HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 2:52 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
What do you mean? The urbanity of Calgary isn't no different than other 90% post-war urban areas?

I don't understand what urbanity means if it has nothing to do walkability, and transit usage has nothing to do with people's ability to walk to and from transit stops. Would Calgary's downtown be no different if everyone drove and parked downtown instead of taking transit? Washington DC is one of the leaders in transit as well. Does transit really have nothing to do the development of Tyson's Corner and the future redevelopment of the parking lots there?

I don't understand why there's so much efforts to separate urbanity and high density and transit and walkability all from each other. Maybe the links between is just all in my head and not real. It just makes me realize I don't belong in this thread. Sorry for wasting everyone's time with all my stupid posts and ideas, I won't bother you guys with them again.
I think you can have different kinds of urbanity that are not as dependent on transit to develop.

eg in DC a lot of the TODs are self-contained urban villages. Most of the inhabitants actually own and use cars to get to work or go farther afield to different parts of the urban area. But many services/amenities are very close by (short drive or a walk).

Location next to transit is a massive selling point though (see: TOD proposals by the silver line) and help concentrate developments and amenities, but I am not surprised (having lived in areas like this) that ridership is relatively poor given the system size.

Dallas and Houston has clusters too but with no transit lines to channel the investments, you end up higher density pockets strewn all around the metro area.

The issue with your analysis is you seem to dismiss the fact that high density living can exist without much in the way of transit.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 4:19 AM
Houston:Considered Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
Impressive cluster but would this not be considered part of Houston proper? More of a midtown than a suburban centre. Also are there any rapid transit links between downtown Houston and this hub?
Yes, it is a part of Houston proper and there is a light rail that connects it to downtown.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 5:15 PM

One solution to a sea of parking lots…

A recently released future rendering of Vaughn Metropolitan Centre north of Toronto, which includes CG Tower now u/c at 189m/60 storeys (red). Four of the towers near the right side of the render are built or topped out with more in the earlier stages of construction such as the 4 tower (40s to 59s) Festival Condo development.

UT
CG Tower

UT

SmartCentres’ 175 Millway - 64 storey/206m residential and 21 storey office building.

UT

UT
Claude Cormier park design.

claudecormier.com

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 11:02 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

well here is tysons at full build-out

http://intysons.com/wp-content/uploa...nsBuildOut.gif

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 11:12 PM

and one of those will be the tallest in the State and the DC Metro Area.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite View Post
If the GTA had to hold off development until transit was there, nothing would get built. it's better to develop as much as possible and force politicians hands when the need for transit is obvious. The federal government is planning on billions more for transit funding in the next few years which should help get the hamilton LRT built and the relief line in Toronto. In any case Transit round the GTA have been getting continually better for a couple of decades now and I expect more in the coming decades
That sounds like a pretty big gamble to take; if the transit doesn’t materialise; you’ll end up with high-density neighbourhood islands with poor connectivity, that doesn’t sound a sensible strategy. Out of curiosity do developers in Canada not have obligations to provide support for their projects?

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
It has a 6 lane freeway, 6 lane boulevard, streetcar and 4 lane road all passing through East-West. Miami's beach front condo communities have less than half that infrastructure. And adding a stop on an existing commuter rail line isn't that much of a big deal, it definitely can be done if the need arises.
Roads aren’t terribly efficient at moving large volumes of people; it’s why we have trains. There are similarities with Miami Beach with regards to adequate transit, but in defence of Miami Beach it does have an older urban grain supporting a cohesive pedestrian experience, in some ways resembling some European towns and cities. Humber Bay by the looks of it is a slice of suburbia mixed with former industrial lands, and towers in parks. Hop across the Gardiner Expressway and there is a giant wholesale market and water treatment plant.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nito View Post
That sounds like a pretty big gamble to take; if the transit doesn’t materialise; you’ll end up with high-density neighbourhood islands with poor connectivity, that doesn’t sound a sensible strategy. Out of curiosity do developers in Canada not have obligations to provide support for their projects?

Roads aren’t terribly efficient at moving large volumes of people; it’s why we have trains. There are similarities with Miami Beach with regards to adequate transit, but in defence of Miami Beach it does have an older urban grain supporting a cohesive pedestrian experience, in some ways resembling some European towns and cities. Humber Bay by the looks of it is a slice of suburbia mixed with former industrial lands, and towers in parks. Hop across the Gardiner Expressway and there is a giant wholesale market and water treatment plant.

I don't see how it's a gamble, all areas in Toronto have good frequent bus service, if the demand increase bus service will increase, and if demand increases even more then the street becomes a target for lrt, finch and eglinton are the best examples right now, both streets have insane bus coverage, like every 5 minute and both are being upgraded to LRT. The province and federal government both plan to spend a lot in this decade on transit as well, and Toronto is ripe for more transit lines. The cities outside of Toronto are also upgrading their transit systems, most notable a new LRT for mississauga to go along with it's BRT transitway and York Region improving it's BRT system.

Last edited by Nite; Mar 5, 2021 at 5:03 PM.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 11:39 PM

Quote:
They have pretty high development charges (aka impact fees) at least compared to the US. Currently they're $33,000-$51,000 depending on the size of the condo unit. There can also be additional obligations especially as a concession when the developer requires zoning changes to be made. That's what happened in the case of the Christie Factory development at the Humber Bay Shores, it got approved in exchange for the developer paying for the cost of the new GO station.

Quote:
I was thinking mostly of North Beach, Bal Harbor, Sunny Isles Beach, Hollywood Beach, etc.

Anyways, this street is the only way out of this 7 tower community in a different part of Toronto and there's no traffic jams.
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.77783...7i16384!8i8192
Humber Bay has much more and bigger roads, so they should be able to handle a fair bit. Now - some of those roads are pretty heavily used, especially the Gardiner, but a lot of that traffic is coming from further away. It would still be preferable to have people driving shorter distances from Humber Bay than a much longer distance from new subdivisions in Milton or Oakville.

And as I said, they have streetcar + bus service, and it's a reasonably walkable area with retail in the base of many of the buildings:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.62308...7i16384!8i8192

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 3:04 AM

Drone Flight
Yonge and Eglinton - Toronto - Oct 2020

Video Link

Last edited by Nite; Mar 8, 2021 at 3:34 AM.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 3:33 AM

Drone Flight
Humber Bay - Toronto - Sept 2020

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite View Post
I don't see how it's a gamble, all areas in Toronto have good frequent bus service, if the demand increase bus service will increase, and if demand increases even more then the street becomes a target for lrt
Buses and trams are great, but they are ill suited to form the core mode of transit for high-density areas; the exception being pedestrian orientated areas. It is why countless cities across the globe have developed high-capacity and/or frequent railway systems to facilitate movement to/from such areas.

Quote:
They have pretty high development charges (aka impact fees) at least compared to the US. Currently they're $33,000-$51,000 depending on the size of the condo unit. There can also be additional obligations especially as a concession when the developer requires zoning changes to be made. That's what happened in the case of the Christie Factory development at the Humber Bay Shores, it got approved in exchange for the developer paying for the cost of the new GO station.
What happens if the developer doesn’t build the station? I was curious and couldn’t find an opening date, and it does beg the question why the station wasn’t built first noting the existing and recently completed residential developments. I just find it fascinating from an urban planning perspective.

Quote:
I was thinking mostly of North Beach, Bal Harbor, Sunny Isles Beach, Hollywood Beach, etc.
I’d agree with you on these areas as demonstrating the same problem.

Quote:
Anyways, this street is the only way out of this 7 tower community in a different part of Toronto and there's no traffic jams. https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.77783...7i16384!8i8192
This does not look like a pleasant place! Bordered by railways on two sides yet the nearest station is a 20-minute walk, and a 12-lane highway on another side. The local bus appears to be every half-hour and pedestrian access to neighbouring areas for amenities and employment is restricted to the same solitary road in and out. Graveyards look like they have more activity going on!

Quote:
Humber Bay has much more and bigger roads, so they should be able to handle a fair bit. Now - some of those roads are pretty heavily used, especially the Gardiner, but a lot of that traffic is coming from further away. It would still be preferable to have people driving shorter distances from Humber Bay than a much longer distance from new subdivisions in Milton or Oakville. And as I said, they have streetcar + bus service, and it's a reasonably walkable area with retail in the base of many of the buildings:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.62308...7i16384!8i8192
Cars have their place as a mode of transport, but they are ill suited to facilitating large volumes of people in high density environments. Even with the sheer volume of lanes, it is the unwelcoming pedestrian experience, the noise, the pollution.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 9:16 PM

Suburban Vancouver taken by me yesterday.

Part of the Victoria Hill skyline in New West looking east.

Uptown New West with Burnaby in the background.

Uptown New West in the foreground looking west with Burnaby in the back middle and downtown Vancouver on the far right.

Burnaby and Coquitlam looking north.

New West with Burnaby and Coquitlam in the background.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 4:34 AM

Quote:
Buses and trams are great, but they are ill suited to form the core mode of transit for high-density areas; the exception being pedestrian orientated areas. It is why countless cities across the globe have developed high-capacity and/or frequent railway systems to facilitate movement to/from such areas.

What happens if the developer doesn’t build the station? I was curious and couldn’t find an opening date, and it does beg the question why the station wasn’t built first noting the existing and recently completed residential developments. I just find it fascinating from an urban planning perspective.
Ultimately, what this comes down to is that Toronto is a rapidly growing metropolitan area that's playing catch up on transit infrastructure. So it's still better to build high density where there is some frequent transit infrastructure and potential for further expansion, than it is to have the housing get built in some outer suburb or even in the form of condos in a more auto-oriented area where the prospects for rapid transit expansion are more distant (ex Erin Mills, Promenade Mall, Vaughan Mills or even Yonge & Steeles or Uptown Oakville).

The transit capacity of the streetcar routes serving the area is actually pretty high. The commuter rail line passing through currently has a weekday ridership of 33,500. Meanwhile, the King Street transit corridor (streetcars/buses) was serving about 85,000 people prior to the pandemic.

During the earlier stages of the community's development, the plan was to upgrade the streetcar to higher capacity Waterfront West LRT with a dedicated ROW (2007 Transit City plan). That got put on the backburner when Rob Ford took office in 2010, since he was opposed to LRTs, and the Waterfront West LRT wasn't even among the highest priority LRT lines.

On the other hand, Metrolinx has been pushing forward with upgrading its commuter rail corridor (Lakeshore West) through there, buying up control of the corridor from the freight rail company that previously owned it, adding a third track and upgrading frequencies. So it's only been relatively recently that adding a station here has been seen as a realistic alternative to the LRT proposal.

While building a station is still much cheaper than building a new rapid transit line, it looks like they're still expecting a price tag of $60m, probably because it would begin under the Gardiner Expressway, then continue over Park Lawn Road and Mimico Creek, so building over those obstacles while minimizing disruptions to traffic and rail service is probably somewhat complicated. So that explains why Metrolinx has been kind of kicking that can down the road and why it would've been too much to ask of the developers of the 3-4 tower projects to pay for it. But for the developer of this 7500 unit + 1.2m sf commercial space development, I suppose that's a more realistic concession, especially since I think they required more significant re-zonings that the other developments.

Also I believe the train station was required as a pre-condition for the development to go ahead. The project hasn't been approved yet, so it might take another 6-7 years for the first residents to move in. The train station is still in the environmental assessment stage.

Until then, the city of Toronto converted the downtown portion of King Street into a transit mall, which lead to a significant improvement in travel times and capacity for those streetcars (this is the same route that serves Humber Bay Shores) and Toronto has also been buying higher capacity light rail vehicles for their streetcar network.

Quote:
I’d agree with you on these areas as demonstrating the same problem.

This does not look like a pleasant place! Bordered by railways on two sides yet the nearest station is a 20-minute walk, and a 12-lane highway on another side. The local bus appears to be every half-hour and pedestrian access to neighbouring areas for amenities and employment is restricted to the same solitary road in and out. Graveyards look like they have more activity going on!

Cars have their place as a mode of transport, but they are ill suited to facilitating large volumes of people in high density environments. Even with the sheer volume of lanes, it is the unwelcoming pedestrian experience, the noise, the pollution.
My point was that even with an relatively auto-oriented community of 7 condo towers, 1 large office building, 1 large hotel, and a few blocks of rowhouses, that's not enough to create a traffic jam on the one exit point (even though it's just a small 2 lane street). That street probably wouldn't be able to handle too much more development though, Liberty Village would be an example of a bigger community that also has limited exit points and it gets pretty congested during peak periods. The Kennedy bus comes every 5-10 minutes though, maybe you were looking at the 3am schedule because you're in a distant time zone?

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 10:27 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isotack View Post
Do you ever post your own photos? Because you to post everyone else's.
Including mine a few pages back.
You've been Isotacked.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2021, 4:45 PM

Old Posted Mar 14, 2021, 4:54 PM

Metrotown Burnaby - Greater Vancouver

Metrotown reflections
by D70, on Flickr

Metrotown Burnaby
by Peter, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 14, 2021, 7:34 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Burnaby Lake or Deer Lake?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2021, 7:48 PM
Never Dell

Burrard Inlet!

I think the tall hill in back is Lummi Island on the US side.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2021, 7:51 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
Burrard Inlet!

I think the tall hill in back is Lummi Island on the US side.

That first shot isn't Burrard Inlet. It looks very much like a freshwater small lake.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2021, 8:07 PM
Never Dell

My mistake! I was only seeing the second shot.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions