HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Oct 27, 2022, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
years, perhaps decades overdue.
or, more accurately, here we go yet again...

while i'm fully supportive of the goals, after decades of disappointment and inaction you'll have to forgive me if i'm not enthusiastic about seeing much change this time around.

this isn't rocket science... if it's an illegal or sub-standard parking lot, the city has more 42" jersey barriers in their inventory blocking views to the river valley and stretching for kilometre after kilometre on innumerable medians and bridge decks and for use in construction zones. perhaps we could just repurpose some of them???

put a single 10' jersey barrier on the inside sidewalk edge of the curb cut being used for street access and four more along the lane at the back of every 50 lot being used for parking that shouldn't be and problem solved.

why this will take 8 months for another administration report that will roll into next summer's break and maybe get dealt with - or not - a year from now is why it's still a problem decades after it was first identified as one.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2022, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
So this is the difference with City-owned lots, which have more authority to enforce fines such as through vehicle registrations, right?

To stick it to the illegal parking lot owners, no one should pay for parking until those owners bring their lots into compliance.
Exactly. Park on the side of the road and don't pay the meter, can't ignore the ticket or next time you can't renew your registration I believe.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2022, 4:31 PM
Community Guy

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Nov 4, 2022, 6:56 PM

^

interesting approach to supporting downtown businesses and recovery...

i wonder how much consultation was done with those downtown businesses on this vs increasing taxes and administration costs for a "night mayor"?

maybe the night mayor's first task could be to eliminate this?

Old Posted Nov 4, 2022, 8:15 PM
Community Guy

Exactly Ken.

We know for a fact that parking is a top 3 reason people do not come to central areas... how about reducing them and putting paid parking throughout the rest of the city or tax mall parking lots accordingly.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2022, 4:38 PM
Community Guy

Edmonton got rid of parking minimums 2 years ago. What has happened since then?

Too soon to see full effects, but some developments going ahead with minimal parking

Madeleine Cummings · CBC News

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...then-1.6680750

Old Posted Dec 16, 2022, 8:57 PM
Community Guy

Way to go. Bra F O.

You invest millions into BIAs, local business investments, Main Street renewal and KNOW that the #1 reason folks don't patron areas is due to paid parking (their own surveys) and now make it even less enticing to go support these areas and push the 'mall/power centre' value prop even hight.

WOW
---

All ePark zones in the city would now operate from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. Most zones, except those around Rogers Place, only operate from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. currently.

The city will also start charging for parking on Sundays between the hours of 10 a.m. and 5 p.m.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2022, 9:03 PM
Community Guy

So dollars raised will be reinvested I am told, a good thing in theory, but again, the number one reason folks don't go to these areas is the paid/cost of parking (rightly or wrongly)

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://www.edmonton.ca/sites/default/files/public-files/Curbside-Management-Strategy.pdf?cb=1671152307

Old Posted Dec 17, 2022, 8:52 AM

https://globalnews.ca/news/9351681/e...fees-increase/

Strange strategy, especially given the current state of downtown right now. It needs all the visitors it can get.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2022, 4:49 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 7:06 PM
Community Guy

EPark changes starting May 1 to respond to current parking demand
April 12, 2022

The City of Edmonton is updating the EPark program to respond to current parking demands and the needs of our growing city. The changes include new operating hours at all curbside EPark zones, hourly rate increases where demand is high and maintaining low rates or removing paid parking where demand is low. These changes are consistent with other Canadian cities that have adjusted pricing in response to parking demand.

Starting May 1, 2023:

The operating hours for all EPark zones will be 8am to 9pm Monday through Saturday and 10am to 5pm Sunday to align with local business hours, increase turnover and ensure parking space is available.
Free curbside parking will be adjusted from 30 to 15 minutes to support businesses and customers for pickup and dropoff activities.

Hourly parking rates will increase from $3.50 to $4.50 in high demand on-street parking areas (which applies to four per cent of EPark stalls in Edmonton), in three locations in the downtown area: Rice Howard Way, 103 Street between 102 Ave and 103 Ave, and 104 Street between Jasper Ave and 104 Ave.

Monthly parking rates will increase from $315 to $350 at all City-owned parkades to be in line with other indoor parking rates downtown.
The City will remove 68 EPark zones that are experiencing low demand and convert them to two or three hour time restricted zones.
New “parking for electric vehicle charging only” signs will be installed at 22 public electric vehicle charging locations to ensure these stalls are being used as intended.

To allow time for the public to adjust, enforcement will be eased from May 1-15, 2023. Full enforcement of EPark curbside parking will resume on May 15, 2023.

Starting June 1, 2023, thirteen new EPark zones will be added to help increase turnover and free up available stalls. The locations will include:

Three zones in the 124 Street Business Improvement Area,
Five zones in the Old Strathcona Business Improvement Area,
Two zones in the Kingsway Business Improvement Area, and
Three zones in the Downtown Business Improvement Area.

For more information visit edmonton.ca/EPark.

For more information:
edmonton.ca/EPark

Media contact:
Derek Logan
Communications Advisor
Communications and Engagement

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 7:37 PM

^Personally speaking, im a big supporter of (good) transit, but our transit isnt good enough for the parking fee to push me towards using it for a night out downtown, and if im going with a few people, the parking might still come out cheaper than the bus ticket. I know you have to factor in the price of gas, insurance blah blah, but that's not usually what i would do. I would compare the parking vs the transit and the convenience that would come with either option.

I remember a few years ago, 4 of us went to a concert at rogers in December. Round trip would've been ~7 bucks each, for a total of $28. Instead we drove, which was faster (very little traffic at night) and much more comfortable and convenient, and parked for $20 nearby. Then we hit the car starter on the way out of rogers and walked over to our warmed up car and headed home vs waiting in the cold for the likely delayed LRT and then have to either have parked at a park and ride or take the bus home from the station. Turning a 20 minute car trip home, into a minimum 45 minute transit ride home.

Second, the destination, downtown, is not good enough to be hiking and charging parking at this time. An increase in parking is not going to encourage me to take transit to visit downtown. Instead, it's going to deter me from going downtown altogether. I can't wrap my head around this. I know the argument will be 'no one comes for the free/cheap parking', yes, fair enough, but struggling downtowns probably shouldn't be increasing parking fees when they can use all the visitors they can get. Because when the downtown doesn't have much else to offer, then maybe they will come for the free/cheap parking.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 7:47 PM
Community Guy

'Second, the destination, downtown, is not good enough to be hiking and charging parking at this time. An increase in parking is not going to encourage me to take transit to visit downtown. Instead, it's going to deter me from going downtown altogether. I can't wrap my head around this. I know the argument will be 'no one comes for the free/cheap parking', yes, fair enough, but struggling downtowns probably shouldn't be increasing parking fees when they can use all the visitors they can get. Because when the downtown doesn't have much else to offer, then maybe they will come for the free/cheap parking.'

Bingo

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 8:10 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slide View Post
^Personally speaking, im a big supporter of (good) transit, but our transit isnt good enough for the parking fee to push me towards using it for a night out downtown, and if im going with a few people, the parking might still come out cheaper than the bus ticket. I know you have to factor in the price of gas, insurance blah blah, but that's not usually what i would do. I would compare the parking vs the transit and the convenience that would come with either option.

I remember a few years ago, 4 of us went to a concert at rogers in December. Round trip would've been ~7 bucks each, for a total of $28. Instead we drove, which was faster (very little traffic at night) and much more comfortable and convenient, and parked for $20 nearby. Then we hit the car starter on the way out of rogers and walked over to our warmed up car and headed home vs waiting in the cold for the likely delayed LRT and then have to either have parked at a park and ride or take the bus home from the station. Turning a 20 minute car trip home, into a minimum 45 minute transit ride home.

Second, the destination, downtown, is not good enough to be hiking and charging parking at this time. An increase in parking is not going to encourage me to take transit to visit downtown. Instead, it's going to deter me from going downtown altogether. I can't wrap my head around this. I know the argument will be 'no one comes for the free/cheap parking', yes, fair enough, but struggling downtowns probably shouldn't be increasing parking fees when they can use all the visitors they can get. Because when the downtown doesn't have much else to offer, then maybe they will come for the free/cheap parking.
Agreed

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 1:37 PM
Community Guy

Curious to know if there was ever any pushback on this prior to this point...

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...eid=b81cde227f

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 11:14 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Curious to know if there was ever any pushback on this prior to this point...

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...eid=b81cde227f
You would think Puneeta would've been quite vocal with Councillor Stevenson about this change...

Old Posted Apr 15, 2023, 3:22 PM
Urbis Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
You would think Puneeta would've been quite vocal with Councillor Stevenson about this change...
Along with numerous other business owners. It's shocking they went ahead with this at this time. Push it back a year and revisit it then, ESPECIALLY, since we're (along with hundreds of other major cities) trying to get more people back downtown .

Old Posted Apr 16, 2023, 1:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMD UW View Post
Along with numerous other business owners. It's shocking they went ahead with this at this time. Push it back a year and revisit it then, ESPECIALLY, since we're (along with hundreds of other major cities) trying to get more people back downtown .
At the same time some business owners and landlords don’t do themselves any favours either. I had to see someone in the HSBC Tower Thursday so parked in the adjacent City Centre Parkade about 4:35. I went to one of their stations to pay for 1/2 hour parking and they wanted $15 as they’d already switched to flat rate event parking with no other options available. Needless to say I went back to my car and left to park elsewhere.

Old Posted May 30, 2023, 7:29 PM

Anyone familiar with the app called Hotspot Mobile a parking space app and for transit??? We are in Jasper for a vacation and the town is using this everywhere for parking. So we downloaded and put $10 on and are using it to park in the busy areas. Is there anyplace in Edmonton using Hotspot Mobile?

Old Posted May 30, 2023, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
Anyone familiar with the app called Hotspot Mobile a parking space app and for transit??? We are in Jasper for a vacation and the town is using this everywhere for parking. So we downloaded and put $10 on and are using it to park in the busy areas. Is there anyplace in Edmonton using Hotspot Mobile?
I dunno but the COE has Epark and it works exactly the same and is easy to use.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton