aren't a part of what made New York(and likewise Chicago) great, and the rule changes definitely aren't always for the best. Sure, a lot of people despise the Trump tower sign, but most signs are inoffensive or pleasant to look at in my book. The PanAm building(or MetLife now as you pointed out) would never have been as iconic as it was without PanAm on its top. Signage when done right can be iconic at best, and usually inoffensive.

There are few instances that I can think of in which it was horrifyingly ugly, or made a building worse. I honestly think people hate the Trump sign not for its look but for who it stands for, and if we remove the politics from it, it really isn't bad looking, especially at night.

Off the top of my head, I can think of several well done signs in Chicago:

The Drake

Prudential 1

CNA on both buildings were/are inoffensive and worked with the towers they were/are built on

Chase Building, which is my favorite building in the city is a solid example of a sign being inoffensive(not great, but still, not a detraction), although it appears others disagree here?

BCBS Building's badges are just damn wonderful

UBS looks sleek

NBC Tower's is gorgeous, and compliments the art deco look perfectly

Citigroup center's is pretty meh(and that's my feeling on the BMO tower's)

You mentioned Loews, and I like that one

Boeing's is okay

And that's about all I can think of... but I think my point is made.

People need to chillax about signage in this great city

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 4:40 AM

Don't forget London House, Bonobo. I like that one. Fits perfectly.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 5:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 View Post
Not sure how that would be possible with Times Square existing today, and there are definitely signs on semi-recently built building like the Citigroup tower in LIC/Queens, and MetLife putting up signage in the 90s I believe, so it would have to be a newish rule.
This article references a 1963 zoning change to prevent signs on tops of buildings. That doesn't mean exceptions haven't been made, not certain about that.
https://www.crainsnewyork.com/articl...ing10-20170607

Was not referring to billboards and street level signage with their own zoning requirements. And then Times Square is its own animal with rules that require signage.
Am not suggesting anyone should like or dislike what any city does. Simply stating there are differences.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 1:13 PM
BANNED

One other Chicago staple worth mentioning, Bonobo, is the Santa Fe sign (R.I.P.), which was replaced by Motorola.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
One other Chicago staple worth mentioning, Bonobo, is the Santa Fe sign (R.I.P.), which was replaced by Motorola.
Very good points Sky and Pitts, and I am willing to admit from my point of the argument that the Motorola sign is pretty freaking bad

Old Posted Dec 31, 2018, 5:49 PM

The location for this building illustrates how the West Loop has evolved as a very strong office market. Back in the day, the West Loop was known for lower level brick loft buildings that housed manufacturing companies (esp. electrical and food processing). As things changed, I became involved in the financing of the current multi level parking garage that will be demolished for BMO Harris building to be completed. In the late 1980's this garage was built in response to what was considered an influx of "loft office developments" and the original owners felt there would be strong demand. Actually there was not the degree of demand at that time and the property was foreclosed due to substandard demand and revenues. I believe Amtrak owns the property now and the not so attractive parking garage will be demolished shortly.

The proposed building is attractive but to me there seems to be an abundance of these blue glassed 50-60 story building being built lately. Wish this had some real "wow" factor as you see this building coming east on the the Eisenhower. Nevertheless it will be a nice addition.

One last question.....where will all the commuter parkers now park in the area? So many lots are being built on and this parking garage has a large parking capacity. Like to hear others thoughts on the West Loop parking situation. Thanks.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2018, 10:23 PM

^^^ They won't park, they will take one of the trains literally right next to this site as has been the case with all the other parking less (or close to it) 50-60 floor glass boxes you reference. Turns out the automobile isn't the end all be all it was thought to be back when this garage was built...

Old Posted Jan 2, 2019, 4:04 AM
The City

^ People will still drive, and this tower will still have on site parking.

But yes, encouraging transit use will always be the priority

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 12:14 AM

Any contractors have any news on a start date/any new news on this one its been about 4 months since we last heard an announcement???? Ik its getting built but what details might somebody have?

Last edited by Hourstrooper; Apr 12, 2019 at 8:46 PM.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrow View Post

I could go on and on. Though I generally dislike signs on buildings because it seems so 2nd or 3rd tier city, if the design and placement are well thought out and act as an adornment to the building, I give them a pass.
New York is as first tier as it gets and they have some building signs, so I'm not sure that holds true. CNN, MetLife, H&M come to mind.

EDIT: Missed the whole conversation about this old comment, oops.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2019, 5:00 PM
THAT Guy

Old Posted Apr 20, 2019, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post

Nice Find, This thing looks very Refined! Cant wait for it to start in a few months!

Old Posted Apr 20, 2019, 5:12 PM

I know it has been said before..I'm a fan of the design, and of Goettsch Partners/his work but this feels very recycled from 110 N Wacker. Couldn't we get a little variation, Jim?

Old Posted Apr 20, 2019, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsburghPA View Post
I know it has been said before..I'm a fan of the design, and of Goettsch Partners/his work but this feels very recycled from 110 N Wacker. Couldn't we get a little variation, Jim?
It's a girthier and multi-colored glass version of that tower basically, but it's much more visible in the skyline so I kind of like it even so. I think it'll be much more visually interesting in person than the renderings show, but we'll see.

Speaking of which, when should we expect shovels in the ground?

Old Posted Apr 20, 2019, 5:44 PM

I absolutely love the 3 tier design and was admittedly upset when 110 went to 2, but now i can appreciate both!

Old Posted Apr 20, 2019, 5:49 PM

Definitely feels too bloated and bottom heavy..another 150 ft stretched out would do wonders for this building

Old Posted Apr 20, 2019, 6:04 PM

Quote:
It's a girthier and multi-colored glass version of that tower basically, but it's much more visible in the skyline so I kind of like it even so. I think it'll be much more visually interesting in person than the renderings show, but we'll see.

Bombardier Probably will know!

Old Posted Apr 20, 2019, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Not before that horrible parking structure is removed. Can't find any info as to when it closes or when demolition starts.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2019, 1:32 AM
DENNAB

That looks nice, is the logo on the other side or was it nixed?

Old Posted Apr 21, 2019, 7:08 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicubs111 View Post
Definitely feels too bloated and bottom heavy..another 150 ft stretched out would do wonders for this building
Though I don't think it's bad, I think it would look better taller. This is how I wished this tower looked.

4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive