HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 5, 2007, 5:24 AM
A long time gone

Lightbulb Will ever Winnipeg be like this?

Check it out:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=406390

This leaves in dust Toronto too... I think there is some problem with canadian cities, and this problem is called SPRAWL

On the other hand, canadian cities are perfect for all who like quietness and big spaces, and wilderness very close. So i think Canadian municipalities will never ever be close to european cities for urbanism just because they're so less dense; they should try to highlight what they have of unique, see Winnipeg's Fort Whyte and Oak Hammock Marsh and Living Prairie Museum.

p.s.: i know this is a forum about skyscrapers, still...

-------------
"The spider spins his web in the Palace of the Caesars,
An owl hoots in the towers of Afrasiyab."

Old Posted Apr 5, 2007, 5:31 AM

You have to consider that the majority of European cities were built up at a time when cars were non existant and people had to walk everywhere, hence the narrow, confusing roads and the need for density.

European cities have also had thousands of years to evolve and progress, most Canadian cities (especially in the west) didn't even exist 100 years ago.

I mean, some people live longer than 100 years. It would be possible for some people to have seen western Canadian cities develop from a collection of tents to a major city with skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 5, 2007, 5:40 AM
A long time gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaGuy View Post
You have to consider that the majority of European cities were built up at a time when cars were non existant and people had to walk everywhere, hence the narrow, confusing roads and the need for density.

European cities have also had thousands of years to evolve and progress, most Canadian cities (especially in the west) didn't even exist 100 years ago.

I mean, some people live longer than 100 years. It would be possible for some people to have seen western Canadian cities develop from a collection of tents to a major city with skyscrapers
you're right, i wasn't trying to diminish american cities, i just wanted to point out that only few can compete with european/asian/african cities for urbanism (i.e. New York), but what they have more is nature... see Fort Whyte in Winnipeg, or Oak Hammock Marsh, that's something that you'll never find in such crowded and urbanized places. So i think Winnipeg should try to attract tourists with big parks, something innovative about nature experiences more then urbanistic stuff. The same for Regina, I would certainly advertise it for the Qu'appelle valley then for city life or whatever.

-------------
"The spider spins his web in the Palace of the Caesars,
An owl hoots in the towers of Afrasiyab."

Old Posted Apr 5, 2007, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritedenergy View Post
Check it out:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=406390

This leaves in dust Toronto too... I think there is some problem with canadian cities, and this problem is called SPRAWL

On the other hand, canadian cities are perfect for all who like quietness and big spaces, and wilderness very close. So i think Canadian municipalities will never ever be close to european cities for urbanism just because they're so less dense; they should try to highlight what they have of unique, see Winnipeg's Fort Whyte and Oak Hammock Marsh and Living Prairie Museum.

p.s.: i know this is a forum about skyscrapers, still...
I've always said we need/should take full advantage of our rivers that flow throw the city. We sorta do but I mean like what you see in England.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2007, 4:42 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Unless the Bosporus somehow is moved to Manitoba, Winnipeg will never be like that.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2007, 6:02 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Maybe we'll never be like a European city, but there's certainly no reason why Winnipeg couldn't look more like this..

Portland Oregon

Old Posted Apr 5, 2007, 7:12 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Unless the Bosporus somehow is moved to Manitoba, Winnipeg will never be like that.
Yeah, well that also applies to any inland city; not just Winnipeg.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2007, 7:42 PM
Density and complexity

It's unlikely that Winnipeg will have a medieval pattern of winding, narrow streets (though its hodge-podge grid system will forever be unique to Western Canada), enjoy a climate like Istanbul, or be a thousand years old any time soon. However, some of what was seen in that photo thread was something you don't need to be the ancient capital of the Holy Roman Empire to have: Enjoyable places for the public to sit, walk, skateboard, shop; care for old buildings (not just the biggest landmarks, but the small ordinary ones); proper urban design standards for new buildings; etc.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2007, 8:55 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Istanbul/Constantinople/Byzantium is one of the most prominent cities in human history. It was already a thousand years old during the fall of the Roman Empire.

Realistically, if you were to find cities comparable to Winnipeg or Regina you'd be looking at small or mid-sized Siberian cities.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2007, 9:59 PM
Starring as himself

People from Istanbul would likely find Winnipeg fascinating for all the reasons that people on this forum don't like it. They'd be enthralled by Pembina Highway and Linden Woods, and not the slightest bit interested in the Exchange District or our allegedly "old" buildings.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2007, 1:03 AM
visionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alva360 View Post
I've always said we need/should take full advantage of our rivers that flow throw the city. We sorta do but I mean like what you see in England.

Yeah I always wondered why this city doesn't. Maybe if there were more condos by the river that featured boat garages this would indeed increase boat traffic.... Perhaps all the existing condos buildings along our 2 rivers should start thinking of adding those features.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2007, 1:08 AM
visionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
Maybe we'll never be like a European city, but there's certainly no reason why Winnipeg couldn't look more like this..

Portland Oregon
I always wondered why our city don't have new street cars, we do have the cheapest hydro. And I am sure New flyer can make the shell. Put the two together and voila. We got a great affordable transit.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2007, 5:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
People from Istanbul would likely find Winnipeg fascinating for all the reasons that people on this forum don't like it. They'd be enthralled by Pembina Highway and Linden Woods, and not the slightest bit interested in the Exchange District or our allegedly "old" buildings.
Yes. Many years ago when I lived in downtown Vancouver, my wife's cousin visited from Japan. I thought she would love the urbanism of Downtown Vancouver, but she was not really impressed. When she went to visit my mother-in-law who lives in the burbs of Calgary, she loved it there. I guess because it was so different from Tokyo.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2007, 5:07 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperred88 View Post
I always wondered why our city don't have new street cars, we do have the cheapest hydro. And I am sure New flyer can make the shell. Put the two together and voila. We got a great affordable transit.
I have always thought that Portland's flavour of new urbanism could work really well here, and with minimum change on our part required.

I think your right about the streetcars. If any city could pull off a successful street car system it would be us.

Especially because we have so many old street car neighbourhoods like Selkirk Ave, Osborne, Corydon, and Sargent that are already setup for such a system.

We're not talking about anything too exotic here, no 40 story condo towers or fancy subway system, just plain old fashioned 1920's urbanism.

It worked once before in this town, and it was really what Winnipeg did best.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2007, 5:14 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
I have a friend from New Dehli and he was like "Where's the city?", as we drove down Bishop Grandin. I told him, "this is it"..and he was totally dumbfounded. Especially when I explained to him that even large cities like LA are filled with sprawl and lowrise buildings.

Although interesting enough he said the most beautiful building he had ever seen was the St.Boniface Basilica. He also liked the exchange because it reminded him of all the '1920's Al Capone ' films he'd seen in India.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2007, 6:32 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:

Portland Oregon
This is exactly what we need back in Winnipeg. Let's reclaim those ugly medians with the stunted half-dead trees and put back what was supposed to be there.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2007, 6:41 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

I'd love to see something like this running between the stately River Elms on Broadway..

It would be right up Winnipeg's ally, and I believe it would be well used.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2007, 10:08 PM
urbanYVR.com

portland is one my favourite cities.

compact, walkable, clean and funky... more like vancouver or victoria than seattle

Old Posted Apr 6, 2007, 10:42 PM

Quote:
I'd love to see something like this running between the stately River Elms on Broadway..

It would be right up Winnipeg's ally, and I believe it would be well used.

Winnipeg really does need a streetcar network downtown. How about a starter line from the University of Winnipeg to the Forks via Portage Avenue? It could take up the two median lanes on Portage Avenue which would make the street more pedestrian friendly.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2007, 3:29 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

I'm curious what a street car system such as the one proposed by Lee Haber8 would cost? I imagine it would be comparable in price to the proposed U of M BRT line.

I think the city might get a little more bang for its buck if it invested in a inner city street car system instead.

Last edited by Only The Lonely..; Apr 7, 2007 at 4:00 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan