HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Nov 2, 2010, 9:26 PM

Sacramento River: Walnut Grove, Courtland, Sacramento

For part one, go here

Walnut Grove, CA (pop 669)

The Sacramento River

Courtland, CA

I hadn't planned on stopping in Courtland, but this building drew my attention from the highway.

Hood, CA

Not 10 minutes from Hwy 5, yet this place seems almost forgotten.

Approaching Sacramento

A simple turn around and Mt Diablo, over looking the Bay Area, is never far from view

Sacramento, CA

The CalSTRS building is such a great addition to the Sacramento River waterfront

This day quite unexpectedly happened to be Gold Rush Days in Old Town Sacramento

1: Los Angeles, 2: Hollywood, Glendale, Pasadena, Beverly Hills, 3: Riverside, Santa Ana, Long Beach, 4: San Jose, 5: San Diego, 6: Fresno, 7: Stockton, Modesto, 8: Gold Country, 9: Eureka, Arcata, 10: Monterey, Carmel, 11: Santa Cruz, 12: Sacramento Pt One, 13: Sacramento Pt Two, 14: Roseville & Folsom, 15: Concord & Walnut Creek, 16: Tri-Valley, 17: Berkeley, Emeryville, 18: Fremont, 19: Santa Clara, Mountain View, Palo Alto, 20: Redwood City, Foster City, San Mateo, 21: Oakland, 22: Benicia, Vallejo, 23: Napa, St. Helena, 24: Petaluma, Santa Rosa, Sonoma, 25: San Rafael, 26: Larkspur, Mill Valley, 27: Sausalito, Tiburon, 28: Hollister, San Juan Bautista, 29: Long Beach 2008, 30: Venice, 31: Santa Monica, 32: Sacramento Pt 3, 33: Solvang, 34: Alameda, 35: Knights Ferry, 36: California Zephyr, 37: Colfax, 38: Davis, 39: Oakdale, 40: San Francisco Pt 1, San Francisco Pt 2, 41: Chico, Redding, 42: Kings Beach, 43: Merced, 44: Gold Country pt 2, 45: Gold Country pt 3, 46: Sonora, 47: Vacaville, Fairfield, Suisun City, 48: Orange, Fullerton, 49: Anaheim, Irvine, 50: Newport Beach, Laguna Beach,51: San Francisco, Pt 3, 52: Lodi, 53: Martinez, 54: Ft Bragg, Mendocino, 55: San Luis Obispo, 56: Sacramento River Pt 1

Old Posted Nov 3, 2010, 3:11 AM

Another very interesting photo set.

Hood looks totally abandoned!

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Nov 3, 2010, 5:17 AM
I'm cheap

A lot of those little towns remind me of the towns in the interior of BC. A couple come to mind and that would be Sicamous on Shuswap Lake and Clinton, BC.

Sacramento really doesn't look as big as it is. But it looks really low-key kinda laid back compared to SF and LA

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 1:22 AM
Bah!

Lot of variety in this thread. Thanks for the photos.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 5:13 AM
Here we stAy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrod View Post
Sacramento really doesn't look as big as it is. But it looks really low-key kinda laid back compared to SF and LA
You would be correct.

Always wanted to do the Hwy 160 tour. Thanks for the pix, stepper.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 1:06 PM

Nice pictures. I don't really think of little river towns when I think of California.

Old Town Sacramento looks pretty interesting, especially with that Gold Rush festival going on. Does it actually have streets paved with dirt like that one picture apparently shows?

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 1:48 PM

Amazing bridges - especially that first one!

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 5:10 PM

I really wish Sacramento would embrace it's bigger city status with a grander skyline. But, at the same time, the laid back feel is it's biggest charm. I did a couple of threads on Sacramento before, but the links for the first two on here are dead apparently, but you can see part one and part two on my website. Part 3 is still on SSP.

@xzmattzx, no, the streets of Old Town Sacramento are not normally dirt. They did it for the Gold Rush Days which I had never been to, despite living in Sacramento for many years, so, that was cool to see. If you click on the link for part two above, I have some photos of Old Town without the dirt streets.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2010, 3:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepper77 View Post
@xzmattzx, no, the streets of Old Town Sacramento are not normally dirt. They did it for the Gold Rush Days which I had never been to, despite living in Sacramento for many years, so, that was cool to see. If you click on the link for part two above, I have some photos of Old Town without the dirt streets.
Thanks for clearing that up. However, this place appears to have dirt streets, unless the picture is not telling the whole story.

I'm surprised to see that Sacramento only has an elevation of 25 (as seen in part two).

What area of California are you planning on visiting and photographing next? What areas have you never been to? What areas that you've never photographed do you look forward to photographing the most?

Old Posted Nov 5, 2010, 6:26 PM

Good catch! That picture is taken in the area in the upper left corner and it looks like the tracks themselves may be on dirt (though I don't recall specifically). The rest of Old Town in the lower right is paved, though they covered all of streets with dirt for the event.

Yes, Sacramento is pretty low in elevation being so close to the Delta, which is the lowest part of the central valley. Stockton, about 50 miles south on the San Joaquin River is only 10 ft. The ever present concern, even more so after Hurricane Katrina, is that the levees in the Delta are higher than the development behind and the potential damage from levee breaks if we had a powerful earthquake.

As to my photography plans, I'd like to do more exploring of the Central Valley. I have a few I've already done and would maybe like to see more of the San Joaquin Valley. The summers there are always really hot though and the winters bring a lot of fog, so, conditions aren't always ideal. I've also never been to Santa Barbara other than to drive by, nor have I ever been to the desert parts of California like Palm Springs or Death Valley. On the other end of the state, I'd like to go to Crescent City in the Northern coast and spend more time in the Redwoods. I'm also dying to check out the fall colors of the Eastern Sierras near Bishop/Mono Lake. I missed it this year. Sometimes I'm amazed at how big (and diverse) California is!

What about you? I always enjoy your Delaware threads. Have you done any of Wilmington itself?

Old Posted Nov 5, 2010, 6:29 PM

Sacramento definately has a leg up on the other river towns, IMHO.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2010, 7:06 PM

Agreed! People from the Bay Area always dismiss it with the rest of the Central Valley, but, having lived there, I love Sacramento.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2010, 8:06 PM
CHACUN SON GOÛT

Great Photos, Stepper!

Have you been to Swabbies - a Restaurant, Bar/Pub. It attracts bikers and rough n ready folk, also regular folk too. It is on the Garden Hwy (160), just under the I-5 Bridge that traverses the Sacramento River, just north of Downtown (8miles). It's tucked under big Oak trees next to a big Boat Launching spot. It's has a real Nor-Cal River Delta Country Folk feel that's distinctive to Sacramento's Delta.

I believe "The Mentalist" shot a scene there regarding an episode about a "biker murder". You can't miss it as there will be 20-100 Harley's parked out front.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2010, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepper77 View Post
As to my photography plans, I'd like to do more exploring of the Central Valley. I have a few I've already done and would maybe like to see more of the San Joaquin Valley. The summers there are always really hot though and the winters bring a lot of fog, so, conditions aren't always ideal. I've also never been to Santa Barbara other than to drive by, nor have I ever been to the desert parts of California like Palm Springs or Death Valley. On the other end of the state, I'd like to go to Crescent City in the Northern coast and spend more time in the Redwoods. I'm also dying to check out the fall colors of the Eastern Sierras near Bishop/Mono Lake. I missed it this year. Sometimes I'm amazed at how big (and diverse) California is!

What about you? I always enjoy your Delaware threads. Have you done any of Wilmington itself?
Thanks for showing me where Old Town and all of that stuff is. I would like to see you cover more of your state as well. Deserts are pretty cool to me, since they are so foreign and completely different from anything I've ever experienced. As for Wilmington, I did some threads a few years ago, and will be returning, but I have so much to cover (I am in the process of showing literally the entire state) that I'm not really in the mood to re-do Wilmington neighborhoods right now. On top of that, I'm so far behind in pictures to show, like neighborhoods in Columbus, Cleveland, Boston, San Francisco (those are recent), Newark, Toronto, Philadelphia, and a some mid-sized cities like Niagara Falls, St. Catharines, Annapolis, and Harrisburg. Then there are small cities and towns to get to, like places in Pennsylvania and Maryland.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2010, 5:54 AM

Hood is where the water contractors want to start the peripheral canal, and pump Sacto river water around the Delta for export south. The Delta could then become the next Owens Valley. Forget it Jake, it's Chinatown.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2010, 6:20 PM

@BrianSac, no I've never been there, it sounds like an interesting place. Funny, I'm always watching the Mentalist trying to figure out what, if any, scenes are actually shot in Sacramento. I'm glad there is an actual shot of the Sacramento skyline looking out the window of the office the characters on the show work in.

@xzmattzx, wow, you really do have a lot to show us! Well, I'll be on the lookout and try to get myself to the desert soon.

@sgoet, that would be awful if that happened. But, I would imagine some sort of Northern California revolt would occur first.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos