HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Parks, Metro, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 3:24 PM

Now that the city has made an amendment to the Central City Plan regarding options for congestion pricing I hope that the "No More Freeways" coalition will offer potential drafts of their own. It is doubtful that the city council, who largely drives alone as their means of transit, will have the will to propose something in the line of what, for example, London currently uses, which appears to be quite effective in limiting SOV use.

Tolls at the I5 and I205 bridges will not effectively target congestion in the city center. True congestion pricing, encompassing an area of the central city would likely prove to be the most effective method, as evidenced by the multiple cities who use this method. I would like to see an area such as this, in concert with parking and traffic mediation around the border (e.g. diverters, 1-2 hour parking zones).

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 11:05 PM
A before E

I have interacted with the No More Freeways people, they are a little too far fetched with their ideas and seem to be misguided in what they are trying to achieve. Congestion is never going to go away, and as Portland grows, it is going to get worse. So yes, new freeways won't solve congestion, but it makes sense to eliminate any pointless bottlenecks to help traffic flow better and reduce accidents. Expanding light rail, buses, and bike/pedestrian routes is the only real way to reduce the number of people commuting by cars.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2017, 9:18 PM

you cant fix the bottle neck on i205 through oc and wes linn. the freeway is in a deep rock ditch and that bridge isnt wide. the freeways should have been built with three lanes everywhere. also light rail shoul have gone along the whole freeway

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 6:48 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubu View Post
you cant fix the bottle neck on i205 through oc and wes linn. the freeway is in a deep rock ditch and that bridge isnt wide. the freeways should have been built with three lanes everywhere. also light rail shoul have gone along the whole freeway
Actually the transportation bill that passed addresses this stretch and plans to reconstruct the bridge for three lanes each way and widen the freeway through the rock ditch so that the 205 is three lanes each way all the way to I-5.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
Actually the transportation bill that passed addresses this stretch and plans to reconstruct the bridge for three lanes each way and widen the freeway through the rock ditch so that the 205 is three lanes each way all the way to I-5.
there could be a new small bridge built and then the freeway bridge could be switched to three lanes. that might make it hard for some drivers. they diserve it haha but that bridge is old and probably should skip reconstruction.

now that i think about it you mean building a new freeway bridge, 2035 is about fifteen years.
hope theres a bike and pedestrian trail on the bridge. maybe a bike trail along i205 in west linn

Last edited by dubu; Oct 30, 2017 at 4:07 PM.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 4:10 PM

Quote:
there could be a new small bridge built and then the freeway bridge could be switched to three lanes. that might make it hard for some drivers. they diserve it haha but that bridge is old and probably should skip reconstruction.

now that i think about it you mean building a new freeway bridge, 2035 is about fifteen years.
hope theres a bike and pedestrian trail on the bridge. maybe a bike trail along i205 in west linn
Topics are getting confused...

The new 205 additions will be happening over the next few years.

This thread is about the 2035 comprehensive plan in Portland.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
Topics are getting confused...

The new 205 additions will be happening over the next few years.

This thread is about the 2035 comprehensive plan in Portland.
got any links? that would blow my mind

maybe im the only one but having a brand new huge bridge in oregon city would be amazing. it would be cool because oregon city is the oldest city in oregon or i think even the oldest city west of the mississippi. now days i bet you could make a good earthquake proof bridge. maybe its because i lived in oc most my life.

Last edited by dubu; Oct 30, 2017 at 5:45 PM.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 7:02 PM

Quote:
got any links? that would blow my mind

maybe im the only one but having a brand new huge bridge in oregon city would be amazing. it would be cool because oregon city is the oldest city in oregon or i think even the oldest city west of the mississippi. now days i bet you could make a good earthquake proof bridge. maybe its because i lived in oc most my life.
http://www.oregonlive.com/politics/i...ve_leader.html

Quote:
>> Adding lanes to Interstate 205 and replacing the Abernethy Bridge

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
Wow, it doesn’t say much. I can’t wait to hear more about it. Even though I don’t live there anymore. It’s not that far from here.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 7:51 PM

Portland's new Comprehensive Plan finally came into effect on Thursday. The Central City 2035 amendments are set to come into effect on July 9th.

Quote:
Tall Buildings Could Throw Shade On Portland's Chinatown-Japantown District

A new tower — or two, or three — could be coming to Portland’s New Chinatown-Japantown historic district.

In an effort to spur development in the struggling commercial district, Portland City Council voted Thursday to give developers the option of building taller buildings there.

The vote divided the City Council, with Mayor Ted Wheeler, Commissioners Dan Saltzman and Chloe Eudaly arguing that development would give the neighborhood a much-needed boost, while Commissioner Amanda Fritz argued it would effectively destroy it.
...continues at OPB.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 8:47 PM
A before E

That is good news, hopefully new development will improve the quality of life in Oldtown.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Parks, Metro, Urban Design & Heritage Issues