HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Mar 25, 2017, 11:03 PM

^This is happening. Just a fact.

Sooo many butt hurt individuals. Awww.

Last edited by Black Star; Mar 26, 2017 at 1:31 AM.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2017, 11:58 PM

All I'll say is this - I consider myself liberal but I abhor identity politics and out-of-hand political correctness. But I certainly won't vote for populist wingnuts like O'Leary or Kenney in reaction to all that, which I think is why Brexit and Trump succeeded.

I'm all for inclusiveness, equal opportunities for everyone, equal rights for all, equal pay for women, gay marriage, reconciliation with first nations, anti-racist, anti-Islamaphobic and all that. What I don't like is being told I'm a bad person for being a privileged white male. Listen, had fate dealt me one wrong card, I could just as well have ended up living in a small-town trailer park, pumping gas for a living and selling meth on the side because I have to shell out child support to the toothless crack whores I've humped - how privileged is that?? No, I worked my ass off to get to where I am now and it wasn't easy. So that's why I don't believe that people are owed a living just for being in a so-called under-privileged group - get rid of the barriers to success but nobody should get any mulligans.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2017, 1:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
All I'll say is this - I consider myself liberal but I abhor identity politics and out-of-hand political correctness. But I certainly won't vote for populist wingnuts like O'Leary or Kenney in reaction to all that, which I think is why Brexit and Trump succeeded.

I'm all for inclusiveness, equal opportunities for everyone, equal rights for all, equal pay for women, gay marriage, reconciliation with first nations, anti-racist, anti-Islamaphobic and all that. What I don't like is being told I'm a bad person for being a privileged white male. Listen, had fate dealt me one wrong card, I could just as well have ended up living in a small-town trailer park, pumping gas for a living and selling meth on the side because I have to shell out child support to the toothless crack whores I've humped - how privileged is that?? No, I worked my ass off to get to where I am now and it wasn't easy. So that's why I don't believe that people are owed a living just for being in a so-called under-privileged group - get rid of the barriers to success but nobody should get any mulligans.

100% agree.

Im conservative and a Liberal. Both parties and Ideologies have pros and Cons. Hell...Ive even voted NDP...Gasp! I look for the Leader and the message.

Ive voted Liberal in the past. Federally!

I didn't grow up in a country that made it illegal to question the government and religion, I grew up in a country that was proud of questioning government and religion! and oddly, that movement used to be lead by Liberals! Liberals today are not LIBERAL! they are ideological Tyrants!

Last edited by Black Star; Mar 26, 2017 at 5:53 AM.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2017, 7:13 AM

A new wave is coming. We will get our info directly from the source. We don't need opinion columnist feeding us crap anymore. Hello National Post!

If they had any courage they would get into politics and not just sit on the side lines and cheer or criticize.

Their opinions are no where near correct.

And here we are, stuck with Potato Head Trudeau, who gives billions to foreign countries to make their lives better. And what has he done for us? Higher taxes and job killing carbon taxes. But I guess it isn't all bad, he's always available for selfies and hugs.

The people who voted for this guy lol.

He is not equipt to be anything in government. At all!

Not a leader....a leader lmao, not nothing.

What a dam disaster for Canada.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 6:03 PM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

After that long crazy aside, can we please get back on discussion. What are your biggest issues this election and do you have any idea who you are supporting? At this juncture I'm fairly well certain barring any last-minute bids Don Iveson will get my vote again for mayor. And as for my Councillor? Not Caterina, that's for damn sure... Talk about a low-profile do-nothing politician...

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 8:33 PM
I smash you

I think this will be a very quiet municipal election.
The groups making a big push last cycle have (largely) got the Council they were looking for.

Iveson is politically astute and has avoided any significant f'ups so he should be able to coast into a 2nd.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 9:32 PM

Incumbents are generally safe unless someone else comes along that really wows people, or if voters are too angry with the current administration. There may be some ongoing anger due to the ongoing infrastructure debacles (Metro LRT, Walterdale Bridge, infill), but so far there's nobody credible enough to knock off the majority of the incumbents.

http://daveberta.ca/edmonton-election/

Mayor - is Iveson's to lose

Ward 4 might heat up because there's no indication if Gibbons will run again.

Ward 6 - McKeen is popular enough that he won't have to run against 24 other people.

Ward 7 - I'll take Caterina over that nutjob Mimi Williams.

Ward 9 - will be the only one that will matter because someone new will replace the retiring Bryan Anderson.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 1:46 AM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead2 View Post
After that long crazy aside, can we please get back on discussion. What are your biggest issues this election and do you have any idea who you are supporting? At this juncture I'm fairly well certain barring any last-minute bids Don Iveson will get my vote again for mayor. And as for my Councillor? Not Caterina, that's for damn sure... Talk about a low-profile do-nothing politician...
While no longer in the ward 7 riding (but still owning property there) I will be actively campaining for Kris Andreychuk. Tony has dissapointed on so many levels, time for some proper representation

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 5:36 PM

Old Posted Feb 10, 2024, 4:55 AM

https://globalnews.ca/news/10284646/...trike-lockout/

Better batten down the hatches -- this could be a long one, neither side seems willing to budge.

Personally, I find the City's offer of 7.25% over five years rather paltry. I was in Vancouver not long ago when the transit union went on strike after rejecting an offer of 13% over three years -- they wanted 25%!

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 5:38 PM
Community Guy

Adam Laughlin, P.Eng., ICD.D
(He/Him) • 1st(He/Him
Construction Manager at PCL ConstructionConstruction Manager at PCL Construction

Early in February, I decided to step away from the City of Edmonton after 18 years. I am extremely grateful for my time there and for having worked with so many great people over the years. It has been a wonderful experience helping to build a great City for Edmontonians.

After some time away and a lot of reflection, I’m happy to share that I’m starting a new chapter in my career with a move back to the private sector, joining the PCL Construction family as a Construction Manager in the Edmonton Buildings and Civil District. I am grateful to the PCL team for the warm welcome and excited to work for a company that is focused on being a construction leader, employer of choice and an active leader in the community.
#MyPCLJourney

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 5, 2024, 10:27 PM

An interesting - and pretty accurate - take on the responsibilties and relationship between the City Manager and City Council.

https://urbanaffairs.ca/frankly/thou...ine-own-image/

Not counting the current and previous interim holders of the office, whoever is hired will be the City's 5th General Manager in the last 15 years. That is not a recipe for stability or progress...

Old Posted Apr 5, 2024, 10:33 PM
Community Guy

Michael is bang on with this one.

I wonder if we will see him back at City Hall.

Last edited by Coldrsx; Apr 5, 2024 at 11:13 PM.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2024, 12:45 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
An interesting - and pretty accurate - take on the responsibilties and relationship between the City Manager and City Council.

https://urbanaffairs.ca/frankly/thou...ine-own-image/

Not counting the current and previous interim holders of the office, whoever is hired will be the City's 5th General Manager in the last 15 years. That is not a recipe for stability or progress...
I'm going to say that I am a bit confused as to what the article is saying. The facts I get are:

1) manager identified (Courbold)
2) a council identified (Iveson)
3) there were some accusations on X (too much of a stooge, for example)

The rest is unfleshed metaphor and accusation. I got nothing out of it.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 9:39 PM
Community Guy

Ouch.
---

City releases proposed spring operating budget adjustments
April 11, 2024

The City released its spring operating budget adjustment report today, recommending an 8.7 per cent tax increase for 2024 in order to respond to several increasing cost pressures and continue to provide the services outlined in the 2023-2026 budget. This is an additional 2.1 per cent increase than what was approved in November 2023.

“Since Council last discussed the 2024 budget last fall, we have encountered higher WCB premiums and we have a better understanding of longer term labour costs,” said Stacey Padbury, the City’s Chief Financial Officer and Deputy City Manager of Financial and Corporate Services. “In order to keep our financial status strong and maintain services we need to fund these pressures through increased property taxes."

The recommended budget adjustments will allow the City to maintain funding for its 70 services, including the attractions, emergency services, parks, roads, trails, bridges, recreation centres, social supports and transit that Edmontonians use every day. It will also allow the City to deliver on the service increases that City Council approved for 2024, including:

Operating the new Metro Line LRT to the new NAIT Station
Adding more bus service hours to improve public transit access and align to service standards
Expanding library service at Heritage Valley
Advancing the work on Edmonton's Anti-Racism Strategy and Truth and Reconciliation

The City’s at a financial crossroads
Just like all Edmontonians, the City is still recovering from the lasting economic effects of the pandemic. For the City and other municipalities, this means increasing demands for service as well as higher costs coming from a prolonged period of inflation.
“We know households and businesses are experiencing higher costs than they were just a few years ago, including for utilities, fuel, insurance and employee salaries. We’re feeling those same pressures at the City,” said Padbury. “During the pandemic, the City kept tax increases below inflation to support Edmontonians, but now we need to catch up with rising costs. We’ve reached a point where we need to make choices between increasing taxes or reducing service levels to ensure that the City remains in its current fiscally sustainable position.”

The spring supplemental operating budget adjustment is the last step in finalizing the annual tax increase. The report is scheduled for discussion at the City Council meeting on April 23 and 24. The City will bring forward bylaws on April 30 to set the tax rates based on the approved tax increase. Tax notices will be mailed to all property owners on May 24, with property taxes due on June 30.

The recommended tax increase would mean that Edmonton households would pay about $65 more for every $100,000 of their assessed home value in 2024. This means that the average household in Edmonton would pay about $8.96 per day. The property tax increase will affect individual property owners differently, depending how their property’s assessed value compares to the market.
For more information:
Information and Fact sheet
Budget and finances
Property taxes
Financial reports

Media contact:
Melenie Reid
Communications Advisor
Financial and Corporate Services
780-686-2641

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 9:52 PM
A Better Place

Wild population growth + wild decreases in municipal funding transfers from the Province + No/minimal increases in 2020 and 2021 = wild property tax increase

No one should be surprised.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 2:06 PM
Change is good

Yup, the UCP is trying to punish areas that didn't vote for them. How third world of them.

I can't believe anyone still doesn't see right through to the massive grifting going on.

Love how UCP fans are all for the province interferring with municipalities, but when the feds manage province, its all like "feds are forcing their agenda" or other low-IQ stuff like that, but can't call the UCP out for the same? You are just an idiot (B.S)

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 3:00 PM

Yeah but 90% of the time its the far left liberal/ndp/Communist that are screwing things up so badly that Conservatives have to literally think and provide common sense for them.

Exhibit a: Advancing the work on Edmonton's Anti-Racism Strategy and Truth and Reconciliation lmao.... Bring on the Election. sohi is going to be decimated at the polls just like sparkle socks. Normal people have had enough of this Gong show.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
Yup, the UCP is trying to punish areas that didn't vote for them. How third world of them.

I can't believe anyone still doesn't see right through to the massive grifting going on.

Love how UCP fans are all for the province interferring with municipalities, but when the feds manage province, its all like "feds are forcing their agenda" or other low-IQ stuff like that, but can't call the UCP out for the same? You are just an idiot (B.S)
And on top of that Take Back Alberta is pulling Danielle's puppet strings. Scary to me is how few Albertans are aware of this group.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 3:45 PM
Change is good

Take Back Alberta is the UCP.

I'm actually surprised the UCP party isn't falling apart, with some of the more modest urban MLAs getting some good feedback from their constituency that what the UCP is pure bullshit, all meant to grift as much as possible, and turn alberta further into a plutocracy

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton