HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 5:51 AM

Looking through the April Plan Commission agenda, and saw that the Chicago Hope Academy's plan to relocate to East Garfield Park is moving forward. They are partnering with the Chicago Lions Charitable Association to construct a new high school, as well as two stadiums + more:

Quote:
The Applicants then plan to construct: a 120,000 square foot private high school and approximate 1,300 seat stadium and a connection to the existing Quest Multisport facility to house the Chicago Hope Academy; a 2,600-seat capacity stadium, a fieldhouse and athletic fields for the Chicago Lions Charitable Organization; 291 accessory vehicular parking spaces; and a playground, dog park and basketball/tennis courts that are all publicly accessible.
Found some renderings here, don't know how recent they are: https://www.map-strategies.com/lions...sports-complex

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 1:26 PM

I didn't see it posted anywhere here but looks like Landmarks Commission adopted designation for 1393 W. Lake yesterday and denied the demo permit.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
I didn't see it posted anywhere here but looks like Landmarks Commission adopted designation for 1393 W. Lake yesterday and denied the demo permit.
That is great news. I think markets are pretty great tools to decide what should be built where and where capital should be used. But occasionally there are perverse incentives and multi-polar traps where communities need to step up and solve issues that concentrated, profit motives can't.

Landmarking a building removes freedom from the property owner. But when this building was sold, the investor understood the risk/reward profile of what he was buying. There was always a possibility that he wouldn't be able to destroy it and wring a little extra return by constructing a parking lot where an irreplaceable treasure used to exist.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 1:44 PM

The Chicago Landmarks Commission has unanimously voted in favor of preliminary landmark designation for the former Schlitz Tied House at 1393 West Lake built in 1892.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 2:32 PM
The City

^ YES!!!!! Last minute save!

I'm all in favor of property rights (DUH....), but Landmarking is a great thing and I don't think it harms property owners very much, at all. In fact, it probably benefits them because I think a landmarked property will increase in value if it's in the right area, plus you get tax incentives.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 3:56 PM

these wins are few and far between these days. reason to celebrate for sure, although ill save the champagne for when its gets permanent status.

that said, does anyone know the condition of the interior, given this statement?

Quote:
Giannini bought the building with attorney and investor Steven DeGraff with the intention of razing it, zoning attorney Sara Barnes said Thursday. He invested “hundreds of thousands of dollars” into gutting the building, Barnes said.
also, like...this is blatantly false and its so slimy to suggest no one staunchly opposed this demo

Quote:
During a meeting with Ald. Walter Burnett Jr. (27th) in summer 2019, there was no opposition to the group’s plans to demolish both parcels and build new construction.

Last edited by Via Chicago; Apr 2, 2021 at 4:07 PM.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ YES!!!!! Last minute save!

I'm all in favor of property rights (DUH....), but Landmarking is a great thing and I don't think it harms property owners very much, at all. In fact, it probably benefits them because I think a landmarked property will increase in value if it's in the right area, plus you get tax incentives.
If this is true, I wonder why the Pilsen property owners were in such opposition to a new historic district covering their properties?

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 7:17 PM
BANNED

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...lca-story.html

Brewery, apartments coming to former Jefferson Park firehouse after legal battle ends

By Sarah Freishtat

Chicago Tribune |

Apr 02, 2021 at 1:21 PM

Plans from Ambrosia Homes and Lake Effect Brewing Company to convert a former fire station to apartments and a brewery are moving forward. (KLLM Architects / Ambrosia Homes)

Developer Ambrosia Homes intends to add a third story to the 115-year-old building and create nine market-rate rental units, and Lake Effect Brewing Company plans to move into the ground floor.

The $208,000 sale of the city-owned building, at 4841 N. Lipps Ave., closed Tuesday, said Ambrosia principal Tim Pomaville. The funds will be used to reimburse the developers for the costs of removing hazardous materials, such as lead paint, from the property.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Landmarking is a great thing and I don't think it harms property owners very much, at all. In fact, it probably benefits them because I think a landmarked property will increase in value if it's in the right area, plus you get tax incentives.
Unless the developers are slimy liars, they claimed at the hearing that it hurts them big time.

They said they put "hundreds of thousands of dollars" into gutting the building, getting the demo permits, and working out an easement agreement with Marquette to share the rights to the triangle parcel to the west.

They also claimed that this building *wasn't* landmark-worthy because it didn't have the Schlitz globe logo, which is laughable because this building predates that logo. On second thought, they do sound like liars...

One part of the meeting that struck me was the question of why the building wasn't considered for landmarking back in 2016. The response was that the city simply had no staff to do the research. Shocking for a city that supposedly prides itself on architecture.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
If this is true, I wonder why the Pilsen property owners were in such opposition to a new historic district covering their properties?
well the Pilsen district was self sabotaged by rampant mis/disinformation and kinda terrible grass roots outreach

all that aside, if a developer wants to tear down an existing building than obviously without landmarking you have more leverage as the current property owner. that said, the whole point of landmarking is to prevent the wholesale destruction of an urban fabric the community deems to be valuable. if the community isnt on board its a non starter. over the long term, if the property supply is constrained via landmarking than in theory your old building is valuable no matter what assuming the location is valuable.

the hilarious thing is pretty much EVERYTHING in pilsen is a proxy war over gentrification, and the messaging basically turned into "its going to be impossible for us to upgrade our building/business because like...we wont be able to have an awning and a big sign! and its going to force us out of business!"

reality of course is eliminating any sort of protections and knocking down a bunch of old buildings to put up luxury boxes will only accelerate gentrification, not slow it down. theyre cutting off their nose to spite their face.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 10:29 PM

932 W Randolph

Mar 22

Mar 25

Old Posted Apr 3, 2021, 1:24 AM

First quarter is in the books. I have been keeping track all year of properties in the city proper whose sale price was above the initial list price. Generally if a property was listed sometime and a month later it is listed again, the previous one would be the one I consider. If there's no activity for 6-8+ months then I will take the newer one. There's some nuance but in general interesting to me.

In total for the first 3 months of the year, I found 603 properties (SFH, Condo/Townhome, multi unit building....and some properties) in the city proper whose sale price was greater than the list price from January - March 2021. Furthermore, there were at least 246 more properties that sold at the same as their list price.

Map:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/ed...4P&usp=sharing

Some of the top properties:
1. 4448 N Mozart (Albany Park) - $90K over list price
2. 8254 S Carpenter St (Auburn Gresham) - $66,500 over list price
3. 3800 N Lake Shore Dr Unit D3 (Lake View) - $65K over list price
4. 3963 W Belmont Ave Unit 315 (Avondale) - $64K over list price
5. 5242 N Larned Ave (Jefferson Park) - $60K over list price

By Type
SFH: 282
Condos: 201
Multi unit buildings: 108
Townhomes: 8
Land: 4

By neighborhood - Only SFH, Condo, and Townhomes. Sale price above list price.
1. Near West Side: 35 properties
2. West Town: 26
3T. Lake View: 18
3T. Near South Side: 18
5. Near North Side: 15
6T. Auburn Gresham: 15
6T. Logan Square: 15
6T. Portage Park: 15
9. Ashburn: 14
10T. Belmont Cragin: 13
10T. West Pullman: 13

By neighborhood - Only SFH. Sale price above list price.
1. Auburn Gresham: 15 SFH
2. Ashburn: 14
3T. Belmont Cragin: 13
3T. Portage Park: 13
3T. West Pullman: 13
6. Washington heights: 12
7T. Garfield Ridge: 11
7T. Roseland: 11
7T. West Lawn: 11
10T. Chatham: 9
10T. Morgan Park: 9
10T. West Englewood: 9

By neighborhood - Only condos. Sale price above list price.
1. Near West Side: 34 condos
2. West Town: 24
3. Near South Side: 18
4. Near North Side: 17
5. Lake View: 16
6. Uptown: 11
7T. Lincoln Park: 8
7T. Logan Square: 8
7T. Rogers Park: 8
10. North Center: 7

By neighborhood - Only multi unit buildings. Sale price above list price.
1. Austin: 12 multi unit buildings
2T. Auburn Gresham: 6
2T. Brighton Park: 6
2T. New City: 6
5T. Chicago Lawn: 5
5T. Greater Grand Crossing: 5
7T. Chatham: 4
7T. Englewood: 4
9T. Albany Park: 3
9T. North Lawndale: 3
9T. Portage Park: 3
9T. Roseland: 3
9T. Washington Park: 3
9T. West Garfield Park: 3

By neighborhood - Only SFH, Condo, and Townhomes. Sale price same as list price.
1T. Lake View: 22 properties
1T West Town: 22
3. Lincoln Park: 16
4T. Edgewater: 12
4T. Logan Square: 12
6. Uptown: 8
7. Near West Side: 7
8T. Near North Side: 6
8T. Norwood Park: 6
8T. Portage Park: 6

By neighborhood - Only SFH. Sale price same as list price.
1. Portage Park: 6 SFH
2. Logan Square: 5
3T. Austin: 4
3T. Beverly: 4
3T. Garfield Ridge: 4
3T. Jefferson Park: 4
3T. Norwood Park: 4
8T. Ashburn: 3
8T. Clearing: 3
8T. Dunning: 3
8T. West Lawn: 3

By neighborhood - Only condos. Sale price same as list price.
1T. Lake View: 21 condos
1T. West Town: 21
3. Lincoln Park: 15
4. Edgewater: 10
5T. Logan Square: 7
5T. Near West Side: 7
5T. Uptown: 7
8. Near North Side: 6
9. West Ridge: 5
10. The Loop: 4

b]By neighborhood[/B] - Only multi unit buildings. Sale price same as list price.
1. Austin: 6 multi unit buildings
2T. Belmont Cragin: 2
2T. Brighton Park: 2
2T. Little Village: 2
2T. McKinley Park: 2
2T. O'Hare: 2
2T. South Chicago: 2
2T. West Garfield Park: 2

The following all had 1: Logan Square, Portage Park, West Lawn, Greater Grand Crossing, South Shore, West Englewood, Armour Square, Englewood, North Lawndale, and West Elsdon.

Last edited by marothisu; Apr 3, 2021 at 1:51 AM.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2021, 1:46 AM

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
In Pilsen the goal is to increase blight and drive down property values, why would they support something to fight blight and increase values?

Such perverse nonsense, hope they are happy when every workers cottage in the entire area is replaced with a SMARTHOME TM.

Reddit.com/r/REbubble

Old Posted Apr 3, 2021, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty Joe View Post
Wish we could save more charming buildings that add character. We have so much land in Chicago to build modern skyscrapers, no need to be tearing down buildings that other cities would die for. I'm from the Bay Area and you just don't have the same pre-war building stock.
I think Chicago probably looked it's best from street level around 1925 with a very high percentage of Terra Cotta and stone, although everything was covered with soot from steam engines.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2021, 5:23 PM

The first building in a ~160 unit development at Ravenswood & Lawrence, across from the Ravenswood Metra stop was issued a new construction building permit on Wednesday. This building will be 4 stories tall with 55 units, 36 parking spaces. This one for 4736 N Ravenswood Ave.

That site used to be a Chase Bank and was torn down in the last few years - new building for it built on the corner, and next to where Band of Bohemia was. Also around the corner from the recently renovated Sears condos/apartments. There should be another phase with 100+ more units.

Street view:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/47...!4d-87.6750839

The design won't win any awards.
http://harlemirving.com/ravenswood-lawrence/

This was approved nearly 4 years ago now. https://twitter.com/ChicagoDPD/statu...849287/photo/1

Old Posted Apr 3, 2021, 6:16 PM

Western Ave infill near 606

There's quite a lot of 4-, 5-, and 6-story infill now on Western, south of the Blue Line. "Trailhead" (gray and blue metal panel building) is a hot mess, but it engages with the trail nicely -- doesn't make up for that (literally?) comical cornice, though.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2021, 6:21 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

I kind of like the container port vibe it invokes, but that cornice is indeed ridiculous...

Old Posted Apr 3, 2021, 6:22 PM

^ We must be connected or something because I was just about to ask anyone on here if they had pictures of this building. Do you have pictures of the small building at Moffat & Western just north of that? Used to be a used car lot. The 1 story building next door to it was just issued for a new 4 story residential building (9 units).

Great to see the infill and looking a bit more dense in places than previously. Pretty big change in the overall area plus Milwaukee in the last even 7 years.

By the way, BuildingUpChicago is taking pictures again. He has some of some impactful infill projects 7+ stories:

1) Panorama in Lakeview (3300 N Clark St) - 8 stories: https://buildingupchicago.com/2021/0...0-north-clark/

2) Nevele22 in River West (1122 W Chicago - near the Chicago Blue Line stop) - 7 stories: https://buildingupchicago.com/2021/0...in-river-west/

3) Residences at Eagle in Lakeview (3833 N Broadway) - 8 stories: https://buildingupchicago.com/2021/0...agle-building/

It is interesting how Lakeview East area has been getting taller between Panorama, Optima, Residences at Eagle, Viridion on Sheridan (across from Residences at Eagle..9 stories), the parking garage converting to residential at Broadway & Barry and adding a few new floors (6 or 7 total IIRC), and even the new Mariano's near that...plus some stuff in Uptown going up, and a few of the more recent developments near Wrigley Field. It's great to see. They might not be high rises, but these buildings have a great impact.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2021, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
^ We must be connected or something because I was just about to ask anyone on here if they had pictures of this building. Do you have pictures of the small building at Moffat & Western just north of that? Used to be a used car lot. The 1 story building next door to it was just issued for a new 4 story residential building (9 units).

Great to see the infill and looking a bit more dense in places than previously. Pretty big change in the overall area plus Milwaukee in the last even 7 years.

By the way, BuildingUpChicago is taking pictures again. He has some of some impactful infill projects 7+ stories:

1) Panorama in Lakeview (3300 N Clark St) - 8 stories: https://buildingupchicago.com/2021/0...0-north-clark/

2) Nevele22 in River West (1122 W Chicago - near the Chicago Blue Line stop) - 7 stories: https://buildingupchicago.com/2021/0...in-river-west/

3) Residences at Eagle in Lakeview (3833 N Broadway) - 8 stories: https://buildingupchicago.com/2021/0...agle-building/

It is interesting how Lakeview East area has been getting taller between Panorama, Optima, Residences at Eagle, Viridion on Sheridan (across from Residences at Eagle..9 stories), the parking garage converting to residential at Broadway & Barry and adding a few new floors (6 or 7 total IIRC), and even the new Mariano's near that...plus some stuff in Uptown going up, and a few of the more recent developments near Wrigley Field. It's great to see. They might not be high rises, but these buildings have a great impact.
I could glimpse the building at Western/Moffat from where I was on the trail, but it wasn’t photograph-able.

I live near Panorama in Lakeview, and it’s really nice looking. Would be so cool if BKL would do more smaller (for them) projects like that. Optima has metal frames up between the slabs — should be getting façade materials up in the next few weeks, I imagine.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2021, 11:22 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
hey said they put "hundreds of thousands of dollars" into gutting the building, getting the demo permits, and working out an easement agreement with Marquette to share the rights to the triangle parcel to the west.
I'm confused what their ultimate plan was. They put La Luce into Marquette's PD, I guess so they could transfer the air rights from the triangle parcel? But it sounds like they were ALSO planning to develop the Midwest Performance Cars building next door, which is NOT in the PD. So, under the current zoning rules, they couldn't tear them both down and put up one larger building... they are two separate zoning lots straddling a PD boundary.

If they wanted to combine lots, this would require another zoning change (revision to the PD). SO... if they needed to do that anyway, then they could just as easily move all their unused development rights onto Midwest Performance Cars and build a taller, more slender building on that parcel. Landmarking La Luce doesn't take away any development rights, essentially - it just forces them to "squeeze the balloon" of FAR into a different building shape.

What it sounds like to me is that they deliberately wanted to tear down La Luce before requesting the zoning change, so that the community/alderman could not demand preservation of La Luce as a condition of the zoning change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
these wins are few and far between these days. reason to celebrate for sure, although ill save the champagne for when its gets permanent status.
Yeah City Council must ratify the landmarking and aldermanic prerogative applies there as well. If Burnett doesn't want it to happen, it won't.

Last edited by ardecila; Apr 3, 2021 at 11:37 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development