HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Mar 9, 2019, 1:26 AM

Following explosive growth, HealthJoy announces $12.5M funding and plans to double headcount

https://www.builtinchicago.org/2019/...llion-series-b

Quote:
HealthJoy, a Chicago-based healthtech startup, just raised a $12.5 million Series B to tidy up your health benefits.

The funding will be used to double headcount. Headcount is currently at 121 employees, and the goal is to push that number to 250 this year.

“Right now our number one goal is to scale the company,” said CEO Justin Holland. “We are doubling our employee count over the next year to stay in front of demand. We are looking for passionate team members who are looking to use their skills to make a difference in people's lives.”

Holland said the company will grow across the board, including on its engineering, customer success, sales and operations teams. HealthJoy will also build out an entirely new development team in Chicago. Holland said the company doubled the size of its office in the beginning of the year to accommodate the planned growth.

Those new hires will join will help HealthJoy accelerate its already rapid growth. According to TechCrunch, the company grew by 610 percent last year and currently has around 200,000 users. The goal for this year is to grow by 250 percent. HealthJoy’s platform is designed to be used by companies of all sizes, from 100 employees to over 50,000.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2019, 1:53 AM

CME, datacenters, rival trading firms, suburban dimwitted politicians..who knew...
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...usinessweek-v2

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 3:00 AM
The City

A snippet from Bisnow:

Financial tech startup Tegus opened its new Chicago office and technology space last week inside 120 South LaSalle, which JLL leases on behalf of ownership Slate Office REIT. During the ribbon-cutting alongside Mayor Rahm Emanuel and World Business Chicago CEO Andrea Zopp, Tegus co-founder Thomas Elnick said the company plans to triple its headcount by the end of the year. Colliers’ Joe Stevens and Tony Karmin represented Tegus, and JLL’s Craig Coupe and Mason Taylor represented Slate.

Read more at: https://www.bisnow.com/chicago/news/...medium=Browser

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 6:44 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpIllInoIs View Post
CME, datacenters, rival trading firms, suburban dimwitted politicians..who knew...
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...usinessweek-v2
There's a movie coming out next week called "The Hummingbird Project," starring Jesse Eisenberg, and based on the super-straight fiber-optic cable company the story mentions.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
There's a movie coming out next week called "The Hummingbird Project," starring Jesse Eisenberg, and based on the super-straight fiber-optic cable company the story mentions.
This looks intriguing. . . my company had a low latency network between Chicago and New York which was the fastest route for like a month. . . then Spread came in essentially killed it. . . we sold off that asset to Zayo back in 2012 and Spread - then a +$300m company - sold for like $127m to Zayo 5 years later. . .

. . .

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 1:12 PM

I'm moving this discussion here where it better belongs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrdoSeclorum View Post
Markets work great for a lot of things. I love markets. But this oversimplification is absurd. Free markets don't mean I can throw my garbage in the street. And markets aren't efficient if they are only profitable because the owner is freeloading, extorting or taking advantage of unpriced externalities. If a community invests in public spaces and institutions over decades, the *most profitable* use of some land in that historic neighborhood may still be a drive through vape shop. It's profitable because it's an unearned increment made possible because value exists due to generations of public investments and the long-term enterprise of a community and institutions. Sure, simply extracting profit from previous investments may indeed be profitable, but that certainly doesn't mean it's good for a community.

If economics is the justification, it should implicitly address this extremely basic stuff first. But even more simply, if a person’s justification for doing something ugly is just that he has the “right” to do it, you shouldn't be his friend.
This is all over the place. The lowly vape shop isn't good enough, not enough of an investment for a historic neighborhood. Owners shouldn't be able to just coast along, buoyed by public investment around them.
But here at 800 Fulton Market we have the opposite. Instead of rehabbing an old run down warehouse, which can't support a large office use, instead of coasting along, the owner is tearing it down to build a large new building that is a good investment in the community. And the outcry from some is that the government should have stepped in to block the investment. Which may have had the effect of blocking any investment at all. Is the community better off with an abandoned historic building, or a new office tower and all the economic growth that comes with that?

Turning the city into a museum that can't grow would turn Chicago into SF, Portland, Seattle. A severe housing crisis, sky high cost of living, families pushed out, investment fleeing. That's not good for the community's long term health.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
But here at 800 Fulton Market we have the opposite. Instead of rehabbing an old run down warehouse, which can't support a large office use, instead of coasting along, the owner is tearing it down to build a large new building that is a good investment in the community. And the outcry from some is that the government should have stepped in to block the investment. Which may have had the effect of blocking any investment at all. Is the community better off with an abandoned historic building, or a new office tower and all the economic growth that comes with that?

Turning the city into a museum that can't grow would turn Chicago into SF, Portland, Seattle. A severe housing crisis, sky high cost of living, families pushed out, investment fleeing. That's not good for the community's long term health.
Of course--of course--making capricious rules or punitive regulations until investment becomes impossible is a bad idea. Likewise, letting a coal company dump do whatever it wants because the investment creates a large handful of jobs is a bad idea. Cleaning up a poorly regulated mine might potentially cost billions more than the income that was ever generated. A little coal profit isn't worth filling a trout stream full of mine tillings.

In the analogy above, the coal company was only profitable in the first place because it wasn't required to pay for the unpriced value it was destroying (perhaps a valley next to the mine). In this example, a person could have pointed to the proposed mine and said, "If we don't let the mine come in, is the community better off if the investment is not allowed to proceed? In this little parable, yes. They are losing more than they are gaining if the mine investment happens. Which might not be obvious if what you are losing is difficult to price! Or in cases where the benefits of an asset is distributed but competing benefits are concentrated.

In many historic preservation arguments, the stated premise from--let's non-judgmentally say free market fundamentalists--is that what should always be done is what's most profitable. On the opposing side, the often unstated premise of a preservationist is that there is lots of value present in a historic building--the benefits of having it are distributed and hard to price--and that letting it turn into a vape shop with a drive through is only profitable if you aren't properly tallying costs and benefits.

I don't always know which side of the fence I'm going to come down on. I spend a LOT of time arguing with my lefty friends who just want to foolishly and spitefully block anything that's going to generate profit for someone. But almost every time when someone says, "if it's more profitable to tear it down it should be torn down," that person isn't considering the unpriced values of the asset. In those cases, communities need to think of creative ways to share and maintain the prosperity created by unique legacy assets in a way that helps create the right incentives for the market.

Obviously, the city could invest-in or mothball important assets. This happens in Italy and Germany and I'm sure other places. It would be foolish to let a historic, 14th century cathedral fall over just because it didn't have a use today. It will be generating tourist dollars for centuries and generating income for the nearby businesses for just as long. So nearby businesses could team up, pay into a pot that could save the historic structure and ensure their prosperity for generations. There are well understood game theory issues--multipolar traps--that make these kinds of cabals unstable. So usually the best thing to do is to for government to step in. A special tax assessment in historic areas where the proceeds are used to make investments that markets often can't. If I'm a business owner, I pay a little more tax, but my assets are protected from depreciation because the valuable buildings on my block that contribute to the success and value of my business aren't being pillaged for a little short term profit. This is the exact same reason that we have an army.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 3:15 PM

^^^ That's fine. But those "valuable historic buildings" only contribute if people find them valuable and economic to use. If they all sit vacant because people went elsewhere, that doesn't help your business. Now in a large vibrant economy there are many diverse uses, so ideally every building gets a loving owner and a productive use. But that doesn't always happen. Some uses require large office buildings that didn't exist prior to 1946.

Yes, some historic treasures that aren't economic can be preserved and held for later. I'm very glad the Uptown Theatre is finally being rehabbed, that is a very unique building. But let's be honest, no one is going to fly to Chicago from Italy to look at a run down 4 story brick warehouse.

I also disagree that we can equate tearing down a building on one person's private land with polluting the land of others or dumping garbage on the street. No more than we should block a development for being tall and casting a shadow, or bringing in crowds of people. If I create a very successful business next to yours, am I polluting you with my customers? Cities have zoning, and within that zoning, private owners set private uses.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
If you support lot by lot development, that really doesn't jive with a proposed building that gobbles up an entire city block, which currently houses fine grained buildings suited for reuse
That block is 300' x 200', 60,000 sq ft. The proposal is 400,000 sq ft. For a full block, that's 7 stories minimum. 14 for half a block, 28 for 1/4. But 28 stories is out of character with the historic midrise neighborhood, right? It may not be an economical building or fit the client's needs. So where does that 400,000 sq ft go?

If the answer is "not here", that may not be in Chicago at all.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
I also disagree that we can equate tearing down a building on one person's private land with polluting the land of others or dumping garbage on the street. No more than we should block a development for being tall and casting a shadow, or bringing in crowds of people. If I create a very successful business next to yours, am I polluting you with my customers? Cities have zoning, and within that zoning, private owners set private uses.
There's a lot of middle ground here. Barring contraindications, people should be able to build what they want, I agree. It's illegal to build Georgetown, Greeenich Village or Lincoln park almost anywhere in America. If I want to buy a lot and build a 20 unit apartment building with no parking, I should be able to do so. Regulations requiring parking and needlessly wide streets have done immeasurable harm to our cities and it makes sense that other regulations could too.

My key message though--one that is self evident--is that value is created in ways that is hard to price by the presence of historic building stock. Sometimes the right move is going to be to let the market simply do what it will. It will probably work out in many cases. But pointing to profit as the only justification--without accounting for that unpriced value--is not a convincing position by itself. There are going to be situations where an enterprise can make a profit in a way that still has a net negative economic value.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 5:42 PM

Eek:

Griffin Mulled Moving Citadel HQ Out of Chicago

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/fina...hq-out-chicago

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 6:27 PM
The City

^ Saw that, I'm not all that alarmed. Griffin could've moved to NYC years ago if he wanted to, and he's so rich and mobile that Citadel's HQ is pretty much symbolic at this point.

Truth is, I think the point of Griffin making those statements is to send a message. Obviously he's trying to tell NYC leadership (and perhaps Chicago's as well) that they need to "do something" about this growing "anti-business" populism that's taking over major cities.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Saw that, I'm not all that alarmed. Griffin could've moved to NYC years ago if he wanted to, and he's so rich and mobile that Citadel's HQ is pretty much symbolic at this point.

Truth is, I think the point of Griffin making those statements is to send a message. Obviously he's trying to tell NYC leadership (and perhaps Chicago's as well) that they need to "do something" about this growing "anti-business" populism that's taking over major cities.
I wondered that myself when I read it. . . with regards to the Chicago mayoral regime change. . .

. . .

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 10:18 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom In Chicago View Post
I wondered that myself when I read it. . . with regards to the Chicago mayoral regime change.
. . .
I think both are probably true. I also don't think Citadel moving their headquarters to New York (or London or wherever) would immediately be devastating for Chicago, and depending on whether it was a complete move or a move like Boeing "leaving" Seattle, it might never be very bad for Chicago. Citadel already has offices in New York and other cities, so already Chicago doesn't capture all of Citadel's growth and if "moving" just meant calling somewhere else headquarters and putting an increased focus on that office instead of Chicago, it would probably just mean a slowdown in Citadel-based growth here. In the long term it would have other, less tangible negatives, but there'd be time for other businesses to pick up the slack.

That said, I'm glad he's staying for now. Having a global financial powerhouse based here has innumerable benefits for the City, even if they're not always obvious. I don't think he's as beneficial, and definitely not as critical, as the CME Group, but he's still far more important than even places like Groupon.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Mar 18, 2019, 6:50 PM
The City

Just in: Argonne to get the world's fastest supercomputer:

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/john...-supercomputer

Old Posted Mar 18, 2019, 8:59 PM
BANNED

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...318-story.html

Chicago's housing market is hottest of 10 largest U.S metro areas, report says

March 18, 2019, 1:40 PM

Recent declines in U.S. housing market indicators are hinting at an economic slowdown. However, four major cities are bright spots in a somewhat gloomy forecast.

The Washington, Dallas, New York and Chicago metro areas are experiencing increases in both new home construction and maintenance spending, according to a report by property data provider BuildFax.

"It's yet to be seen whether housing activity in these cities will eventually slow as it has on a national level or if these will be key metros to watch as the U.S. potentially heads toward an economic slowdown," wrote BuildFax CEO Holly Tachovsky in the report published Monday.

Chicago saw the most housing activity among the 10 largest metro areas with a 19.5 percent increase in maintenance spending and 60.2 percent climb in new construction.

While Bloomberg doesn't mention Chicago in the title it does have nice graphics showing Chicago leading....

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...arket-cooldown

Washington and Dallas Metros Defy the Cooldown in the U.S. Housing Market

By
Shelly Hagan

‎March‎ ‎18‎, ‎2019‎ ‎7‎:‎01‎ ‎AM

Old Posted Mar 18, 2019, 9:59 PM
The City

^ That's weird. By 'new home construction' I wonder what exactly they are measuring. SFHs? Multiunit residential?

Because I have a hard time imagining that Chicago is leading the nation in growth of SFH construction given how lukewarm the suburban SFH market is right now

Old Posted Mar 18, 2019, 10:03 PM
The City

More about Argonne's upcoming new supercomputer

America’s first exascale supercomputer to be built by 2021

Quote:
More details about Aurora announced
By B David Zarley Mar 18, 2019, 3:19pm EDT

Details of America’s next-generation supercomputer were revealed at a ceremony attended by Secretary of Energy Rick Perry and Senator Dick Durbin at Argonne National Laboratory today. The Department of Energy’s new supercomputer will be built by Intel at Argonne, and it will be the first of its kind in the United States.

“We will use exascale computing and AI to accelerate discovery, spur ingenuity, drive innovation, and above all, we will impact all of those areas in ways that just a few years ago we couldn’t have realized that we were going to have the ability to do,” Perry said.

The supercomputer, dubbed Aurora — which Perry joked was named after his three-legged black lab Aurora Pancake — is scheduled to be fully operational by the end of 2021, as the DOE attempts to keep pace with China in a supercomputing arms race. A February 2018 story in Science reported that the top two Chinese computers were more powerful than all of the DOE’s 21 current supercomputers combined. Summit, at Oak Ridge National Laboratory in Tennessee, reclaimed the title of most powerful supercomputer from the Chinese when it went live last summer; China, however, is expected to reveal their first exascale computer in 2020, once again jumping ahead of the United States. The hope is that Aurora — with 50 times the computational and analytic power of Summit — will reclaim the title when it comes online.

THE DOE ATTEMPTS TO KEEP PACE WITH CHINA IN A SUPERCOMPUTING ARMS RACE
“We don’t know what everybody else is doing, so we can only really talk to the plans in the United States,” Rick Stevens, associate laboratory director for computing, environment, and life sciences at Argonne, told reporters on an informational conference call on Friday ahead of the announcement. “We know other countries are working on the path to exascale, but we don’t know precisely when they will deploy their systems.”

Aurora was announced as a standard supercomputer in 2015, but got scaled up to exascale in 2017. Exascale supercomputers can operate at quintillion calculations per second, according to the DOE’s Exascale Computing Project. “When you talk about a billion billion [calculations] per second, for us mere mortals it kind of dawns on you where we are, what we’re doing, what we are on the cusp of being able to accomplish,” Perry said. A joint effort with the National Nuclear Security Administration, the project’s intent is to accelerate American supercomputing power to exascale by 2021, by building computers like Aurora.

“So this system will be an excellent platform for both traditional high-speed computing applications” as well as data analytics, Stevens said. Aurora will be particularly optimized to analyze the streaming data produced by the DOE’s array of instruments, including telescopes, particle accelerators, and various detectors, Stevens explained.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/18/1...oratory-energy

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 3:38 PM
Plenary pleasures.

^^Love seeing that - I wish Chicago(land) could get a new NASA lab or something of the like. Having such a trifecta of labs in the vicinity would be so cool.

Meanwhile, further west at Fermilab:

Fermilab, partners break ground on particle accelerator to study ghostly particles, new forces

March 18, 2019, Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory

(Image credit: Fermilab)

"Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory officially broke ground March 15 on a major new particle accelerator project that will power cutting-edge physics experiments for many decades to come.

The new 700-foot-long linear accelerator, part of the laboratory's Proton Improvement Plan II (PIP-II), will be the first accelerator project built in the United States with significant contributions from international partners. When complete, the new machine will become the heart of the laboratory's accelerator complex, vastly improving what is already the world's most powerful particle beam for neutrino experiments and providing for the long-term future of the diverse research program at Fermilab, which is affiliated with the University of Chicago..."

https://phys.org/news/2019-03-fermil...ostly.html#jCp

With so much attention at CERN, glad that Fermilab will still be doing cutting-edge research for years to come. Ironically, I think the DOE has approved funding for more projects at both Argonne and Fermilab under the current administration than under Obama..

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 3:41 PM
The City

^ Nice!

Also, does that mean that The Flash will be born in Chicago?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest