HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Apr 23, 2021, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
No, it has very little to do with politics, at least where I live.

I think most of this issue for me is being too agreeable for my own good sometimes.

By nature, I am NOT a boat rocker.

Hopefully, more sources talking about the pointlessness of outside masking will put a hole in the dam of the collective psychosis.
The Steely I know wouldn't give a rats ass about what people think of him walking down the street.....

If people give you crap, politely ask them to send you some peer reviewed scientific literature on how the virus spreads outdoors under different conditions.

This Steely that I see here though.... Must eat thin crust pizza from Dominoes because he's afraid he will drown in deep dish.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2021, 4:36 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
The Steely I know wouldn't give a rats ass about what people think of him walking down the street.....
then you don't know me at all.

i'm a textbook "go along to get along" type of person, especially with close-quarters neighbors. rocking the boat is the very antithesis of my entire being.

to my own detriment at times.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Apr 23, 2021 at 4:52 PM.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2021, 5:32 PM
Dryer lint inspector

The older I get, the less I care about what total strangers might think about me.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2021, 5:34 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
The older I get, the less I care about what total strangers might think about me.
i don't put neighbors and total strangers in the same category.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2021, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Permanently? What? Fuck that.
I think he meant that airlines require proof of vaccination. I would love that.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2021, 5:50 PM
The City

Quote:
i don't put neighbors and total strangers in the same category.
^ Well, I don't know what's going on in your hood but NOBODY in my neighborhood has worn a mask while walking around outside....probably ever

It was understood that we are far enough apart (and outdoors) that COVID risk is basically zero.

The only time I saw a bunch of mask wearing is this January at a busy sledding hill. Nearly all of the parents and kids were wearing masks because it was so crowded

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Apr 23, 2021, 5:57 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Well, I don't know what's going on in your hood but NOBODY in my neighborhood has worn a mask while walking around outside....probably ever
right.

you're way out in the burbs.

different mindset and physical environment out there (and i'm not talking about "political teams" here).

anyway, i just hope people in my neighborhood start wising up to the pointlessness of outdoor masking.

i guess i'm going to have to be the change i wish to see in my world.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Apr 23, 2021 at 6:15 PM.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2021, 6:23 PM
The City

^ Come to think of it, I do see many people wearing masks when they walk around our commercial (and walkable) main street in downtown Libertyville. That is where they are more likely to be in close quarters with other people.

I imagine that that environment is much more akin to yours and much of Chicago's neighborhoods.

But in my actual residential neighborhood where we have sidewalks and a park and people walking around, nobody has ever worn masks. But yes, it's WAY less dense here than where you live

Old Posted Apr 23, 2021, 6:28 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
^ Come to think of it, I do see many people wearing masks when they walk around our commercial (and walkable) main street in downtown Libertyville. That is where they are more likely to be in close quarters with other people.

I imagine that that environment is much more akin to yours and much of Chicago's neighborhoods.

But in my actual residential neighborhood where we have sidewalks and a park and people walking around, nobody has ever worn masks. But yes, it's WAY less dense here than where you live
yeah, I live in the loop and most people wear masks here. While just walking down the sidewalk is probably safe enough, waiting for crosswalk lights you can easily end up in a crowd.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2021, 6:35 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
But yes, it's WAY less dense here than where you live
yeah, that probably plays a part in it.

Lincoln Square census tracts tend to be in the 20K - 30K ppsm range.

Libertyville's are more like 1.5K - 3.5K ppsm.

in addition, not only are people packed more tightly here, they're also more likely to be out walking around in the first place compared to libertyville where the car is king.

so when you're out walking around on the side streets of my neighborhood, you simply cross paths with a lot more people than you would in residential libertyville.

no, it's certainly not times square or anything remotely like that, but it's at least an order of magnitude above typical suburbia, so that's all part of that different mindset i was talking about.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2021, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrow View Post
I think he meant that airlines require proof of vaccination. I would love that.
If this proof of vaccination is not integrated with the ID you use to fly, then this would just be another bottleneck at security and I am against it - just as I am against removing shoes and liquids from bags because the inconvenience outweighs the risk.

I think the Biden administration has already ruled out a national CV19 vaccination registry / “vaccine passport”.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Apr 24, 2021, 12:58 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
If this proof of vaccination is not integrated with the ID you use to fly, then this would just be another bottleneck at security and I am against it - just as I am against removing shoes and liquids from bags because the inconvenience outweighs the risk.

I think the Biden administration has already ruled out a national CV19 vaccination registry / “vaccine passport”.
Agreed. It would have to be electronically available like Global Entry/ TSA Pre info where the airlines/ TSA/ customs would already have your information before hand. I am going to Alaska in a few days and I have to bring my CDC card in case there's any drama with them wanting me to take a test or quarantine when I get there or get back.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2021, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dktshb View Post
I think it is pretty safe to assume that the person not wanting to wear a mask indoors and making a stink about it is more likely to be the person who is not vaccinated and won't get vaccinated and thinks they're young and/or healthy and invincible to covid. They likely don't care if they happen to infect others and probably claim covid is still a hoax.

Most people who have gotten vaccinated are probably okay with still wearing a mask indoors because it really isn't a big deal. Most understand in this Country dumb asses are going to pretend it is a big deal and their freedoms have been violated at the thought that they still have to wear a mask indoors and will use the "I have been vaccinated" as an excuse not to wear one when they indeed have not been vaccinated. So it probably is good to keep wearing them inside for all until enough people have been vaccinated that it is no longer an issue.

We're probably only talking a couple more months at most... that is unless this out of control situation in India doesn't create a super variant...
Strawman after strawman. Can yall stop doing that?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2021, 1:11 PM
The City

My eldest boy, an 11 year old in 6th grade, is going to take the bus and head to school for the first time in over a year this Monday

Old Posted Apr 25, 2021, 3:42 PM
The City

Just watched a movie with my 2 kids at a theatre for the first time in well over a year.

We wore masks but also pulled them down to eat popcorn, snacks, etc.

Theatre was nearly empty. Clearly people are still either very afraid, have not been vaccinated, or both. But a Saturday matinee for a blockbuster like Godzilla vs Kong should’ve been WAY busier.

Having the theatre nearly to ourselves (there were maybe 3 other families there) was pretty nice, though. I wonder how long this will last?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2021, 7:09 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
My eldest boy, an 11 year old in 6th grade, is going to take the bus and head to school for the first time in over a year this Monday
First time going to school at all in a year, or the first time taking the bus there in a year?

Either way, congrats! Getting our children back into their normal routines is a huge deal for all of us parents.

I took my kids on the el today for the first time since the pandemic began. We took the brown line down to the zoo. Everyone was still wisely masked on all the trains and buses we rode. Masks are also still required in the zoo. But walking around the park and the Lincoln Park neighborhood before and after, I was paying close attention to people on the paths and sidewalks, and while the vast majority were still walking around masked, I'd guesstimate maybe 20% of the folks I saw were walking around maskless.

So it's starting!

Old Posted Apr 25, 2021, 7:43 PM
The City

Quote:
First time going to school at all in a year, or the first time taking the bus there in a year?
Both, actually. Btw, none of my kids have ridden a school bus...ever. That changes tomorrow

Quote:
I took my kids on the el today for the first time since the pandemic began. We took the brown line down to the zoo. Everyone was still wisely masked on all the trains and buses we rode. Masks are also still required in the zoo. But walking around the park and the Lincoln Park neighborhood before and after, I was paying close attention to people on the paths and sidewalks, and while the vast majority were still walking around masked, I'd guesstimate maybe 20% of the folks I saw were walking around maskless.

So it's starting!
Very nice

I would say that there needs to be rhyme or reason to outdoor masking, as opposed to “getting a feel for what everybody is going”

In crowded outdoor areas masking makes sense until we have data showing that a significant majority of the public is vaccinated

Old Posted Apr 25, 2021, 7:53 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Both, actually. Btw, none of my kids have ridden a school bus...ever. That changes tomorrow
Very cool. Getting kids back in school is life altering.

Will your son be going to school all 5 days, or are they doing hybrid?

My son goes all 5 days to a private Montessori school, but my daughter is in kindergarten at CPS and she's only physically in school 2 days a week. It's a good start, but she needs to go all 5 days. That won't be happening until the next school year this fall.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2021, 11:40 PM
The City

Quote:
Very cool. Getting kids back in school is life altering.

Will your son be going to school all 5 days, or are they doing hybrid?

My son goes all 5 days to a private Montessori school, but my daughter is in kindergarten at CPS and she's only physically in school 2 days a week. It's a good start, but she needs to go all 5 days. That won't be happening until the next school year this fall.
School for both kids has been fully open 5 days per week

We opted for virtual mostly because of logistic issues with our adjusted work schedule. We actually want our kids back in school

However, my older son is in special ed and is struggling, literally the only kid doing virtual in some of his classes. He was frustrated and told us he really wanted to go to school. After a really bad week we spoke to his school and he will be going in 3 days a week. He will do virtual 2 days a week (again for logistic reasons, no other)

Suffice to say, I am thrilled. I want my kids back in the classroom!

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 12:25 AM
BANNED

All the local peeps I encounter say this: what Covid? True to the 100.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions