HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

3 Eau Claire in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Calgary Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 6:15 PM

I wouldn't compare this to Gateway Midtown or Rockford's project, those other two projects had real issues and were companies in over their heads. These guys have had delays, but with permits, and changing GCs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotag277 View Post
Until the thing is built there is always a shadow. Rockford developments was building a condo on McLeod trail, it sold out, but they had to cancel since they under priced it. Midtown Towers also got to 80% sold, but ended up cancelled.

3 Eau Claire was scheduled to start building in summer, it's now November and they still haven't broken ground yet, and news from the development team has been relatively quiet.

It's a good sign that there has been recent activity at the site though. I would think will all the commercial partnerships they have it would make sense for them to go forward.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepstar View Post
I wouldn't compare this to Gateway Midtown or Rockford's project, those other two projects had real issues and were companies in over their heads. These guys have had delays, but with permits, and changing GCs.
It just seems like a very ambitious project. I've never heard of Solex Planning and can't seem to find much online. This also seems to be the first development Starnes (the company) is involved with.

I'd be pretty amazed if this went forward as designed with no changes.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 10:12 PM
I am the law!

Finding information on foreign developers from countries that do not use the Roman alphabet is difficult unless you are familiar with their alphabet.

I really don't see any need to worry unless you prefer it not being built.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Finding information on foreign developers from countries that do not use the Roman alphabet is difficult unless you are familiar with their alphabet.

I really don't see any need to worry unless you prefer it not being built.
I was simply responding to the comparison with the previous projects which also sold but didn't get built. If there is evidence the developer involved in this project is more experienced I have yet to see it.

I am more worried this project doesn't get built (as is), I think it is a very cool looking tower and would be a great addition to the skyline.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2013, 6:45 PM
Editor

To be honest, I don't know much about the developing group behind it either, but I have heard that the construction tenders were for the building you see in the renderings.

Quote:
I was simply responding to the comparison with the previous projects which also sold but didn't get built. If there is evidence the developer involved in this project is more experienced I have yet to see it.

I am more worried this project doesn't get built (as is), I think it is a very cool looking tower and would be a great addition to the skyline.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2013, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
To be honest, I don't know much about the developing group behind it either, but I have heard that the construction tenders were for the building you see in the renderings.
Good news, I really hope it goes forward as designed.

I did some digging on Solex (korean name: 솔렉스플랜닝) and it looks like they were mostly involved with low/mid rise commerical/mall development. They may have been also connected to the Galleria Palace project (http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=12403).

Generally well renowned developers will have a good web presence regardless if they are Roman alphabet or not, as it's in their best interest to advertise and get the word out about their developments.

Here are some links to some other Solex projects if you are interested:

http://economy.hankooki.com/lpage/es...6264369550.htm

http://news.mk.co.kr/newsRead.php?year=2010&no=350027

http://news.kukinews.com/article/vie...21199113&cp=nv

So not bad - but 3EC still does seem like a relatively ambitious project for them.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2013, 8:21 PM
Editor

IIRC, there were a couple of other companies (also from Korea) that are involved with this project. I'd have to go back and look into it, but even better if that's the case.

Quote:
Good news, I really hope it goes forward as designed.

I did some digging on Solex (korean name: 솔렉스플랜닝) and it looks like they were mostly involved with low/mid rise commerical/mall development. They may have been also connected to the Galleria Palace project (http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=12403).

Generally well renowned developers will have a good web presence regardless if they are Roman alphabet or not, as it's in their best interest to advertise and get the word out about their developments.

Here are some links to some other Solex projects if you are interested:

http://economy.hankooki.com/lpage/es...6264369550.htm

http://news.mk.co.kr/newsRead.php?year=2010&no=350027

http://news.kukinews.com/article/vie...21199113&cp=nv

So not bad - but 3EC still does seem like a relatively ambitious project for them.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2013, 4:56 PM

has anyone bought into this place yet? around $650 / sqft. Seems high.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2013, 5:02 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenavedon View Post
It is, but it seems to be more of the going rate these days.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2013, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenavedon View Post
The thing about 3EC is that the units are really small. The math is a bit different for small units versus larger units. I think Mark on 10th is indicative of current rates for high rises, which conveniently is currently listing 3 different types of units on MLS.

Comparing to something like Mark on 10th, which has a one bedroom 578 sqft going for $368,340, that's about $637 per sqft. The similarly sized 3EC unit actually has two bedrooms so I'd estimate it a bit higher.

A two bedroom at Mark is going for about $533,190, but that's over 966 sq ft, putting it at around $551/sqft - but this unit is nearly twice as big as the biggest 3EC unit.

I think 3EC has the right strategy for getting a condo built quickly in this market. Price units lower to make them accessible to a wider amount of people who are doing the math in the rent versus buy equation. As far as I know the smallest unit at 3EC was priced at a very reasonable $229,000 (unless it's gone up since then) - about $500/sqft - a compelling low figure for anyone who spends about $1000/month on rent.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2013, 7:16 PM
ARTchitecture

There is an excavator on site. I didn't notice if it was moving or not though.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 7:06 PM
Editor

I went past there yesterday and there didn't seem to be any action, but mind you it was friggin cold. Interesting to see if they are back at it again today.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2013, 10:07 PM
Editor

On the way home last night, I passed by to check it out, and take a pic. Definitely getting ready for some action with construction fencing and hoarding now there.

3EC by Construction Mafia, on Flickr

Old Posted Nov 25, 2013, 12:48 AM

Still not much happening but as Surrealplaces mentioned hoarding is up on all sides. Hoping to see a pile driver soon! "Eau Claire Tower" crane in background.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2013, 4:25 PM
Editor

Shouldn't be long now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Design-mind View Post
Still not much happening but as Surrealplaces mentioned hoarding is up on all sides. Hoping to see a pile driver soon! "Eau Claire Tower" crane in background.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2013, 9:00 PM

Today they scraped the surface around the edges again, I think it might be for the surveyors to mark out the pilings. I think we might see a piledriver soon.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2013, 4:43 AM

Is it still not approved? I'm surprised how much site prep is going on while the project is still considered a proposal.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2013, 7:07 AM

Perhaps there are a couple of changes!

Old Posted Dec 20, 2013, 6:24 AM

Seems like this is finally getting underway, although our unusually awful December weather seems to be slowing down the start of piling and excavation...

Old Posted Dec 20, 2013, 6:47 AM

^^ No "Chinooks" this year! ^^

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive