HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 27, 2017, 8:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I am aware of Air Jordan and such. But thinking that people are living under a rock just because they aren't is a bit much.

There are lots more significant things that many people aren't aware of that would better qualify as living under a rock.
I'm not saying jordans is a significant thing. However it's something that has been a pretty ubiquitous brand in our culture for 30 years, whether or not you have use for it or if it's the most insignificant thing ever.

So assuming someone has lived here and have no idea what Jordans is (complete with a picture of the massive logo) then yes you are living under a rock. Or one of those old people I sometimes see around

Old Posted May 27, 2017, 12:14 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
I collect maps. Have since I was a kid. Does this impress you guys?
I collect maps too, although not actively now.

There's a certain commonality to a lot of SSP posters I find - a history of playing SimCity, an enjoyment of trivia and statistics etc.

Last edited by MonctonRad; May 27, 2017 at 3:06 PM.

Old Posted May 27, 2017, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Lining up to give your money to a store that just opened when the same products will there in a few days when there is no iineup is not something that impresses me.
As someone who prefers to avoid crowds when possible, I've always been puzzled by line-ups for things not involving scarcity. It seems like a vivid reminder of the power of consumerism. Unless they were offering shoes at marked down prices or something like that.

Old Posted May 27, 2017, 6:27 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Who's mocking? But it's not really worthy of admiration either.

I collect maps. Have since I was a kid. Does this impress you guys?
not you. (if that's who you thinking I was referencing)

Old Posted May 27, 2017, 6:34 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
As someone who prefers to avoid crowds when possible, I've always been puzzled by line-ups for things not involving scarcity. It seems like a vivid reminder of the power of consumerism. Unless they were offering shoes at marked down prices or something like that.
Most people lining up are lining up because it's the thing to do. It doesn't matter to them standing or sitting while on social media 12 hours a day. Some will be avid collectors. There are limited runs that sell quick with these shoes. They may have rare ones on display too exclusive to the opening.

Old Posted May 28, 2017, 2:14 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

The last time I wore anything with an ostentatious brand name was probably a Roots sweat-shirt in the late 80s.

I did not do it very consciously but when I stopped wearing brand names on my body it coincided with travelling internationally. Wearing a name like Roots identifies you as a Canadian or a foreigner and many others will get you mistaken for an American.

Old Posted May 28, 2017, 5:25 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
This specialty Nike brand has been around since the 80s. How could you have avoided it so long?
It took a great deal of effort. As a youngster I was a sponge absorbing anything and everything. After university my filter grew much thicker. I'm still fascinated by many things in the world but bored to tears by a lot too. I've cut out what doesn't interest me. I'm oblivious to 99% of the tv that's been made in the last 20 years. I've always done my own thing; even if it wasn't conventional, popular, accepted.

Now that someone has mentioned sneakers I vaguely remember something called a Jordan but wouldn't have made the connection unless someone made it for me. I do like some brands but they tend to be less mainsteam like Reigning Champ, Moncler, or Diesel. Even there, I won't buy anything with a visible label on it. Tacky. That said, I'd also wear something that cost $5 if I liked it.

Mass market brands like Nike? My only interest in it would be from a corporate pov. Their products don't interest me one iota.

Old Posted May 28, 2017, 5:38 AM

Seems weird. Do you like things becuase you like them or because they aren't mass market brands? If Jordan's weren't "mainstream" would you like it then? Lmao. It's like those ppl who love independent shops but if those businesses become successful and expand they stop supporting them because they are now chains and mainstream. It's painful.

Old Posted May 28, 2017, 8:24 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
Seems weird. Do you like things becuase you like them or because they aren't mass market brands? If Jordan's weren't "mainstream" would you like it then? Lmao. It's like those ppl who love independent shops but if those businesses become successful and expand they stop supporting them because they are now chains and mainstream. It's painful.
It's the old "I love this indie band that nobody has ever heard of and you've got to hear them!"

Flash forward 5 years and everybody loves them and now.. do you hate them because they're popular or did you love them for the right reason - because they're great - or was it simply because they were unknown and you wanted to pass yourself off as some sort of cutting edge, tastemaker (god I hate that word/concept), douchebag?

I generally shy away from anything with visible labels - they should pay me for advertising their brand, not the other way around. That said, I like Columbia products, I've never had a bad experience, and they're not shy about 'putting their name out there'. It does bother me a bit but I like their stuff (slave made in Asia - that's another issue but I would either have to become a nudist or make 20 times what I do in order to avoid that ethical dilemma).

I buy my tees at Mark's (l'Équiper) because they're plain and good quality. I bought a Kanuk winter coat because they're the best, made down the street from me, and not Canada Douche (goose) with their goofy patch and people wearing them well after they should should have been put away simply because they have to be 'seen' as long as possible. Classic case of "Look how much I paid!"

Lining up for something today that you can easily get tomorrow, brand mania- is a sickness. Things have such little, lasting value any more that people will do anything to squeeze that 'extra day of cool' out of them. The built-in rendundancy ensures that no one will care about their 'cool' shoe, phone, pants, etc. a month from now and the relentless marketing machines will ensure that there's always something lineup worthy for the dimwits in society get back in line for.

Old Posted May 28, 2017, 11:44 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
It's one thing to shun businesses you once liked simply because they've gotten bigger and become chains, but in many cases when a place goes "big" it entails major changes to the product and service offerings. Often not for the better.

In such cases it's totally legitimate for older clients to pine for the good old days and look elsewhere.

Preserving that "small is beautiful" magic is actually one of the biggest challenges of a growing business, is it not?

Old Posted May 28, 2017, 2:35 PM

Independent or chain, I've long chafed at the idea that my clothing choices could turn me into an unpaid walking advertisement for some "lifestyle" brand, although I'm not a purist about it. In the case of athletic footwear, it would be hard to avoid brand logos, although my only considerations in addition to colour would be whether a wide fit is available and whether it offers good arch support (something that many of you flip-flop and flat sneaker wearing youngsters will learn about in years to come...)!

Old Posted May 28, 2017, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Now that someone has mentioned sneakers I vaguely remember something called a Jordan but wouldn't have made the connection unless someone made it for me. I do like some brands but they tend to be less mainsteam like Reigning Champ, Moncler, or Diesel. Even there, I won't buy anything with a visible label on it. Tacky. That said, I'd also wear something that cost $5 if I liked it.
How would you know about labels like Reigning Champ and Moncler and not have heard of Jordans?

That's like knowing about Beau's Kissmeyer Nordic Pale Ale and Driftwood Fat Tug IPA but having never heard of Budweiser. Or, on a skyscraper page, knowing about Malmo's Turning Torso and Telus Sky but not the Empire State Building.

Something doesn't fit.

Old Posted May 28, 2017, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
It took a great deal of effort. As a youngster I was a sponge absorbing anything and everything. After university my filter grew much thicker. I'm still fascinated by many things in the world but bored to tears by a lot too. I've cut out what doesn't interest me. I'm oblivious to 99% of the tv that's been made in the last 20 years. I've always done my own thing; even if it wasn't conventional, popular, accepted.

Mass market brands like Nike? My only interest in it would be from a corporate pov. Their products don't interest me one iota.
Diesel is a great company, 80% of my wardrobe is Diesel, mainly because the quality is so good.

Old Posted May 29, 2017, 6:05 PM

^^yeah diesel is not too bad. But it's kind of funny for someone to look down on people liking Jordan when they shop at places like Montcler where they sell 300 dollar plus t-shirts lmao

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 5:39 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
How would you know about labels like Reigning Champ and Moncler and not have heard of Jordans?

That's like knowing about Beau's Kissmeyer Nordic Pale Ale and Driftwood Fat Tug IPA but having never heard of Budweiser. Or, on a skyscraper page, knowing about Malmo's Turning Torso and Telus Sky but not the Empire State Building.

Something doesn't fit.
Could be the pretentious c*nt factor: "Too common", "Not expensive enough", "Would not want to be seen in public without a 'proper' bag" etc.

Must keep up appearances!

I truly think that there are people who sorely regret that they can't just leave the price tags on everything they own.

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 5:50 AM
BANNED

Quote:
^^yeah diesel is not too bad. But it's kind of funny for someone to look down on people liking Jordan when they shop at places like Montcler where they sell 300 dollar plus t-shirts lmao
They're the type who are simply DYING to tell you that they're wearing a Montcler. They'll work it into the conversation somewhere!

I'd really like to find out why a Montcler is worth 20 times as much as one of my Mark's tees.

Must be one fucking hell of a tee! (maybe it makes you tea?)

Old Posted May 31, 2017, 11:17 PM
gettin' rich!

Hard rock totally shut down now. Interior being gutted.

LED installation continues..

Old Posted May 31, 2017, 11:48 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTowner View Post
They're the type who are simply DYING to tell you that they're wearing a Montcler. They'll work it into the conversation somewhere!

I'd really like to find out why a Montcler is worth 20 times as much as one of my Mark's tees.

Must be one fucking hell of a tee! (maybe it makes you tea?)
Has a much more modern tailoring than Marks. The fabric is a little nicer. You can still hire a tailor to produce a bespoke t-shirt of outstanding cotton fabric for a fraction of an off the shelf Montcler.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2017, 1:38 AM

Can I just say it's "MONCLER".

jeez

I get the label thing though. A lot of people are plastered with high end (luxury) crap for its own sake with little thought to personal "style". Which is only slightly better than someone saying "I dress for comfort" as some weird badge of honor.

Last edited by Gerrard; Jun 1, 2017 at 1:50 AM.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2017, 5:52 PM
I am the law!

At the same time, polo shirts with the super sized crest overflowed the discount bins at Zellers once the season ended. It's just some people past the age of 25. No need to feel all high and mighty because you aren't one to plaster yourself with logos. You are far from being original.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada