HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 5:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Fantastic post Wig_Wag. I love your 1977 photographs. (esp. the façade of the .terminal cocktail lounge)

Here's the same corner in 1933.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=14921

-a little closer
ER, thanks for the before pictures, with matching angles no less!

Cheers,
Jack

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 6:08 AM

courtesy of HossC via USC

Also of interest (to me at least) in this photo: that circular imprint on the opposite corner where Simon's Sandwiches once stood. I'd prefer to have had that structure preserved over Johnie's. While I am a fan of Googie architecture, I think the empty diner that now stands there is not a particularly noteworthy example of the style.

A friend and I ate at Johnie's once when it was still operational. We both experienced the worst diner food and the worst service of our lives.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 2:17 PM

I'm sure we've seen this 1940 picture of the May Co before, but it ties in with recent posts.

USC Digital Library

On the right is the Simon's, as mentioned by Handsome Stranger. There's a better picture of that in post #212. On the left is the building that became Geller's Theatre Workshop. I can't read the signage, but the text on the pylon seems to be three letters and then four, so going by the clipping I posted yesterday, I'm guessing it says "Ben Bard".

Detail of picture above.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 2:19 PM

Quote:

I finally found a better postcard of the elusive Hotel Cordova. (the date is 1915)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Los-Angeles-...-8th-Figueroa-
Streets-1915-PPIE-Cancel-/381088841558?pt=Postcards_US&hash=item58baaa3f56

Have we seen it in photographs? The search function says 'NO'.
I found this 1925 aerial view which includes the Hotel Cordova. It's still hard to spot, so I've arrowed it. Along 7th Street at the base of the picture are the Martz Flats and early construction on the Barker Bros building.

Detail of picure in USC Digital Library

Here's the full picture.

USC Digital Library

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 3:41 PM

Octagonal tiling outside the Vine St Brown Derby

We've probably seen this shot of the Vine St Brown Derby before (Life magazine, 1937) but I'm posting it for a detail I've never noticed before: the octagonal pattern carved into the sidewalk out front. Does anyone know if that went all the way up Vine Street? Or throughout Hollywood? Or was it just a "Brown Derby kinda thing"...?

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

I'm sure we've seen this 1940 picture of the May Co before, but it ties in with recent posts.

USC Digital Library

On the right is the Simon's, as mentioned by Handsome Stranger. There's a better picture of that in post #212. On the left is the building that became Geller's Theatre Workshop. I can't read the signage, but the text on the pylon seems to be three letters and then four, so going by the clipping I posted yesterday, I'm guessing it says "Ben Bard".

Detail of picture above.
Very cool. Ben Bard's wife, until her death, was actress Ruth Roland and she owned some real estate on Wilshire, called Roland Square. I think his theater was built on part of her holdings but am not sure.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 5:18 PM

Quote:

The "Mule & Horse Markets" appear on the 1921 Baist map.

www.historicmapworks.com
Following on from the picture of the mule yard on Lyon Street that I posted yesterday, here are the U.S. Stables at 355 Aliso Street. The building can be seen near the top of the 1921 Baist map above. The seller dates the picture at 1923. I'm sure the mules and horses would've been traded at the nearby markets.

eBay

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 5:23 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinTurnbull View Post
We've probably seen this shot of the Vine St Brown Derby before (Life magazine, 1937) but I'm posting it for a detail I've never noticed before: the octagonal pattern carved into the sidewalk out front. Does anyone know if that went all the way up Vine Street? Or throughout Hollywood? Or was it just a "Brown Derby kinda thing"...?

Here is a view of Vine Street just north of the Derby. I suspect that octagonal pattern was a Derby innovation. I lived in Hollywood for a while and I don't remember that pattern as typical.

water and power .org

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 8:33 PM

While I was going through the possible locations of a house in a picture I found on eBay, I spotted a roof sign from the Googlemobile. It turned out to be atop Jensen's Recreation Center on Sunset at Logan. A quick search didn't find any previous mentions.

GSV

Jensen's Recreation Center opened in 1924, and originally included 46 apartments, a bowling alley and a billiard room. It was built by Henry Christian Jensen, a German immigrant who made his fortune making bricks. His other buildings include Jensen’s Theatorium in Echo Park and Jensen’s Raymond Theater in Pasadena. The clipping below is from the Los Angeles Times, April 27, 1924.

LA Times via www.kcet.org

Here's a picture of the bowling alley as it used to be.

Mary-Austin & Scott on flickr

I can't keep e_r in suspense and longer - here's a close-up of the roof sign.

www.roadarch.com

The text still lights up, but the animated bowler has seen better days. I found a couple of videos of it on YouTube - see here and here.

www.roadarch.com

The provisionally good news is that the building was sold just a couple of weeks ago for $15 million, and the new owners have pledged to fix the sign. Despite the building escaping the attention of NLA, there's been quite a bit written about it. Here's a small selection:

la.curbed.com - Echo Park's Jensen's Rec Building Has Sold, Sign Will Be Fixed

www.latimes.com - Echo Park landmark Jensen's Recreation Center sold

historicechopark.org - Jensen's Recreation Center

www.kcet.org - Sign of the Times III: Henry C. Jensen, the Cunning Capitalist of L.A.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 8:52 PM

That rooftop sign is about as good as it gets. I hope they restore it to the point where the bowler rolls the ball and strikes the pins. That would be fantastic to see again.
__

below: Grauman's Chinese Theater 1955

eBay

I see someone wearing Jane Russell's hat from 'Macao'.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Dec 17, 2014 at 9:06 PM.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 9:26 PM

LOL, e_r!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinTurnbull View Post

Martin, no, this photo has not been posted before! On Dec. 3rd I did a post about the Brown Derby where I wrote:

I have been looking for a LIFE magazine photo that I saw once (I remember it said LIFE in the corner) that was taken on the sidewalk outside of the Brown Derby at night, close, and showing from the sidewalk angle both the Brown Derby neon and the Bamboo Room neon. What was interesting to me that I did not know...if you look in the arch of the entrance in the above photo, you see white squares. Those are all lights that lit up the arch and are beautifully visible in that photo. Not sure why I can't find it.

This is the photo, you found it! Thanks for posting it!

I went back to my original post and inserted this photo into it:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=24904

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 9:52 PM

Well, I did say "someone got it wrong" and I was totally willing to believe it was BBC. Great follow up! Great new photo! Also, wouldn't it be great if the Peterson had a recreation of that old service station as a display? I don't recall seeing something like that last time I was there.

amy!

Quote:

It looks like the BBC got it wrong when they recreated the picture frame billboard shot. I guess they took the information "at the corner of Fairfax and Wilshire Boulevard, directly across from The May Company", and picked the wrong corner. The picture below shows an auto accident in 1952 (the year that 'Macao' was released). The camera is pointing roughly southeast, and looking across Wilshire from outside May Co. The building on the left still stands - it's now the 'Architecture and Design Museum > Los Angeles' at 6032 Wilshire Boulevard.

USC Digital Library

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amybang View Post

Also, wouldn't it be great if the Peterson had a recreation of that old service station as a display? I don't recall seeing something like that last time I was there.
You can take a 2012 tour of three floors of the Petersen Automotive Museum using Google Streetview. They don't have a recreation of the service station that was once on their site, but they do (did?) have this Richfield service station.

GSV

Until recently you could also have seen their slightly scaled down version of the Bulldog Cafe.

GSV

Just like the original, the Petersen's Bulldog has had to make way for something more modern. That could've been the end, but preservationist Bobby Green stepped in and saved it. You can read the story at blog.hemmings.com. The Bulldog Cafe's new home will be the patio of the restored Idle Hour Cafe on Vineland Avenue when it reopens next year. We discussed the Idle Hour Cafe in October - see post #24095, post #24100 and post #24107.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 11:58 PM

Cool Somewhat obscure . . .

[QUOTE=Wig-Wag;6846986]jtown's post on the One Santa Fe residential/commercial complex reminded me of a piece I posted to a railroad site a while back and I thought it might amuse some NLA viewers.

This is easily one of the main reasons I keep coming back to this forum. Man, what a treasury of knowledge you all have. Thanks for the Terminal Cafe pics, Wig-Wag!

Around the corner from my office are a set of brick buildings which seem to have a long history in LA. The Newberry Lofts, as they are now called was once the warehouse of the JR Newberry Company.

In a 1909 hand-drawn map, the Newberry's Groceries identifies the building on First and Vignes, just west of the 1st Street bridge.

Detail from: http://www.bigmapblog.com/2013/birds...angeles-calif/

The magazine Out West: A Magazine of the Old Pacific and the New, Volume 1 By Charles Fletcher Lummis shows a Newberry's handbill from their 1910 edition. Notice the final listing on the handbill for their warehouse and shipping department:

https://books.google.com/books?id=yN...201910&f=false

The current structure remains a fixture at the corner of 1st Street and Vignes and has been converted to the Newberry Lofts.

http://www.newberrylofts.com/gallery/

I seem to be surrounded by bits and pieces of Old Los Angeles. In part because of the proximity of my office to the LA River and to the tracks. But also, I think that this section of town seems to have been overlooked by the "progressives" of the 50's and 60's. The Arts District is the focal point of much of the current redevelopment of LA and will hopefully bring new life into the community that is the civic center, Little Tokyo, the River District.

I hope to do some exploring over the next weeks when the Christmas rush slows down. There's a lot to see around here.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 1:33 AM

That's such a nice looking building jtown. I look forward to seeing what you discover during your Christmas slow-time.
_______

"21318 S. Alameda Street, Carson CA. -1935."

There are three photographs in this series at USC. -be sure to pan right to see the third photo--->

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/co...id/78595/rec/1
______

Believe it or not, a majority of these somewhat ramshackle buildings have survived.

The Dutch Inn

..and today.

GSV

The side windows convinced me that this is the old Dutch Inn. There are 3 large windows followed by two smaller windows.

below: A 'front on' view.

GSV

above: The building I've circled (at far left) is the old McGehee Market

-here's a closer view of the market back in 1935.

and today.

GSV
___

Now let's look in the opposite direction.

below: The building that I've circled is still standing as well.

-here it is today.

GSV

-fun little discoveries.
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Dec 18, 2014 at 3:59 PM.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 1:49 AM

...I almost forgot.

There is a mysterious poster in the window of the building between McGehee Market and the Dutch Inn.

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/co...id/78595/rec/1

I've been trying to 'decipher' it. (it's a bit scary looking)

-here's a close-up.

detail

Do any of you noirishers have any idea what this is advertising? -remember the year is 1935.
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Dec 18, 2014 at 2:02 AM.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 2:18 AM

Quote:
Could this be the back of the picture frame billboard (arrowed) in a 1954 Dick Whittington aerial? It's exactly where Handsome Stranger's transcript describes. I can't find a drama school on S Orange Grove Avenue in the CDs, but the building to the right of my arrow seems to match the building in e_r's picture. The shadow of the arrowed structure appears to show what could be the lighting bar from e_r's picture.

Detail of picture in USC Digital Library

In 1962 the site became the home of Japanese store SEIBU, which became Ohrbach's in 1964. It's now the Petersen Automotive Museum. You can see more about these in post #6275 by GW and post #6277 by e_r. I think the first picture in GW's post (below) may also show the picture frame billboard, but it's quite small.

HossC's Wilshire-Fairfax 1954 image shows a surprising amount of undeveloped area. Wilshire still has unimproved lots with billboards.

Focusing on the area later occupied by Britts Department store (now possibly KMart) south of the Farmer's Market and west of the then-Market Basket Grocery Store. http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=9136 I am assuming that the area toward the bottom of the image is a large playground for the Hancock Elementary School (408 Fairfax, estatblished 1937). But if I did not know better, the "dots" resemble four-legged residents of a small dairy farm. (Have we seen images of the dairy farms that evidently "dotted" the Fairfax area?)

Looks like Market Basket's architecture has been retained by Ross Store.

http://beverlypress.com/wp-content/u...0/10/Ross1.gif

Market Basket (Fullerton) for comparison purposes.

Of course, the huge advertising broadside was not unique to Market Basket Grocery Stores.

http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/def...?itok=BqP6WRHl

http://wesclark.com/burbank/gelsons.jpg

McDaniels (Oxnard)
http://groceteria.com/forboard/oxnard.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img267/8921/a...antflickr1.jpg http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=9413

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 2:49 AM

Further north on Fairfax Ave is the Silent Movie Theater (611 N Fairfax) which I believe has received NLA mention. I don't recall seeing this image on NLA. Notice the Fairfax Theater in distance.

CIrca early-miod '40s. Fairfax Ave looking south from Beverly Blvd.
http://waterandpower.org/1%20Historic%20Photos%201
/Silent_Movie.jpg

Silent Movie ca '42
https://secure.static.tumblr.com/793...atic__1280.jpg

http://www.findadeath.com/Deceased/a...vietheater.htm

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 2:54 AM

Quote:

There is a mysterious poster in the window of the building between McGehee Market and the Dutch Inn.

I've been trying to 'decipher' it. (it's a bit scary looking)

detail

Do any of you noirishers have any idea what this is advertising? -remember the year is 1935.
It looks like it was part of a 1930s/1940s craze for midnight ghost shows. They were basically spooky magic shows at theaters which included things like seances, spirit slate writing and ghostly apparitions. This poster appears to be for Dr U L di Ghilini, who was described as a Hollywood mystic on one site I found. I think the white word above his name is part of the phrase "in person". The text above the skeleton's head says "Do the dead return?". I can't decipher all the text at the top, but it looks like the venue was an unreadable auditorium, and the date was Sun Sept 15 (which is correct for 1935).

I found the quote below on www.redlandsdailyfacts.com. It gives a description of the same show just three days earlier:

Sept. 12, 1935

The time for a seance with "spirits" is midnight, and tonight at the zero hour of 12 o'clock, a frolic with "spooks" will take place on the stage of the Fox Redlands theater, when Dr. U.L. di Ghilini, famous investigator of spiritualistic phenomena reproduces two entirely different types of seances. No attraction in months is causing the comment, and the discussion that surrounds the appearance of the celebrated Dr. di Ghilini in person, on this occasion. The "ghost" show follows the usual theater picture program, and after the exit of the regular show at 11:15 p.m., the doors will be closed for 15 minutes and then reopened.

Here's a poster for another of Dr di Ghilini's shows:

www.liveauctioneers.com

You can read more about this type of entertainment in an article called The Rise and Fall of the Midnight Ghost Shows.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 4:16 AM

Just to add a bit to HossC's masterful decoding of that poster, the venue was the Long Beach Municipal Auditorium, from what I can decipher.

Oh, and to bring this back to things noir, the film Fallen Angel, a noir starring Dana Andrews, Alice Faye and Linda Darnell, features a di Ghilini-type character, played by John Carradine, who conducts a "spirit seance" much as HossC describes.

Last edited by Otis Criblecoblis; Dec 18, 2014 at 4:27 AM. Reason: the opportunity plus I messed up the film title

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos