HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 3:25 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

https://www.facebook.com/OddPittsburgh/?fref=nf

Welder Jim Marks of West Mifflin works on the top corner of the U.S. Steel Tower on June 14, 1970.

(Edward Frank/Post-Gazette)

Last edited by Austinlee; Jun 30, 2016 at 1:26 PM.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 3:40 AM
Hell with the Lid Off.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 12:35 PM

Bye Troll.

Now back to the subject.

PG has an article on the obvious impact that the Shell plant will have on
Beaver county (and beyond?) real estate:

http://powersource.post-gazette.com/...s/201606110026

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 12:53 PM

About $50 million is going to go towards construction and rehab of 170 single-family homes and townhouses in Homewood. It seems the focus is going to be on filling in the areas of Homewood South around the East Busway.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 1:39 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
About $50 million is going to go towards construction and rehab of 170 single-family homes and townhouses in Homewood. It seems the focus is going to be on filling in the areas of Homewood South around the East Busway.
That's great news. While driving 2 days ago on side streets from Highland Park through Larimer and a bit of Homewood I was reminded how many new construction homes are already going up. The somewhat flat land should certainly help spur development in the next few years as developers prefer as little excavation work as possible.

From the article:
Quote:
Projects in works

Pittsburgh and partner organizations are planning five residential development projects totaling about $50 million that will bring 175 homes and town houses to Homewood. Developers include:

• S&A Homes, of State College: 40 townhouses at Tioga and Susquehanna Streets, $15 million.

• Building United of Southwestern Pennsylvania, Homewood: 50 townhouses in the area of Kelly and Bennett streets, $15 million.

• KBK Enterprises, Columbus, Ohio, and the Housing Authority of the City of Pittsburgh: 58 townhouses on Kelly Street, $17.7 million.

• Rebuilding Together Pittsburgh, Homewood: Rehabilitation of 20 houses in scattered sites, $1 million.

Sources: Pittsburgh, Urban Redevelopment Authority, Housing Authority of the City of Pittsburgh

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 4:53 PM
Ex Houstonian

That's great that they will be restoring 20 houses in homewood. Does anyone have an idea of which houses they will be restoring?

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 6:11 PM

I don't understand why someone would LARP as a racist suburban female doctor on city development message boards?

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 6:54 PM

More details on the coming project on Broadway in Beechview.

As an aside, I like NextPittsburgh's content, but I hate their "default mobile" layout.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 7:16 PM

Quote:
They remind me of the fake historic stuff you can find in Atlanta.
Fake historical or not, this example looks pretty damn good. Better than some prefab, obviously not authentic though.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 9:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaguffin View Post
Bye Troll.

Now back to the subject.

PG has an article on the obvious impact that the Shell plant will have on
Beaver county (and beyond?) real estate:

http://powersource.post-gazette.com/...s/201606110026
I just love giving my opinions and then getting attacked by the left..... But anyway, this plant will be the best thing to ever happen in Beaver County as it will finally bring jobs and excitement to people who know what hard work is and truly deserve it! I may even think about moving to Beaver to join in on the fun. They will be booming as much as Cranberry, Wexford, and Murrysville in no time!

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 10:34 PM
Ex Houstonian

^
Go back to city-data where you can join other suburbanites who hate cities just as much as you do. Thanks. I know you get enjoyment out of this so hopefully you get banned again soon.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2016, 1:04 AM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

As you can see, the latest reincarnation of Dr. Avis has now been dealt with. Please let me know the next time Avis decides to try again, preferably in PM form, so I can take care of it ASAP.

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Jun 30, 2016, 2:21 AM
Hell with the Lid Off.

From Pittsburgh History and Landmarks Foundation:

Thanks to the Pittsburgh Steelers, this decorative sculpture by Charles Keck of New York originally adorned the steel portals of the Manchester Bridge, is now on display yet again on the North Side. From 1915 to 1970, the bridge carried traffic over the Allegheny River from Pittsburgh's Point to the North Side. When the bridge was demolished, the Pittsburgh History & Landmarks Foundation saved the decorative sculpture. The two figures here are frontiersman Christopher Gist and Chief Guyasuta of the Seneca, the westernmost nation of the Iroquois Confederacy. They guided 21-year-old George Washington during his expedition through this region in 1753. That expedition set in motion a series of events that resulted in the founding and naming of Pittsburgh in 1758. Pittsburgh's coat of arms––and black and gold colors––come from the family coat of arms of Sir William Pitt the Elder, the British statesman for whom Pittsburgh was named.

Here is the other sculpture from the opposite portal. I suppose it's still in storage. Not sure if there are future plans for display as well. Also appears they are installing a water feature. Nice addition to the northside.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2016, 12:20 PM

Quote:
I just love giving my opinions and then getting attacked by the left
Oh bless your heart. At least you admit that you are a troll as I simply

said "by troll" and nothing more and you predictably responded.

I know that you reading this and oh that's right you are banned

again

Bye troll.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2016, 1:46 PM

Pittsburgh has won a HUD grant for further Hill District redevelopment. Seems to be for planning, not direct construction.

Quote:
The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development has awarded $500,000 to the City of Pittsburgh, the Housing Authority of Pittsburgh, and Bedford Dwellings for the revitalization of the Hill District.

“What is great about this planning grant is it allows us to look at redevelopment holistically,” said Pittsburgh City Councilman R. Daniel Lavelle in a statement released Wednesday. “Not only will we focus on the physical development, but also the educational, economic and social development needs of our community.”
Also, a new 18-unit condo building will soon be underway in Bloomfield. I've seen the listings for this building already. As the rendering makes clear, they're adding a third story and a real stairway/elevator core to the old warehouse, which will add to the massing considerably.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2016, 2:09 PM

It is great to see those projects in Homewood. Although of course I would ideally prefer even higher densities, more decent homes around that Busway station is good public policy, and hopefully it will lead to some positive momentum spreading further into the neighborhood.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2016, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
It is great to see those projects in Homewood. Although of course I would ideally prefer even higher densities, more decent homes around that Busway station is good public policy, and hopefully it will lead to some positive momentum spreading further into the neighborhood.
Yeah. The cost for all three of the developers building new homes seems to be in the range of $300,000 per unit. I'm certain that they could reduce the cost per unit considerably if they built low-rise apartment buildings instead.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2016, 2:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviderik View Post
From Pittsburgh History and Landmarks Foundation:

Here is the other sculpture from the opposite portal. I suppose it's still in storage. Not sure if there are future plans for display as well. Also appears they are installing a water feature. Nice addition to the northside.
Those are amazing! Can't wait to see them live.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2016, 3:25 PM

Quote:

Also, a new 18-unit condo building will soon be underway in Bloomfield. I've seen the listings for this building already. As the rendering makes clear, they're adding a third story and a real stairway/elevator core to the old warehouse, which will add to the massing considerably.
Where is this? Further down Liberty near Don Allen? I can't place it. The slope coming down the side makes me think that picture is from Osceola maybe?

Old Posted Jun 30, 2016, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFW523 View Post
Where is this? Further down Liberty near Don Allen? I can't place it. The slope coming down the side makes me think that picture is from Osceola maybe?
Corner of Cypress and Gross near the S. Milvale Ave bridge.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations