HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tascalisa View Post
More cranes!
And in that new rendering, as big as it looks, will be noticeable from quite a distance too..

https://i.al.com/resizer/8eDLiKhvV7f...ZNLU3FUHBA.jpg

Last edited by mcalumni01; Jan 9, 2019 at 12:56 AM.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 4:18 PM
Burming Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcalumni01 View Post
The Children's Hospital Parking Deck is going to be MASSIVE. If it is still going to be 12 stories, it's huge now at the moment at what I would guess is 4 floors...
pretty sure i counted close to 12 already... are you sure you weren't looking at the office building side? they're connected.

i actually had the opposite reaction about how small 12 stories looked.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
pretty sure i counted close to 12 already... are you sure you weren't looking at the office building side? they're connected.

i actually had the opposite reaction about how small 12 stories looked.
Perhaps, i was on 4th ave. one night and just caught it out the side passing by. Didn't really look hard at it...just glanced

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Perhaps, i was on 4th ave. one night and just caught it out the side passing by. Didn't really look hard at it...just glanced
The office building will be 6 floors and the parking deck will be 12 when all is finished.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 12:31 AM

Quote:
More cranes!
Demolition team is on site.
Also, there is a lot of dirt being moved from the other dorm site just down 10th Avenue S.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 3:09 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Additional great news!

ViaAir has designated Birmingham-Shuttlesworth as a focus city for their airline.

Earlier today, it was annouced that ViaAir will will begin non-stop flights as such: Birmingham - Austin, Birmingham-Mobile, Birmingham-Pittsburgh, and Birmingham-Raleigh/Durham. These are some excellent nonstop flights, escpecially since Birmingham has been trying very hard to grow its tech industry. These direct flights will undoubtibly allow better collaboration between tech industries, as well as provide easier access to funding for tech firms wanting to grow in Birmingham.

BHM has been designated as a focus city for ViaAir, but after playing around on their website, it is unclear if passengers will be able to change flights at BHM. Southwest allows passengers to use BHM as a transfer point (in a pretty limited capacity), but I am curious if ViaAir will treat BHM as a true focus city and allow passengers from Austin, Pittsburgh, Mobile, and Raleigh/Durham to transfer flights in Birmingham.

We'll see! It would be wonderful if ViaAir had plans to use Birmingham as a connection point. As small as ViaAir is, expanded service, and BHM as a transfer point, would be phenomenal!

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 3:34 AM
Cat Enthusiast

BTW, the highrise that they plan to build on top of 'The Break' will be able to house 522 people... as it is planned to be student housed for UAB.

IMO, the fact that developers continue with new multifamily constrction is an incredible sign that 1) there is demand for housing in 2 new residential towers on the Southside, and 2) UAB is continuing to build its student body.

Honestly, I believe that UAB's current enrollment/research growth is the most important factor regarding developers' wishes to build new and tall.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 7:05 PM
Burming Hammer

Quote:
yeah, you were looking on the office building side. i drove by last night and both sections look pretty close to being topped out.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 1:26 AM
Cat Enthusiast

I was, and am still obsessed with the progress of Vesta. Now, I'm even more excited to watch the progress of the tower being built at The Break. (BTW, if anyone knows the name of this project, please let us know).

This building, even at just 17 floors is going to be pretty prominent.

These residential developments are definitely taking advantage of land value and location. I'm freaking out with interest as to how all of these new downtown residents will change areas north and south of the tracks.

I visit the downtown Publix frequently on my way home (even though I live in Huffman, it's still much more convenient since I work downtown). I can't help but wonder why a second grocery store wouldn't open its doors within the square created by the interstates, expressway, and Red Mountain. I know that Western is closing its Highlands store (though I can't imagine why Publix didn't grab it up along with the other two Westerns) but I'd gamble that by Oct/Nov of this year.... that one Publix won't be able to handle the demand.

There are at least two residential/retail developments being built in Parkside, UAB is continuing to expand on-campus living, and living options on The Southside are climbing and climbing. At first, the Midtown Publix seemed to be exactly what the area needed. But, I swear, day by day, it feels like the store becomes more and more congested! I think it would be a great, and profitable, idea to by the Highlands Western store. I also think that folks downtown would benefit from a THIRD grocer, maybe even north of the tracks. Hotels are continuing to pop up north of the tracks, I'm sure a modest grocery store (not a Family Dollar or Dollar General) would be reasonable.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 2:10 AM

Daniel Realty bought the property where the Highland Avenue Western is located, but they have not revealed their plans. Daniel Realty also purchased a half block of land from U.A.B. down at the corner of 14th street and 3rd avenue s. directly across the street from Region's Field with plans for a mixed-used project.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 4:51 PM

Quote:
I was, and am still obsessed with the progress of Vesta. Now, I'm even more excited to watch the progress of the tower being built at The Break. (BTW, if anyone knows the name of this project, please let us know).

This building, even at just 17 floors is going to be pretty prominent.

These residential developments are definitely taking advantage of land value and location. I'm freaking out with interest as to how all of these new downtown residents will change areas north and south of the tracks.

I visit the downtown Publix frequently on my way home (even though I live in Huffman, it's still much more convenient since I work downtown). I can't help but wonder why a second grocery store wouldn't open its doors within the square created by the interstates, expressway, and Red Mountain. I know that Western is closing its Highlands store (though I can't imagine why Publix didn't grab it up along with the other two Westerns) but I'd gamble that by Oct/Nov of this year.... that one Publix won't be able to handle the demand.

There are at least two residential/retail developments being built in Parkside, UAB is continuing to expand on-campus living, and living options on The Southside are climbing and climbing. At first, the Midtown Publix seemed to be exactly what the area needed. But, I swear, day by day, it feels like the store becomes more and more congested! I think it would be a great, and profitable, idea to by the Highlands Western store. I also think that folks downtown would benefit from a THIRD grocer, maybe even north of the tracks. Hotels are continuing to pop up north of the tracks, I'm sure a modest grocery store (not a Family Dollar or Dollar General) would be reasonable.
With 2 hotels on 1st ave. n., maybe a third with the brown-marx building, 1 possible 2 in uptown coming as well. Then the american life building, at&t building, and new lofts and condos on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd ave n. that's coming. Organic Harvest is coming to 2nd ave. to provide a second grocery store. Midtown 3 phase is coming along with apartments in the old pizza hut building. As mentioned, 3 residential development in parkside along with the "you are beautiful" building development. The 28 townhomes coming to rotary trail. Denham project too. So yeah, the entire area could use with publix and organic harvest, another full scale grocery store. A grocery store is proposed in the carraway development coming.

Walmart will put a neighborhood market somewhere in parkside or close by, even it's a smaller size. Or target might put a urban concept store which basically is just their grocery only version stores.

https://corporate.target.com/article...-format-stores

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 9:15 PM
Burming Hammer

And... another one.

Parkside and 5 Points are the residential hotspots of late. This is right behind Baker's Row (towards I-65)... not far from the Denham Building.

Large apartment development in works for Parkside

A 268-unit apartment development is tapped for a prime site near Railroad Park and Regions Field.

Birmingham's Design Review Committee this week gave conceptual approval for a planned multifamily development at 1204 First Ave. S. Novare Group, a commercial real estate firm based in Atlanta, will develop the project with architect Niles Bolton Associates providing design. The developers will have to come back for materials and signage approvals at a later date.

DRC documents show the development would consist of two buildings as well as a parking garage on site with approximately 344 spaces. The two buildings would each be five stories tall and contain studio, 1- and 2-bedroom apartments. The average unit size is 777 square feet.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 12:03 AM

Quote:
And in that new rendering, as big as it looks, will be noticeable from quite a distance too..

https://i.al.com/resizer/8eDLiKhvV7f...ZNLU3FUHBA.jpg
Just past this site, they started on the pedestrian construction tunnel. I was wondering what type of crane will they use, the site seems too small for a tower crane.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 3:54 PM
Burming Hammer

From the Orchestra Partners FB page:

Mercantile on Morris

"When the condos at Founders Station sold out in mere weeks, we came to appreciate just how desperately people wanted to live downtown. With that in mind, we sped up Phase II of that project and recently announced 6 more units above the future James Beard Award Winning restaurant, The Essential, and directly on Morris Ave. We've had a lot of emails and calls about those, so act fast bc they'll be move-in ready in May 2019.

Meanwhile, we've been designing our latest mixed use project, which is a historic redevelopment of three old merchant warehouses built in 1905. You'll remember these buildings as the home of the old "Matthews Bar & Grill" (yes, we played pool there, too). They are about to become Mercantile on Morris.

Mercantile is going to be awesome. Similar to Founders Station, we'll have a walkable plaza built among the bones of the old structure connecting 1st Ave N to Morris Ave. Along this plaza will be various retail, restaurants, and bars, and above all the action will be 40+ residential units with a Morris Ave address. There isn't a single unit over $240k.

Tired of Ubering downtown? Move here! Mercantile is a 5min walk from Pilcrow Cocktail Cellar, Sprout & Pour Juicery + Cafe, Square One Goods Co., Urban Standard, The Collins Bar, The Atomic, John's City Diner, Bamboo on 2nd, El Barrio Restaurante, Paramount Bham, Carrigan's Public House. We're only a 10min walk from Railroad Park, Regions Field, The Pizitz Food Hall, the Financial District, and the Publix downtown. Ditch your car, you won't need it.

Morris Avenue will be Birmingham's own flavor of Royal Street, Beale Street, King Street, etc. in a few years, might as well get a sweet deal on it now.

Mercantile will be move-in ready in the Fall 2019, but pre-sales are going on now."

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 9:47 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Downtown is continuing to solidify itself as an excellent market for developers and investors. Considering large projects like Vesta, “the tower at The Break”, Childrens’ new parking deck, along with the second wave of development in Parkaide, and finally the BJCC redevelopment it seems to me that the increase in downtown property value is ever rising.

Just within the last week or so, hundreds of new multi family housing developments have been announced. Plus, vacant buildings continue to be rehabilitated.

I don’t know what all of this means for the entire metro area, though I’ve always believed a strong region is based on a strong core. The next few years ought to be very telling about the city’s future... the BRT-lite line will have been completed, the downtown bridges will have been replaced, the World Games will have occurred, and the BJCC will have completed a massive overhaul / expansion.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 3:19 PM
The Salty Ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
From the Orchestra Partners FB page:

"When the condos at Founders Station sold out in mere weeks, we came to appreciate just how desperately people wanted to live downtown. With that in mind, we sped up Phase II of that project...
That's awesome.

These guys seem to have a great vision for 5pts and the city in general.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 2:38 AM

https://www.al.com/news/2019/01/birm...s-updates.html

Color and logo revealed

Now if we could get a LRT line after this in about 5 years, that would be incredible. Yeah I know, never happening...

Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 2:41 AM

https://abc3340.com/news/local/birmi...wo-way-streets

21st and 22nd street north between 8th ave. north and 11th ave. north are being converted to 2 lanes streets.

Basically between jefferson county jail and legacy arena, not the entire stretch of downtown.

Street restriping with new traffic lights will be starting in the next few weeks

Old Posted Jan 27, 2019, 1:55 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
https://www.al.com/news/2019/01/birm...s-updates.html

Color and logo revealed

Now if we could get a LRT line after this in about 5 years, that would be incredible. Yeah I know, never happening...
I like the branding... it looks fresh and modern; hopefully, it will appeal to younger and older residents alike. I look forward to using it to get across town. While it will not be an efficient commute option for me, I do believe that I could possibly make use of it as I need make my way to older eastern and western parts of the city. Sometimes, I have to check out one of our pool vehicles just to make a trip to a location where all I need is to glance at, or take one simple note of, something... that’s all I need. I hope I will be able to make use of this new line for both practical, and business, uses.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 12:31 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Demolition is well underway at The Break. Can’t wait to see some new cranes rise!!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast