HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

View Poll Results: Which Religion are you?
Hindu 4 2.13%
Buddhist 2 1.06%
Christian 58 30.85%
Jewish 2 1.06%
Muslim 2 1.06%
None 114 60.64%
Other 6 3.19%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 6:45 PM

Religion in Canada

Seeing as religion and issues relating to it were taking up the election thread thanks to people like myself, I decided to start a religion thread. I find it an interesting subject here in Canada.

I've also included a poll which is optional and anonymous.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 7:02 PM

I wasn't sure what to vote, as I was baptised as a Christian, but don't practice it, and don't believe in a lot of it. I believe that Christ existed in some form so technically I should be a Christian, but voted none as I'm not a believer in religion in general.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 7:09 PM
Majestic

Pretty straightforward for myself. Atheist. Philosophically, I align myself most with secular humanism.

Grew in a split Catholic/United Church household. Went to Catholic schools. Never baptized.

Flickr

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 7:18 PM

Pretty much my entire family is non-religious. I don't think anyone in the family is staunchly atheist or anything, but no one thinks about it.

As for me, I'd consider myself an antitheist (I'm a big fan of Christopher Hitchens). Religion is the most destructive thing ever invented by humanity. I'm against Islam, just as I am against Christianity, Judaism, Sikhism, etc. I don't believe in religious accommodation of any sort. It's irritating when Islamophobia is mistaken for racism. Religion is not the same as race. I have a problem with the religion itself, not the people.

I guess some of my views could be considered agnostic.
The whole omnipotent God that watches your every move thing as advocated by most religions is ridiculous. However, the possibility that our universe is merely a simulation can't exactly be ruled out. I guess technically the creator(s) of that simulation would be "God".

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrastinational View Post
The whole omnipotent God that watches your every move thing as advocated by most religions is ridiculous. However, the possibility that our universe is merely a simulation can't exactly be ruled out. I guess technically the creator(s) of that simulation would be "God".
That's my view as well. Agnostic, plain and simple.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 7:43 PM

I'm the opposite. I don't have any issue with the religion itself, to me it's just a belief system of some kind. Yeah, there's no solid proof of any of it being real, but people can believe what they want to as long as it doesn't affect me.

I do have an issue with many of the people who are religious. Especially when they do things in the name of religion, which we see so often. I also don't like the way I'm judged sometimes for not being religious. That's a people thing rather than religion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrastinational View Post
Pretty much my entire family is non-religious. I don't think anyone in the family is staunchly atheist or anything, but no one thinks about it.

As for me, I'd consider myself an antitheist (I'm a big fan of Christopher Hitchens). Religion is the most destructive thing ever invented by humanity. I'm against Islam, just as I am against Christianity, Judaism, Sikhism, etc. I don't believe in religious accommodation of any sort. It's irritating when Islamophobia is mistaken for racism. Religion is not the same as race. I have a problem with the religion itself, not the people.

I guess some of my views could be considered agnostic.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdog View Post
Especially when they do things in the name of religion, which we see so often.
People couldn't do things in the name of religion if religion did not exist.

It's hard to fully separate the two when they are that intertwined.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 8:04 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdog View Post
I'm the opposite. I don't have any issue with the religion itself, to me it's just a belief system of some kind. Yeah, there's no solid proof of any of it being real, but people can believe what they want to as long as it doesn't affect me.

I do have an issue with many of the people who are religious. Especially when they do things in the name of religion, which we see so often. I also don't like the way I'm judged sometimes for not being religious. That's a people thing rather than religion.
I'm not religious myself and if anything, mostly ambivalent about it. Agreed, it's a system of belief and you have to take it for what it is.

My primary beef with religion is the situation where you can't really oppose any ideas of those religions without somehow looking like a bigot.

When discussing religion with a true believer, there's always the unwinnable argument that they are right (because it's a belief) and you are wrong and maybe even inferior by not believing. They don't come right out and say that you're wrong, only that they and their beliefs are right...it's the right way to be.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 8:18 PM

I'm Catholic and always have been, though I'm not highly active in the church aside from going to church on Sunday. As an unmarried adult I don't think the church responds to my needs very well, as it focuses heavily on families and the elderly - great if you're a kid or teenager, or married, or have kids, or are a senior with money to donate to the church upon death. My demographic is often an afterthought and I've thought on and off about leaving. Not because of belief or lack thereof in the so-called sky fairy, but because it's almost irrelevant to me, and the church caters to those with money.

That said, it doesn't seem as bad in Toronto as it did in other cities I've lived in. There seems to be some strategy to reach out to young adults here, while the efforts in other cities I've lived in have been laughable. Which is ironic given that London and Kingston have some of the highest non-religious populations by percentage in Eastern Canada.

Last edited by manny_santos; Oct 7, 2015 at 10:55 PM.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 8:19 PM

Agnostic for me.

Canada would be European, as opposed to American, in that the places where religion plays a major part in people's lives are probably urban, as opposed to rural. These would be immigrant enclaves in most of our major cities.

The only rural areas I've been to in Canada where people seemed deeply religious was in southern Alberta and some communities in the southern interior of BC.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 8:32 PM

I'm an apatheist.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
Agnostic for me.

Canada would be European, as opposed to American, in that the places where religion plays a major part in people's lives are probably urban, as opposed to rural. These would be immigrant enclaves in most of our major cities.

The only rural areas I've been to in Canada where people seemed deeply religious was in southern Alberta and some communities in the southern interior of BC.
I'd say it's the other way around in Ontario, at least outside the GTA. While cities like London and Kingston have low church attendance and higher than average rates of no religion, rural parts of Southwestern and Eastern Ontario are heavily religious (Catholic, Mennonite, Amish, evangelical protestant, etc). And they tend to be the most conservative. However at least in the Catholic church, the urban part of the GTA is the only part of Ontario seeing growth in recent years (possibly due to immigration), while churches have been closing in cities as large as London.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 8:40 PM

I'm a Muslim of Turkish descent. Raised in Canada for almost all of my life, so my take on religion is a bit different than most Muslims. I'm not a 'practising' Muslim nor is my Muslim wife who is Lebanese. We celebrate Eid , but we also celebrate Christmas (Christmas tree and the whole 9 yards) We generally eat Halal, but not always and we don't fast during Ramadan. We are somewhere in the middle We have decided to be humans first, and Muslims second.

I have mixed feelings about religion in general. I'm proud of my Turkish roots and believe in many aspects of my religion, but it can also be frustrating. I come into contact with muslims who are very religious and I don't see eye to eye with them at all. Some of them have contempt for the western world, and I also come across westerners that have contempt for the Muslim world. This is hard for me because I'm in both worlds so to speak.

If it was up to me, I would like to see religion remain but be toned down.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
I'd say it's the other way around in Ontario, at least outside the GTA. While cities like London and Kingston have low church attendance and higher than average rates of no religion, rural parts of Southwestern and Eastern Ontario are heavily religious (Catholic, Mennonite, Amish, evangelical protestant, etc). And they tend to be the most conservative. However at least in the Catholic church, the urban part of the GTA is the only part of Ontario seeing growth in recent years (possibly due to immigration), while churches have been closing in cities as large as London.
The Evangelicals seem to be growing particularly well down this way, judging by the large new churches that have been going up in the periphery of K-C-W. And they seem to hold particular appeal for young, suburban families, as opposed to the declining ranks of the elderly found in most mainstream Protestant congregations.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 8:45 PM

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarsus View Post
I'm a Muslim of Turkish descent. Raised in Canada for almost all of my life, so my take on religion is a bit different than most Muslims. I'm not a 'practising' Muslim nor is my Muslim wife who is Lebanese. We celebrate Eid , but we also celebrate Christmas (Christmas tree and the whole 9 yards) We generally eat Halal, but not always and we don't fast during Ramadan. We are somewhere in the middle we have pledged to be humans first, and Muslims second.

I have mixed feelings about religion in general. I'm proud of my Turkish roots and believe in many aspects of my religion, but it can also be frustrating. I come into contact with muslims who are very religious and I don't see eye to eye with them at all. Some of them have contempt for the western world, and I also come across westerners that have contempt for the Muslim world. This is hard for me because I'm in both worlds so to speak.

If it was up to me, I would like to see religion remain but be toned down.
I suspect that secular and quasi-religious Muslims make up a significant percentage of Canada's Muslim population, but they don't get much attention, since they "fit in" to the broader community. They seem to be overshadowed in the popular mind by religious Muslims, particularly the minority with sometimes extreme views. At least that has been my impression.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 8:48 PM

Oh and I almost forgot to comment on the Niqab issue which is what brought me to this thread in the first place!

Even as a Muslim I don't like the Niqab, I'm not even a big fan of the Hijab, but I don't think the government should be dictating when and where people can wear it. If they dictate that, will the Hijab be next? And what comes after that? It's a slippery slope. One of the things I like about western culture is that people are free to do what they want. My wife doesn't wear a Hijab because it's her choice. If she was still in Lebanon she would have to wear one, but this is Canada. By banning it, we would be just like those middle eastern countries that force people to wear them.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarsus View Post
Oh and I almost forgot to comment on the Niqab issue which is what brought me to this thread in the first place!

Even as a Muslim I don't like the Niqab, I'm not even a big fan of the Hijab, but I don't think the government should be dictating when and where people can wear it. If they dictate that, will the Hijab be next? And what comes after that? It's a slippery slope. One of the things I like about western culture is that people are free to do what they want. My wife doesn't wear a Hijab because it's her choice. If she was still in Lebanon she would have to wear one, but this is Canada. By banning it, we would be just like those middle eastern countries that force people to wear them.
I agree with you, but I doubt that the hijab would ever be in danger - too many other religions have faith-based head wear, including among Christians. Although anything is possible, especially when "the other" becomes the target of the majority.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I suspect that secular and quasi-religious Muslims make up a significant percentage of Canada's Muslim population, but they don't get much attention, since they "fit in" to the broader community. They seem to be overshadowed in the popular mind by religious Muslims, particularly the minority with sometimes extreme views. At least that has been my impression.
Your impression is dead on. Take my city of Calgary for example, there is a pretty significant Muslim population here (around 60K), but many of them aren't very religious. Look at the numbers of the Muslim community, and compare to the number of Muslims that go to prayer, even on Fridays. I don't have stats, but I bet the number that go to prayer on Fridays is less than 20% maybe less than 10%

Most Muslims I know follow some or part of the religion. All of them celebrate Eid, most eat Halal, about half fast during Ramadan (most say they do, but many don't), a smaller number pray routinely, and an even smaller number actually go to Mosque, which is what I would call a practising Muslim

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
I grew up in Central Ontario and know the rural areas quite well. I wouldn't say that any place is deeply religious. Yes, there are deeply religious people and many of them belong to the emerging Evangelical churches that kwoldtimer mentions. Still, I don't see religion playing a major role in these communities as a whole. It certainly doesn't affect political decisions at any level of government the way it does in large parts of the US.

This is just a guess, but I would say that in rural Peterborough and Victoria counties (now Kawartha Lakes), maybe 10-15% of the people could be said to be deeply religious. I think this number is probably similar, and maybe even smaller, to the number of professed atheists.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada