HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 9:43 PM

Very good point, you have tones of options for a weekend get away which we prob would benefit from quite often:-)

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 9:50 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Both Kelowna and Nanaimo have two major new hotel towers each being planned / soon to start (the ribbon cutting ceremony has already been done for one of the projects in Nanaimo) so they both look to be good markets in the near future for the hotel / hospitality industry.

Nanaimo has mild winters with day time high temps around 7 and lows around 1, but they are very overcast and rainy. On the flip side summers are very sunny and often have drought like conditions. Afternoon temps average around 24 and lows around 13.

Kelowna is colder in the winter with grey skies, but much less precipitation. Average highs are around 1 and average lows around -6. But winter is much shorter than in much of Canada (especially compared to Winnipeg). Summer is decently long, hot, and sunny. Average daytime highs are around 30 and overnight lows around 14.

If you want to work in Kelowna, I recommend living in Penticton. It is about a 40 minute drive south of Kelowna and is a much more friendly, walkable, and beautiful location IMO. It is much smaller than Kelowna, but for me it is much more comfortable and has more character. (Penticton is more laid back while Kelowna is a little bit like Canada's Vegas, it is the party city for Western Canada.

That said, I do like Kelowna and it is improving immensely over the last few years (and they have many more good downtown plans in the works).

Overall, for your preferences and situation, I would go with Nanaimo or Kelowna via Penticton

Thank your for taking the time to answer me, appreciate it!! Regarding the new hotels opening in Nanaimo that would be a definite plus!! I'll loo into that for sure, thanks for the tip! Canada's vegas is something we are def not looking for;-) I did look into Penticton, looks nice! I don't mind living in a smaller town/city as long as it is connected with a bigger one, like in this case it is. Thank you for the tip!!

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 7:30 AM

Niagara Falls is more like Canada's Vegas.

Anyways, as awesome as Edmonton/St. Albert can be, like others said, if you found Winnipeg difficult to contend with in the winter, then this city may not be best for you. The summers are excellent here as the city really comes alive and it is usually not too hot but still warm enough to enjoy summer activities (think 18°C - 28°C). St. Albert has its charms as a bedroom community if you like being close but not right in the action. It has a nice, albeit small, downtown with what I'm pretty sure is the largest summer farmers market in Metro Edmonton.

Calgary might be a good middle ground for you if you'd really like to give Alberta a try. It's a growing, dynamic city like Edmonton is, and while it does get cold there in the winter, there are regular breaks from it in the form of chinook winds that come from the Pacific Ocean. This can have the effect of a difference between -15 and +15 in the span of 24 hours and is a great break from winter. Summers, like in Edmonton, are mild but not usually hot and the city also becomes quite vibrant during the warmer months. Plus note is that the mountains are less than an hour away and the western suburbs of the city are basically in the foothills while the eastern suburbs are firmly in the prairie.

Of the BC options, I second (or third?) the Penticton idea if you want to try out the Okanagan region. Close to Kelowna's amenities but in a much nicer city. Nelson and Vernon are also options if you don't mind towns (though it seems you prefer cities). Nanaimo and Victoria are both good options too, though Nanaimo is a bit cheaper if I recall correctly and you have Vancouver on your doorstep (or a short ferry ride away).

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbje86 View Post
How are the winters in Kelowna? Thank you for your help, appreciate it!
In terms of temperature, I have never worn more than a fleece in my 5+ years here.
In terms of snowfall accumulation it depends on where you live. Lower down closer to the lake I have never seen any noticeable accumulation. It is usually rain or sleet and any snow that does fall on the ground melts away by the afternoon. Where I live, higher up, I do have a bit of snow that stays around. Average of 2 feet high windrows over the dreaded months. With that said, the snow is all but gone by late Feb to early Mar.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
I used to love Kelowna as a teenager. For me and other small town Albertans, it was like California with its hot weather, beaches and buxom blondes!

But now, decades later, I dislike Kelowna for the most part. Sure it has nicer weather, the lake, the beaches and the wineries. But there are many things that put me off.
It's a massive tourist trap.
Apart from its small sliver of downtown, it is unwalkable.
It's more like a really huge town instead of a city despite the population.
Traffic is horrid.
Poorly planned sprawl (especially West Kelowna).
Cost of living is ridiculous.
I still find it a bit too redneck.
Even though it gets sold as a wine lover/foodie's paradise, I see nothing but the usual chains (Earls, Cactus Club etc).
Worst of all, Bedrock City closed about 15 years ago!

For me, it's like that old saying: nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there.
This is a typical response from a tourist that stays for a weekend and doesn't really know the city well.

The population seems to double over the summer that much is true.

The walkability of Kelowna is no different from other big cities like Edmonton and Calgary. Downtown has been redone and is great. Park the car and walk along Bernard Avenue towards the water, boardwalk, and marina. Lots of great little restaurants, pubs, and shops. Start moving away from the core and of course you will need transportation.

Traffic on the main highway (Harvey Avenue/highway 97) is brutal. Lined with big box stores and chain restaurants. Just like Calgary Trail/Gateway Blvd in Edmonton and Macleod Trail in Calgary. There are other options (if you know the city well enough). Clement, Enterprise, and Springfield all run parallel. Know the city and you can navigate it more efficiently - just like when I'm in Edmonton and Calgary.

Sprawl is evident in the suburbs. No different from any other city in Canada.

Everything is more expensive here due to the PST. As is gasoline which is typically 10 cents more per litre than in Alberta. Housing is less than Calgary and Edmonton but it is getting up there.

It can be very redneckish out here. Idiots in the monster trucks with the diesel engines and 4" exhaust wanting attention. And the fools on the bikers snapping their right wrists at every opportune moment. No different from anywhere else really.

In terms of the restaurants - just like anywhere else, you need to read up and ask the locals. In Edmonton places like Red Ox Inn, Sabor, etc. In Calgary places like Rouge, Teatro, etc. You aren't going to find these places when you drive on the main road! Here in Kelowna we have some lovely restaurants like Raudz, Waterfront Wines, La Bouchon, Krafty Kitchen, and a lot of the wineries have decent restaurants.

Typical tourist response for the uninformed. Don't make a choice based on someone that doesn't know the city. Good luck with your decision.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2016, 4:52 AM

After reading this article and all the comments below I would like to share my experience. I moved from Toronto to Kelowna about 3 months ago and don't regret about my decision. We got a lot of help from some of our family members as well as random people, which was nice)))
To find a job was pretty easy. My husband, who is a carpenter, got multiple job offers on the 3rd day of us being there. I got a job transfer from Toronto. After a month we already bought our house. Our realtor was Alina Griva. She did such an amazing job. She actually took time to know us and find out what exactly we were looking for. She also was really knowledge about market, trends and ways how to make money on real estate. And what really impressed me, she personally delivered the keys from our house with a beautiful present.
So, if you are thinking about moving, don't hesitate. Kelowna is a great place to live and raise your family

Old Posted Oct 29, 2016, 5:37 AM

on a penny pinching note in BC you have to pay for Health Premiums and in alberta you don't, last i looked it was $92 per month if your income is $30,000 per year, I forget the end range as it keeps getting higher the more money you make, in BC

I live in a small town 60 km or so from victoria in the cowichan valley and it's cheap in comparison, victoria is ridiculous, but you can still get an ocean view home for under $300,000, 10 minutes away and the same type of home is over $600,000, so you really have to look around the island cause they are a number of cheap areas, but if you require a city perhaps not, but a lot of people commute to the city from the valley, there is a commuter bus service in the morning going south and in the afternoon going back north

and the bonus because of the location it does get some less rain than most of the west coast

Old Posted Oct 29, 2016, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbje86 View Post
Thank you for your respond! I'm so conflicted, lol! I def have to just take a few weeks to get to experience all these cities. Based on what we are looking for, I do think bc would suit us the best. But at the same time my mind still goes back to St.Albert. I've never been there though so might not like it in real life. The things I do consider a plus with Edmonton esp. is the shopping amneties,seems like lots to do, am i wrong? also lots of good fitness centers (since I'm doing fitness for a living). We are quite used to cold winters with lots of snow, I would def prefer not having that, but if it rains every day that's not good either, lol guess you can get it all!
I now live in Victoria. Great city. Nanaimo is also a nice place to live.

Another option you may want to consider is Saskatoon. It is about the same size as Victoria. Very friendly, weather is not much different (maybe a bit better) from Edmonton.

Saskatoon is far more diversified and stable economy relative to the cities in Alberta. I would chose it over Winnipeg.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2016, 9:24 PM
HVAC guru

We're going to start seriously shopping for bare land in the North Okanagan probably this summer, and build when we're ready to get out of Edmonton. With the highway to Kelowna now twinned and the airport less than a half hour away it's quiet yet convenient to everything and a short jaunt to Vancouver

Old Posted Oct 29, 2016, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
I now live in Victoria. Great city. Nanaimo is also a nice place to live.
I love Victoria, I've considered moving there. It definitely has a better downtown than Edmonton, that's for sure. Main thing though is that its pricey. Just getting to and from the island has become expensive, especially if you want to pop over to Vancouver for a hockey game or concert.

I would love to live in Vancouver, but unless I win the lottery, trying to find a decent and affordable condo in the Lower Mainland is almost hopeless. One has to start looking in Abbotsford or Chilliwack to find anything that is not ridiculously overpriced. Maybe the new foreign homeowner tax will help, or maybe not - just waiting and seeing what happens.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton