HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jun 8, 2016, 5:05 PM

Even back east people can get a little transit crazy

Courtesy: Community Architect Daily

"Leader of Purple Line Construction Team Makes First Public Appearance in Silver Spring"
Published: 2016.05.27 BY ANDREW METCALF - Bethesda Beat
Quote:
Herb Morgan of Purple Line Transit Partners told attendees ‘We’re here for the long haul’

It may have never seemed possible 10 years ago, but on Thursday night in Silver Spring a man told community members his company would be responsible for building the 16-mile light-rail Purple Line.
So how did it go; nice crowd?
Quote:
His introduction to the community wasn’t exactly smooth—a woman in the back of the meeting interrupted him, screaming about “the children,” unsettling the room. After she stopped, he continued speaking.
Herb Morgan, a senior vice president for the Fluor Corporation made reference to their experience in Denver. After an extensive presentation questions were taken.
Quote:
The woman who was screaming during Morgan’s introductory remarks also screamed...during the question-and-answer portion of the meeting,

At one point, a frustrated Madden said, “Will someone get her a cookie?”

The woman replied, “I’m going to need 1,000 cookies for all the children.”
This project is also doing PAB's as part of the financing package that are rated similarly to RTD/FasTracks PAB's.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 1:44 AM
cities|transit|croissants

^
Imagine if RTD tried to build a light rail line to Cherry Creek literally through the middle of the Country Club and the surrounding rich neighborhood. Those are the NIMBYs the Purple Line has to deal with. They're crazy. They've thrown everything they can (my favorite) at it, and as the most entitled group of people in the city they're bitter and don't know what to do about losing.

Luckily there are equally well organized (if not as wealthy) grassroots support groups, including the local bike group (just for bunt—they got on board when the NIMBYs started claiming the LRT would ruin a trail).

Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 4:59 AM

DAYUM... that's some amazing clustermess and background. Does the existing lawsuit have to play out before they start construction or is it viewed as mere nuisance?

But the amphipod? Wait, which amphipod species are we talking about?

Denver is so blessed in the sense that FasTracks sailed through with very little blowback, virtually none once it was voter approved. Well they did have the recession induced problems but that was short-lived.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 12:23 PM

There's no injunction. Construction doesn't start until this fall anyway, though. In the meantime, planning and right-of-way acquisition continues unabated. Right-of-way has been fun too.

The amphipod is basically a tiny crayfish. It's a species that's only found in DC, and in only one single creek, called the Hay's Spring Amphipod (notably, it is not found in Maryland, the location of the Purple Line). The NIMBY's got skewered publicly over it.

Michelle Brown/Smithsonian

Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 3:43 PM

Such a notable history: "Records show that when the Native Americans created the trail now known as Wisconsin Avenue, they may or may not have stepped on amphipods along the way."

And a court case for Adverse Possession that went all the way to the Maryland Court of Appeals that even bunt could appreciate. Adverse possession cases by their nature are typically quite interesting.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 4:20 PM

You gotta love High-Tech... when it's working.

GSN =/= TSSS
For the uniformed that would be Government Security News and Transit Safety & Security Solutions.

TSSS ensures new Denver rail corridor stays secure
Wed, 2016-06-08 by Unclaimed Fame
Quote:
DENVER, CO June 7, 2016 Transit Safety & Security Solutions, Inc. (TSSS) is proud to have been a part of the Train to the Plane's recent Grand Opening Ceremony in Denver.

Colorado A Line covers 23 miles of rail that provides easy, affordable and reliable connections between downtown Denver, Denver International Airport (DIA), and the communities along I-70.
STOP... "affordable" OK but can we chat about "easy and reliable"?

Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 4:58 PM

I took the A train Tues. & Wed. for the first time.

On my way out, it ran as smooth as can be. Walked over to DUS, hopped on, 10 mins. later we were on our way and 35 minutes to DIA. Couldn't ask for it to be any better.

On the way back however (last evening) was a different story. Show up to train platform, no train. Wait for 15 mins. until train shows up. Get on the train, and then wait another 20 until we finally get moving. Once on the way was OK, though this time we had one stop outside a station for about 3-4 minutes. Total time on the train back to DUS was 40 minutes. So there are definitely still some bugs to work out...read that they were on a pretty good delay this morning.

TSA seems to have gotten their act together though, I never waited more than 5 minutes in security this time (non pre-check line). I also like the bag drop on the train platform for Southwest, that is pretty slick.
"The engineer is the key figure in the material progress of the world. It is his engineering that makes a reality of the potential value of science by translating scientific knowledge into tools, resources, energy and labor to bring them into the service of man. To make contributions of this kind the engineer requires the imagination to visualize the need of society and to appreciate what is possible as well as the technological and broad social age understanding to bring his vision to reality."

Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 5:00 PM

Denver prepares final Smart City Challenge pitch to win $50M for transportation tech

Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 5:57 PM

Not a good day to be a cyclist in Denver.

Exhibit 'A' and Exhibit 'B'

Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 7:11 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
DAYUM... that's some amazing clustermess and background. Does the existing lawsuit have to play out before they start construction or is it viewed as mere nuisance?
Well, I know they are closing on their TIFIA financing this week (I-70 has a lot of the same advisors for TIFIA), and the PABs a couple weeks after that. So the money isn't too concerned.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 7:20 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Cirrus - do you expect that the purple line will be added to the standard WMATA metro map? I see it on some unofficial versions online, but was just wondering. I don't think MARC is on any versions of it, but Purple Line seems different.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 7:38 PM

The map is an open question. It absolutely *should* be, but the Purple Line won't be operated by WMATA, so there's no guarantee. WMATA staffers can only offer their opinion at this point, as there's been no official move to update the map. But WMATA will have to update the map when the 2nd phase of the Silver Line is done in a few years anyway, so there will be opportunity and a chance for advocacy.

The DC Streetcar isn't on the map, for the record.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 8:58 PM

We need to incorporate as many of these as we can.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/81183...ign=CMfacebook

Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 9:15 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by comoneymaker View Post

We have two already in Colorado, and you will be seeing more. The new McCaslin interchange in Superior/Louisville on US36 is the poster child.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 9:21 PM
ColoRADo

Quote:

No thanks. At least not in the urban context. If they want to build them in Superior, cool with me.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 9:27 PM

It is the safest most efficient interchange there is. Plus you can do it with highways as well. Could make the I-70 I25 disaster efficient for once. You can even add in safe pedestrian access.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 9:30 PM
ColoRADo

Quote:
It is the safest most efficient interchange there is. Plus you can do it with highways as well. Could make the I-70 I25 disaster efficient for once. You can even add in safe pedestrian access.
This is where you lost me.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 9:44 PM

"Last year, researchers found that diverging diamonds cut accidents by 33 percent and fatal accidents on terminal ramps by more than 60 percent. The drivers who use it were also found to rarely make mistakes. According to a survey conducted at America's first DDI in Springfield, Missouri, 97 percent of drivers said they felt safer on it."

You could even make it way better by putting one of the directions under the raised highway underground. This is how it would work for a highway.(Or just smoother traffic) If you watch the video and pause at 2:44 imagine the lane going away from you dropping underground before the first interchange (bottom of screen). Then the on and off ramps meet and leave it underground. Then it comes back to street level after the next interchange.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 9:48 PM
ColoRADo

Quote:
"Last year, researchers found that diverging diamonds cut accidents by 33 percent and fatal accidents on terminal ramps by more than 60 percent. The drivers who use it were also found to rarely make mistakes. According to a survey conducted at America's first DDI in Springfield, Missouri, 97 percent of drivers said they felt safer on it."

You could even make it way better by putting one of the directions under the raised highway underground. This is how it would work for a highway.(Or just smoother traffic) If you watch the video and pause at 2:44 imagine the lane going away from you dropping underground before the first interchange (bottom of screen). Then the on and off ramps meet and leave it underground. Then it comes back to street level after the next interchange.
This has nothing to do with pedestrian access.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 9:54 PM

lol didn't notice you put that part in bold. Just saw you quote and then looked at what you wrote. You probably would not want to do it there. But Speer and I-25 and other intersections could be useful.

Heck looking at the Colfax I-25 interchange...it could really clean things up there and make access to Mile High and Metro a heck of a lot better.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West