HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Oct 26, 2023, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Best opening music for this discussion ever.

https://www.cbc.ca/listen/live-radio...boarding=false
I was actually expecting to hear circus music, no word of a lie.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2023, 3:40 AM

Hi from Toronto

Longtime lurker of SSP. I just wanted to say how happy I am that Edmonton is getting a new line of light rail transit. Although delayed it is a significant accomplishment. What I am wondering is if this line will connect the central area to any high traffic nodes and if the zoning around the stations has been changed to allow for higher forms of density?

It seems that this year and next will be great for Canadian urban transit systems. Montreal opened the first stage of REM, Toronto will see up to three new lines open in areas outside the central core and of course Edmonton got a new line.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2023, 2:49 PM
Change is good

^ that's one of the biggest issues with LRT planning/building in this city - its done in a silo, with no (or very little, unlike other metro areas) rezoning planned around stations.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2023, 5:40 PM
Community Guy

SEVLRT - 1st train.

Video Link

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Nov 4, 2023, 7:03 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Rode the train. Some comments:

1) Capacity: Concerns over capacity is still a concern but not as bad as that initial concern. A car is longer than the traditional lines but the beam is narrower, meaning that the aisles are narrower. Consist is only two vehicles so you are relying on frequency for capacity.

2) Speed: Speed is slower but that is more about the turns it has to make. It's faster than a bus so that is something. Not too concerned about speed, unless you have Tsar Alexander III on it.

3) Ergonomy: Seating is comfortable. The thing I would change is the alarm for doors opening. It is currently an annoyingly loud and high pitched alarm which is very unnecessary.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2023, 4:19 PM
SUSPENDED

A couple days in and no reported accidents or glitches. Lets hope it stays this way.....

Old Posted Nov 7, 2023, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Star View Post
A couple days in and no reported accidents or glitches. Lets hope it stays this way.....
I thought this thing was a complete POS and all the support structures needed to be replaced and every weld was cracking?

Or is that just how you talk about most of the Client's work you inspect?

Old Posted Nov 7, 2023, 5:55 PM
SUSPENDED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardhatdan View Post
I thought this thing was a complete POS and all the support structures needed to be replaced and every weld was cracking?

Or is that just how you talk about most of the Client's work you inspect?

Your professionalism is lacking...as well apparently you have not been paying attention to current events lol. You seem angry at the world. Have a snickers.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2023, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Your professionalism is lacking...as well apparently you have not been paying attention to current events lol. You seem angry at the world. Have a snickers.
A guy who gets brought in by a project, probably with an NDA in his contract, spouting off about issues and publicly lambasting the project.

Ya, it's my professionalism that is lacking.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2023, 10:55 PM
SUSPENDED

Quote:
A guy who gets brought in by a project, probably with an NDA in his contract, spouting off about issues and publicly lambasting the project.

Ya, it's my professionalism that is lacking.

Wow, you cant be serious... you sure don't know what you're talking about do you. Everything I have said on here is (PUBLIC) knowledge lol. Another swing and a miss for you. Maybe sit this conversation out. Why you so mad bro lol.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 1:47 AM

Quote:
Wow, you cant be serious... you sure don't know what you're talking about do you. Everything I have said on here is (PUBLIC) knowledge lol. Another swing and a miss for you. Maybe sit this conversation out. Why you so mad bro lol.
Multiple times you commented on non public, but probably not real, inspections you claimed to be performing on failing welds with promises to report back your findings. Of course you didn't do that because you probably were just lieing bro.

Maybe someone should send those to Transed, I mean how many weld inspectors could thee have been looking at very particular welds...

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 7:03 PM
Change is good

as someone that usually stirs the pot around here, I think you guys need to chill out. LOL

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 4:16 AM
SUSPENDED

Quote:
Multiple times you commented on non public, but probably not real, inspections you claimed to be performing on failing welds with promises to report back your findings. Of course you didn't do that because you probably were just lieing bro.

Maybe someone should send those to Transed, I mean how many weld inspectors could thee have been looking at very particular welds...

Hey Pal, your obviously disassociated from reality here...wow.

I don’t report to you on my business dealings. Nor do I divulge to you what goes on in my personal business. Some things can be mentioned on here. Other topics can't…it’s the nature of the business (HARD HAT DAN) maybe you should know this? What I share here is a bit of information I encounter with different projects with the city and 135 other businesses I do business with on a yearly basis. Now if you can’t process this properly maybe find another site to be miserable on.

Last edited by Black Star; Nov 9, 2023 at 5:39 AM.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 6:40 AM

Hardhatdan and Blackstar, please take your argument to PM, we don't need it on the forum.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 7:14 AM
SUSPENDED

Quote:
Originally Posted by itom 987 View Post
Hardhatdan and Blackstar, please take your argument to PM, we don't need it on the forum.

Tell this to Hard hat.... Im defending myself from slanderous allegation's from a want to be Engineer internet warrior.... I didnt instigate this at all. I'm spitting out facts. Hes on some emotional freefall lol....Geebuss.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Tell this to Hard hat.... Im defending myself from slanderous allegation's from a want to be Engineer internet warrior.... I didnt instigate this at all. I'm spitting out facts. Hes on some emotional freefall lol....Geebuss.
TAKE. IT. TO. THE. PMS

Is that hard to read?

Old Posted Nov 10, 2023, 2:02 AM
Urbis Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
^ that's one of the biggest issues with LRT planning/building in this city - its done in a silo, with no (or very little, unlike other metro areas) rezoning planned around stations.
Not particularly true. The City of Edmonton has had the Transit Oriented Development Guideline in effect for well over a decade now (or close to). So while there are a few areas around LRT stations that need to be rezoned, the planning framework to support upzoning has been in place for a long time. And you'd be surprised how many areas directly abutting TTC subway stations are zoned low density.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2023, 5:12 PM

Areas around Mill Woods, Bonnie Doon, Strathearn and Holyrood all have layers of policy for development and densification and the alignment of the line itself north of 82 ave partially chosen to align with redevelopment opportunities.

Maybe with the new zoning bylaw you could argue that pro-active rezoning would be helpful, but under the previous bylaw (that is still in place until the end of the year) it's extremely unlikely that any of these areas would redevelop under standard zones rather than direct control anyways. The city has already supported DC rezonings at all of these locations in anticipation of the LRT. Most of them are a bit stale, and I wouldn't be suprised if there are some adjustments before anything actually gets built, but will be interesting to see if any of them start to move again now that there are actually trains running.

Remains to be seen what actually develops but from the city side, there has definitely been a lot of coordination and the development a policy framework to support densification along the line.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2023, 5:24 PM

I do hope this line has better success than the original line that has barely seen densification in its 50 years of operation.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2023, 9:06 PM
Change is good

kind of hard to develop next to the areas the NE line goes through for the most part, major railways, industrial areas... Stadium and Clareview have seen some good development around it. Not skyscrapers, but good cluster of low-rise stuff. the SLRT was built into areas with existing clusters, southgate, university, heritage mall stuff (stuff before century park... but now also century park)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton