HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 3:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
GREAT shot, HossC. The more I poke around, the more I'm convinced that the Louise and the Cortez were one and the same. Perhaps a little more corroborative info is in the Times ad below indicating a construction date of 1925, which matches the assessor's not necessarily accurate information for the current 375 Columbia: "Year built: 1925/Effective year built (usually indicating a major remodel): 1930". 61 units are listed--"61 beds/61 baths".... Not definite, but I'd say probable.

LAT Aug 12, 1925

Now the holy grail would be a picture of the building as the Louise...EXCEPT, now that I look more closely at your shot above, I wonder if we are looking at the Louise. The sign on top of the building now addressed 375 Columbia might say "HOTEL LOUISE"...with a script "L" trailing under the "OUISE"... vs. the Cortez's sign:

Some time ago y'all might remember a whole lot of talk and query about the Louise, and if/how it became the Cortez, and how it morphed from 439 to 375 Columbia.

The whole address business is still a mystery, but I did unearth a postcard of the Louise, postmarked March 1928:

A later card:

The permit is granted in October of '24; the owner is Louise Chatt, the architect, Charles B. Martin. The exterior is of brick, stucco, and "art stone." 439 still comes up as an address there under permits as late as 1930 (there's one there for an awning) but by 1935 it comes up as 375. There's a 1935 permit pulled to do some re-stucco work including "removing disintegrated portions of ornam." So it appears the "art stone" didn't survive a decade. Those sculpted figures don't seem to be there in the second postcard.

It's quite a structure. I confess I haven't the first idea who Charles Martin was or what he else did. There was a contemporary CBM up in Portland, who designed an industrial school for the deaf there about that time, but that's all I could dig up.

Lookee here! There's even a remnant of the Louise over the door! Per the latest GSV.

Last edited by Beaudry; Jan 8, 2016 at 11:23 PM.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 5:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
'mystery' location for a Thursday night.

eBay
Did anyone notice that with just a liiiitle readjustment the logo on the front of the bus, under the window, is a swastika?

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 6:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfredmertz View Post
Did anyone notice that with just a liiiitle readjustment the logo on the front of the bus, under the window, is a swastika?
No, but I have seen it modified with the addition of a snails head.

Cheers,
Jack

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 1:23 PM

Quote:

then i thought maybe we were seeing this portion in the Keaton movie.

gsv
Green paint is obviously popular along Echo Park Avenue - this house is on the corner of Baxter Street, just a block north of the house above. Initially I thought it had a porte-cochère, but when I got closer, I realized that there isn't an entrance on the side of the house. I'm guessing that they just extended it over the driveway to maintain access to the rear. I have to admit, that 'boattail' Riviera also caught my eye .

GSV

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfredmertz View Post
Looks more like the insignia on the Crocker bank sign

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 8:23 PM

Thanks for identifying the Hotel Shoreham in yesterday's Shulman pictures, GW. I had planned to look for those towers myself, but forgot!

----------------

Today's Julius Shulman photoset shows the 1955 Transport Indemnity Building at 3670 Wilshire Boulevard. A realtor by the name of Paul Mintz is to the right Transport Indemnity Building, and the block is completed by a Standard Oil station at Serrano. This is "Job 2218: Transport Indemnity Building Offices (Los Angeles, Calif.),1956".
NB. I've omitted the second picture in the set because it duplicates the first from further away, and only adds dark vegetation.

Both from Getty Research Institute

GW mentions the Transport Indemnity Building in a detailed post about 651 South Hobart Boulevard on his Wilshire Boulevard Houses Blog. The building was apparently demolished in 2005 to make way for a redevelopment which is still yet to happen! Here it is on a 2004 aerial view - the 2005 image was taken after the site was cleared.

Historic Aerials

The site is currently being used as a parking lot.

GSV

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 9:02 PM

Visible at far right in the top shot is Berl Berry Lincoln-Mercury at 3700 Wilshire, which we've seen here before. (Note the beginning of the Lincoln script above the arch....)

Julius Shulman/from NLA post 16762

Here's another post on it:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=16757

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Feb 11, 2016 at 3:56 PM.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 9:25 PM

I'm not sure if this resource, a perspective map of Los Angeles from 1894, had been referenced yet. This is from the Library of Congress:

http://www.loc.gov/resource/g4364l.pm000280/

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 9:27 PM

Quote:

Visible at far right in the top shot is Berl Berry Lincoln-Mercury at 3700 Wilshire, which we've seen here before. (Note the beginning of the Lincoln script above the arch....)
You have sharp eyes, GW. Here's an enlargement from the original. They're advertising the new '56 Mercury for $1999. It also includes a better look at the Standard Oil station and Paul Mintz and Associates.

Detail of image from Getty Research Institute

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 9:36 PM

I just located the earlier post that shows the mystery market on Echo Part Avenue. (the other arrow is pointing to the green house)

Quote:

GSV with help from oldstuff

& here's the mystery photograph showing the same market (at far left).

ebay

Although it's been painted over, you can still see the word MARKET above the large door on the right. (it's the same lettering that's visible in the 1940s photo)

detail / GSV

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 8, 2016 at 10:42 PM.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 10:14 PM

'mystery' location

The negative for this photograph was on eBay a couple months ago.

If I remember correctly, the seller mentioned Glendale (as well as Los Angeles)

It looks like there might be a diagonal track crossing the two parallel tracks.
__

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 10:28 PM

I seem to remember that out on San Fernando Rd, south of the confluence of the Arroyo Seco and the River, but it's been a long time since I was out that way.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 10:31 PM

I'll have to check out that area. -thanks t2

A cozy bar interior. (1940s?)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bob-Daltons-...-/151879331525

Bob Dalton's Elbow Room, 1056 S. La Cienega Blvd. Los Angeles CA

And here's the dining area. (Charcoal Broiler)

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 9, 2016 at 3:15 PM.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2016, 2:42 AM

Quote:
'mystery' location

If I remember correctly, the seller mentioned Glendale (as well as Los Angeles)

It looks like there might be a diagonal track crossing the two parallel tracks.
__
I'm gonna go out on a limb here.

First, I want to believe that this is shot at the intersection of San Fernando Road and Doran St looking SSE, just past the 134 Ventura Freeway overpass. I used to shop at an industrial supply place on Doran around there in the 1980's, and I think the Levitz sign was at that location, even though the Levitz building was further south.

Second, along the lines of Levitz and the diagonal spur, this could also be at a crossing that no longer exists, further SSE from Doran, where Cutter St meets W San Fernando Road on the west side of the tracks, and where W California Ave meets San Fernando road on the east side of the tracks.

The Levitz may have been where Cutter and Exchange come together, where Cinelease stands. The Cinelease roof sign kinda has a Levitz feel to it, though the size and shape aren't completely true.

Or, I might just be having a stoke.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2016, 3:42 AM

Quote:

A cozy bar interior. (1940s?)

Bob Dalton's Elbow Room, 1056 S. La Cienega Blvd. Los Angeles CA

And here's the dining area. (Charcoal Broiler)

The Elbow Room was going by late 1944 for sure. It had a fire in Jan. 1945 and had to move out temporarily to Pico & La Cienega. It was back at 1056 a few months later as planned.

LAT 1-1945

1956 S. La Cienega had become the Devonshire Inn by 1952.

Then it was the Frascatti Inn in the Frascati mini-chain as of 1954.
1956 LAT.

Interior as Frascatti Inn:
ebay.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2016, 3:59 AM

Quote:
No to be confused with the hill from.....

"What, No Beer?" (1933)

my screengrabs

Thanks for trying Hoss.
I was sure John Bengtson at 'silentlocations' would have covered this particular location....but as far as I can tell, he hasn't.

The area at the bottom of the 'mystery' hill is a bit unusual with the two parallel streets (in front and behind the grocery store)
It's interesting that the back street is a good deal higher than the street that runs in front of the store.

Again, thanks for trying.
__

I've been in touch with John Bengtson about What—No Beer?-- he emailed me what he knows about the barrel scene: "I know that the grocery store at the bottom of the hill, that the truck crashes through, was a set, built in the intersection." (Now I see that the store set was actually built in the intersection. This would also explain the appearance of the billboard for another MGM film, Grand Hotel, released the year before.) He notes that while there is a street sign visible, it isn't clear enough to read in available prints.

It looks like twin-lamp streetlights are at the top of the hill--they look to me as though they could be the type once found on Hollywood Boulevard, and, I believe Franklin--but following those streets and others I haven't found any street alignments or topography that might be possibilities. Someone here will find it though.

LAPL

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Jan 9, 2016 at 12:14 PM.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2016, 8:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
The Levitz may have been where Cutter and Exchange come together, where Cinelease stands. The Cinelease roof sign kinda has a Levitz feel to it, though the size and shape aren't completely true.

Or, I might just be having a stroke.
No. LOL. We're talking about the same place. And I just found this still lurking on the web:

losangeles.com

I cannot recall now why I used to go out that way. Bleak.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2016, 2:37 PM

Quote:

'mystery' location

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post

I seem to remember that out on San Fernando Rd, south of the confluence of the Arroyo Seco and the River, but it's been a long time since I was out that way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwize View Post

First, I want to believe that this is shot at the intersection of San Fernando Road and Doran St looking SSE, just past the 134 Ventura Freeway overpass. I used to shop at an industrial supply place on Doran around there in the 1980's, and I think the Levitz sign was at that location, even though the Levitz building was further south.

Second, along the lines of Levitz and the diagonal spur, this could also be at a crossing that no longer exists, further SSE from Doran, where Cutter St meets W San Fernando Road on the west side of the tracks, and where W California Ave meets San Fernando road on the east side of the tracks.

There may well have been one of those Levitz Furniture signs at Doran Street (the number of ways to cross the railroad tracks is limited), but I think we're looking south at the intersection of W San Fernando Road and Brazil Street. Here's the view in July 2014 when the crossing was temporarily blocked. The signs on the east side of the tracks at this time indicated that access to Brazil Street was via a diversion to Doran Street.

GSV

Just a few months earlier, in February 2014, the spur tracks were still visible where they crossed W San Fernando Road.

GSV

Going back to August 2011, the crossing was much more open, and the small shed just over the fence was yet to be built.

GSV

Across the tracks, Brazil Street becomes W Broadway. I think that the building on the far left of e_r's picture is still there. It's currently Frank's Burgers at 740 W Broadway.

GSV

I found the image below on a blog called Atwater Village Newbie. It confirms the location of Levitz Furniture at Cutter and Exchange. Looking at Historic Aerials, I'd say that Cinelease is in the same building.

Atwater Village Newbie on flickr

Old Posted Jan 9, 2016, 4:10 PM

Quote:
I've been in touch with John Bengtson about What—No Beer?-- he emailed me what he knows about the barrel scene: "I know that the grocery store at the bottom of the hill, that the truck crashes through, was a set, built in the intersection." (Now I see that the store set was actually built in the intersection. This would also explain the appearance of the billboard for another MGM film, Grand Hotel, released the year before.) He notes that while there is a street sign visible, it isn't clear enough to read in available prints.

It looks like twin-lamp streetlights are at the top of the hill--they look to me as though they could be the type once found on Hollywood Boulevard, and, I believe Franklin--but following those streets and others I haven't found any street alignments or topography that might be possibilities. Someone here will find it though.
"The store was actually built in the intersection." This had never occurred to me! Good sleuthing GaylordWilshire.

& thanks for contacting John Bengtson.
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 9, 2016 at 7:17 PM.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2016, 6:26 PM

"You'll Love It at Levitz"

Thanks Hoss

google maps

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos