HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 1:18 AM

CINCINNATI | Over-the-Rhine Tour of Living

The Over-the-Rhine Tour of Living was held on March 4 and included insights into Memorial Hall and some restored commercial and residential properties near Washington Park in Cincinnati, Ohio. Accompanying me on the tour was Jayson Gomes of CincyImages and Mike Pistone. I have also included prior photographs that have not been released.

We started at Memorial Hall, constructed in 1908 by the Grand Army of the Republic and Hamilton County. The Beaux-Arts-styled building served as a memorial to the veterans of the Civil War and the Spanish-American War.

The building featured a 610-seat theater that was the home of the Cincinnati Chamber Orchestra and the MusicNow festival. Memorial Hall was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1978 and is home to the American Classical Music Hall of Fame and Museum. Interestingly enough, the county at one point was attempting to have the building demolished due to the high cost of maintenance.

An interior photograph of the dining room at Symphony Hotel along 13th Street.

1401 Race Street, part of the City Home development, has come a long way. Once abandoned and neglected only a block away from Music Hall, this rehabilitated structure offers four residential units – two market rate and two subsidized. The project was developed by Over-the-Rhine Community Housing (OTRCH) and Eber Development Below is a photograph from March 2011.

A view of a completed unit.

Another unit down Pleasant Street is four-stories with a roof deck. The views are nothing short of breathtaking!

I caught a glimpse of Saengerhalle, which I have not posted interiors of before. Below is a peek from the top of a Pleasant Street residence, with photographs taken in March of 2011 filling the remainder.

3CDC’s corporate office.

Washington Park back then. A lot has happened since then.

Westfalen Lofts, located at 1418-1422 Race Street, consists of three rehabilitated properties with a total of eight units. The development was completed in March 2011 at a cost of $3.38 million.

The tour included 1420 Race Street, part of the Westfalen Loft development.

The tour also included stops at 1522-1524 Elm Street, a Habitat for Humanity development. The renovation of the 1870s Italianate was a collaboration between Habitat for Humanity, OTR Community Housing and OTR Foundation. Unfortunately, we did not take any photographs of that development due to timing. We did finish the evening two overlooks in Covington, Kentucky for a spectacular sunset.

Enjoy!

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 2:28 AM

Beautiful shots!

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 2:34 AM

Lookin good!

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 5:41 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

I dig.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 6:12 PM

These are fantastic Sherman. Cincinnati is such an incredible city. Those are definitely some dream homes.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 6:59 PM
Stuck in the Suburbs

Looks nice. It's incredible how far this area has come in the past few years and (I hope) will continue to proceed.
I see aspects of my dream home in some of these shots.

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 6:05 PM

These shots are really great - and the progress since they were taken only a couple months ago is amazing. Soon Washington Park will be open - predevelopment is already well underway at more projects along Race St.

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 6:49 PM
marcus

Such beautiful and clean photography as always, Sherman!

Old Posted May 26, 2012, 12:06 AM

I do need to get my ass to Cincty. I love the eclectic aray of styles, and the history of the true western boom town of its heyday. Also I would love to meet Harry, and Dr. Johnny. Love the train station and the look of THE Hilton Netherland's interior. Hook me up please. Any good ideas for a first timmer??

Old Posted May 26, 2012, 2:43 AM
Motor City Mountaineer

It's incredible to see how far OTR has come in the past few years. How exciting! Great tours, thanks.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos