HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto

Old Posted Feb 8, 2011, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Architect View Post
This is the biggest thing that makes my blood boil.
Toronto is the biggest city in Canada, has the most professional sports teams in Canada, and is the home to not only one of the oldest professional sports franchises in NA but is the birthplace of football itself.
Saying Toronto doesn't deserve the Argos is like saying Montreal doesn't deserve the Habs or St. Andrews doesn't deserve a golf course.

If the Argos played in a stadium the size of Molson or Taylor Field they would fill it, or come very close.
Do the Lions fill BC Place? No. But nobody is saying they don't deserve their team, without even using the fact that the Lions are irrelevant to the history of the league and the game.
Just another excuse for Toronto bashing.
Well Toronto gets bashed because it is percived to turn its back on the country. Montreal got the same treatment. BTW I'm an NFL Toronto supporter from Hamilton so I have no reason to defend the CFL or bash Toronto, just stating isaidso is correct. The Bills on their worst drew 50k, Argos are playoff bound and drew 23???k, says a lot, action speak louder than words.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2011, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis1 View Post
Well Toronto gets bashed because it is percived to turn its back on the country. Montreal got the same treatment. BTW I'm an NFL Toronto supporter from Hamilton so I have no reason to defend the CFL or bash Toronto, just stating isaidso is correct. The Bills on their worst drew 50k, Argos are playoff bound and drew 23???k, says a lot, action speak louder than words.
The Bills Toronto series attendance had a lot to do with the fact that it 1. was something we didn't have the opportunity to see very often, and 2. was hyped up like everything else in the NFL, which is something the Argos don't get.

That, along with the whole coming out of 2 seasons of decimation. I personally went to every home game I could, and wish more Toronto football fans (which there are a lot more of than it seems) would do the same. Also, as I stated before, in my opinion the Argos would have done well attendance wise at BMO or a similar stadium with the way their play was, similar to the Als with Molson.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2011, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Toronto should be beaming with pride over that team but treats the Argos like a pile of shit. They behave like the Argos are an embarrasment to be hidden from sight.
No kidding. Especially when one considers how crappy the Leafs have been for the last 40 years, yet Leafs fans beam with pride and even held a goddamn parade when their 7th place team made it to the conference finals that one year.

In fact, I think the Argos have a more culturally-influential, interesting, and decorated history than the Maple Leafs.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2011, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
No kidding. Especially when one considers how crappy the Leafs have been for the last 40 years, yet Leafs fans beam with pride and even held a goddamn parade when their 7th place team made it to the conference finals that one year.

In fact, I think the Argos have a more culturally-influential, interesting, and decorated history than the Maple Leafs.
Fair enough, but that's like arguing the Habs vs Als in Montreal.. or the Stamps vs. Flames in Calgary. CFL may be huge in Canada, but nothing approaches hockey.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2011, 8:54 PM

Quote:
CFL may be huge in Canada, but nothing approaches hockey.
No question. But the lack of support that the Argos have is simply criminal.

Maybe they just need a better owner who can give the team some on-field and off-field stability for a decade or so? Or something. I don't know. But the Argos definitely should be drawing bigger crowds and ratings than they presently do. They should be the "Dallas Cowboys" of the CFL.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2011, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
No question. But the lack of support that the Argos have is simply criminal.

Maybe they just need a better owner who can give the team some on-field and off-field stability for a decade or so? Or something. I don't know. But the Argos definitely should be drawing bigger crowds and ratings than they presently do. They should be the "Dallas Cowboys" of the CFL.
Braley is supposed to do that.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2011, 9:50 PM

Quote:
The Bills Toronto series attendance had a lot to do with the fact that it 1. was something we didn't have the opportunity to see very often, and 2. was hyped up like everything else in the NFL, which is something the Argos don't get.

That, along with the whole coming out of 2 seasons of decimation. I personally went to every home game I could, and wish more Toronto football fans (which there are a lot more of than it seems) would do the same. Also, as I stated before, in my opinion the Argos would have done well attendance wise at BMO or a similar stadium with the way their play was, similar to the Als with Molson.
If they could get 50k for the crappy team, what makes you think the NFL would not sell out for 8 games. Much easier than the blue jays 80 or so.
They argos were not even selling out back when they won the grey cup in 96/97. Of course they would do well at BMO but they did not want that. Toronto is a frontrunner and hype market, which I have no problem as I could care less about the CFL, but some see it as rejecting Canada. But I should be clear, I don't, because last time I checked there was more to culture than sports.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2011, 5:30 PM

Quote:
The CFL is not a "farm league" of the NFL. Different rules, different game. (I like the CFL better anyways)

The NFL has about as much of a chance of coming to Toronto as Winnipeg does of getting an NHL team.

Toronto deserves the Argos just as much as any city deserves their team, if not more.
Well hey....

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto