HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShekelcounter View Post
BS

Birmingham and Memphis are in need of jobs, but more than anything, the populace needs to adhere to establishing and respecting nuclear families, stable two-parent homes, eliminate the stupid generational practice of having multiple children out of wedlock/illegitimacy, adhere to personal responsibility, respect for family and each other, get a damn education/speak clear English/learn to write effectively, adopt strong ethical and foundational values, stop wallowing in sub-cultural lifestyles, stop admiring ghetto-ism, turn off gangsta rap, go to church, serve the community, stop the drug life.crime life.

It's about having good foundational values, morals, and FAMILY.

It's NEVER been about jobs "ACCEPTABLE DISTANCE from impoverished areas" !!! that's absolutely nutty !

How the hell do you progress or get a job without skills/training, and EDUCATION, and the ability to SPEAK CLEAR ENGLISH to communicate effectively???

Not to mention no family life???

CRAZEE thinking imho, good grief...and these problems do not plague most of the non-black community....and that's a fact too.
Shut your racist azz up.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 3:38 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcalumni01 View Post
Shut your racist azz up.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 9:52 PM
Burming Hammer

some updates from ~2,000 ft:

LEGACY ARENA:

PROTECTIVE STADIUM:

PARKSIDE:

(featuring Foundry Yards, Lumen, The Marshall, and The Palmer... i should've zoomed in more, sorry)

DOWNTOWN:

(ok, this one's a stretch but if you squint you can see The Metropolitan and Lakeview Green in the distance and AT&T in the foreground)

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 2:46 AM
Cat Enthusiast

I can't wait till the G-League team moves to town. I'll be buying season tickets as soon as possible! Looking forward to see what every done with Legacy Arena, too.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2021, 3:08 PM
The Salty Ham

I *wait* can't to go to a live sporting event in Protective or the BJCC.

Last edited by Tourian; Feb 19, 2021 at 9:30 AM.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 5:01 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Source: ALDOT

Looks like ALDOT is ready to turn the Lakeshore/I-65 interchange into a diverging diamond. This would be only the second in Alabama, and the first in Greater Birmingham.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpawnOfVulcan View Post

Source: ALDOT

Looks like ALDOT is ready to turn the Lakeshore/I-65 interchange into a diverging diamond. This would be only the second in Alabama, and the first in Greater Birmingham.
https://www.bizjournals.com/birmingh...change-at.html

Construction on a long-awaited road project in Homewood is set to begin in spring 2021.

The $14 million diverging diamond interchange project at the intersection of Lakeshore Drive and Interstate 65 is scheduled to be set in February, an Alabama Department of Transportation spokesperson told the BBJ.

It will be the first diverging diamond interchange in Birmingham and the second in the state. As we previously reported, the project was originally pitched in 2016 and slated for 2020, but funding hadn’t come through as of March this year.

The city of Homewood has now committed $2.8 million to the project, and ALDOT will contribute $7.2 million. The remainder of the funds have been secured through metropolitan planning, said ALDOT Public Information Officer Linda Crockett.

During its budget hearings in September, the Homewood City Council approved two payments of $1.4 million to be made to ALDOT for the project. The first payment is set to be made in early 2020 as part of the city’s Fiscal Year 2020-2021 budget, and the second is to be made in October as part of the FY21-22 budget.

With a diverging diamond interchange, the two directions of traffic on the non-freeway road cross to the opposite side on both sides of the bridge at the freeway. The diverging diamond is used to alleviate traffic congestion where interstates intersect with major highways. The design reduces left turns, and studies have shown it can decrease traffic congestion.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 3:47 AM
Burming Hammer

ALDOT aims to complete CityWalk BHAM before The World Games 2022

site plan renderings from bhamnow.com article:

OVERALL SITE PLAN:

BLOCKS FROM WEST TO EAST:

Old Posted Feb 6, 2021, 11:15 PM

That concept looks cool on paper, but will it work? Are there other examples of an under-bridge urban parks like this?

I’ve seen basketball courts and even a small skatepark that seem to work ok, but nothing on this scale.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2021, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad9 View Post
That concept looks cool on paper, but will it work? Are there other examples of an under-bridge urban parks like this?

I’ve seen basketball courts and even a small skatepark that seem to work ok, but nothing on this scale.
https://archive.curbed.com/2017/1/9/...ss-park-public

https://www.nar.realtor/blogs/spaces...t-destinations

Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 2:29 AM

Cool stuff. Hope it turns out as cool as it looks. It’s already a treat to drive underneath it in the evening on my drive home with the lighting.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 3:39 AM
Burming Hammer

this would share the block with iron city lofts... looks like it would take up the entire half-block (across from trim tab).

renderings in the article:

DRC hears proposal for loft project at historic Lakeview building

A prominent local developer is exploring options for a historic building in Lakeview.

Harbert Realty is proposing an adaptive reuse of the building at the corner of Fifth Avenue and 28th Street South that has housed ABSCO Fireplace & Patio.

Its current conceptual plan that project representatives presented to Birmingham’s Design Review Committee calls for demolishing the structures on site and repurposing the materials for a new multifamily development with 120 units that would include studios as well as one- and two-bedroom loft units. Amenities would include a pool deck, fitness center and bike room.

Historically known as the Huston Biscuit Factory, it served as the first cracker plant for the American Bakeries Co., according to a report by Schneider Historic Preservation. The tall factory building is a contributing structure that dates back to about 1902, and several additions were made to the property over the years in the 1930s and 1960s. The windows also date to the 1960s. In 2019, the National Park Service confirmed the old factory building’s status as a contributing structure in the Southside Historic District.

Since then, several uses were planned for the property, including a new arts campus for Red Mountain Theatre Co. before the organization decided to change course and build in Parkside. Another developer looked at the site but pulled out due to structural engineering reports that showed the high cost of redeveloping the property, even with federal and state historic tax credits.

Harbert Realty affiliate Fifth South Apartments LLC acquired the property at 416 28th St. S. for $2 million last year, as we reported.

The DRC decided to table the item for further review during a working session.

Located next to Iron City Lofts, it’s a property situated in the Lakeview area that has seen steady interest from developers over the past few years, particularly from the multifamily sector.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2021, 6:38 PM
Burming Hammer

a couple of updates driving home today...

LAKEVIEW GREEN

DOBBINS GROUP (AVONDALE)

also, i noticed that glass is being installed at Legacy Arena... they had about 1/4 of the facade complete.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2021, 12:21 AM

Feb Updates

Hey guys! Haven't posted on here in a while but decided to take some pics this weekend along with some updates from what I've heard/seen:

The Loft District continues to see infill activity. The three major projects on 1st Ave. are Mercantile on Morris, the Armour & Co. Building, and The Kelly Hotel. At Mercantile- construction crews are working on the pedestrian plaza connecting Morris to 1st which will include several retail/restaurant spaces (14,000 SF)- two tenants already announced (men's clothier and an ice cream place I believe) along with 47 residential units. Hopefully we'll see more announcements as we emerge from COVID.

Work is continuing on the Armour & Co. Building. They've been spending lots of time on the interior. Looking forward to seeing what the facade looks like- hopefully tons of windows. 26 units + 20,000 sf of commercial space on 1st which should bring more connectivity between Carrigans and the rest of the restaurants/bars along 1st and 2nd.

The Kelly Hotel in the Commerce Center Building has making progress as well. 96 rooms are planned in this Hilton Tapestry project. Still waiting for those large glass windows to go in on the corner of 1st and Arrington which should really open the building up to the street. They’ll also be some connectivity from the basement to Morris but its not clear what that space will include- a spa has been mentioned. Another really cool feature of this place will be the rooftop bar which has this incredible vaulted ceiling with plenty of windows and a rooftop patio overlooking the city.

The Rotary Trail and the surrounding blocks seem like they’re about to come into their own as a walkable neighborhood. I think there’s close to 5 or 6 decent sized developments in motion that should significantly add to the density and encourage more walkability. We’ve mentioned the Hardwick project which seems like a beautiful concept- props to the developers and architects. Reminds me of some of the cool re-use projects you see in postindustrial areas of London. I would love to see more attention paid to the railroad side of the site- feels like such an underutilized space that could really cool. Hopefully Bayer can figure something out. Haven’t heard anything recent on The Railyard (microhousing project). Avenue A continues progress on their 4 buildings- seems like those things are in hot demand. There’s been no visible movement on The Tracks- a 273 unit apartment project located at the TE Stevens Construction site between 24th and the Expressway. I think this project would be huge in building more connectivity between Pepper Place/ Lakeview and the downtown core. Fingers crossed. The second phase of the Battery is underway a couple blocks away at 2nd and 22nd. Project includes a new 22-room boutique hotel and some restaurant/bar space. Looks like work is continuing on the interior. Lastly, the third phase of the 20 Midtown project has made rapid progress- 321 apartments and 39,000 SF of retail. Construction crews are out there working all the time. This thing is going to be massive. They’ve got the concrete poured for the first two stories and its going to be higher than I thought. Once finished, its going to make a huge difference on 20th especially.

Lakeview and Pepper Place have also kept momentum. Lakeview Green is making progress with both the housing and adjacent retail section. 118 residential units and 27,000 SF of ground-level retail with a cool greenspace area. Building design looks really sleek as you drive along 4th Ave. and once finished will give those blocks more identity- I’m sure Mayawell and Automatic Seafood are excited- will actually seem like a dense place.

A block to the north- the Metropolitan is continuing to be renovated after the fire. They’ve completely gutted the thing and now appear to be bricking some of it? Seems like a crazy journey that building has gone through. Not a huge fan of the design but nonetheless- it adds housing density to Lakeview which is a plus.

That’s it for now. I’ll post updates on Parkside later.

Last edited by JDRWAREAGLE; Feb 22, 2021 at 2:04 PM.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2021, 1:03 AM
Burming Hammer

PROTECTIVE STADIUM

LEGACY ARENA

THE PALMER

THE MARSHALL

FOUNDRY YARDS

(hard to get pics of this one and Lumen because they basically face an alley..)

LUMEN

20 MIDTOWN

MERCANTILE ON MORRIS

HOTEL ON 2ND

HINKLE BUILDING

LAKEVIEW GREEN

AVENUE A TOWNHOMES

Old Posted Feb 22, 2021, 4:59 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Great updates, y'all! The amount of activity taking place in downtown is making my head spin. Hope y'all posted these updates to the City Compilation as well!

Old Posted Feb 22, 2021, 5:15 AM
Burming Hammer

^dueling updates haha. looks like we covered a lot of the same ground. glad JDR got some of the details i couldn't get from my car (like the plaza at mercantile on morris).

Old Posted Feb 22, 2021, 5:26 AM
Burming Hammer

one area i didn't drive around today was Five Points / UAB. pretty sure the dorm and Ascend are complete. that leaves the IT Technology Center, which should be wrapping up. fencing has been up for the Science & Engineering Complex on 14th, but i don't know if construction has started.

speaking of, i don't think i had ever seen this video before of the new facility... looks nice:

https://www.uab.edu/cas/building/

https://youtu.be/VbAxokvSmpk

here's what it's replacing:

Google Street View

Last edited by TimCity2000; Feb 22, 2021 at 5:37 AM.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2021, 2:14 PM

Looks like a great replacement- like how these new buildings are being designed. Got plans for a second phase that will front University too.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2021, 2:59 AM

Here's some updates from Parkside from this weekend.

The Laundry is the new concept led by Craft O’Neal with help from Creature and Chris Hastings- located just south of Railroad Park at corner of 2nd and 17th S. I believe this includes a restaurant with a nice concert venue. This was originally called a “honky tonk” but the renderings I’ve seen don’t exactly scream that….more high end than some trashy Nashville Broadway thing. This should bring more vitality to the district (esp. after 5:00) which is much needed. A nicer restaurant should also do well here.

Lumen continued its progress. This project makes a big difference from both the north and south sides of the track. The alley its creates between Bakers Row (EDPA), Foundry Yards, and the structure itself is pretty cool. Originally plans called for ground level retail here- specifically some new restaurant concepts- I believe its was a new modern meat and 3 idea.

The Palmer is also making rapid progress- they’ve started to brick the lower levels which I believe will be ground-level retail. Seems like Daniel is offering a higher quality option than some of the other projects in motion right now. Coolest thing with this one is the pool overlooking Regions Field.

The Marshall just started construction and crane is in place. This thing will be another monster and should really add to the view of the city from 65. Should be a really cool view down 3rd Ave. South which is rapidly becoming a major street on the southside.

Red Mountain Theater is very close to being completed. Similar to The Laundry project- this should add some nighttime cultural activity to an area that needs that. They did a pretty good job creating something unique with the warehouses that were there. Multiple entrances on this “campus” with an opportunity to provide a steady stream of foot traffic.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast