HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Dec 18, 2009, 4:11 AM

A website that may be of interest - Edmontropolis

First off, to the moderators, I am not meaning to Spam my site or anything. If you feel the need to delete the thread, by all means do so, but I believe this may be of interest to a few members here.

For the past few years, I have developed an interest in skyscrapers and urban spaces. I admire the architecture present in both ancient and modern cities, and marvel at the modern skyscraper and the constant pushing of new boundaries (see Burj Dubai, the current tallest building in the world). As I consider Edmonton to be my home town, I've wanted to put together a database showcasing the skyscrapers of Edmonton for some time. Currently, I am enrolled in the Digital Media Design program at NAIT here in Edmonton, and as one of my class projects we were to develop a PHP MySql database (excuse the nerdspeak), which presented the perfect opportunity to bring my vision to fruition.

Currently, you will find approximately the top 30 buildings in Edmonton, at this point all downtown, in terms of height (in meters). For each building, there is a photo, a description, as well as some elementary building information (height, the year it was built, it's primary use, etc), to give an overview of some of Edmonton's current, and under construction high rises. The database is filterable by decade of construction, as well as building type (Office, Residential, Hotel, etc).

You will also find a page dedicated soley to the building images, as well as an interactive Google Map allowing you to view a map layout showing the distribution of the tallest buildings in Edmonton. It is my hope to continue to expand this website, including both buying an actual domain name, as well as documenting more and more buildings. Ideally, I strive to develop this project into a user-based site, allowing users to update with new buildings, in the quest of eventually having every building above 6 floors in Edmonton documented.

Without further rambling (this post can also be found on the home page!), here is the URL:

www.edmontropolis.marcelschoenhardt.com

I would greatly appreciate some feed back on the information. I wrote the descriptions, with pieces referenced from stuff I found online. If there's any glaring mistakes that is noticeable in terms of building information, please feel free to let me know.

I'd also like to extend a huge thanks to bulliver and edmontonenthusiast for their cooperation in allowing me to use some of their images on the site.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2009, 4:17 AM
Kevin Folds Five

Awesome collection... well designed and easy to navigate... excellent database.. just perfect!

Would be nice to see proposed and visioned there too.... whaddya think?

You should also perhaps forward that URL to a singular url.. like edmontropolis.com (for ease)

Old Posted Dec 18, 2009, 4:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_foster View Post
Awesome collection... well designed and easy to navigate... excellent database.. just perfect!

Would be nice to see proposed and visioned there too.... whaddya think?

You should also perhaps forward that URL to a singular url.. like edmontropolis.com (for ease)
I certainly plan on moving it to edmontropolis.com at some point. As it was a class project, I didn't want to spring for the domain quite yet (starving student, you know. ), but it is certainly in the plans, especially if this is somewhat "popular."

Thank you very much on the design comments, I appreciate it.

In terms of vision / proposed, I'd certainly love to. Only hookup I could see is having rights to post images. I'm not 100% familiar with all the image copyright laws yet, but I will look into it, because I'd love to.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2009, 4:07 PM
Change is good

^ you should see the first page of the Edmonton Construction Thread for the vision/proposed/under construction... I like your site. Would be great to have this additon as well

Old Posted Dec 18, 2009, 4:19 PM

Hah, I forgot about this, it looks extremely well put together website, I really like it oiler! It looks very professional, to me, but hey I'm not a professional. But I really like it anyways. I really like the graphic at the top!

The only mistake I found is 'Wharehouse'...should be Warehouse District. So if that's all I can find, you probably don't really have any errors.

Thanks for including me in this too. I'd love to see a further expansion into the Government District and Warehouse District, then Grandin, and eventually the rest of Oliver eventually. But for right now, great start!

What will be interesting to see is if you continue with this, the additions over time to the site with new buildings. Keep it up man!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton