HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 4:21 PM
Verticle

I loved the Twin Towers. They held such an iconic place in my childhood and were a symbol to me that I could succeed and overcome anything! And everytime I see a picture of them, all of these incredible memories come flooding back.

I have made peace with the fact that they would not be recreated on this site. The idea of "Twin Towers" here is gone. That chapter has closed...and a new chapter has begun! The entire complex is it's own new icon and will be for so many youth, that like me, look to it as a symbol. I hope that all of the buildings will be constructed as they will create an entirely different plaza and skyline that is as pleasing, though as different as the Twin Towers that once graced that site.

When my father passed many years ago, it was difficult at first. But his memory and presence is still fresh and clear in my mind. I cannot replace him. But I have many uncles and aunts that, while not him, are a part of him. While they are a thread, they also teach me new things and open my horizons in different ways than my father did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze23 View Post
One last point I wanna make about this argument, why are you obsessing the the number of floors when the new 1WTC is about 5ft taller than the old one and 2WTC is a mere 12ft shorter than the old 2WTC?? once you add 3 & 4WTC, this complex will be much more dominant than the old one. In the end it comes down to this, let's wait till the whole thing is finished before we start comparing the two, cause last time I checked there are 2 buildings left to rise.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurmiles View Post
This image clearly shows that we have built an inferior, diminished product than its predecessors. I insist that any attempt to decorate this type of inferiority with such self-rationalizing words like 'more elegant', 'sleeker', 'slenderer', 'more friendly-scale', or 'more 21st century-looking', etc. is banal and pathetic.

Stop rationalizing the reality and admit the reality. The reality is, "the new 1WTC is clearly weaker than the original 1 WTC in terms of floor count and floor space."

And yet, only way to fix this imbalance is to build another, second 1 WTC so that it would incorporate a twin element. We have restored the North Tower albeit by somehow inferior way, what not apply the same treatment to the South Tower?

To those who having a rosy dream that 1 WTC will eventually look greater than the Twin Towers because there will be 2 WTC and 3 WTC next to it, I'd say somthing like this: A skyscraper is supposed to skyscrap the sky.

Even if they eventually manage to add 2 WTC and 3 WTC, those two smaller buildings can't compensate the presence of another taller twin tower. 2 and 3 WTC are supposed to be only 79 and 71 stories tall (yes, 3 WTC has one less floor count than 4 WTC, which has 72 floors), and the sheer number of skyscrapers cannot substitute for the sheer height.

Just think of it. the presence of four, six, or even tens of 55-story buildings can't beat the presence of two massive 110 stories tall towers.

My vision is like this: We can have two 105 stories tall 1 and 2 WTC, and 71 and 72 stories tall 3 and 4 WTC.
You seriously need to know what you're talking about before you post.
1. Your vision is a moot point, as the site plan has already been finalized and construction is underway.
2. The general public has no idea what the current or original floor count and office space is/was. So, who cares? People in general only see the effect of the office towers on the skyline.
3. The skyscrapers planned will scrape the sky. Have you seen any renders of the complete complex? Do you know that the height of 2WTC is over 1,300 feet tall? It will effectively be a twin for 1WTC. 3WTC & 4WTC are an added bonus. 3WTC is planned to be over 1,100 feet tall.
4. Your opinion on the aesthetic appeal of the new complex, is just that. Your opinion. The "two massive 110 story tall towers" were ugly, if imposing....in my opinion. I find the current 1WTC to be far more attractive than the twins...and I have grown to appreciate the current design of the spire, even without the cladding. If/when the entire complex is complete, it will have a greater impact on the skyline than the original twins did. For this to happen though, 2WTC & 3WTC must be completed.
5. It's my rosy dream...and there's nothing you can do about it.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 4:59 PM

Oh look, it's Bill Ditnow. Re-ban please.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderpriest View Post
You seriously need to know what you're talking about before you post.
1. Your vision is a moot point, as the site plan has already been finalized and construction is underway.
2. The general public has no idea what the current or original floor count and office space is/was. So, who cares? People in general only see the effect of the office towers on the skyline.
3. The skyscrapers planned will scrape the sky. Have you seen any renders of the complete complex? Do you know that the height of 2WTC is over 1,300 feet tall? It will effectively be a twin for 1WTC. 3WTC & 4WTC are an added bonus. 3WTC is planned to be over 1,100 feet tall.
4. Your opinion on the aesthetic appeal of the new complex, is just that. Your opinion. The "two massive 110 story tall towers" were ugly, if imposing....in my opinion. I find the current 1WTC to be far more attractive than the twins...and I have grown to appreciate the current design of the spire, even without the cladding. If/when the entire complex is complete, it will have a greater impact on the skyline than the original twins did. For this to happen though, 2WTC & 3WTC must be completed.
5. It's my rosy dream...and there's nothing you can do about it.

Okay, all those you twin towers haters, let me ask one question.

Suppose the PA or Silverstein suddenly announces that they will change the design of 2WTC and render it as an essential twin of 1WTC, will any of you oppose that decision?

In that case, a new twin tower becomes what is currently happening, aka. reality, and people would rationalize that decision. No more fierce opposition to new twin towers plans. Your sense of beauty, belief, value system, and everything, simply depend on reality. * this is what I abhor.

Let me put it this way: The Twin Towers used to be called "Seven Wonders of the Modern World" (ref. http://www.panynj.gov/wtcprogress/history-wtc.html). Now people disregard their presence (mere two buildings vs. dense four buildings argument) and even belittle them (ugly boxes, never should come back etc), simply because they are gone!

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 5:28 PM

Quote:

Suppose the PA or Silverstein suddenly announces that they will change the design of 2WTC and render it as an essential twin of 1WTC, will any of you oppose that decision?

In that case, a new twin tower becomes what is currently happening, aka. reality, and people would rationalize that decision. No more fierce opposition to new twin towers plans. Your sense of beauty, belief, value system, and everything, simply depend on reality. * this is what I abhor.

Let me put it this way: The Twin Towers used to be called "Seven Wonders of the Modern World" (ref. http://www.panynj.gov/wtcprogress/history-wtc.html). Now people disregard their presence (mere two buildings vs. dense four buildings argument) and even belittle them (ugly boxes, never should come back etc), simply because they are gone!
We don't hate the Twin Towers, and second of all even if it was built on the site of 2 World Trade Center it will look nothing like the alignment of the old Twin Towers. Plus the foundation for the current Two World Trade Center is already laid. So it isn't going to happen.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
We don't hate the Twin Towers, and second of all even if it was built on the site of 2 World Trade Center it will look nothing like the alignment of the old Twin Towers. Plus the foundation for the current Two World Trade Center is already laid. So it isn't going to happen.
It seems you and only a few people acutally have fond memories for the twins. However, as you realize, many people in this thread tend to praise new towers and disrespect the old. Speaking of the foundations, 2WTC is only at the foundations stage. A bottle can be half empty, or half full.

I have nothing to do with this organization, but I support their cause.http://www.twintowersalliance.com/
They even aim to rebuild intact rectangular-shaped new Twin Towers over 2WTC and 3WTC site.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 5:55 PM

Quote:
This image clearly shows that we have built an inferior, diminished product than its predecessors. I insist that any attempt to decorate this type of inferiority with such self-rationalizing words like 'more elegant', 'sleeker', 'slenderer', 'more friendly-scale', or 'more 21st century-looking', etc. is banal and pathetic.

Stop rationalizing the reality and admit the reality. The reality is, "the new 1WTC is clearly weaker than the original 1 WTC in terms of floor count and floor space."

And yet, only way to fix this imbalance is to build another, second 1 WTC so that it would incorporate a twin element. We have restored the North Tower albeit by somehow inferior way, what not apply the same treatment to the South Tower?

To those who having a rosy dream that 1 WTC will eventually look greater than the Twin Towers because there will be 2 WTC and 3 WTC next to it, I'd say somthing like this: A skyscraper is supposed to skyscrap the sky.

Even if they eventually manage to add 2 WTC and 3 WTC, those two smaller buildings can't compensate the presence of another taller twin tower. 2 and 3 WTC are supposed to be only 79 and 71 stories tall (yes, 3 WTC has one less floor count than 4 WTC, which has 72 floors), and the sheer number of skyscrapers cannot substitute for the sheer height.

Just think of it. the presence of four, six, or even tens of 55-story buildings can't beat the presence of two massive 110 stories tall towers.

My vision is like this: We can have two 105 stories tall 1 and 2 WTC, and 71 and 72 stories tall 3 and 4 WTC.
I'd just like to insist that the bolded is indeed your opinion, and not fact, yet you state it as if it were the latter.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Endless Diatribe
Okay, we get it - your view of superiority is size, size, and more size. You express your blind hatred for 1 WTC because it doesn't have as much floor space. We get your point. You posted this same kind of speech recently. We got it already. But there will not be a twin of this building or twins of any kind. If you dislike 1 WTC as much as you seem to, then guess what? You don't need to follow its progress or post here.

And you certainly don't need to make people seem idiotic for actually liking this building, because that seems to be your only mission here - and I consider that to be more "pathetic" than anything.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 5:59 PM
Gigatall Skyscraper

Quote:

I think you completely overlook the fact that this new building is both taller and wider than the old ones.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 6:03 PM

Quote:

Let me put it this way: The Twin Towers used to be called "Seven Wonders of the Modern World". Now people disregard their presence (mere two buildings vs. dense four buildings argument) and even belittle them (ugly boxes, never should come back etc), simply because they are gone!
Oh OH! I am a hater of the original WTC! I wanna answer!

Yes I would be opposed to that decision because of the following

1. The twin design would look ugly and quite rushed when mushed togheter with 3/4 WTC.

2. They would not have the same diagonal angle as the old towers so it would not even look the same.

3. With 1 WTC's tapering the twin effect would look awkward and silly. As if the towers were trying to go as far away from eachother as possibile.

I also love the generalization you do at the end. Yeah, because everyone who simply does not like them is like that. Could it be that our voices are just louder due to the expansion of the Internet perhaps?

Btw, I have looked through you posts and every single one is the same fictional bullshit. Repeating the same tired points over and over again are not going to make them more true.

Sure you ain't part of the TTA?

Last edited by marvelfannumber1; Jun 18, 2013 at 6:18 PM.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 6:05 PM

Now that he posted that link, he really just sounds like a Twin Towers Alliance shill.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 6:34 PM

If all you do is rant about how much you dislike this building, you obviously do not have anything to do with your time. If you don't like it, then why the fuck do you even bother following its progress in the first place, let alone posting about it? That's just asinine...really really asinine.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 6:35 PM

Quote:
It seems you and only a few people acutally have fond memories for the twins. However, as you realize, many people in this thread tend to praise new towers and disrespect the old. Speaking of the foundations, 2WTC is only at the foundations stage. A bottle can be half empty, or half full.

I have nothing to do with this organization, but I support their cause.http://www.twintowersalliance.com/
They even aim to rebuild intact rectangular-shaped new Twin Towers over 2WTC and 3WTC site.
Only at the foundation stage... You realize that's where most of the work goes? The rest from here is just "build up". It's the foundation that makes the building. It would take a stupid ridiculous amount of money to reconfigure the foundation of 2 WTC, especially considering the parcel of land it sits on, and how inter-connected it is with the rest of the complex (retail, PATH, pedestrian corridors...). They could shorten the tower, maybe make it taller, and do some other minor aesthetic changes, but otherwise, that 200 Greenwich Street will go up in the shape it currently is in.

I think it's a bit sad that someone still maintains a website dedicated to getting the original twins rebuilt. It's not going to happen. What are they going to do, rip out the entire memorial and build them there? With what money? Pigs will fly and the NSA will stop trampling all over the 4th Amendment long before that happens. It's 2013. It's time to let go of the past.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 6:41 PM

By the way, it's not true 105 story building. It has about 20 of fake floors and tapering office space as if it's been prepared to reduce overall building weight above the possible impact-zone in case of second 9/11 happening again.

9/11-prepared-tapering, along with the fortified base and obsession with 1776 figure with disproportionately long spiretenna, this building essentially reflects fear itself.

Okay, I will not argue anymore. Have fun with your toothpick tapering tower and be marvelled at its awesomeness. End of story and bye.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo Na View Post
Question: I currently do not see the cables in recent pictures, are they still included in the plans and will be constructed or were they deemed unnecessary from an engineering standpoint and eliminated?
They're coming. They have to disassemble the temporary platforms and clean up the roof a bit before they'll attach them.

Quote:
By the way, it's not true 105 story building. It has about 20 of fake floors and tapering office space as if it's been prepared to reduce overall building weight above the possible impact-zone in case of second 9/11 happening again.

9/11-prepared-tapering, along with the fortified base and obsession with 1776 figure with disproportionately long spiretenna, This building essentially reflects fear itself.

Okay, I will not argue anymore. Have fun with your toothpick tapering tower and be marvelled at its awesomeness. End of story and bye.
I wouldn't call it fear. I'd call it being prepared. When the original WTC were designed they factored in an "accidental" collision from the largest airliner at the time (Boeing 707) and built the building to withstand such an event. We live in a different world than we did in the 1960s. We have to face the reality that people may want to turn our civil airliners into flying bombs which, fully loaded with fuel, can impact a building at hundreds of miles per hour with incredible force. We know this because it happened. If there's ever a desirable target to hit again, it's the new 1WTC. The building wasn't built out of fear, it was built to survive and to protect lives. And you call yourself a glass half-full person...

Don't let the door hit you on your way out!

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 6:44 PM

Wow. It does not take much to start an argument around here.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 6:44 PM

In my personal opinion, I would love to see the twins, however, I don't think that rebuilding them is in the best taste. By having them gone, we are reminded of what happened everyday when looking at the NYC skyline. These new towers are a wonderful addition to the skyline, and a perfect and graceful replacement of the original complex in my opinion.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 6:49 PM

Quote:

9/11-prepared-tapering, along with the fortified base and obsession with 1776 figure with disproportionately long spiretenna, this building essentially reflects fear itself.

Yeah it has less floors, so? It's still the same height and the only people it will affect are the people working there. The rest of the towers will bring back those floors and more combined.

And simply holding tightly to your ears and screaming "I can't hear you! I won't argue anymore!" won't make what you say true this time either. You clearly don't know how to debate so please restrain yourself from saying such stupid shit again.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 7:11 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Rebuild the twins! -TalB

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 7:13 PM

Quote:

Now, your just being sarcastic and to be honest, your just not fair.

Yes, One World Trade Center is not perfect and it probably could have been better, but your coming on here bashing it just because you support the twins. 2 towers that are gone. Move on.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture