HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 8:56 PM

Toronto's resemblance to Queens NY

Demographically, Queens resembles Toronto with its large Chinese, South Asian, Caribbean and European immigrant populations (granted Queens is less white and has a much larger Latin American presence).

Toronto and Queens were also largely built up around the same time, in the early to mid 20th century.

Both only became hyper-diverse in recent decades. Toronto was a British/Irish dominated city until the postwar years. Similarly Queens lagged behind the more urban NYC boroughs. While NYC became predominantly Jewish/Italian in the early 20th century, Queens was still mostly German, Irish and "old stock" American (the Jewish/Italian mass movement into Queens was in the postwar years). Only in the 1970s did either really begin to see a truly global immigration influx.

Housing stock is fairly similar too, Queens is the borough that is most geared toward SFHs and big apartments like Toronto. Growing up the credits to All in the Family reminded me of Toronto.

Finally, Queens and Old Toronto have a similar population density.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2017, 1:31 AM

Old Posted Feb 26, 2017, 6:24 PM
The New Republic

I've always thought the same thing. Queen's is a mini Toronto while Brooklyn is an English Montreal.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2017, 3:33 AM

Queens itself varies from very urban to quite suburban as well, ranging from the booming "downtown" emerging at Long Island City to very suburban neighborhoods in eastern Queens that border Nassau County.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 10:22 PM

I LOVE Queens! I love this comparison too.

Both Queens and Toronto have around ~50% foreign-born population. Both are also considered to be some of the most culturally diverse areas in the entire world!

Old Posted May 1, 2017, 11:09 AM
The Fruit of Discipline

Scarborough and Eastern Toronto are like Queens, Western Toronto is like Brooklyn, downtown is like a mini-Manhattan and North York is like Long Island City and Mississauga is like New Jersey

Old Posted May 6, 2017, 7:36 AM

Toronto is Manhattan surrounded by Vienna, surrounded by Moscow, surrounded by L.A.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2020, 8:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
Demographically, Queens resembles Toronto with its large Chinese, South Asian, Caribbean and European immigrant populations (granted Queens is less white and has a much larger Latin American presence).

That is an understatement. Queens also has many African Americans(nonimmigrant Balcks). People always leave them out. They are not the same as Caribbean Black folks. Queens has both.

I didn't find Queens and TO to be that similar.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2020, 8:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I've always thought the same thing. Queen's is a mini Toronto while Brooklyn is an English Montreal.
LOL An English Montreal with out as many Blacks and Hispanics.....Meaning a massive chunk of the population, about half actually,lol.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2020, 9:02 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post

I didn't find Queens and TO to be that similar.
Perhaps in demographic mix they're not but Queens reminds me of Toronto more than any other place in the US. It helps that they were largely built in the same era.

Last edited by isaidso; Jan 12, 2020 at 9:38 AM.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 1:43 PM

Identities .....

Having lived in Toronto rather briefly, decades back, and having visited Montreal a number of times, I find it interesting -and rather natural - how people in Eastern Canada
relate to, and identify with, New York.

I'm from here in Vancouver, and our reference points are often Seattle and San Francisco. Personally speaking, as someone with family in both Seattle, and SF, and having visited
there a number of times from early childhood on up, the geographic closeness and the imperious effect of it, makes total sense.

O Canada, forever seeking your identity elsewhere.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2020, 4:08 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post

O Canada, forever seeking your identity elsewhere.
There's certainly a ton of that going on but it's also human nature to compare oneself to your neighbour. The more frustrating part is how many Canadians see Canada through a US lens. If you learn about Canada from watching US tv/film, CNN, and Fox you end up as ignorant of Canada as an American.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2020, 5:03 AM

Would Sudbury be a more apt comparison for Toronto than New York? To associate comparisons of Toronto to New York City with a lack of Canadian identity or something just because New York City is across the border is just astounding to me. Such obsessions with boundaries and divisions is more un-Canadian than anything. Don't bring all that nationalist shit into this thread, seriously.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2020, 12:01 AM

I find it a little lame all the Toronto NYC comparisons.. more so because of the frequency of the comparisons. ..it ends up working against Toronto more than for it.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2020, 12:29 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
Would Sudbury be a more apt comparison for Toronto than New York? To associate comparisons of Toronto to New York City with a lack of Canadian identity or something just because New York City is across the border is just astounding to me. Such obsessions with boundaries and divisions is more un-Canadian than anything. Don't bring all that nationalist shit into this thread, seriously.
Toronto is bad and everything about it is bad - SSP

More at 11.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto