HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 8, 2019, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkspec View Post
725 Corydon also has Coco Nut Grove opening next week.

Its a Caribbean restaurant and lounge.
Eating jerk chicken on a beach near Negril as I read this. Good add!

Old Posted Mar 9, 2019, 12:56 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacheguy View Post
Eating jerk chicken on a beach near Negril as I read this. Good add!
Awesome!

Old Posted Mar 9, 2019, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
I'm a little surprised we dont have more shawarma/donair/gyros places. If we had a fairly dense bar district I would open up a food truck and sell that stuff outside the bars starting at 10pm on weekends. Go till 4 or however late is necessary. Drunk people would love it.
Baraka Pita on Main Street is not too bad. They use the vertical spit for beef donairs as well.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2019, 5:05 PM

There's an El Salvadorian restaurant opening on Broadway at Edmonton today.

EDIT: It's in the old meatball shop right on Edmonton

Last edited by buzzg; Mar 10, 2019 at 4:30 PM.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2019, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Meltwich was a terrible concept, you eat grilled cheese sandwiches when you have picky kids or nothing else in the fridge. They might as well have sold store bought instant ramen noodles for ten bucks a pop.

Agreed.

The pho place appears to be drawing a crowd. I like the effort they put into their décor.

This place is great! Their spring rolls are really good.

I never tried the shawarma place but I'm a little surprised it didn't catch on. The shawarma place in Portage Place's food court seems to be doing well.

I ordered there once, but it took so long I had them cancel my order and went somewhere else. I never went back.

Speaking of Portage Place's food court, the former Pita Pit is turning into a long term vacancy, along with the former City Sub location. I wonder if anything will happen with those spots anytime soon? I'm surprised they've been vacant for so long.
Could be more once the food hall at TNS opens.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2019, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Bisita is closed and is now a place called Baohouse. Big turnover on Corydon, these new spots look pretty promising.
The operator of Bisita/Pimp My Rice had a fairly significant heart attack and needed to really slow down what they were doing. It is why they ended up selling the truck and later gave up the lease on the restaurant.

The Bao House couple is the younger generation of the family the long ran the two Wok House locations in Winnipeg. The Portage Ave one was sold a few years back and the butcher shop in Headingley was closed. They operated a food truck towards the end of last summer. I haven't had a chance to talk with them lately but if I had to guess they might be doing the food truck at lunch at the restaurant for dinner this coming year to help market the place some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by factis View Post
Could be more once the food hall at TNS opens.
Food courts/food halls seem to be somewhat immune to turn over/vacancies due to competition. If anything I would guess the TNS food hall poses the most risk to the City Place food court. The question will ultimately be if TNS is going with national chains or more with locals like the food hall at The Forks.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2019, 4:02 PM

Quote:

Whats it called?

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 1:34 AM

Quote:

I drove by there today and I didn't see anything. Are you sure it's not somewhere else?

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post
Whats it called?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post
I drove by there today and I didn't see anything. Are you sure it's not somewhere else?
Can’t remember the name, that’s definitely where it is. They haven’t changed the signs yet but they had a sandwich board outside advertising it.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 7:00 PM
Cass

Hermanos South Osborne

Hi, new forum member, first time poster. Noticed Hermanos South Osborne looks to be shut down, outside signage was taken down sometime near beginning of March (I drive by there every morning). I liked having that spot as a lunch option sometimes.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Can’t remember the name, that’s definitely where it is. They haven’t changed the signs yet but they had a sandwich board outside advertising it.
The name of the place is Bokados. I went by there for lunch today and it was not open. There is a sandwich board sign just inside the doorway. There are tables and chairs inside. They have a facebook page that does not have their hours of operation on it. It is clearly a Latin themed restaurant.

It still has the "Little Place" signs up on the exterior. This is the same location as Simply Delicious, Tastees, Little Maria's and a few other places. It is at 77 Edmonton Street.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_cowgirl View Post
Hi, new forum member, first time poster. Noticed Hermanos South Osborne looks to be shut down, outside signage was taken down sometime near beginning of March (I drive by there every morning). I liked having that spot as a lunch option sometimes.
Welcome!

That's too bad. Hopefully something else will move in before long. That's a nice space in a good neighbourhood.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2019, 3:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
I'm a little surprised we dont have more shawarma/donair/gyros places. If we had a fairly dense bar district I would open up a food truck and sell that stuff outside the bars starting at 10pm on weekends. Go till 4 or however late is necessary. Drunk people would love it.
Totally agree. Wish we had one in every mall. Baraka Bakery is really good...so is Les Saj on St. James. I even enjoy the shawarma plate from the Portage Place mall but it's a pain going there.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2019, 5:27 PM

This is unfortunate

Quote:
Restaurateur closes south Osborne Hermanos location
Ryan Thorpe
4:00 AM

South American steakhouse Hermanos has closed its south Osborne Street location. The 4,000-square-foot, 100-seat restaurant closed March 4, owner Noel Bernier said Friday.

“It was a bit of an experiment for us to open the second location,” he said. “Our downtown restaurant in the East Exchange District is very loved and popular. When this space opened up in 2017, we decided to see if the Hermanos brand could work at a second location.

“Overwhelmingly, what we’ve heard from our customers over the last year and a half is that they felt the experience at the Bannatyne restaurant was very unique and things just didn’t quite feel the same at the second location.”

Bernier opened the 723 Osborne St. location in July 2017.
https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bu...507239552.html

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Mar 17, 2019, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid-Poster View Post
The name of the place is Bokados. I went by there for lunch today and it was not open. There is a sandwich board sign just inside the doorway. There are tables and chairs inside. They have a facebook page that does not have their hours of operation on it. It is clearly a Latin themed restaurant.

You would think they would promote their place more. Like you said their facebook page doesn't have much info or pics.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2019, 4:28 PM
Cass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
Welcome!

That's too bad. Hopefully something else will move in before long. That's a nice space in a good neighbourhood.
I hope so too. It's a tough space with the open kitchen. Spend any amount of time in there when it's been busy and the kitchen exhaust can be overwhelming and your clothes smell of it after you leave. People don't want to pay top dollar and leave smelling like cooking fumes.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2019, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_cowgirl View Post
I hope so too. It's a tough space with the open kitchen. Spend any amount of time in there when it's been busy and the kitchen exhaust can be overwhelming and your clothes smell of it after you leave. People don't want to pay top dollar and leave smelling like cooking fumes.
I quite like the one in the Exchange. Such a beautiful old building.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 3:06 AM

The Red Ember is opening Wall Street Slice, 753 Wall Street.

“Happy Pi day everyone! We would like to introduce Wall Street Slice! We are opening a small dine in/take out pizza shop that will focus on using local, ethically raised products in Winnipeg’s West End at 753 Wall St. Owned and operated by the staff of Red Ember, we are excited to be serving NY-style pizza by the slice or whole 18” pie. We are hoping to open around the end of April. Follow us at Wall Street Slice to see how construction is progressing!”

Link to page:
https://www.facebook.com/Wall-Street...8898802076012/

Old Posted Mar 23, 2019, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
I'm puzzled by the lack of quality restaurants in the northeastern portion of the city - River East, Rossmere, East St. Paul, North Kildonan. There are plenty of individuals/families with decent incomes, and yet, if they want to go out for a nice meal, the options are very limited. Most likely, they will have to make a trek downtown, or the south end. Even the Kildonan Crossing area has limited options..really just a few chains.
There’s Jonesy’s Restaurant in East St. Paul and it’s always packed. Good food at a reasonable price and they’ve done some nice renovations over the years. Rae’s Bistro has had a nice turnaround from the original 925 Bistro too.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2019, 7:44 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Don't know if this is a *new* restaurant or somethings that been there for ages but with *new* signage.

There is a restaurant that has a sign above the window saying Burgers Fish (Shakes?).

It's on Notre Dame just west of Sherbrook St., where the 36 Sherbrook Express turns off.

I can't recall the name of it, but it looks interesting. Based on a Google search, it could be Notre Dame Burger.

Some Google Reviews.

They feature Greek food, Gyros, so I'm assuming the owners are Greek-ish. Some commenters on Google Reviews say the business was For Sale as of 2018. Google Maps (Oct. 2018 photo) has a Re/Max sign saying the business and building are For Sale. Comment from about 1 week ago says they were there recently. I guess it's best to call ahead to confirm if they're still open or not.

$3.25 for a milkshake. Not bad, considering BDI charges $7. Competitive with Sargent Sundae.
$3.99 for a "Coney Dog". Never tasted one, but for an Indoor restaurant on a busy thoroughfare (can look out the window and see all the traffic and activity), that's worth it, compared to a hot dog vendor on Broadway, who charges the same... with "window air conditioning".
$4.99 for a Cheeseburger with 100% Beef.

Maybe when it gets warmer I'll check it out.

Last edited by LilZebra; Mar 23, 2019 at 8:20 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan