HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 7:00 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Take it for what it's worth, but I heard May/June groundbreaking. Keeps getting pushed back. I hope it sticks this time.

I still think there's some merit to the idea that they are waiting for the Waller Creek project to be further along and to allow the Austin market to catch up.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by East7thStreet View Post
Hey Mr Manchester Jr.... if you are reading this can you please not scale back the project? And can you include more ground level retail? Thanks!
A more reasonable request... I'd like for it to interact with the street. I hate that about most projects being built with no street interaction, like the Monarch, or Spring.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 7:46 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Very interesting/promising post on shaggy just now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy-Z
I am getting bid invitations on it(fairmont) as we speak..write..whatever.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 7:48 PM

Sounds like the San Diego Reader, the weekly alternative newspaper there, enjoys sticking it to the Manchester family. Manchester recently purchased the faltering San Diego Union Tribune, the local daily. The article below discusses Manchester and his activities.

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2012/12...tribune/191710

Old Posted Feb 21, 2014, 9:27 PM

I think they are too waiting for the Waller Creek Tunnel to get done too. Also they may be waiting of FEMA or someone to determine flood status. That could determine types of construction on the ground floor or insurance premiums to build and such. Maybe looking to get a LOMAR in place first or started but can't due to the uncompleted tunnel? currently the property is nearly completely in the 500yr floodplain and the corner is in the 100yr. So those issues could play into their delays as they could impact construction costs depending how they have to start the building.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2014, 5:27 AM

It looked like they were moving the utility poles on the north end of the lot today. Maybe just maybe.......

Old Posted Feb 24, 2014, 3:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
Sounds like the San Diego Reader, the weekly alternative newspaper there, enjoys sticking it to the Manchester family. Manchester recently purchased the faltering San Diego Union Tribune, the local daily. The article below discusses Manchester and his activities.

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2012/12...tribune/191710
I would say, 'Nevermind the politics of the family, neither political party is any good. A person is only fooling themselves if they believe otherwise.' In terms of doing business with the family, they're very difficult to work with, tend to be rather pretentious and rude. I've dealt with them over the years and don't miss dealing with them.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2014, 7:17 AM

If I'm not mistaken, they had plans to build a tower in Victory Park years back.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2014, 5:51 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
If I'm not mistaken, they had plans to build a tower in Victory Park years back.
If you are referring to the cancelled 43-story, 650-foot, Victory Tower (i.e., Mandarin Oriental Hotel & Residences)...I believe that was Hillwood Development Company's project.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2014, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
If you are referring to the cancelled 43-story, 650-foot, Victory Tower (i.e., Mandarin Oriental Hotel & Residences)...I believe that was Hillwood Development Company's project.
Thanks GoldenBoot. I kept thinking the project was by Manchester. I'm glad that wasn't the case.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2014, 5:57 PM

New month. Any news?

Old Posted Mar 1, 2014, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin1971 View Post
New month. Any news?
Nope.......too quiet

Old Posted Mar 2, 2014, 6:48 AM

I've kinda gotten over the Fairmont right now. If it gets built, great...if not, there's plenty of other significant towers being built. Plus, the JW Marriott is such a huge and beautiful building, better than most of us expected, its sort of compensates for the lack of progress on the Fairmont. So as of now, I'll go on record as saying I no longer care if this thing gets built or not.

Last edited by the Genral; Mar 2, 2014 at 7:16 AM.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2014, 9:03 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
I still really, really want this one built.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2014, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
I still really, really want this one built.
Waller Center, now the Fairmont...This part of DT is having a problem with large projects..It is obvious when viewed from I 35..

Old Posted Mar 2, 2014, 8:48 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post
Waller Center, now the Fairmont...This part of DT is having a problem with large projects..It is obvious when viewed from I 35..
Both of those projects are still in the Waller Creek 100 year floodplain, technically.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 3:56 AM

Well I think this actually might get started. The City's permit site has "Trenching and Conduit Plans for Relocation of Overhead Lines along Red River" which were approved last month and I saw some work being done on the north end of the lot. The first attachment shows Manchester Texas Financial as the developer. SPL-SP-2013-0273DS_0~001.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 4:14 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

I'm just not all that worried about this project. My confidence hasn't wavered yet. I just think there are factors we don't know about that are delaying it.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 6:38 AM

I agree. I'm nearly 100% positive they're waiting for the Waller Creek Tunnel to be either complete or near complete, especially because if you look at the most recent updates on construction it requires nightly closures of Cesar Chavez and Red River streets.

Plus, the fact that the Marriott is essentially booked solid for conferences until... What was it? 2020? shows me there's a good enough market for a foray by Fairmont.

But honestly I can't deny my wishful thinking could be clouding my judgement because I remember my first time at a Fairmont was Christmas Day in Bermuda and it was absolutely wonderful--flawless and every stay in a Fairmont hotel after that has more than exceeded my expectations, and I'd love to see the Fairmont brand in Austin.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 7:41 AM
Meh

El Nino is supposed to be starting up again, and that usually sets up rainy conditions for us. This article below says it could be a particularly strong one on the level of the one we had in 1998, and there were some floods that year. I remember us getting 10 to 12 inches of rain that fall and me having to sweep the water away from our house with it pouring down rain.

http://kxan.com/2014/03/06/here-come...-weather-woes/

Thou shall not indict

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin