HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
The Southern Tier, Central NY, Adirondacks, Albany area... downstate??

I've never heard anyone refer to these decidedly upstate areas (to me at least) as "downstate".

I think of "downstate" as basically the Catskills area south to NYC. If you continued the PA border directly east to join the CT northern border... anything south of that line is downstate.
You are correct, I gave a lazy answer. I usually think of anything south and east of the Mohawk as "downstate" (from the perspective of WNY).

I suppose there are 2 ways to look at regional identity - self-identity, or as-identified by others. When I lived in Texas, I never identified myself as "from Upstate New York."

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 6:35 PM

I think of the upstate/downstate delineation as a sort of hockem's razor. It's a very brut sort without a lot of specificity. Like yes no are you in the NYC orbit or not.

Beyond that no one within those regions speaks that way generally. It becomes Western NY, Finger Lakes, Hudson Valley, Capital Region, etc.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 6:39 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
I think of the upstate/downstate delineation as a sort of hockem's razor. It's a very brut sort without a lot of specificity. Like yes no are you in the NYC orbit or not.

Beyond that no one within those regions speaks that way generally. It becomes Western NY, Finger Lakes, Hudson Valley, Capital Region, etc.

Occam’s Razor…

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam%27s_razor
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 7:42 PM
Dryer lint inspector

No one in upstate rarely says they live in upstate to each other and I never thought about it until I moved away and had to describe where I was from from geographically challenged Texans. But this map pretty much sums it up...

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 8:22 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
No one in upstate rarely says they live in upstate to each other and I never thought about it until I moved away and had to describe where I was from from geographically challenged Texans. But this map pretty much sums it up...

Fun fact, New York has a higher illiteracy rate than most of the third world and the highest of all US states (and a good 10% less literate than MISSISSIPPI). Don’t throw stones in glass houses.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 9:30 PM

Upstate for me begins at 14th Street.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 10:24 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufbau View Post
Upstate for me begins at 14th Street.
yr dam jiggy.

but since we moved to staten i had to lower it to canal.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 12:02 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Fun fact, New York has a higher illiteracy rate than most of the third world and the highest of all US states (and a good 10% less literate than MISSISSIPPI). Don’t throw stones in glass houses.
I've lived in Texas 30 years and am married to one...I can absolutely pick on them.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 12:55 AM

Quote:
This is pretty clearly not true.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 1:27 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
nope -- this got nys at #45 and 'ole miss at #48 as of 2023 --

https://wisevoter.com/state-rankings...rate-by-state/

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 1:58 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post

At first glance, a national literacy rate of only 80.7% seemed crazy low for the US - that'd be well below the global average of 86%. But this is specifically measuring the English-language literacy rate, meaning that immigrant-heavy states like California and New York, and/or heavily Spanish-speaking ones like New Mexico and Texas (or also California) fare disproportionately low.

In other words, the lowest-scoring states of New Mexico, California, and Texas would have actually significantly higher true rates of literacy than is indicated here. On the other hand, the fact that a state like Mississippi - one with negligible immigrant and non-English-speaking populations - still has a literacy rate of only 72% is pretty wild.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 2:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post

Regarding your "geography challenged" comment, it was in New York where I encountered people (who I didn't know) who gave me a blank look when I explained I was originally from the Texas Gulf Coast region, and that Houston's port was one of the largest in the country. One New Yorker commented "how can that be?", thinking that all of Texas is way out west, when the vast majority of people in the state don't live anywhere near west Texas, nor have even been there.

I think "geography challenged" is an American problem.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 3:24 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ they probably balked immediately when you said hugh-ston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
At first glance, a national literacy rate of only 80.7% seemed crazy low for the US - that'd be well below the global average of 86%. But this is specifically measuring the English-language literacy rate, meaning that immigrant-heavy states like California and New York, and/or heavily Spanish-speaking ones like New Mexico and Texas (or also California) fare disproportionately low.

In other words, the lowest-scoring states of New Mexico, California, and Texas would have actually significantly higher true rates of literacy than is indicated here. On the other hand, the fact that a state like Mississippi - one with negligible immigrant and non-English-speaking populations - still has a literacy rate of only 72% is pretty wild.
you know what else is pretty wilder? miss has a babies born to single mothers rate of 55%, by far the highest in the states. that's 3rd world insanity. poverty is a bear and correlational things like that don't help literacy when survival is overwhelming.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 5:12 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviationGuy View Post
Regarding your "geography challenged" comment, it was in New York where I encountered people (who I didn't know) who gave me a blank look when I explained I was originally from the Texas Gulf Coast region, and that Houston's port was one of the largest in the country. One New Yorker commented "how can that be?", thinking that all of Texas is way out west, when the vast majority of people in the state don't live anywhere near west Texas, nor have even been there.

Yeah, I don't think this is one of the biggest ports in the country
https://www.google.com/maps/place/E+...waDc?entry=ttu

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 3:22 PM
E pluribus unum

Quote:

Reminds me of that New Yorker cover where anything west of 10th Avenue is practically barren wasteland.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 3:37 PM

Quote:

Yeah, New Yorkers are pretty geographically challenged lol. That should not be a controversial statement at all. There might be more awareness upstate, but people in the five boroughs can barely pick out Newark, NJ, on a map, to say nothing of any place west of the Delaware Water Gap.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 5:18 PM
Dryer lint inspector

To most NYC'ers, anything north of Yonkers is Canada.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post

Yes, let’s both cherry pick stupid datasets from the same year that support out points:

https://www.zippia.com/advice/us-lit...rate-by-state/

The point here is that New York is not some literate paradise. At all.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Yes, let’s both cherry pick stupid datasets from the same year that support out points:

https://www.zippia.com/advice/us-lit...rate-by-state/

The point here is that New York is not some literate paradise. At all.
Pretty sure that the literacy rate here is skewed by people who are not fluent in English. New York and California both have the supposed lowest literacy rates, but those two states are also disproportionately populated by people who do not speak English. OTOH, New York and California are the two richest states in the country, so if you're implying that the literacy rates are an indicator of educational attainment, then I think you're barking up the wrong tree. New York is in the top 10 states for percent of residents with 4-year degrees and also in the top 10 states for percent of residents with an advanced degree.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Pretty sure that the literacy rate here is skewed by people who are not fluent in English. New York and California both have the supposed lowest literacy rates, but those two states are also disproportionately populated by people who do not speak English. OTOH, New York and California are the two richest states in the country, so if you're implying that the literacy rates are an indicator of educational attainment, then I think you're barking up the wrong tree. New York is in the top 10 states for percent of residents with 4-year degrees and also in the top 10 states for percent of residents with an advanced degree.
Yes, and Austin is routinely in lists of most and least fit Americans. Two seemingly opposite things can be true…

1. Among the most educated.
2. Among the most illiterate.

… provided that the society consists of large groups of haves (fit or educated) and have nots (fat or illiterate), if there are relatively very few people in between (slim/slender/average or literate but not degreed).

Furthermore, your about English language and literacy misses an important piece of the dynamic: many low income immigrants cannot read nor write in their own native language. I doubt that whether or not they can read or write in specifically English matters for the topline literacy numbers all that much.

Last edited by wwmiv; Mar 28, 2024 at 6:51 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions