HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 3:36 PM
Has been

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulley View Post
Winterpeg or Saskatoon.

It's about a 200 km shorter drive from Saskatoon. Won't be much cell coverage for the last 350 km.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 3:44 PM

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 4:44 PM
What we play is life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertaboy View Post
You want to talk about the middle of nowhere? Let's talk about Fort MacMurray, Alberta. A city with absolutely no culture and no towns around it for hundreds of kilometers; an area that is tearing up every square inch of forest around it. From space it's beginning to look like a giant moonscape. Flin Flon is in an area that isn't as isolated, plus the outdoor life is to die for in the shield country, IMO. It's easy to get to. Just go up Highway 10 from Brandon about 7 hours.
You can't even spell Fort McMurray correctly, and for that you are discredited. I have never been to Ft McMurray, but do know that you not a credible source regarding it.

Back on topic, the lakes will be pretty, but I'm betting the mosquitoes will eb out of control for the relatively short summer. But thats Canadian shield for you. Pretty lakes with some overcomable setbacks. Tell him to get a snowmobile. The best purchase a person can make when moving to an isolated Canadian town. They provide countless hours of fun through the LONG and snowy winters.

Last edited by Arriviste; Jan 26, 2007 at 4:47 PM. Reason: Too mean. Alberta Boy will learn one day... on his own volition.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 5:00 PM
Speak the truth, then run

I lived in The Pas in the 1970s. Since then they decided to keep the big box stores out, to protect the local businesses. The result: The little mall in town looks *exactly* like it did 35 years ago, and the town is stagnant.

The mall on the reserve outside of town has flourished. And there are organized shopping trips to Flin Flon where all the box stores went, along with jobs and population growth.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 5:38 PM
That's no excuse!

All I know is that there was no love lost when the Estevan Bruins came to town to take on the Bombers.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 5:53 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Bobby Clarke playing for the Flin Flon Bombers....

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 6:04 PM
That's no excuse!

[QUOTE=h0twired;2591311]Bobby Clarke playing for the Flin Flon Bombers....
QUOTE]

Of course that was back in the WCHL days. I didn't realize the teams still existed. Back then I didn't understand why #4 for the Bruins didn't look anything like Bobby Orr.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 6:09 PM
Briareos Hecatonchires

A couple of things about Flin Flon....

The city lies in both Manitoba and Saskatchewan (the vast majority is in Manitoba of course, though) Another thing is that although it does look pretty "northern", what with the Canadian Shield, boreal forest and all, Flin Flon is only a little over one degree farther north in latitude than Edmonton. Even Grande Prairie, Fort St. John and Dawson Creek, cities with a lot of surrounding farmland, are farther north than Flin Flon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls
There used to be that NFB "History of Flin Flon" vignette on TV all the time when I was growing up.. I'm sure some of you guys will remember it. Wish I could find it on the web, that would be great for Sulley to see.
I remember seeing something like that not too long ago in the '90s. It was on CBC, I believe.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arriviste View Post
You can't even spell Fort McMurray correctly, and for that you are discredited. I have never been to Ft McMurray, but do know that you not a credible source regarding it.

Back on topic, the lakes will be pretty, but I'm betting the mosquitoes will eb out of control for the relatively short summer. But thats Canadian shield for you. Pretty lakes with some overcomable setbacks. Tell him to get a snowmobile. The best purchase a person can make when moving to an isolated Canadian town. They provide countless hours of fun through the LONG and snowy winters.
You spelled "be" wrong, what does that say? Seriously... not knowing how to spell it doesn't mean he or she has never been there or that they are not credible.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 6:59 PM

I have been to Flin Flon and my opinion is that the surroundings are pretty, but culturally it is much like most resource towns, pretty rough and tumble and what some might call "redneck". Not necessarily bad, and nowhere near as bleak as McMurray but not my taste.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 7:08 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
My uncle gre up in Flin Flon. He has the dubious distinction of running over Bobby Clarke's teeth one summer with his car.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 7:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulley View Post
Hi guys,

Do any of you know anything about Flin Flon, MB and what it's like? I have a friend who is taking a job up there. All I know is that it's the 9th largest city in Manitoba and is quite... removed from civilization.

Anyone ever been?
Do you have asthma? If not after a year there you probably will.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 8:08 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:

Yeah, because there are never any spelling mistakes made by anyone except myself right? You are so bloody perfect? Loser.

As for not being a credible source, you can believe what you want. As I've stated before, my double major that I am persuing includes Land Reclemation of natural landscapes, especially those concerning the Oilsands projects up around Fort McMurray (is that better, Einstein?) so yeah, I do happen to know a little about it.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 9:33 PM
What we play is life.

Nice post Newb.
I was just pointing out that it was funny that you were passing judgement on a place that you were too inept to spell correctly. Pointing out that you are obviously ignorant.
And yes, that is better. For someone allegedly pursuing a double degree, especially in something as socially responisble as land reclaimation that you would at exude some air of intelligence. I'm guessing it's one of your first two years in post-sec and that you have yet to figure things out exactly. Still full of that teen age angst, but facing the reality of academia. Wasn't too long ago I was the same way. Step one: Get a better attitude. Step two: get informed Step three: reading your posts before hitting reply.

Last edited by Arriviste; Jan 26, 2007 at 9:43 PM.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2007, 12:12 AM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Nice post Newb.
I was just pointing out that it was funny that you were passing judgement on a place that you were too inept to spell correctly. Pointing out that you are obviously ignorant.
And yes, that is better. For someone allegedly pursuing a double degree, especially in something as socially responisble as land reclaimation that you would at exude some air of intelligence. I'm guessing it's one of your first two years in post-sec and that you have yet to figure things out exactly. Still full of that teen age angst, but facing the reality of academia. Wasn't too long ago I was the same way. Step one: Get a better attitude. Step two: get informed Step three: reading your posts before hitting reply.

My apologies; I didn't realize I was dealing with such a mature, academic scholar who is superior in terms of intelligence and more well-rounded than myself

Whatever.

Speaking of ignorance, it is also on you for criticizing my spelling errors while making mistakes yourself. That also makes you a hypocrite, and it sure as hell doesn't make you any more intelligent than myself. I think you need to read your last post and take a dose of your own medicine since you are not qualified to critique me.

Don't judge me and I won't judge you. Got it? Good.

Peace

Now enough of this petty bullshit; lets get back to the topic at hand, shall we?

Last edited by Greco Roman; Jan 27, 2007 at 12:45 AM.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2007, 12:16 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Do you have asthma? If not after a year there you probably will.
lol ya.. you guys think torontos smog is bad...

Old Posted Jan 27, 2007, 12:23 AM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
lol ya.. you guys think torontos smog is bad...

From my understanding, the mining establishments in Flin Flon have cut back on harmful emmisions by implimenting more environmentally friendly technology such as higher efficiency scrubbers to remove sulfer and other harmful chemicals spewed into the air. Of course it's still far from perfect, but nothing ever is.

ps TO smog is absolutely horrible at times, but not all the time.

Last edited by Greco Roman; Jan 27, 2007 at 12:42 AM.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2007, 3:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
In a lot of Northern Communities, the ground in permafrost, so they build sewer lines, etc. above ground. Iqaluit is probably the largest city that has them. They can't build them underground, and in many cases buildings are on stilts as well. I didn't know Flin Flon was like that though.

Flin Flon is where the government proved it doesn't know how to grow pot.
I didn't think it was so much a permafrost issue as the fact that its built on a rock. It is quite interesting to see.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2007, 3:49 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertaboy View Post
From my understanding, the mining establishments in Flin Flon have cut back on harmful emmisions by implimenting more environmentally friendly technology such as higher efficiency scrubbers to remove sulfer and other harmful chemicals spewed into the air. Of course it's still far from perfect, but nothing ever is.

ps TO smog is absolutely horrible at times, but not all the time.
scrubers are a joke just moves the polution from the air to the ground water

Old Posted Jan 27, 2007, 6:27 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
I didn't think it was so much a permafrost issue as the fact that its built on a rock. It is quite interesting to see.
Yeah, Flin Flon is basically like the moon, but with a few trees. The pictures I've seen remind me a LOT of Sudbury back when Inco had pretty much no pollution controls. (It's taken decades to recover. Driving by Sudbury in the early 90s was interesting, to say the least - the trees just got shorter and shorter as you approached town, until they were barely a foot high.)

Flin Flon is more of a "natural" moonscape, and actually has some big trees, but either way - the town is built up on solid granite bedrock. You don't run sewer lines through that, unless you're VERY rich. Permafrost, incidentally, is not an issue with granite - although there may be parts of town that have enough actual soil that this could become a concern, I doubt Flin Flon is anywhere near north enough to have much permafrost. It's about the same latitude as Edmonton, and gets similar temperatures throughout the year.

The vignette in question, or at least the one I remember, described how the town was named after one Flintabbatey Flonatin (bet I spelled that wrong!), a character in an old science fiction novel. It's one of a very few places named after a science fiction character.

In terms of moving there, I hope you enjoy small town life. It's one hell of a trip to any city. Beautiful area, though. As for cellphone coverage, there's service in town, but not GSM (Rogers), and service on the highway up is practically nonexistent. MTS's site is buggered so I can't confirm for sure, but it is remote enough that it's worth doing your homework on.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan