HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
I don't have any experience with other airports, but is this really different? I find it unlikely that there would be any international airport that would have only local chains.
Austin is close. From the current AUS restaurant list, I count about 25 local restaurants and only 3 chains: Mad Greens, Vino Volo, and Brueggers. (They don't even have a Starbucks!)

Changing subjects: does anyone know where the Delta SkyClub will be located at the new SLC?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2019, 3:00 AM
One Thing At A Time

Quote:
I don't have any experience with other airports, but is this really different? I find it unlikely that there would be any international airport that would have only local chains.
Most newly renovated airports have put a focus on local bars and restaurants. Makes sense when an airport is quite literally a gateway to a city.

About getting a spot in the airport being expensive and that is why you see chains, it isn't. Basically one company puts together a portfolio bid to the airport with all of the brands that they have been able to sign onto having a location in the airport. It doesn't cost the local companies a thing. They basically license their brand to a company that runs all of the food and beverage in the airport and obviously have control of how their brand is being represented/what they serve etc.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 7:20 AM

It’ a great and interessant project. The united States innovate so much his continent by beginning the airport. Hoping that it will be a success and improved the airport.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Aabram View Post
It’ a great and interessant project. The united States innovate so much his continent by beginning the airport. Hoping that it will be a success and improved the airport.
My feelings exactly.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Aabram View Post
Do you speak Norwegian?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 8:34 PM
Mile High Guy

Quote:
It is healthy if there is a good mix of local eateries along with the national/international chains. Denver has a number of local eateries/local chains along with the national chains...and it has been consistently high on various airport food/restaurant choice rankings.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 7:12 AM

I agree, and it looks like that what Salt Lake has done.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 2:53 PM

Why are there no eateries shown in the east half of concourse A? Is it just because that side won't be open in the initial phase so they haven't announced them yet? or will there really be no restaurants on that side of the concourse?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhitektor View Post

Why are there no eateries shown in the east half of concourse A? Is it just because that side won't be open in the initial phase so they haven't announced them yet? or will there really be no restaurants on that side of the concourse?
The east half of the concourse is where the current airport is right now. They will begin construction there once the first phase opens. I'm sure there will be more restaurants. The airport isn't going to pass up an opportunity for more revenue!

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 4:25 PM

I realize that this sounds like an odd complaint, but how is there not a McDonald's in these plans? I get that showcasing higher quality food is important but there are plenty of times when i'm running short on time in between flights and I just want something fast where I know exactly what i'm getting. Fast food is good for that.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 5:29 PM

I wonder if we will get a Centurion Lounge or some Priority Pass lounges. I am sure the Delta Sky Club will be bigger and better than the current lounge, but it would be nice to get some other lounge options.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 5:33 PM
Development Junkie

Last edited by tygr; Mar 22, 2019 at 3:18 AM.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCRes View Post
I realize that this sounds like an odd complaint, but how is there not a McDonald's in these plans? I get that showcasing higher quality food is important but there are plenty of times when i'm running short on time in between flights and I just want something fast where I know exactly what i'm getting. Fast food is good for that.
My guess is because the current terminal 2 food court won't be demoed when phase 1 of the airport opens....and the food court already has a McDonalds, so you'll have to deal with the old McDonalds for a bit and then when the second phase opens (and they begin demoing the old food court) you'll likely get your new McDonalds.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2019, 5:27 PM

Delta Air Lines official says Salt Lake City airport rebuild will give its hub a huge competitive edge in the West

(Leah Hogsten | Tribune file photo) The new Salt Lake City International Airport expansion project on Monday, Oct. 22, 2018. The first phase construction of the $3.6 billion project is due to open in late 2020.

Lee Davidson, Salt Lake Tribune - https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics...ines-official/

The ongoing $3.6 billion rebuild of Salt Lake City International Airport should give Delta Air Lines and its hub there a big competitive advantage in the West, a top airline official said Wednesday.

“We’re going to look back on it and go, ‘That was money well spent,’” Holden Shannon, Delta’s senior vice president of real estate, told a convention of the Airports Council International, meeting at the Grand America Hotel in Salt Lake City. He added that the new airport “is remarkable.”...

..."The most important project we have is Salt Lake City, right here,” he said. The project, Shannon added, will make what had been considered airport palaces “look like a cottage” — and should make Utah’s capital the hub that passengers prefer in the West.

He praised the new design with parallel terminals between two runways. He said it will help avoid bottlenecks seen at too many other airports with spiderweb designs, where planes that have landed often must wait for aircraft that are blocking narrow taxiways before advancing to gates. It should help keep operations on time.

The design also makes expansion easier by adding more parallel terminals as needed.

Salt Lake City’s new gates are designed to accommodate aircraft of many sizes to offer great flexibility to airlines and their operations.

While many airports create huge entry and check-in areas, Shannon said, Salt Lake City and other new Delta projects seek to put less there and put more space and better facilities where passengers spend most of their time — at and beyond security around gates.

Shannon said new Salt Lake City terminals will include more seats, all with access to power plug-ins, and more area for lines at check-in — instead of obstructing crowded hallways. Also, the airport will be designed to allow international passengers to more freely use biometrics — such as eye scans — to avoid the need to present passports in different areas.

He said Salt Lake City will have a new Delta Sky Club that “will be an amazing amenity. It will have almost 30,000 square feet and gorgeous views of the mountains.”

Concessions chosen for the airport offer the sorts of food and retail most passengers want, Shannon said, while some other airports tend to offer choices that are too exotic and expensive.

“What we’ll see in the Salt Lake City airport," he said, “is much more relevant and thoughtfully placed and branded high-quality concessions.”

Shannon added that the rebuilt airport will be “a vehicle for commerce and expansion here” that will benefit the state...

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 6:19 PM
Engineer

North Concourse Construction

I noticed a building permit application was submitted for phase 2 of the north concourse construction. I didn't see any news on this so I wondered if they were going to continue building the rest of the concourse (all the way to the red line), or just the rest of the blue portion (to the orange line), if anybody knows. Currently it is framed out to about where the yellow line is. I'd imagine they are doing to the orange line as many gates would be inaccessible if the built to the red line.

Here's a picture of what is currently constructed.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 2:49 PM

[QUOTE=airhero;8552267]I noticed a building permit application was submitted for phase 2 of the north concourse construction. I didn't see any news on this so I wondered if they were going to continue building the rest of the concourse (all the way to the red line), or just the rest of the blue portion (to the orange line), if anybody knows. Currently it is framed out to about where the yellow line is. I'd imagine they are doing to the orange line as many gates would be inaccessible if the built to the red line.

If i remember the plans right, they will decommission the 6-8 ish gates at the north end of existing concourse D, and then begin construction on the section between your Yellow and Orange Line. I don't think anyone expects active construction on the "future Phase" section of the new north concourse until after they are well under way on building the east side of the main terminal, and they demo the remainder of the old concourses.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 7:05 PM
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS

As a Denver resident who isn’t above some dumb trolling, is your new airport terminal also controlled by the Illuminati? Or just ours?

"Of course you're right." Cirrus

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 7:10 PM
One Thing At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventwenty View Post
As a Denver resident who isn’t above some dumb trolling, is your new airport terminal also controlled by the Illuminati? Or just ours?
Depends, are the mormons apart of the Illuminati or is that a separate branch of oppressive secret society?

Old Posted Apr 27, 2019, 12:01 AM
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS

The reptilian one. Obviously.

"Of course you're right." Cirrus

Old Posted Apr 29, 2019, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventwenty View Post
Haha, I have a coworker that 100% on board with all the Denver Airport conspiracy theories. It makes me laugh every time I fly through there.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/rickysans/t...-the-denver-ai

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West