HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Nov 7, 2023, 6:01 PM

Is that because it has not been a priority?

Old Posted Nov 7, 2023, 6:05 PM

Construction would be faster than Peak2Peak or Grouse methinks because you don't have a winter construction closure (maybe other than a few days of snow at Burnaby Mtn).

Old Posted Nov 7, 2023, 7:23 PM

No one should get excited about this starting anytime soon. I’ll leave it at that.

Last edited by Vancouver_Highrise; Nov 7, 2023 at 8:23 PM.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2023, 8:10 PM

"No one should not be excited". So we should be excited?

Old Posted Nov 7, 2023, 8:24 PM

^updated 😢

Old Posted Nov 7, 2023, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowhou View Post
Just like busses and Skytrains, I'm guessing that the seats will fold up to accommodate wheelchairs. I'm more interested in how wheelchairs will be able to safely get on while the gondola is moving (and minding the gap)
Father in law is in a chair and has never had an issue with newish gondolas there just manually slow it down if i recall. Have to have a plan as needs to meet our ADA laws

Old Posted Nov 7, 2023, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nname View Post
On the discussion guide, they say the capacity at opening day is 3000pphpd. With each cabin of 30 passengers, that means one cabin departs every 36s.

The ultimate capacity is 4000pphpd, not sure if it's achieved by more cabins or fit more people into the cabin. If each cabin still holds 30 passengers, this means a cabin will depart every 27s.
Ultimate capacity of 2.2X the current service level seems pretty low. Even the much maligned canada line has an ultimate capacity that is 3x higher than what it opened with. What's the game plan once the capacity gondola is full? A second gondola?

Old Posted Nov 7, 2023, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cairnstone View Post
Father in law is in a chair and has never had an issue with newish gondolas there just manually slow it down if i recall. Have to have a plan as needs to meet our ADA laws
ACA

Having experience with ski hill lifts and gondolas I understand that they can do that, but it might be a bit much to ask the entire system to slow down IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottN View Post
Ultimate capacity of 2.2X the current service level seems pretty low. Even the much maligned canada line has an ultimate capacity that is 3x higher than what it opened with. What's the game plan once the capacity gondola is full? A second gondola?
Gondolas serve a very particular use case, and mass rapid transit isn't exactly one of them. Unlike UBC I don't think they're planning a need for 20,000pphpd to SFU anytime soon, but it would be very funny if in 100 years there's a Production Way Gondola, a Burquitlam Gondola, a Duthie Gondola, a WCE Gondola...

We're not serving cities here like the Canada Line (univercity does not count), it's really just the SFU campus (and only people heading south).-

Old Posted Nov 7, 2023, 10:17 PM

At the risk of drifting into the Fantasy thread, I'd argue that a Kensington Gondola may become useful once East Van, Hastings and the North Shore densify and join the rapid transit network.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2023, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
At the risk of drifting into the Fantasy thread, I'd argue that a Kensington Gondola may become useful once East Van, Hastings and the North Shore densify and join the rapid transit network.
It's not entirely out of the realm of possibility for the eventual Hastings Line to tunnel beneath Burnaby Mountain with a station in the centre of SFU; At an aggressive 6% grade from Duthie the station would only be 88m or 20 stories below ground, far less than the world record!

More realistically, I'd half expect a Hastings Line to include its own Burnaby Mt. Gondola at Duthie (as my previous comment eluded to). That one would have beautiful views of Vancouver Harbour and the North Shore Mountains.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver_Highrise View Post
No one should get excited about this starting anytime soon. I’ll leave it at that.
the video does say something like should the project advance design something etc will move ahead, so it sounds like this isn't a Slam dunk done thing? I doubt some of us will ever get to ride on it.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 5:28 PM
Can I has a tunnel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottN View Post
There's not that much room atop SFU to build. If 2/3 the current Canada Capacity isn't sufficient for the long term, then there's something real odd going on with the planning.

They could always run a different bus route up there if they need to supplement the capacity.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
the video does say something like should the project advance design something etc will move ahead, so it sounds like this isn't a Slam dunk done thing? I doubt some of us will ever get to ride on it.
They are currently working in the business case. Nothing is confirmed or funded until that is done and returns with a good cost benefit ratio.

Currently construction should start 2026 if there is no delay in funding.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure