HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jun 24, 2015, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
hard to believe you did not add los angeles for your limited view of ny'ers.

for all ny'ers florida would be right up there with anywhere nearby. its basically a sixth borough. ditto for much of the midwest.
What is that even supposed to mean?

Lots of NYers go to Miami in the winter, but not nearly as many as summer at the beach in Long Island or Jersey. Very few fly across the country to LA, compared to the number who go to nearby beaches. Friday afternoons in the summer are an exodus from NYC via the LIE and Northern/Southern State Parkways.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2015, 1:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave8721 View Post
From Miami:

Fort Lauderdale: Probably 5 to 10 times a year for various purposes. My kids love the science museum there as well.
West Palm Beach: My brother lives there so fairly often
Orlando: I have 2 kids under 7. Of course I go there a lot.
It's a good Science musuem, but Broward county might as well be Georgia for as many times as I make it up there. Same with Palm Beach.

Orlando... I have kids and family up there. It's frequent.

Probably a good time for the heat maps that Shiro posted a while ago.
https://theopolis.me/location-history-visualizer/

I don't get out much.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2015, 4:04 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
What is that even supposed to mean?

Lots of NYers go to Miami in the winter, but not nearly as many as summer at the beach in Long Island or Jersey. Very few fly across the country to LA, compared to the number who go to nearby beaches. Friday afternoons in the summer are an exodus from NYC via the LIE and Northern/Southern State Parkways.
for one obvious thing, it means there is more to a year than summer lol. not to mention much more to florida than miami. coast to coast travel is steadier throughout the year. basically travel to these more far flung places, along with dc, is considered so extremely common its as though they were directly adjacent to the city limits.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2015, 10:59 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

The nearest city outside our metro is a 1,500-km drive and 6-hour ferry ride away. So... almost never.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2015, 1:11 AM

Where the heck are you, New Zealand?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2015, 1:42 AM
BANNED

St. John's probably...

Old Posted Jun 25, 2015, 2:54 AM

I've enjoyed every city I have ever been to. Some more than others, but every place has something unique and interesting.

If you are too stuck up to admit that, then good riddance. Leave the off-the-beaten path places to us non-conformists.

BTW, Cincinnati is a really neat city with interesting topography, a mix of Southern-Midwestern-Appalachian culture, an amazing stock of historic architecture, and so much more. About the only thing that disappointed me was the chili. There isn't enough fireball in the world to make Skyline taste good.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2015, 2:37 PM
Burming Hammer

Atlanta is probably the only neighboring city that I visit with any sort of regularity. About 2-2.5 hours away. I'm there probably 3-4 times a year.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2015, 3:13 PM

Quote:
for one obvious thing, it means there is more to a year than summer lol. not to mention much more to florida than miami. coast to coast travel is steadier throughout the year. basically travel to these more far flung places, along with dc, is considered so extremely common its as though they were directly adjacent to the city limits.
No, that's not even close to accurate.

There's a lot of business travel, but New Yorkers aren't routinely jetting off to LA for the weekend. They are routinely heading to the beach on weekends in the summer, and in fall to New England, and in winter maybe skiing in Vermont or eastern PA.

And while there is more to the year than summer, a LOT more New Yorkers leave the city at all in the summer than any time of year. In the winter people stay around on the weekends, save for a trip somewhere to ski or get out of the cold in Florida or the Bahamas or Caribbean. In the summer there's a mass exodus out of the city (and always has been) due to the excessive heat.

Lastly, there might be more to Florida than Miami, but other than families going to Disney or the southwest coast (which is mostly Midwesterners), there isn't much else worth visiting. People aren't spending weekends in Tallahassee.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2015, 3:27 PM
BANNED

Quote:
No, that's not even close to accurate.

There's a lot of business travel, but New Yorkers aren't routinely jetting off to LA for the weekend. They are routinely heading to the beach on weekends in the summer, and in fall to New England, and in winter maybe skiing in Vermont or eastern PA.

And while there is more to the year than summer, a LOT more New Yorkers leave the city at all in the summer than any time of year. In the winter people stay around on the weekends, save for a trip somewhere to ski or get out of the cold in Florida or the Bahamas or Caribbean. In the summer there's a mass exodus out of the city (and always has been) due to the excessive heat.

Lastly, there might be more to Florida than Miami, but other than families going to Disney or the southwest coast (which is mostly Midwesterners), there isn't much else worth visiting. People aren't spending weekends in Tallahassee.
I see a lot of NYers and other East Coasters in CA on leisure very often, throughout the year. They're not jetting off for the weekend, but more like a week as a planned vacation. Euros, stay in CA for a month, usually do a whole west coast, Vegas, Grand Canyon tour.

Obviously many more NYers in numbers will stay local, Jersey Shore, LI, New England etc, but it's fairly common to go west.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2015, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
St. John's probably...
New Foundland? I would suppose that is pretty far from anything.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2015, 6:50 PM
BANNED

It's very far from everything. Newfoundland is like its own country, separated from the rest of Canada by miles of water and a weird, half hour time zone. St John's is a very long ferry ride and even longer drive from Halifax, the next closest large city.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2015, 8:48 PM

Winnipeg's relative isolation is one of my least favourite things about this otherwise fine city. There really aren't any neighbouring cities... most take the better part of a day to drive to:

To the east there's Thunder Bay, where I haven't been in a good 20 years.

To the west there's Regina and Saskatoon, where I haven't been since the early 2000s, other than simply passing through town on the highway.

To the south there's Grand Forks (usually about once every couple of years) and Fargo (same), which are mainly for cross border shopping trips. Then there's Minneapolis (used to be a couple times a year, but haven't been there except for airport connections since becoming a dad).

To the north there are no cities.

Out of all those places, only Grand Forks is less than 3 hours away by car. Any places more distant than those, I really wouldn't consider neighbouring.

All I can say is I envy you people with million+ cities within a couple of hours of driving!

Old Posted Jun 25, 2015, 10:52 PM
i ain't no bubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasta View Post
I've enjoyed every city I have ever been to. Some more than others, but every place has something unique and interesting.
I enjoy the variety of places I've done on a weekend drive trip from Atlanta...each one definitely has it's own unique and interesting personality.
Savannah
Asheville
Birmingham
Chattanooga
Greenville SC
Charleston
Tampa
Sarasota
Orlando
and if you're as big around as you are tall and love miniature golf, there's always Myrtle Beach.

Last edited by (four 0 four); Jun 26, 2015 at 10:19 PM.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2015, 4:03 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Not terribly often. I was in Jersey City and Hoboken about a month ago and had been in NYC about a year before that. I was in Baltimore for an interview in December, but I haven't been in DC since the end of 2012. And these were all for either job interviews or dates ... I haven't gone to a neighboring city purely to sightsee in a while.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Jun 27, 2015, 9:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo the Dog View Post
I see a lot of NYers and other East Coasters in CA on leisure very often, throughout the year. They're not jetting off for the weekend, but more like a week as a planned vacation. Euros, stay in CA for a month, usually do a whole west coast, Vegas, Grand Canyon tour.

Obviously many more NYers in numbers will stay local, Jersey Shore, LI, New England etc, but it's fairly common to go west.
I think you're missing the point. You'll see NYers everywhere; there are close to 20 million people in the metro area. But people in all large cities go to non-urban areas nearby more often than nearby cities. That was my original argument and saying that LA or Miami are popular helps to prove the point, as neither are nearby cities but rather "destinations".

mrnyc just accused me of having a "limited view" because I didn't include LA when commenting in a thread about visiting local cities (for obvious reasons), and then said it was almost as if LA and NY were adjacent, which is of course absurd. I'm not debating that LA or CA generally are big tourist destinations, but they're certainly not the topic of the thread.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2015, 1:37 PM

Multiple times a month (work/family):

Daytona
Orlando

2-5 times/year:

Tampa (family)
Miami/Fort Lauderdale (family)
Atlanta (business)

Annually:

Detroit (family)
Savannah/Charleston (change of pace)

For the hell of it (random places depending on when opportunity presents itself):

So far in 2015...

NYC
Seattle
Reno
St Petersburg

Next week:

San Francisco
Honolulu

Old Posted Jun 28, 2015, 4:23 AM
disorient yourself?

Within the past 3 years I have visited;

New York,
Denver,
San Francisco,
Pittsburgh,
Boston,
Chicago,
Philadelphia, and
Dallas.

Usually I like places where I can get around the city without a car and go explore while avoiding the tourist traps.

New York, Boston, and Philadelphia have the best people by far. Everyone is friendly and warm and can give great tips on where to eat and where to drink. I would say I was most impressed with these three. Chicago was great as well and made for a very rich experience.

Pittsburgh wins for most unique. I loved the steep hills and Americana architecture, plus everywhere felt like grandma's house.

San Fran. has the best scenery but my observation was that people seemed pretty insular and didn't get east of the Sierras much (if ever). I know California is great and that its residents are very lucky. I have lived there myself and came back to visit.

Denver was much older than I expected and Dallas is a great place to go out for the night.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 1:41 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
I think you're missing the point. You'll see NYers everywhere; there are close to 20 million people in the metro area.
why anyone would take any of your opinions seriously when you cant even state simple facts correctly?

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 1:46 PM

Quote:
why anyone would take any of your opinions seriously when you cant even state simple facts correctly?
What simple fact is stated incorrectly?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions