HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Oct 23, 2023, 5:02 PM

I noticed "The Peak" has a website up, although noting on it but the splash page (Although it does ay December occuplancy).

The ironic part of the splash video is you can see what a shitty job they did the the exterior. You can very easily still make out the Enbridge logo.

https://peakresidences.ca/

Old Posted Oct 24, 2023, 5:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YEG-Urbanist View Post
I noticed "The Peak" has a website up, although noting on it but the splash page (Although it does ay December occuplancy).

The ironic part of the splash video is you can see what a shitty job they did the the exterior. You can very easily still make out the Enbridge logo.

https://peakresidences.ca/

That's pretty shotty work. The entire renovation/conversion project is suspect.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2023, 2:45 PM
Community Guy

Let's not jump to conclusions here unless you have been inside inspecting their work.

Multiple towers around the Downtown have faint ghostings of their previous lead tenants.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Oct 24, 2023, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Let's not jump to conclusions here unless you have been inside inspecting their work.

Multiple towers around the Downtown have faint ghostings of their previous lead tenants.
After an exterior renovation?

At the very least, they could have easily edited the Enbridge logo out of the footage. Leaving it in just looks sloppy and shows no attention to detail.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2023, 5:58 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by YEG-Urbanist View Post
After an exterior renovation?

At the very least, they could have easily edited the Enbridge logo out of the footage. Leaving it in just looks sloppy and shows no attention to detail.
Old EPCOR on Jasper/100 is a good example.

Others can be seen around the core if you look.

Either way, it could have been better, but not the end of the day.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2023, 5:58 PM
Community Guy

Old EPCOR on Jasper/100 is a good example.

Others can be seen around the core if you look.

Either way, it could have been better, but not a huge issue

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 12:20 AM
Community Guy

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 12:34 AM
Community Guy

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 1:20 AM

Looks like the Latta Bridge is almost completed

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 1:49 AM

^^ Great shot

^ Any date for opening?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 2:11 AM

Quote:

Its been sketchy from day one. The on and off construction deadlines...the constant stalled development of this project says something. The exterior fronting Jasper is Bush league. It literally looks like a drunk girl with a pencil drew the design for the Glazing.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 2:16 AM
Community Guy

You just insulted a lot of designers/archimatects out there

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 3:50 AM

Quote:
You just insulted a lot of designers/archimatects out there
I have TASTE....and a Multitude of Panache

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 4:28 PM

I just thought about this, but does anyone know why they took down the programmable LEDs from ATB tower? Those were a great feature for the skyline.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 5:02 PM

Quote:
For some reason, for me that picture evoked projects that never got off the ground WAY WAY back in the 1970s, like the RBC/Journal (Southam?) development, and what I think was called Commonwealth something or other, where that parking lot still sits over 50 years later.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 5:15 PM
Community Guy

Two downtown buildings significant in Edmonton’s early economic development designated Municipal Historic Resources
October 25, 2023

The Boardwalk and the Revillon Building, located next to each other at 10310-102 Street, have a storied history in the Downtown warehouse district. While a glass atrium was built in 1986 to connect the two, each building has its own story and each played a role in developing the commercial strength of Edmonton. In recognition of the importance of these buildings, City Council has voted to declare them Municipal Historic Resources.

“The Revillon Building and the Boardwalk are two of the most cherished and recognizable buildings in Edmonton,” said Principal Heritage Planner David Johnston. “Although the two buildings have served many purposes over the decades, their architectural beauty remains largely unchanged. This heritage designation will help ensure both buildings are repaired and renovated in a respectful manner which honours their history.”

Both the Revillon Building and the Boardwalk will receive a grant of $500,000 each to help with the cost of renovations and repairs.

The Boardwalk

The Boardwalk (previously known as the Ross Brothers Ltd. warehouse) was built in three stages in 1910, 1928 and 1940, The Ross Brothers Ltd. warehouse served as a wholesale trading centre to the region. Sitting on a Canadian Northern Railway (CNoR) spur line, the Boardwalk processed goods unloaded directly from railroad cars onto chutes and large electric freight elevators, to be weighed on industrial scales, then stored on upper floors constructed of solid wood. The building was a particular achievement for Fred and James Ross who started with a small hardware store which grew into a large operation centering on the Boardwalk building.

Although it was built for an industrial use, the building was designed for beauty and civic pride in the Second Renaissance Style with its facade of springing arches and parapet cornice. The building was constructed of local brick, fashioned by the J.B. LIttle Brickyards in Riverdale, with the arches and lintels lined with stone. The interior is built with stacked Douglas Fir beams designed to carry heavy warehouse loads.

After the Ross Brothers, the building was owned by a succession of other companies, including the J.W. Ashdown Hardware Company, which explains the letter “A” on the elevator penthouse visible along 103 Street, as well as the painted ghost sign on the east and south walls. In the 1970s, a consortium converted the building from industrial to commercial uses, built the distinctive wooden sidewalk, and rebranded the building as the Boardwalk.

The Revillon Building

The Revillon Building, completed in 1912, was built for one of the largest fur manufacturers in the world, the Revillon Frères Company. The solid Chicago Commercial Style structure is defined by its expression of an exposed concrete base and brick infill. The building served as a warehouse for Revillon Frères, which turned raw Canadian fur into luxury goods sold in global centres such as Paris, London, Milan, Madrid, New York and Tokyo.

The spur line that also served the Boardwalk ran to the immediate east allowing Revillon Frères’ own railcars to unload directly to the warehouse. The building was the scene of two major fires after it was constructed, one of which caused a complete review and reorganization of the Edmonton Fire Department in 1949 due to a lack of equipment and training to properly fight the fire. Revillon Frères sold its Edmonton operations to J.W. Ashdown Hardware in 1929, which means that the ownership of the Revillon and Boardwalk buildings has been tied together for almost a century.

The City’s Historic Resource Management Plan outlines the City’s mission to identify, protect and promote the preservation and use of historic resources. The Plan contains 24 policies and 88 action items that direct how Edmonton’s heritage should be preserved and celebrated. Since the plan was initiated in 1985, 179 properties have been designated, with more designations planned in the future.

For more information:
edmonton.ca/historicresources

Media contact:
Mary-Ann Thurber
Communications Advisor
Urban Planning and Economy
780-619-3254

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 5:19 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardhatdan View Post
I just thought about this, but does anyone know why they took down the programmable LEDs from ATB tower? Those were a great feature for the skyline.
They have ongoing work for a new 'comprehensive sign package'.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 8:09 PM

Quote:
They have ongoing work for a new 'comprehensive sign package'.
I'm hoping that will include funky new LED Christmas lighting for the ATB Tower. That candy cane lighting is decades old and way past their expiry date.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 9:57 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
For some reason, for me that picture evoked projects that never got off the ground WAY WAY back in the 1970s, like the RBC/Journal (Southam?) development, and what I think was called Commonwealth something or other, where that parking lot still sits over 50 years later.
That parking lot owner is obviously in no rush to develop, unfortunately.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 10:15 PM
Community Guy

Imagine what that shot could have been...

RBC

Commonwealth Square

emporis.com

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton