HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 5:53 AM

SAYREVILLE, NJ | Luxury Point

About
A currently under construction, retail, commercial and residential center in Sayreville, NJ to be completed in several phases over the next 5-10 years.
http://www.thepointenj.com/
The Pointe - © 2016 O’Neill Properties Group.

Description

The Pointe will reside in Sayreville, NJ, at the center of the world’s finest retail market. It will be the only true luxury retail offering from Philadelphia to New York City. It will be easily accessible to luxury shoppers from New York City, Brooklyn, Staten Island, Connecticut, Northern New Jersey and the Shore Points.

Site will be located at the busiest intersection in the United States. 800,000 New York City commuters drive by the site each day. It is accessed directly by 24 lanes of traffic, and 12 on / off ramps to and from the Garden State Parkway, Routes 9 & 35.

Featuring a Taubman 1.2 million SF Luxury Mall, 620,000 SF of luxury shopping, entertainment, restaurants and groceries, a 200,000 SF Bass Pro Shops opening in Summer 2017, featuring the largest collection of luxury sporting and outdoor boating, hunting, fishing, camping, and hiking apparel and supplies, a 700,000 SF regional power center, 1,400 luxury apartments, 600 luxury homes, Waterfront Dining, Hotels and Office Space, The Pointe in Sayreville, NJ, will become the next iconic retail center in the United States.

Latest News:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/09/re...oast.html?_r=1

http://sub.gmnews.com/news/2011-06-1...or_tenant.html

http://sub.gmnews.com/news/2013-03-0...ayreville.html

Rendering Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcKCxDam-N0

Last edited by deepen915; Apr 29, 2016 at 4:43 AM.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 6:03 AM

Site Map for 2017 Completion

Last edited by deepen915; Apr 29, 2016 at 4:39 AM.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2013, 8:10 PM
New Yorker for life

A little too "sprawly" for my taste, but it is a massive development.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2013, 4:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
A little too "sprawly" for my taste, but it is a massive development.
well it is my hometown.. this should be a great new project in my area.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2013, 5:57 AM

Gross... can't believe New Jersey still allows unethical developers to build hideous sprawl like that on coastal wetlands ... especially after Sandy, but also from an environmental point of view

Old Posted Mar 30, 2013, 9:09 AM
TL;DR

Because nothing says "true luxury" like Bass Pro Shops.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2013, 8:25 AM
Greetings from New Jersey

What an ugly waste of a project ...

1. Theres an oversaturation of Malls in this state some are starting to go bankrupt and die due to this vs the older Downtown areas and yet this developer still wants to build this monster?
2. The Raritan river floods every time it rains or when theres a large storm surge ask the Bound Brooks , New Brunswick and the Amboys... that area was under 6ft of water during sandy....hence why developers are not hiestant about investing further in that area.
3. The Infrasture is overstressed due to lack of expansion in 10 years
4. The Corruption off these wetland land grabs in this region is troubling.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2013, 3:45 PM
BANNED

Even the few people who live within walking distance will have to traverse hundreds of feet of pavement to get to any of the stores based on the site plan. Looks like something from the 1960s. This is shameful. Could they not have had at least ONE side of the mall built up to the lot line.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Will View Post
Even the few people who live within walking distance will have to traverse hundreds of feet of pavement to get to any of the stores based on the site plan. Looks like something from the 1960s. This is shameful. Could they not have had at least ONE side of the mall built up to the lot line.
actually I am a town resident and this will be a huge improvement to our town. Sayreville is a retail dead zone, we have to drive to Woodbridge, Old Bridge or Edison just to get to a decent shopping center or mall. We need something like this. and it is only 1/2 mile off the Ramp of the parkway and Route 9 south. It won't be hard to get to.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
What an ugly waste of a project ...

1. Theres an oversaturation of Malls in this state some are starting to go bankrupt and die due to this vs the older Downtown areas and yet this developer still wants to build this monster?
2. The Raritan river floods every time it rains or when theres a large storm surge ask the Bound Brooks , New Brunswick and the Amboys... that area was under 6ft of water during sandy....hence why developers are not hiestant about investing further in that area.
3. The Infrasture is overstressed due to lack of expansion in 10 years
4. The Corruption off these wetland land grabs in this region is troubling.
but that's the problem.. if they give a chance to this area, it has potential. For us town residents it will be a convenience to not have to drive the Menlo Park or Woodbridge Mall or the Shoppes at Old Bridge just to get a little shopping done.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamilton View Post
Gross... can't believe New Jersey still allows unethical developers to build hideous sprawl like that on coastal wetlands ... especially after Sandy, but also from an environmental point of view
it's not wetlands, they have spent the last few years decontaminating the land and will obviously make the land filled with dirt and gravel and also give protection from the river. Just because of Sandy, we can't stop building new projects. Living in fear is ridiculous.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 7:12 PM
BANNED

The site plan is terrible. At least have "The Allee at Luxury Point" lead directly to a mall entrance so people don't have to traverse 200+ feet of parking lot and then be forced to walk through a store to get into the mall.

[quote[It won't be hard to get to.[/quote]

I think you forgot the words "by automobile" at the end there.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepen915 View Post
actually I am a town resident and this will be a huge improvement to our town. Sayreville is a retail dead zone, we have to drive to Woodbridge, Old Bridge or Edison just to get to a decent shopping center or mall. We need something like this. and it is only 1/2 mile off the Ramp of the parkway and Route 9 south. It won't be hard to get to.
No it won't , it will add to the already over congested GSP and US 9...the local roads aren't even close to being able to handle the extra cars. Sayerville could develop a Main Street along Route 18 by reconfiguring it into an Urban Boulevard. Not ever town in NJ needs a downtown or shopping hub , the vast majority do not have one. These days the only places that are doing well are the train town centers , auto towns are struggling with high vacancy rates and lack of investment. Even if you built this auto sprawl monster I doubt it would be successful...

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 12:23 AM

Quote:
it's not wetlands, they have spent the last few years decontaminating the land and will obviously make the land filled with dirt and gravel and also give protection from the river. Just because of Sandy, we can't stop building new projects. Living in fear is ridiculous.
But we the state tax payers have to subsidize all these projects being built in the Flood plains or wetlands , its just not worth anymore. Sandy was a wake up call , we need to start building up our natural defenses which include wetlands, marshes and floodplains along with building surge barriers on the inlets and flood walls along the coast. While the Man Made protections will keep most of the water and surge at bay , Mother Nature will do the heavy lifting. The Wetlands act like sponges absorbing most of the surge , and diminish the damage up stream which is critical for New Brunswick , Bound Brook etc.... Sandy was a mega storm , it some cat 5 favor to it , but it was no true Category 5 which I fear without these preventable measures in place like Surge Gates and Flood walls along the coast along with further building into the wetlands and marsh with be 10x worse then Sandy... South Amboy was under 8ft of waterfront , numerous homes and businesses were closed and you think its a good idea to build so close to the river and so low and on a floodplain?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 12:26 AM

Quote:
but that's the problem.. if they give a chance to this area, it has potential. For us town residents it will be a convenience to not have to drive the Menlo Park or Woodbridge Mall or the Shoppes at Old Bridge just to get a little shopping done.
You have South Amboy , New Brunswick , Woodbridge and Perth Amboy you don't need anymore shopping..its oversaturated in this region. We need housing more then Shopping...but not sprawlly housing. Transit Orineated Housing...like along the proposed Amboy Branch , or the Proposed New Brunswick LRT or the Proposed Route 18 BRT which you can reconfigure into a Main Street type shopping strip.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Because nothing says "true luxury" like Bass Pro Shops.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 2:03 AM

I thought Taubman Malls would have turned a corner by now.

This still follows a very typical 90's scheme. Indoor concourse / center court mall plan, outlot avenues, totally detached residential area.

There must be well over 100....maybe 200 suburban shopping center case studies that have large mixed use components but minimize much of the surface parking. For crying out loud, branded 'luxury malls' at least have parking decks so their patrons don't get soaked or cars baked in the summer.

EDIT: nm, rendering shows a SMALL one.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 2:26 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
You have South Amboy , New Brunswick , Woodbridge and Perth Amboy
Nobody should have to leave their own town just to do some shopping. That's not my issue with it....I'm always for more retail being built. My issue with this is the site plan and the obvious placement between a highway and a waterway.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 2:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Will View Post
Nobody should have to leave their own town just to do some shopping. That's not my issue with it....I'm always for more retail being built. My issue with this is the site plan and the obvious placement between a highway and a waterway.
Let's reconsider "more retail." In the case of suburban shopping centers, one retail center tends to cannibalize others. It's competitive understandably and cities want to boost their tax base. But as one mall grows another dies and you have all this wasted overbuilt infrastructure serving a diminished tax base once propped up by "here and now" type of development.

It's obviously being marketed at a niche mall with luxury branding...which tells me there's quite a bit of redundancy in the mid-range retail scene. But I can't even find a list of interested anchors for the mall. And apparently they need 5.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 3:28 AM
BANNED

I'm looking at it from the micro-perspective (the individual shopper) rather than the macro-perspective (what's good for the entire region or State). It's better for the individual not to have to travel all the way to another town to shop. It's just more convenient. My issue with this development is the terrible site plan that doesn't learn from mistakes of the past. But if an area has a growing population, the retail square footage should at least keep up with the population growth.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development