HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Nov 23, 2016, 5:33 PM
Community Guy

Crosses fingers and makes a wish upon a star.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Nov 23, 2016, 6:24 PM

I have a sense that the real success of this park hinges on its design elements related to the non-summer seasons. They can put all the uber-green rainforest renderings they want with balloons, face-painters and jugglers but the park's true success will be measured in how it responds to much of the year when the elements are much less conducive to the rather festive renders that are typically used to pitch projects like these.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2016, 6:40 PM
HVAC guru

Like the failed winteropolis concept at Churchill a few years ago, without programming it will be barren and vacant in the winter months

Unlike Churchill, this area doesn't really have a draw or any particular reason for people to want to be there, unless you're one of the handful of people that live close by.

The space will compete with other public spaces for programming. Really the best case is eventually there'll be some more people living in the area that will enjoy it

Old Posted Nov 23, 2016, 6:56 PM
BANNED

Yeah, just because it's a central park doesn't make it Central Park.

(I figure the Semantics Squad that debates downtown vs Downtown gets the gist of what I'm saying.)

It's a lovely idea & if its cost is going to be fully borne by the CRL I've got no objections to them going forward. I just don't feel it's a benefit for all at the level where all should pay for it.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2016, 6:59 PM
HVAC guru

^ the "real" Central Parks to me are the types of parks that have large mature trees, lots of green space, water features and nicely manicured gardens

The closest example we have in Edmonton to that would be Borden Park I think

Old Posted Nov 23, 2016, 7:11 PM

Borden is a perfect example. Not just for the trees, grass and stunning sculptures, but also ...

Lots and lots of places to picnic. Was really impressed on a chilly autumn weekday with the number of families that would gather and picnic.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2016, 7:13 PM
BANNED

My wife adored Borden Park when she was here this summer.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2016, 8:08 PM

I hope the design incorporates a decently sized open field.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2016, 8:57 PM

News is that one of the lot owners has has agreed to negotiate with the City versus face possible expropriation.

The official line was, CoE's latest offer is close enough to what they think is reasonable to be worth talking about.

Maybe this not only will happen, but sooner than later.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2016, 8:36 PM
Community Guy

City buying up land to build a 'highly attractive' downtown park

ELISE STOLTE

Edmonton has decided to turn a second set of surface parking lots into a green, grassy park and is starting to expropriate the land from current landowners.

Alex Decoteau Park is being built on a city-owned parking lot. But this new park north of Jasper Avenue on both sides of 107 Street, is owned by four different companies. It’s currently a massive gravel parking lot north of Audreys Book and the Boston Pizza.

City officials brought expropriation proceedings to the urban planning committee Wednesday, then postponed the debate to Feb. 15 because one landowner said he could likely sell voluntarily before then.

Proceedings against the three remaining landowners could take a year.

“You don’t find an open space this large in the downtown, it doesn’t exist,” said senior planner Duncan Fraser, explaining why the city picked this spot to develop. It wanted to avoid hurting any existing businesses or buildings. These 18 lots are vacant.

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...-downtown-park

Old Posted Nov 25, 2016, 12:40 AM

Do you think it would work to close 107 street between Jasper Ave and 102 ave in order to make one large continuous park, perhaps with a playing field, instead of two parks on different sides of the street? Or would that mess up traffic too much? (I think it would be perfectly doable.) In any case, I'm getting ahead of myself, but I do think this would be a positive development for downtown and the city as a whole.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2016, 2:49 PM
Klatuu Barada Nikto

^ I'd say it's possible. Traffic in that area, even during peak times, is virtually nonexistent.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2016, 4:02 PM

I would hope they're planning to close 107 Street to make one continuous park.

There's plenty of other ways to get N/S and as mentioned above, and it's not like there's any business there to be affected by it's closure where the park is proposed since it's all parking lots. Really excited to see this move ahead and I hope it doesn't take forever.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2016, 4:29 PM
Urban Advocate

I think you can do it without closing 107th; it would just take some creativity. Maybe 107th delineates the type of parks on either side?

If you did close it, I'd say close it from 102 to the alley north of Jasper. That alley access will be key for future access points to redevelopment projects facing Jasper Ave.
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Nov 25, 2016, 4:55 PM

I would, at a minimum, expect a middle of the block crosswalk, which is the case for the two blocks South of here.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2016, 5:23 PM
Community Guy

^bingo. Still very early days.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2016, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
^bingo. Still very early days.
You will need to "up" your writing style in the new job if you wish for credibility. "bingo" won't cut it.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2016, 5:07 AM

Do we need 107st between Jasper and 102? I'd love to see a traffic count I bet it's ridiculously under used.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2016, 6:34 PM
Community Guy

It is a bus route though and we are building for the future, but everything is a possibility at the moment.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2016, 4:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itom 987 View Post
Make sure there is a playground.
and plenty of night lighting and police presence because big urban parks can be a magnet for the homeless, drug dealers and muggers.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton