HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 5:46 PM

delete

Last edited by nick.flood; Feb 5, 2016 at 6:47 PM.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.flood View Post
It's a shame we're losing one of the best and most quiet public spaces in the CBD. The SE corner of the 3rd floor Lancaster building was a my favourite spot to take a break, in a historic space, overlooking Stephen Ave.
So go the the historic Old Central Library and revel in the quiet solitude of that old, dark, windowless concrete box while security chases drunks out of the children's section. I don't see what your issue is here...

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 9:02 PM

I know people are hating on the Simons redevelopment, but I'm excited to see it arrive. I love the one in Edmonton and I'm glad they chose a central location to build one here. I could have pictured them easily trying to find a location in any of the malls, but they chose to be downtown. As someone who live inner city, I appreciate that I don't have to drive around for 20 minutes trying to find parking at Chinook and can walk to the store instead.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 9:34 PM

delete

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 10:12 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

I didn't really understand CalgaryAlex's response, you lament the loss of a quiet space overlooking a historic pedestrian mall, and he responds why do you care when there is another quiet space with no windows and security issues.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Huh? Why suggest now that the Lancaster is becoming a multi-level retail space you sarcastically suggest I go to the library, that wouldn't even make the top 10 of places downtown to take a 1/2hr break between meetings? Trying to be suburbia 2.0?
I was just... like, joking. As in, agreeing with you by saying that indeed, there are not too many relaxing indoor public areas to choose from (since the library is crap and not a good alternative). My reference to drunks really should have set that flag off. Sorry man, didn't mean to push your buttons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
I didn't really understand CalgaryAlex's response, you lament the loss of a quiet space overlooking a historic pedestrian mall, and he responds why do you care when there is another quiet space with no windows and security issues.
I guess my sarcasm abilities are level 0. Seriously, 0/2 on getting this shit?

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
My impression is that there is still a passage to Scotia, however, it now requires you to walk through Simons to get into Scotia Centre. About the same as the Watermark Tower's +15 access to The Core via Holts.
I suspect there will be moveable walls to close off Simons from the pedestrian +15 walkthrough. Simons staff will roll out and roll back merchandise to partially obstruct the walkthrough during the day.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
Odd indeed.

On a related note, there has been on-going construction in that stretch of retail for a bit (specifically in the vicinity of the Superstore). Maybe they feel the longer term viability of a store there makes sense given the high volume already there, fueled by good amount of residential, a large number of businesses including retail and service industry, the recreation facilities, and one of the large transit terminus nodes in the city.
My guess is the landlord offered Best Buy a huge discount to reopen the frmr Future Shop store.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cage View Post
My guess is the landlord offered Best Buy a huge discount to reopen the frmr Future Shop store.
Unless the lease was at the end of term, you usually just can't walk away. Target USA is on the hook for Target's in Canada where they haven't sold the lease. It isn't like they went bankrupt. Probably BB noticed a drop in sales even through online in the store's former catchment.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 4:01 AM

delete

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 4:04 AM

delete

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 2:57 PM

Quote:
No worries. "I don't see what your issue is here" didn't read as sarcasm to me. I was incorrect to call you suburbia2.0. How about Sheldon Cooper instead?
Heh, well, I should probably review sarcastic posts a bit better. Sorry again, Nick. Really not into the trolling game, and definitely don't want to be compared to suburbia again. That stung

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 3:04 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzlingdave88 View Post
I know people are hating on the Simons redevelopment, but I'm excited to see it arrive. I love the one in Edmonton and I'm glad they chose a central location to build one here. I could have pictured them easily trying to find a location in any of the malls, but they chose to be downtown. As someone who live inner city, I appreciate that I don't have to drive around for 20 minutes trying to find parking at Chinook and can walk to the store instead.
I don't think that people are hating the development. I LOVE Simons, it has been one of my favourite places to shop for a long time. It just seems that they really wanted to get into the market and as a result have shoe-horned themselves into a less than ideal space in terms of the floor plate. I like that they chose downtown but that end of the Core needs to major work, the ceiling height drops and it feels very closed in.

I was also surprised to see that Harry Rosen was giving up space to Simons.

Quote:
It's a good retail strategy to force everyone to walk through the merchandise.
Of course it is. It's basically the key to anchor tenants at malls. The spot for Simons is a funnel so it will be interesting to see how they use the space efficiently.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2015, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porfiry View Post
Apparently there's one on display in Chinook right now, so maybe that's a candidate. Chinook would definitely fit their strategy.
So, I guessed correctly.

Tesla's store will be opening in Chinook:
http://www.teslamotors.com/calgarychinookcentre

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 4:37 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
So, I guessed correctly.

Yeah I was there on the weekend. They had a Tesla sales booth set up in the court in front of what was Target. LOTS of interests, not just people taking pictures in the Model S (which is so MFing badass!) There were two couples who were ready to purchase on the spot.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 5:22 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
So, I guessed correctly.

Anyone know if they will run into the issues they've run into in the states with the rules around car dealerships?

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 6:10 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Mountain View Post
Anyone know if they will run into the issues they've run into in the states with the rules around car dealerships?
Not familiar with the rules. Can you expand on this?

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 6:24 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
Not familiar with the rules. Can you expand on this?
In a number of states there are rules preventing car manufacturers selling direct to the customer. Here is an Engadget article on it [link].

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Mountain View Post
They currently have stores in BC, Ontario, and Quebec, so I'm guessing they're in the clear.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 3:48 AM

One of the retail units on 17th and 4th has been FINALLY leased. Anyone know what it is?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy