HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 2:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
I was about to say "definitely the same building" but something wonky is going on with the roof.

The two side angles of the roof are uneven in the old LAPL photo but they are the same equal in the present day photo and yet the width of the building appears unchanged.....How'd they do dat?

I posit 4619 W Melrose Ave is the proper address and is still there.

The current facade was apparently remodeled with two bay windows.

Covered by the large rectangular sign appears to be the roof we're looking for. And the yellow arrow points to the detent in the next door roof (missing from the GSV impage of 4625).

(GSV, hosted by me)

Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 2:59 AM

Quote:
I was about to say "definitely the same building" but something wonky is going on with the roof.

The two side angles of the roof are uneven in the old LAPL photo but they are the same equal in the present day photo and yet the width of the building appears unchanged.....How'd they do dat?

I wish I knew how to post screenshots but if you look at the building on Google Earth, 4619 is still there and is still the same building. You can tell from the shape of the roof to the right of the building and the roof line matches up. They've just plastered a giant rectangular storefront over the old girl.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 8:26 AM

Quote:
Here's a more down to earth tea room. (annnd a mystery location)

"Front window and entrance to the New England Tea Room, Los Angeles."

lapl

"A woman and man are seated at the window table, peering outside. The building address is 4619, but no street name is visible." ....< - - - That's the mystery.
These houses-cum-cafes remind me of a place from my childhood in Anaheim, Werner House on Lincoln Bl. a near downtown. It was a converted Craftsman-style house that served a different dish every night, but only that dish (e.g. Tuesday was chicken and dumplings, Wednesday was steak, etc.). It was a real treat to go there as a kid. I believe it was demolished in the 1970's during Anaheim's ill-advised downtown redevelopment project. I'dve searched for images but have never been able to find one.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 1:44 PM

John R. Avery was a Hollywood builder who developed the nec of Melrose & Ardmore in 1921...he was issued a number of permits for 4617-21-23-25 Melrose (and various -½s of them) on April 18 of that year for small stores and attendent dwellings--for example, 4619 was originally a store building, with 4619½ a dwelling. Various later permits allow for the alterations of the stores, which included hardware and liquor stores. In 1927 an alteration permit was issued referring to 4619 as a tea room...and in 1937 one was issued for the remodeling of its façade:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir_Noir View Post
I went looking for a tea room at a 4619 address. Could not find a New England Tea Room listing to suit. But I did find this.... 4623 Melrose Ave.

GSV

Could this be it with a bit chopped off ... and somethings moved ... oh and a street number change as well.
4623 was a hardware store--likely built this way, similar to but not quite the same as 4619--and not chopped off.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 9:41 PM

Haunted House Discotheque, 1963 slide.

found on eBay about a month ago.

Ok, I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that I didn't realize the Haunted House was located in the old Sardi's location. ..(I thought SARDI'S was on the opposite side of the street)

Note the Rector's Admiral Theater between the couple.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 29, 2021 at 9:44 PM.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 9:55 PM

Sonny and Cher go to "The Haunted House" nightclub:

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 11:46 PM

That's a fun video, Hoss. I didn't realize there was an actual 'haunted house' you had to walk through to get to the dance floor.
I also noticed a sign advertising lunch and dinner on the front door. I didn't know the place searched food either.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2020, 1:28 AM

I was surprised when I happened upon this photograph today.

"VINTAGE PHOTO BRITISH AIRWAYS CONCORDE ARRIVING AT LOS ANGELES AIRPORT 1970s" .....(it looks like it's taking off but I think that's how it landed)

eBay

I was under the impression the Concorde only flew in to (and out of) JFK before it was banned.

I obviously need to brush up on my aviation history.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jun 27, 2020 at 2:08 AM.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2020, 5:45 AM

Given all the Kirk Douglas / 15 yr old Natalie Wood stories, does anyone else find this a little creepy?

YouTube

Last edited by FredH; Jun 27, 2020 at 6:05 AM.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2020, 7:03 AM

Quote:

"VINTAGE PHOTO BRITISH AIRWAYS CONCORDE ARRIVING AT LOS ANGELES AIRPORT 1970s" .....(it looks like it's taking off but I think that's how it landed)

eBay

I was under the impression the Concorde only flew in to (and out of) JFK before it was banned.

I think for a short while Brit. Airlines flew a weekly Concorde flight over the Pacific to Sydney and maybe Hong Kong from LAX and maybe SFX. The flights were expensive and didn't sell enough tickets so they were ended. The Concorde never got permission to fly over the land between LA & NY for example, so they only flew over the ocean so the sonic booms would only disturb the fish.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2020, 7:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredH View Post
Given all the Kirk Douglas / 15 yr old Natalie Wood stories, does anyone else find this a little creepy?

YouTube
Kirk was a good guy--broke the black list with Spartacus. Good Douglas film called "Lonely Are the Brave" that I try to watch whenver it is shown. Of all the films he made, Kirk liked that best. Kirk wanted to play the Nicholson roll of McMurphy in Cuckoo's Nest (he was in the stage play) but his son who owned the rights thought he was too old so Nic got it. Hard feelings between dad & son for awhile. But Nicholson WAS McMurphy.

Last edited by CaliNative; Jun 27, 2020 at 7:35 AM.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2020, 7:53 AM

Quote:

eBay

According to an article at dailybreeze.com:
On an overcast day in 1974, the Concorde 2 supersonic transport (SST) airplane flew into LAX, the first time the SST had visited Southern California.

Traveling at a top speed nearing 1,400 mph, the plane left Anchorage, Alaska at 1:16 p.m. on Oct. 23, 1974, slightly later than planned. Thousands of spectators lining viewing areas at LAX and watching from nearby buildings and hillsides had to wait a few extra minutes for the 3:49 p.m. landing.

The event was part of a promotional United States tour on behalf of the Concorde, the product of a collaboration begun in the 1950s between the French and British companies Aerospatiale and the British Aircraft Corporation to produce a supersonic jetliner for longer routes.

After its landing, the aircraft was put on public display the next day at the B-4 hangar at LAX near Sepulveda Boulevard and Imperial Highway. The five-hour display created massive traffic jams at the airport. Concorde officials estimated that 100,000 people from throughout Southern California viewed the plane.

But, despite years of battling, the Concorde never would be approved to operate out of LAX. Its noise levels, especially on takeoff, were deemed too loud to meet the airport’s noise standards and the airport beat back several attempts to allow SST aircraft to use its facilities.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2020, 4:07 PM

Thanks for the information on the SST CaliNative and Hoss. I always appreciate it.

To be honest I was never as enamored with the SST as I was with the Boeing 747. (I was born in 1960 so all these innovations occurred when I was a kid)

pinterest (sucks). I never found the original source

re: Growing up in the 1960s.

I wanted to be an astronaut but that didn't work out.

I should have aimed a little lower. lol

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jun 27, 2020 at 10:15 PM.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2020, 4:38 PM

:preview:

Quote:

To be honest I was never as enamored with the SST as I was with the Boeing 747. (I was born in 1960 so all these innovations occurred when I was a kid)
I never flew on the Concorde, but I've been aboard one at a museum. They were definitely build for speed and not interior space - there were just two seats either side of a narrow center aisle. I seem to remember that the windows were really small too.

Quote:

re: Growing up in the 1960s.

I wanted to be an astronaut but that didn't work out.
Reminds me of a joke I saw recently:
I always wanted to be an astronaut just like my Dad.

He always wanted to be an astronaut too...

Old Posted Jun 27, 2020, 7:01 PM

^^^

What museum, Hoss? I, too, was aboard one of those in a museum, outside London I think. I agree with your assessment of it. Somehow I had gotten the notion it was high-end and luxurious, but it felt like being in a test tube. It also seemed to me the exterior was rather thin.

I had a British friend who did fly on one once. He kept some souvenir from the trip, but I don't recall if it was something like a swizzle stick or what it was, but it said Concorde on it.

Astronaut: On a game show recently I discovered that this word comes from Greek words meaning "star sailor." I think we should use those words!

Old Posted Jun 27, 2020, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredH View Post

I find it creeper that she was with George Jessell. Talk about a haunted house.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2020, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post

What museum, Hoss? I, too, was aboard one of those in a museum, outside London I think.
It was Brooklands Museum in Surrey (just outside London), so probably the same one. It's also the site of the world's first purpose-built 'banked' motor racing circuit, some of which still exists.

I was also in London on October 24, 2003 when the last three Concordes circled overhead before landing in sequence at Heathrow. It was quite a sight. Even up until the end, people used to look up whenever a Concorde was passing overhead.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2020, 9:05 PM

Although I've flown on all variety of 747's over the years, and A380's as well, I still maintain they're too big to fly.

It's one of life's mysteries that I'm forced to accept.

(Is it witchcraft? Is it magic? Lift, thrust, light weight materials - I guess I'll never know...)

Old Posted Jun 28, 2020, 11:56 AM

Random ad in the 1898 CD:

LAPL

Old Posted Jun 28, 2020, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
It was Brooklands Museum in Surrey (just outside London), so probably the same one.
What a coinkydink! Now if it was the same day...!

Whenever I hear "Concorde" I always first think of grape juice. And, yes, I know there's no "e" on the grape juice.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos