HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 2:50 PM

Here is Mawson's concept for the Civic Centre where the RSM museum sit now.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
It was between Angus and Rae. It was where the apartment high rise is now. The 1912 Henderson Directory says 2720 16th Ave (College).
Yeah that's probably not it, the city states it as built in '29. It does have some similar features though. The archival photos I was looking at were that of Keith Ewart who had a note that it may be the GTP depot but he wasn't sure himself.

On this topic I did come across some interesting info related to the Grand Trunk/Chateau Qu'appelle:

this home
https://goo.gl/maps/VsuQZJzbSzN2

and this home
https://goo.gl/maps/3QTDgZed9Bw

were both constructed for James Kirkpatrick, superintendent of the GTP depot on College Ave with materials intended for the hotel.

and these rowhouses
https://goo.gl/maps/oBCA2XGyxUQ2

were built as housing for the construction workers of the hotel.

Last edited by W.W. La Chance; Mar 14, 2019 at 7:13 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

Old Posted Apr 1, 2019, 10:42 PM

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 10:04 AM
BANNED

The history of buildings has always been attractive to me and I read a lot about the buildings of different cities and architectural creations. I study in College and spend a lot of time reading historical facts. But unfortunately I do not know how to formulate my thoughts with talent. I have some experience on historical research paper and I think to ask for help in the service Copycrafter.net to write a full research paper on "Ancient and modern buildings".

Old Posted Apr 9, 2019, 3:48 AM

Currently reading "Regina: The Queen City" and found this neat story about the naming of Rae, Retallack, Cameron, and Robinson. I'm sure many of you know this story, but I had never heard it and found it quick interesting.

"In October, Scarth had invited a number of prominent people to visit the West in his private car. Included was the famous Arctic explorer, Dr. John Rae, who had already travelled through the Regina area. With a lavish hand, Scarth bestowed local immortality on four of his guests by giving to streets the names of Rae, Retallack, Robinson, and Cameron. Luckily for the future residents of the next street, another friend-Sir Ronald Blennerhassett-did not make the trip!"

Old Posted Apr 9, 2019, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBoy View Post
Currently reading "Regina: The Queen City" and found this neat story about the naming of Rae, Retallack, Cameron, and Robinson. I'm sure many of you know this story, but I had never heard it and found it quick interesting.

"In October, Scarth had invited a number of prominent people to visit the West in his private car. Included was the famous Arctic explorer, Dr. John Rae, who had already travelled through the Regina area. With a lavish hand, Scarth bestowed local immortality on four of his guests by giving to streets the names of Rae, Retallack, Robinson, and Cameron. Luckily for the future residents of the next street, another friend-Sir Ronald Blennerhassett-did not make the trip!"
There's a post in the Historical Regina Facebook group that explains much of this and includes pictures of most of the namesakes of the original streets. You have to ask to join to view these. According to the Post, all of the original street names were either friends and business partners of Scarth or were Royals or vice-regal.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/728161...51869291652742

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 11:16 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBoy View Post

Great info! Thanks

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGirl View Post
The Cook residence is one of the topics up for discussion at tonight's council meeting.
So, what is going on with this property? Any updates?

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 7:10 PM

Does anyone know if a pool was ever proposed or maybe in the original designs for the Hotel Saskatchewan? I’ve always found it odd that it doesn’t have one. And they could make an addition to the back of the hotel easily.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
Does anyone know if a pool was ever proposed or maybe in the original designs for the Hotel Saskatchewan? I’ve always found it odd that it doesn’t have one. And they could make an addition to the back of the hotel easily.
In 1927 it would have been extremely rare to have a pool. I seem to recall that there was a plan as part of the huge 1990's makeover to build a parking garage with pool on the back.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
In 1927 it would have been extremely rare to have a pool. I seem to recall that there was a plan as part of the huge 1990's makeover to build a parking garage with pool on the back.
Wish they would have!

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 11:18 PM

http://regina.ctvnews.ca/mobile/albe...erty-1.4618432

Cook residence narrowly receives heritage status. Thoughts?

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 12:57 AM

Good move. Lien wanted no part of the house; he wanted condos on that corner which wouldn't fit that section of Albert.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 1:04 AM

It's a bad thing for the city where heritage status can be foisted upon unworthy buildings. It will lead to nothing good. People need to get away from the idea that something will "fit", it's ludicrous to think that a neighbourhood is now a museum.

That said, Lien is a cocky moron who deserves what he gets. Maybe he can sell it to the 87 year old multi-millionaire who offered to buy it from him just cuz'.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 5:04 PM

Bar name in Regina

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
Going way back... there was a bar on Broad - Regina's first (maybe only?) gay bar with the entrance off the back alley appropriately called "The Rear Entry". I think it later moved the entrance to the street and became the Candy Cane Disco (see I'm going way back). I think it might have been all ages before the term was common, but I never went there - I despised Disco! Schnitzel Haus ruled!
Old topic (sorry) I am trying to remember the bar that was just north of the Vagabond across the parking lot. I remember the Den across from the Vag. Thanks!

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montroze View Post
Old topic (sorry) I am trying to remember the bar that was just north of the Vagabond across the parking lot. I remember the Den across from the Vag. Thanks!
Pig and Whistle?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2021, 9:35 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

came across a discusion on manitoba historical society
aparently the old cibc bank thats now a facde in the corwall center origonaly stood on main st in wpg befor it was disassembled and rebuilt in regina to make way for the current cibc building sitting there now known as milleium center back around 1912

Old Posted Oct 31, 2021, 12:31 AM

...and the bank looked exactly like that when it was reassembled in Regina. However, when they dismantled it to construct the Cornwall Centre, the eliminated the main floor, part of the top, as well as the banisters between the columns. In all honesty, I feel that the developers did a shitty job, at least with the part that sits on the main floor. The bases for the columns are ugly and discoloured and there is no historic reason to leave that part exposed. They could have built a planter around the column bases, or built a reflecting pond around them. Instead, they built a little sunken pond with a little fountain about 20 feet away, which was later removed because it was a hazard - shoppers too busy chasing bargains could have walked right into the water.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 6:25 PM
Regina rhymes with fun!

Burns Hanley Building

There was an article on cbc.ca regarding a demolition request for the Burns Hanley Building, 1863 Cornwall Street. This building will likely mysteriously burn down before any decision is made on as to whether this neglected building is allowed to be demolished, thus freeing all involved of having to make an unpopular decision.

"Oh look, it burned down. Onward progress!"

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...riel-1.6243236

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babo View Post
There was an article on cbc.ca regarding a demolition request for the Burns Hanley Building, 1863 Cornwall Street. This building will likely mysteriously burn down before any decision is made on as to whether this neglected building is allowed to be demolished, thus freeing all involved of having to make an unpopular decision.

"Oh look, it burned down. Onward progress!"

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...riel-1.6243236
They need to drop the Louis Riel connection thing although I think that part is just being driven by the useless media. The building that had a connection to him is long gone and this building now sits on that site. If that building needs to stay it needs to stay on it's own merits that have nothing to do with Riel.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan