HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 4:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Here's the Purser Apts in this famous color image. over there - - - - - >

skyscraperpage
What gets me most about this pic is how in shape everyone is compared to today.

Btw. This is a great thread with excellent sleuthing

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 5:55 AM

AXminister 1-

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

I've found a time frame for Boureston's, but that's about all I can find. The following is from jassdancer.blogspot.com:
Boureston's is legendary among the greatest dancers to ever step foot on a floor in Los Angeles. Between the years 1943 and 1945, the weekly dance was the hottest location for the best to have their showdowns.
It must've been mentioned in the newspapers.

I've just noticed that their very similar matchbook has the phone number Axminister 9090.
An additional number was added to phone numbers in the early 50's if I remember correctly. City Hall used to be MIchigan 5211 then was changed to MIchagan 4-5211, ours was NOrmandy 1525 then became NOrmandy 1-1525, funny how you can remember all these numbers from 50-60-70 years ago but you forget your anniversay date.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 7:46 AM

Quote:
mystery location / mystery parade

LOS ANGELES CA California c1880 Cabinet Photo - Parade View

EBAY

The mountains in the background could possibly be a clue. (I'm not very good at matching up mountain ridges) -also note the large stone house behind the flagpole.

I aver that's Pasadena, e_r. Compare the mountains in your photo with those in this image looking north from the 134/210 interchange:

Google

Last edited by Flyingwedge; Feb 13, 2019 at 9:22 AM. Reason: added a preposition

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip View Post
What gets me most about this pic is how in shape everyone is compared to today.

Btw. This is a great thread with excellent sleuthing
"What gets me most about this pic is how in shape everyone is compared to today". Well, this is Muscle Beach, so you would expect most people to be in shape. Would be like going to a yoga studio today & conclude that people today are in shape. There were plenty of fat people and blubber in the 1950s just like now. Depends where you look. But maybe the prevalence of obesity today (especially in poor communities) is due to the availability of food stamps (now called SNAP)? Food is easily available even for the poor, more than it was before the 1960s. So underfed and skinny people may be less common today, so maybe you are correct.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 3:12 PM

Obesity is really more common now than it was back then.

Even when I was a kid, it seemed there weren't too many fat people. And when you saw one, they really stood out. When I was in elementary school, which was in the mid 70s-early 80s, there was only 1 fat kid in the class, and again, he stood out. And he wasn't even really fat, just "chubby."

Today, fat kids seem to be common, and nobody seems fazed by it.

I'm thinking because there's more fast food restaurants out there than ever, and people just don't cook at home... or when they do, they use processed food like instant potatoes or whatever. Not only is this contributing to obesity but also higher rates of diseases like cancer and high blood pressure. At a previous job I had, quite a number of people would bring those instant microwavable lunches to work and eat that for lunch. I'm sure those are really high in sodium and preservatives. I couldn't imagine doing that all the time.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 6:38 PM

Don't forget that portion sizes today are larger than they were 50 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post

Even when I was a kid, it seemed there weren't too many fat people. And when you saw one, they really stood out. When I was in elementary school, which was in the mid 70s-early 80s, there was only 1 fat kid in the class, and again, he stood out. And he wasn't even really fat, just "chubby."

I'm thinking because there's more fast food restaurants out there than ever, and people just don't cook at home... or when they do, they use processed food like instant potatoes or whatever. Not only is this contributing to obesity but also higher rates of diseases like cancer and high blood pressure. At a previous job I had, quite a number of people would bring those instant microwavable lunches to work and eat that for lunch. I'm sure those are really high in sodium and preservatives. I couldn't imagine doing that all the time.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge View Post
I aver that's Pasadena, e_r. Compare the mountains in your photo with those in this image looking north from the 134/210 interchange:

Thanks FW.
It's been awhile since I posted the parade pic. I was beginning to think we weren't going to figure this one out.

I believe your mountain ridges match up perfectly.

I wonder if the open area behind the many carriages could possibly be Brookside Park. (OK. I looked at the old sepia again. I don't think it's anywhere near Brookside Park)

Brookside is near the interchange you mentioned (just a bit north and to the left). The mountains would appear the same there as well.

google earth

If we could only find the distinctive building behind the flagpole (in the old cabinet card). -slightly LARGER image HERE

Come on minions! We can do this!
__

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 11:35 PM

The Oct. 25, 1937 murder of L.A. wiseguy Les Bruneman was briefly covered in a couple of posts way back on pg. 425, but I don't believe we have seen the exterior of the murder location...a photo from that same year:

Getty Museum

Roost Cafe, 2700 W. Temple St.

Bruneman was having a late dinner with his nurse (he was still recovering from gunshot wounds received in a hit that July outside of the Surf Club, a joint he owned in Redondo Beach)....a waiter in the cafe, who ran out to get the license plate of the getaway car, was also killed....J.H. Graham tells us the Bruneman story here:

https://jhgraham.com/2017/03/23/geor...man-1897-1937/

The Roost Cafe was the scene of another killing, this one a botched robbery on 6/26/53, featured in James Ellroy's photo-essay book "L.A.P.D. '53" and recently covered here in the thread.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomara View Post
Don't forget that portion sizes today are larger than they were 50 years ago.
And people walked more, now they drive.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 3:24 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Here's the Purser Apts in this famous color image. over there - - - - - >

skyscraperpage

moonbeam

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 3:37 AM

[QUOTE=BifRayRock;7602593][COLOR="Indigo"][SIZE="3"][FONT="Tahoma"]

Looking north on Highland (late '40s). Notice Muntz TV, far right. No listing available. Can anyone place the exact address?

W&P

=====

This is roughly 50-100 feet north of Santa Monica Blvd. My grandmother worked for a time at that butcher place immediately north (reads Beverly Hills on side of building) of Muntz.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 7:13 AM

Quote:
Thanks FW.
It's been awhile since I posted the parade pic. I was beginning to think we weren't going to figure this one out.

I believe your mountain ridges match up perfectly.

I wonder if the open area behind the many carriages could possibly be Brookside Park. (OK. I looked at the old sepia again. I don't think it's anywhere near Brookside Park)

Brookside is near the interchange you mentioned (just a bit north and to the left). The mountains would appear the same there as well.

google earth

If we could only find the distinctive building behind the flagpole (in the old cabinet card). -slightly LARGER image HERE

Come on minions! We can do this!
__

Maybe the same parade??

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 7:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BifRayRock View Post

Looking north on Highland (late '40s). Notice Muntz TV, far right. No listing available. Can anyone place the exact address?

W&P

=====

This is roughly 50-100 feet north of Santa Monica Blvd. My grandmother worked for a time at that butcher place immediately north (reads Beverly Hills on side of building) of Muntz.
Both buildings appear to have survived, as well the next few north of the building occupied by the butcher place. The building that appears to be the same one as Muntz in the original photo is at 1136 N. Highland.

1136 N. Highland by Kimberly, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 11:43 AM

Yay Sopas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post

Sopas, you speak the truth. What you say resonates deeply with my molars.

I've recently gone through an aortic valve replacement dictated by nothing but a birth defect. The corrective operation left me functionally healthy but in a position where I must eat obsessively healthily in order to get back on track, and the fact is that to do that I am forced to eat home cooking constantly in order to avoid excess salt and sugar.

And let me emphasize that even now I have no vascular damage. I have never had a cholesterol issue, and I have NO plaque blockage.

Heart issues can frag you violently at any point, despite your best efforts. They can lead to both stroke and lung issues well before the true source is determined. Don't ask me how I know.

The bottom line is that if you want to live and love as long as you can, eat to live--as opposed to living to eat. And I want all of you to live as long as you can. ESPECIALLY you all. I depend upon you daily.

The loving is at your discretion.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 1:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis Criblecoblis View Post
Sopas, you speak the truth. What you say resonates deeply with my molars.

I've recently gone through an aortic valve replacement dictated by nothing but a birth defect. The corrective operation left me functionally healthy but in a position where I must eat obsessively healthily in order to get back on track, and the fact is that to do that I am forced to eat home cooking constantly in order to avoid excess salt and sugar.

And let me emphasize that even now I have no vascular damage. I have never had a cholesterol issue, and I have NO plaque blockage.

Heart issues can frag you violently at any point, despite your best efforts. They can lead to both stroke and lung issues well before the true source is determined. Don't ask me how I know.

The bottom line is that if you want to live and love as long as you can, eat to live--as opposed to living to eat. And I want all of you to live as long as you can. ESPECIALLY you all. I depend upon you daily.

The loving is at your discretion.
All of us live and also experience the wear-and-tear of life. Not much we can do about that but to try and live as healthy as possible, as you say you are doing. Good for you Otis and all of us.

setembro

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Feb 14, 2019 at 2:03 PM.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 4:06 PM

I second the e-motion.

With a touch of Lemmon.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodin View Post
Maybe the same parade??

It appears they might just be posing for a photograph.

I believe the uniforms are a match Bodin! Thanks so much. I appreciate your help.

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Feb 14, 2019 at 10:09 PM.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 10:54 PM

While I was looking through Pasadena pics (searching for white band uniforms) I happened upon this photograph in a PDF.

It appears to show a single family home (or pool house?) next to a defunct swimming pool.

PDF undated / unlabeled

Is this the remnants of the old Brookside Park swimming pool?

__

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 11:31 PM

The Pasadena marching men - the Americus Club.

Google Books - Early Pasadena

Google Books - Early Pasadena

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 12:22 AM

Quote:
While I was looking through Pasadena pics (searching for white band uniforms) I happened upon this photograph in a PDF.

It appears to show a single family home (or pool house?) next to a defunct swimming pool.

Is this the remnants of the old Brookside Park swimming pool?

__
I don't think Brookside ever extended south of the Colorado Street bridge, that's Lower Arroyo Park.

Google Maps

The little building(poolhouse) still seems to be there(at least the size and shape is the same) and is the Pasadena Casting Club.

ETA: Being a good minion, I went back to look at what the Pasadena Casting Club was. It's Casting related to fishing, no casting couch. The building in ER's photo is the same one that's currently there, looking at the street view. The "swimming pool" is what the club used for casting, it seems to be bigger now than in ER's photo.

Last edited by BillinGlendaleCA; Feb 15, 2019 at 5:34 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos