HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
What are you, 16?

The difference between you and every cop is that no matter what you do, nuts with guns aren't going to show up at your workplace, wait for you to finish your shift and point a gun in your face just because you gave them a filet-o-fish instead of a Big Mac.
Cab drivers, convenience store clerks, bank employees, security guards bus drivers, They all deal with bullshit too and any day someone could walk in and assault them or kill them during an attempted robbery or some other type of altercation. Remember a bus driver got murdered asking someone to leave the bus at the end of his shift. Will you advocate for them as well? Anyone anywhere anytime could be a victim. Do you know how many loggers, fishermen and construction workers die every year in Canada on the job? I know a couple police officers, my cousin is RCMP, they all enjoy their jobs and they do not fear going to work.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 9:54 PM

I would be interested in seeing stats on workplace death comparisons. How many police die every year vs fire, construction, cabbies, etc. I'll bet police are not near the top of the list.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for policing. But they can cry and whine all they want. Get on with it. Maybe tell the union to chill out on the fear mongering and endless budget increases. Their union is doing a hell of a job I'll tell you wut.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 10:13 PM
BANNED

^ the last time a city cop was killed on duty was 1970, 49 years ago

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I would be interested in seeing stats on workplace death comparisons. How many police die every year vs fire, construction, cabbies, etc. I'll bet police are not near the top of the list.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for policing. But they can cry and whine all they want. Get on with it. Maybe tell the union to chill out on the fear mongering and endless budget increases. Their union is doing a hell of a job I'll tell you wut.
Here’s an older article from 2012 that outlines some of the dangerous jobs in Canada. Also the most dangerous job in Canada when it comes to being assaulted or murdered is cab driver.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/3-mos...nada-1.1166583

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 10:35 PM

Hi guys, you may want to dial back on the conspiracy theories. "Aggravated assault of a peace officer" is s. 270.02 of the Criminal Code:

Aggravated assault of peace officer
270.02 Everyone who, in committing an assault referred to in section 270, wounds, maims, disfigures or endangers the life of the complainant is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term of not more than 14 years.
2009, c. 22, s. 9.

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/...7.html#docCont

Pointing a gun at someone's head and pulling the trigger would normally qualify as endangering the victim's life.

If you are truly concerned about verifying that the accused exists, head over to the Law Courts building when the matter is up. By default, criminal proceedings are open to the public and you can watch from the gallery.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 2:23 PM

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 4:29 PM

Dave,

The Police union came out and said the guy pulled on gun on the officer, pointed it at his head, and pulled the trigger. Then the next day, the article says something different. So who are we to believe, when the union is all about fear.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
What are you, 16?

The difference between you and every cop is that no matter what you do, nuts with guns aren't going to show up at your workplace, wait for you to finish your shift and point a gun in your face just because you gave them a filet-o-fish instead of a Big Mac.
Hey man, I like the boys in blue, but we all assume some risk when factoring the realities of our job and we all factor that into our pay.

I can't stand when teachers complain about salaries or buying their own supplies when they are actually paid quite well and don't really complain much when it's summer time.

Cops have good pay, good pension, and usually heavy overtime.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post

Cops have good pay, good pension, and usually heavy overtime.
I have no problem offering respect for the people who take on inherently dangerous professions, but there must be something about the job, including the potential danger, that is attractive to the people who apply for that position. Do people want to be injured or killed? Of course not. But I doubt most people who take on the job seriously wish their work avoided all potential conflict, or they wouldn't have taken the job in the first place.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 2:26 PM

Quote:

Garbage collectors are more likely to die on the job than police officers, and we certainly don't pay them 6 figures.

Quote:
Dave,

The Police union came out and said the guy pulled on gun on the officer, pointed it at his head, and pulled the trigger. Then the next day, the article says something different. So who are we to believe, when the union is all about fear.
The union claimed to have known the guy pulled the trigger and the gun misfired, but the officer was in his car driving away already when he pulled the gun out. So there's no way anyone knows if he tried to fire it, meaning the union just made it up and flat out lied to the whole city. Which honestly isn't really that surprising, look at Alex Forrest. This is what union guys do. It makes the whole WPS look bad when that asshat Sabourin gets in front of a camera and starts telling lies, if I was a member I'd be really concerned that you've got a guy like this representing you and severely damaging your reputation with the public.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardTH View Post

The union claimed to have known the guy pulled the trigger and the gun misfired, but the officer was in his car driving away already when he pulled the gun out. So there's no way anyone knows if he tried to fire it, meaning the union just made it up and flat out lied to the whole city. Which honestly isn't really that surprising, look at Alex Forrest. This is what union guys do. It makes the whole WPS look bad when that asshat Sabourin gets in front of a camera and starts telling lies, if I was a member I'd be really concerned that you've got a guy like this representing you and severely damaging your reputation with the public.
IMO: The only job of every Union is to protect and grow the Union. Not the public, not the members, the Union. Everything else is just spin. Just like the only job of a private corporation is to protect and grow the interests of the corporation; not their workers, not the city they reside in, just the corporation. I believe folks need to realize this when they hear public statements made by reps from those types of organizations.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 9:39 PM

There is a place for unions, at least there was. Fighting for minimum wages and worker rights. Historically they were influential.

Now it seems most unions are battling for paid out accrued sick days, or pensionable double overtime, or bullshit like this. Milking the system.

Not to rag on the police, but I often stand in line at City Place while they banter about the goings and going of police life. You wouldn't even know they were police by the small time pettiness of the stuff that goes on. Guy signs up for shift work but demands he not work evenings or nights. WELL THAT'S SHIFT WORK YOU DIPSHIT! The union heavily involved.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 11:15 PM

Quote:
There is a place for unions, at least there was. Fighting for minimum wages and worker rights. Historically they were influential.

Now it seems most unions are battling for paid out accrued sick days, or pensionable double overtime, or bullshit like this. Milking the system.

Not to rag on the police, but I often stand in line at City Place while they banter about the goings and going of police life. You wouldn't even know they were police by the small time pettiness of the stuff that goes on. Guy signs up for shift work but demands he not work evenings or nights. WELL THAT'S SHIFT WORK YOU DIPSHIT! The union heavily involved.
Police are forced to see some pretty low and despicable behaviour as part of their job, so I have some sympathy for them. On the other hand, the caliber of recruits they get is a mixture of the people who genuinely want to "serve and protect" and the people who just really dig the idea of having a badge, a gun and the authority to push people around. Until robot cops get perfected I'm not sure what can be done about that.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 11:18 PM

If a cop wants to drive to work and park their car securely, they're more than welcome to pay for a parking spot in one of the numerous existing parkades downtown, like any other person. In fact, many of said parkades are connected to our Skywalk system, which is also connected to the PSB. If they're smart, they'd split a spot with someone who works the opposite shift.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 1:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
If a cop wants to drive to work and park their car securely, they're more than welcome to pay for a parking spot in one of the numerous existing parkades downtown, like any other person. In fact, many of said parkades are connected to our Skywalk system, which is also connected to the PSB. If they're smart, they'd split a spot with someone who works the opposite shift.
Except the skywalk system locks up around midnight -0100 its not a 24/7 route. There appears to be card access from the police tower to the library for access when the that part of the skywalk link is closed to the public.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 7:13 PM

I can feel for them but they're the police. If they can't protect themselves what do they expect the city to do? The police force needs a police force? They can't patrol their own perimeter or create a safe walk program for themselves?

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
IMO: The only job of every Union is to protect and grow the Union. Not the public, not the members, the Union. Everything else is just spin. Just like the only job of a private corporation is to protect and grow the interests of the corporation; not their workers, not the city they reside in, just the corporation. I believe folks need to realize this when they hear public statements made by reps from those types of organizations.
Someone gets it!
Quote:
There is a place for unions, at least there was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post
I can feel for them but they're the police. If they can't protect themselves what do they expect the city to do? The police force needs a police force? They can't patrol their own perimeter or create a safe walk program for themselves?
I expect their training should handle it.

I also expect that even embittered criminals know better than to do their worst work, harming an office, really close to, erm, tons of other officers.

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 6:42 PM

I wonder if the rebuild of Garry between Graham and St Mary's will finally see the bollards installed to protect the building.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 3:32 AM

Any updates on the bollards? There's a lot of small bunches of construction fencing spread out around the entire building (not just Garry) – maybe they're preparing to install?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 12:15 PM

The bollards are part of the paving contract. They probably have a huge lead time. The purchase cost is in the millions for the product they spec'd. A little bit of overkill.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan