HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Mar 18, 2019, 11:07 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2019, 11:14 PM
Ex Houstonian

^
I love how that view intentionally blocks out the Trump Tower and doesn't include Vista.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 5:14 PM

^ it is likely that nothing was blocked intentionally and that vista just isn't there because the photo they used for the rendering was taken before it existed in the skyline.

The whole composition is pretty weird the more you look at it. I think the images on the left and right of the column splitting the middle are entirely different photos. The horizon lines are at different elevations.

I don't know what is going on with the buildings in the lower left quadrant, but it is stretched and filled in very weird ways. Like, what's up with the reddish brown building that I assume is the tower in from of the LaSalle St station? It changes textures randomly near the top. There is even a somewhat visible line across that part of the image where everything below it looks like is was just kind of rubber stamped in

Last edited by jc5680; Mar 19, 2019 at 5:25 PM.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 5:28 PM

^ yea, some manipulation for sure. Almost comical.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombardier View Post
Is that the window washing crane sticking out of the top of the cube? Wonder if it will be hidden in its permanent condition or if it will be visible like the one on Essex.
yes, for sure. i saw them testing/using it a couple days ago.

upon installation it was hidden. i hope it keeps the ability to shrink down and retract into the building. nema is too tall of a gem to have some mechanics sticking out the top

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozy View Post
window cleaning crane?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 11:37 PM

Forgot I had taken these a few days ago....

I'm gonna get some really nice shots of this tower soon, buckle in lads

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 11:26 PM

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 View Post
[IMG]
Excellent shots, Mr. Ford. I live not that far from this building, which means I seldom get these awesome views from a distance. I love how it looks up close, but I'm a huge fan of how they frame the southern end of Grant Park. These shots really capture that mass and energy. Kudos on the new gig too!

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 2:46 PM
BANNED

I think this has been mentioned before, but the north-facing vertical stripes on both this (2 are visible now, 2 more will appear once the skip is gone) and Essex compliment one another just perfectly.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2019, 8:06 PM

Crane coming down...

Old Posted Mar 23, 2019, 10:44 PM

Those photos make me dream of the day that they 1) bury the tracks and 2) narrow Columbus Ave back down to the narrow boulevard it should be, rather than basically being a divided highway running through an urban park. It should be at most two lanes in each direction, including turning lanes, with no parking. And closed to traffic most of the time like the Drives in Central Park. Then make Jackson and Balbo one way with two lanes.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Last edited by 10023; Mar 23, 2019 at 11:59 PM.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2019, 3:49 AM

They had the whole southern segment lit up tonight. I’m usually civil on this forum, but holy shit guys !!!

I’m amazed the city approved it as is, they might just be testing bulbs? I wouldn’t be surprised to see complaints from the nimbys. Nick, Harry, pretty please get out here one of these nights to capture the spectacle.

When the building is fully inhabited it will sparkle during the evening and slowly fade into the darkness overnight

Old Posted Mar 24, 2019, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozy View Post
They had the whole southern segment lit up tonight. I’m usually civil on this forum, but holy shit guys !!!

I’m amazed the city approved it as is, they might just be testing bulbs? I wouldn’t be surprised to see complaints from the nimbys. Nick, Harry, pretty please get out here one of these nights to capture the spectacle.

When the building is fully inhabited it will sparkle during the evening and slowly fade into the darkness overnight
Thanks for the heads up! Got a cool shots of this and loads of Vista from Aon's roof yesterday AM....

Old Posted Mar 24, 2019, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Those photos make me dream of the day that they 1) bury the tracks and 2) narrow Columbus Ave back down to the narrow boulevard it should be, rather than basically being a divided highway running through an urban park. It should be at most two lanes in each direction, including turning lanes, with no parking. And closed to traffic most of the time like the Drives in Central Park. Then make Jackson and Balbo one way with two lanes.
I assume you meant "cover the tracks" as they are already below street level.

Looking back, I really wish that Rahm and George Lucas had come up with a scheme to cover the tracks south of the Art Institute to put the Lucas Museum. That would have been a huge win for the city. The final design for LA came out fairly narrow anyway. Missed opportunity.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2019, 3:46 PM
Urbane observer

^Couldn't really have done that. The prohibition on buildings in the park between Randolph and 11th Place is pretty airtight.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2019, 5:23 PM
The City

A cheaper solution is to simply pedestrianize Columbus for about 6 months per year.

Replave it into something a bit more attractive and traffic-calming.

Problem solved.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Mar 24, 2019, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
A cheaper solution is to simply pedestrianize Columbus for about 6 months per year.

Replave it into something a bit more attractive and traffic-calming.

Problem solved.
Agreed.

Pictures from Friday:

Old Posted Mar 24, 2019, 7:34 PM

Nabbed this pic yesterday. Ol' Red is comin' down.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2019, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
^Couldn't really have done that. The prohibition on buildings in the park between Randolph and 11th Place is pretty airtight.
Yup. And I assume the public bathrooms/restaurant just south of Maggie Daley is dead at this point.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2019, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMWChicago View Post
Nabbed this pic yesterday. Ol' Red is comin' down.

So, is there going to be a cube on top or not? Couldn't follow the back-n-forth several pages back and with the crane coming down I thought it would be a good time for a definitive answer. Yes? No?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive